Raldoron

Dragon Breed Statistics?

2 hours ago, Draconiusultamius said:

It'd be nice to see purebred and inbred though, since those are valid.  It'd also be nice to sort by relation and bred on scroll, since it's hard for me to stay organized sometimes.

But they are not actually 'valid'  terms of the game itself. To users, yes, but not to the game. Unless by 'valid' you simply mean that they exist, which can be said for any lineage. The game itself makes no distinction at all between purebreds, 'clean', inbred, etc, and I'm not sure I would want it to start. If a user wants to know which dragons are inbred it's very easy to throw the code into an inbred checker, many hatcheries have those. I'd very much prefer the game to stay completely neutral on that. It would be interesting to see how many of my dragons are ones I bred myself, though.

Any of these criteria might or might not be relevant to any individual player, though. There will always be someone who wants an automatic sort filter that will find all their - say - monarch x albino lines. The only thing I can see being a reasonable ask would be finding CBs. Anything else - except possibly PBs - will have people wanting it tweaked to fit THEIR breedings.

If you have a lineage though - groups WILL do that up to a point:

Lineage

Add any dragons from the same lineages (parents, grandparents, etc) that you own to the group

Hey, I was wondering if there is or could be a statistic to see which breeds are most/least numerous owned. I believe it might be interesting to see. 

This way we might be able to pay attention to lesser commonly owned breeds, for example. 

My worry about breed counters is that it might give a false indication of breed ratios. It wouldn't provide an accurate snapshot of how breed ratios work and how breeds are likely to drop in the cave, but it could be interpreted that way. 

From the ToS:

Reverse Engineering

Users of the site agree not to reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to derive any processes or formulas used by the site’s internal calculations.

I'm not really sure what the benefit of this information would be but I worry that it would encourage people to try to work out/analyse how ratios work as a result, which would go against the above point in the ToS. Maybe I'm just being cynical, though. 

Are there any suggestions for statistics that could be displayed that perhaps don't come as close to revealing info about ratios etc? For example, maybe a list of the three egg breeds that sit in the cave for the least amount of time in a given month, and the three breeds that sit for the longest? That would give an indication of which breeds aren't being picked up very quickly and could encourage people to grab them more often. 

Someone was doing that a while ago - Jack_Indivisible , I think... I can't find the thread.

ETA can too:

Edited by Fuzzbucket

13 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

My worry about breed counters is that it might give a false indication of breed ratios. It wouldn't provide an accurate snapshot of how breed ratios work and how breeds are likely to drop in the cave, but it could be interpreted that way. 

What if the scroll stats were only visible to their owner? I mean, if there're people who don't want other people able to temp-sort their scrolls, the very same people would probably not want someone else to be easily able to tell how many dragons of breed X they have...

That isn't at all what the OP wants, of course...

On 4/9/2018 at 6:39 AM, Raldoron said:

I've searched for similar titles or discussions, but didn't find relevant.

Built-in Dragcave counters for:

- Total number of dragons in the game, this one to put to the main page somewhere below the clock

- Total number of the specific breeds in the game, and this one to be put into Encyclopedia, to avoid annoying people in dragon profiles. It actually has a good place for it under Elemental Affinity.

Also search engine to identify dragons by name. I.e. if the name, for example, is already taken, you might be interested to see to whom it belongs to, taking you to the dragon profile.

I am not actually aware if there are any sites that count that already, but having there in one place might be useful.

(but @Raldoron you can go to a named dragon using view/n/the name you want to look at )

On 3/11/2019 at 3:29 AM, olympe said:

What if the scroll stats were only visible to their owner? I mean, if there're people who don't want other people able to temp-sort their scrolls, the very same people would probably not want someone else to be easily able to tell how many dragons of breed X they have...

I interpreted @nordana's suggestion as meaning cave-wide dragon statistics. eg. "x number of Red dragons have been adopted/bred on this site since the beginning of time." I wouldn't have a problem with scroll-specific statistics. It would be great to have a bit more information about our own scrolls visible to us and it would save me individually counting them. :P 

Edited by StormWizard212

I don't think site-wide statistics are going to fly, since this could lead to reverse engineering. But for each and every scroll - even if you got the data from 100 scrolls, you'd still have a hard time finding any kind of formula this way.

To do it for your own scroll - groups work. Tedious - though how many breeds do you need to count: make a group and add one dragon of the type you want counting and select "all dragons of this breed."

When you've done that - go select a dragon of the next breed, repeat and the difference is the count for THAT breed - and so on. (Or delete the group and start over.)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

On 4/14/2018 at 11:28 AM, MessengerDragon said:

So knowing the total number of the dragon breed in existence could be helpful for this. Especially, I think, could be helpful to know when breeding those notorious common x common pairings.

If you want to roughly estimate your chances at getting a specific breed from pairing X with Y, the current market prices may give you a hint. You're more likely to produce a 100-shard breed than a 1000-shard breed.

24 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

If you want to roughly estimate your chances at getting a specific breed from pairing X with Y, the current market prices may give you a hint. You're more likely to produce a 100-shard breed than a 1000-shard breed.

Unless, of course, you're breeding an old 100-shard breed to a new 100-shard breed. XD In which case you get 99% of the newer 100-shard breed.

I would be interested in this in a sort of random-curiosity way, or at least the idea which seems to have appeared somewhere in the thread of per-breed counters (all time + past few months).

On 3/6/2019 at 2:43 AM, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I think this’d be really interesting too! It’s not necessary but still it’d be nice to have :) 

Yes. I agree. I wouldn't be OPPOSED to having the information, necessarily. 

I would be interested in knowing how many of a given breed I currently have, as well. 

NT necessary as was said, but it would be interesting to know, for example, how many reds, waters or golds exist in DC.

I support this as well. 

As for the reverse engineering why punish the majority over fears of what the few MIGHT do? Theres no proof that people will all of a sudden gain the knowledge on how to reverse engineer and then do it if a site wide breed count of the ratios was implemented. 

I feel that if someone wanted to reverse engineer and had to ability to do so then they would have done so already. 

If someone does reverse engineer then just ban them. 😕 a lot of fears and assumptions about fictional people.