Raldoron

Dragon Breed Statistics?

I've searched for similar titles or discussions, but didn't find relevant.

Built-in Dragcave counters for:

- Total number of dragons in the game, this one to put to the main page somewhere below the clock

- Total number of the specific breeds in the game, and this one to be put into Encyclopedia, to avoid annoying people in dragon profiles. It actually has a good place for it under Elemental Affinity.

Also search engine to identify dragons by name. I.e. if the name, for example, is already taken, you might be interested to see to whom it belongs to, taking you to the dragon profile.

I am not actually aware if there are any sites that count that already, but having there in one place might be useful.

Also search engine to identify dragons by name. I.e. if the name, for example, is already taken, you might be interested to see to whom it belongs to, taking you to the dragon profile.

You can type dragcave.net/lineage/n/dragonnamehere to see if it was taken. Like so: https://dragcave.net/lineage/n/Timezone Crinitus

Edited by Orchi'dea

2 hours ago, Raldoron said:

- Total number of dragons in the game, this one to put to the main page somewhere below the clock

This information would be useful to have in the encyclopedia. :) While there is a counter of how many unique breeds we have on our scrolls, maybe a unique breed counter in the encyclopedia would also be useful so people can track how many breeds they're missing.

2 hours ago, Raldoron said:

- Total number of the specific breeds in the game, and this one to be put into Encyclopedia, to avoid annoying people in dragon profiles. It actually has a good place for it under Elemental Affinity.

Could you clarify exactly what you mean? On each dragon's encyclopedia page, do you mean you'd like a number of exactly how many of that breed exists on other people's scrolls? If that's the case, what is your rationale behind wanting this information? The numbers would be so huge that I personally don't see what would be gained from seeing them. Or did you mean how many you have of that specific breed on your scroll? A counter on each dragon's encyclopedia that shows how many of a given breed are on the individual's scroll is something I would find much more useful and interesting. That sort of counter is one that I'd like. 

No, I meant the total number of dragons in all the scrolls in the game, except for eggs and dead dragons. Perhaps also wild dragons, since they come from scrolls as well. If they don't get deleted after an months that is. There's hardly any practical benefit from it, just curiousity? Comparison? Seeing some people have thousands, what would be the total number? Why isn't that interesting? Same thing is for encyclopedia breeds. Counting specific breeds on your own scroll is only marginally more useful, for measurement purposes, so probably this too.

There's not much rationale for counting frozen hatchlings or different genders in your signature banner except for that purpose.

Edited by Raldoron

I wonder how feasible an actual up-to-date counter of total dragons on the entire site is... It would have to be updating constantly to be accurate. I guess something that updates once a day or somesuch would still be somewhat useful, but given how many users there are something that's only updated once a day could be off by thousands. (And I know TJ has said that lag isn't a valid reason to oppose a suggestion, but I can't help but wonder what a constantly-updating dragon counter would do to site speed). 

On 4/8/2018 at 10:39 PM, Raldoron said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a good place under Elemental Affinity... The only place in the Encyclopedia that actually says 'Elemental Affinity' is on each dragon's individual entry, so I assume that's what you mean, but why would a breed's individual entry include information about total number of breeds in the whole game? 

edit: I realize now that you may mean total number of *that breed*. I'm not really sure what the benefit would be there though... Like the other counter it would have to be updating pretty much every single second to actually be of any real use, since hundreds of new dragons of one breed could be made within minutes. I'd honestly think it would be a waste of resources, how many people would actually care about information like that? And an incorrect counter would be pretty useless, much worse then no counter at all, imo, and it would be constantly incorrect unless it's just constantly updated in real time.

Edited by HeatherMarie

I am a desperately curious person - but even I can't see the point of this one....

Well, it would allow you to see which dragons there are a lot of and which ones aren't so popular, and if ratios are based on how many of that dragon type exists, then that could be useful for that as well.

But we already know that ratios are NOT based on how many of each exist in total and that the ratios reset every year....

I think maybe I misinterpreted the original suggestion. I thought by 'total number of dragons in the game', you meant total number of unique breeds. That is information that I think would be useful to have somewhere in the encyclopedia. If the suggestion is how many dragons total (from every person's scroll) exist then I think this is pretty unnecessary information. The number would be so high that I think it would ultimately be rather meaningless, to be honest. 

I could, however, get behind a total number of unique breeds. :) Likewise, I would be happy to see a section of each dragon's encyclopedia entry that says how many of that breed are on my personal scroll, rather than a total number on the entire site. That information just seems a lot more practical to me. 

Total number of BREEDS - as one who has some of everything - the number is shown on the scroll of anyone who has them all under "number of unique breeds": as of now it is 207.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Total number of BREEDS - as one who has some of everything - the number is shown on the scroll of anyone who has them all under "number of unique breeds": as of now it is 207.

I meant this as a suggestion more for the use of new players to the game, who are still collecting and learning. It's the sort of feature that I think would be useful to have on the main page of the encyclopedia for new players who aren't quite sure how far along they are in terms of their own collecting. It would make it a little easier than them needing to individually count each tile on the encyclopedia. :P It would also provide a little more context for the unique breed counter on their individual scroll.  

I thought that was what @Raldoron had been suggesting with their first dot point, but after reading the other replies in this thread, I've realised I misinterpreted the original suggestion. But regardless, I do think that personal breed counters would be more useful than counters for total dragons in the game across every scroll. 

Maybe that would fit on the front page of the encyclopaedia - at the top of the page it could just say "Total unique breeds 207..."

As to the rest - we CAN sort by breed and count.... It's not that hard; if you have a shedload as I do, you know how many are on a page, which saves time...

15 hours ago, MessengerDragon said:

Well, it would allow you to see which dragons there are a lot of and which ones aren't so popular, and if ratios are based on how many of that dragon type exists, then that could be useful for that as well.

It doesn't seem like a total-in-whole-game counter would help with those things at all... Unless something has drastically changed recently, ratios have nothing to do with total number of the breed in the game. And as for what is 'popular' a total count won't show that at all, since breed popularity can vary drastically from year to year and even month to month. Whether or not a breed has more or less *total* numbers across the entire game says nothing of it's general popularity right now.

On 11.04.2018 at 12:49 PM, HeatherMarie said:

I'm not sure what you mean by a good place under Elemental Affinity

Well, maybe I should have said "below"? Anyway, I'm just pointing to the exact place to put the counters. The Encyclopedia pages are structrured such that adding more info just above "Appearance" would look fine. Also since you keep talking, maybe also adding autosorting your own dragons from the page would improve utility. I mean some people may have spend hours creating groups and cataloguing, but it might useful to have it out of the box. So, total number of _dragonbreed_ in the game, the amount of _dragonbreed_ you have and a button leading to yours autogrouped.

3 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

It doesn't seem like a total-in-whole-game counter would help with those things at all...

I think it would, but only marginally. Some people like hoarding particular breed, some hunt of the rarest/popular. Like I said it doesn't exactly much of a utility except for measurement. I'm just spewing random idea that recently came to mind. If it sounds lame, well, nevermind.

20 minutes ago, Raldoron said:

I think it would, but only marginally. Some people like hoarding particular breed, some hunt of the rarest/popular. Like I said it doesn't exactly much of a utility except for measurement. I'm just spewing random idea that recently came to mind. If it sounds lame, well, nevermind.

But as I said above, a counter of the total number of a breed in the game doesn't show what is rare or popular at all. For example, I'm sure there are *tons* more Golds then Florets, in terms of total numbers, simply because Florets are very new and Golds are very old... But that doesn't mean Florets are more rare then Golds, or more popular. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, how exactly do you think a 'total' counter would show rarity or popularity?

edit: I was thinking, if people are interested in having a better idea of a breed's actual popularity at the moment, maybe a counter for how many of that breed has been raised that month, or in the past 6 months or something. That would at least be more accurate, I guess.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Is this mainly just a cosmetic want? If so I, at least personally, don't see much of a use for this. If this suggestion actually did something to help people fill out their Encyclopedia articles, then I would actually see some use to something like this but, really? I don't see much use except cosmetically for a dragon counter, especially when one considers just how many dragons of each breed are generated each day.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:32 AM, HeatherMarie said:

It doesn't seem like a total-in-whole-game counter would help with those things at all... Unless something has drastically changed recently, ratios have nothing to do with total number of the breed in the game. And as for what is 'popular' a total count won't show that at all, since breed popularity can vary drastically from year to year and even month to month. Whether or not a breed has more or less *total* numbers across the entire game says nothing of it's general popularity right now.

Okay, good point about the popularity.

But regarding ratios, quoting from dragon cave help page:

[...] If there are too many dragons of a specific breed, [...] dragons of that breed will be less likely to produce offspring.

On the other hand, if a breed is underpopulated, [...] will be more successful at producing offspring.

[...] is something you will need to keep in mind when hunting for eggs and trying to have your dragons breed. If you’re trying to find an egg from an overpopulated breed, your search will be more difficult than when trying to find eggs of a less plentiful breed.

So knowing the total number of the dragon breed in existence could be helpful for this. Especially, I think, could be helpful to know when breeding those notorious common x common pairings.

Hmm, does that mean the ratios are calculated differently now? It used to be that dragons would only count towards the ratios for one year (at least that was what was commonly understood). That's why I said a total counter wouldn't show anything regarding ratios, if dragons only actually count towards ratios for one year. If that has changed, though, I could see how it may be useful. 

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Hmm, does that mean the ratios are calculated differently now? It used to be that dragons would only count towards the ratios for one year (at least that was what was commonly understood). That's why I said a total counter wouldn't show anything regarding ratios, if dragons only actually count towards ratios for one year. If that has changed, though, I could see how it may be useful. 

That's also my understanding. Can someone ask TJ ?

I would like to know what, of each breed I currently have (caveborn, bred, gender, frozen). Also, the number of each 'subspecies' of dragon (eg. Green and blue baikala), the number of each type of dragon (western, drake, wingless, Pygmy, two-headed, wyvern), etc.  It's also be helpful for breeding and such.  I don't know how difficult it would be to implement this, but a search function for individual dragons would be great.  That way, I could find specific dragons on my scroll that I know I have, but don't remember the exact name or code of.

Um - database. Instant info. And a record for when anything goes pearshaped on line.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Um - database. Instant info. And a record for when anything goes pearshaped on line.

Just because this is an alternative, doesn't mean it's one that works for everyone. It's the type of thing I think people would need to begin in the early stages of their collection. By the time you get to a few thousand dragons you're trying to input data about, that becomes a huge and time consuming task that a lot of people simply aren't going to be willing to undertake - especially if the benefits aren't that great to them personally and their play style.

I would be happy to see some of the stats @Draconiusultamius mentioned for ease of use. I'm not sure if it will be possible to get statistics for specific lineages, though, since TJ has said in the past and quite recently that it would be weird for the site to take a stance on what sort of lineages are "valid". For that reason, it might be easier to have a feature which counts specific breeds and subspecies, but then organise your CBs and particular lineages by groups. Unless the lineage counter was purely designed to search by generation, which wouldn't invalidate particular lineages and lineage types. That would be more inclusive. 

There's a great suggestion already for an in-scroll search field which might cover the searching element that you mentioned. I'll link it below. It's worth checking out. :)

I think scroll-specific stats, like how many of each breed you personally have and such, would be much more interesting and much more useful then a game-wide counter, I'd definitely support more scroll stats.

3 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

Just because this is an alternative, doesn't mean it's one that works for everyone. It's the type of thing I think people would need to begin in the early stages of their collection. By the time you get to a few thousand dragons you're trying to input data about, that becomes a huge and time consuming task that a lot of people simply aren't going to be willing to undertake - especially if the benefits aren't that great to them personally and their play style.

I would be happy to see some of the stats @Draconiusultamius mentioned for ease of use. I'm not sure if it will be possible to get statistics for specific lineages, though, since TJ has said in the past and quite recently that it would be weird for the site to take a stance on what sort of lineages are "valid". For that reason, it might be easier to have a feature which counts specific breeds and subspecies, but then organise your CBs and particular lineages by groups. Unless the lineage counter was purely designed to search by generation, which wouldn't invalidate particular lineages and lineage types. That would be more inclusive. 

There's a great suggestion already for an in-scroll search field which might cover the searching element that you mentioned. I'll link it below. It's worth checking out. :)

It'd be nice to see purebred and inbred though, since those are valid.  It'd also be nice to sort by relation and bred on scroll, since it's hard for me to stay organized sometimes.