TJ09

2019-03-04 - Festival of Eggs Submissions

I super really want to do this, but my art is rusty, and my digital art is non-existent. XD

I will try anyway! I've been needing to get back into practicing my arts, so this would be a good way to get back into the swing of things. :D

11 hours ago, TJ09 said:

After seeing how much interest there is from many people in submitting eggs, I am revising the submission rules to only one egg per person. The first post has been updated with this information.

If you have already submitted multiple eggs, feel free to update your PM thread with the one you'd like to use, otherwise we'll probably follow up with you to confirm.

Dang. I had a set I wanted to make. Oh well. I'll just pick one...

[Or make a gif... But that would take way too much effort.)

On 3/4/2019 at 3:47 AM, Wingweeper said:

Oh, how exciting! Too bad I don't know how to make pixel art, though. Good luck to those who enter!

Yea, I was thinking the same. I may try clicking around a bit to see what I might possibly do for the fun of it :) Thanks TJ!

Edited by priscel

On 3/6/2019 at 11:55 PM, SkyWolf25 said:

While it's currently not against the rules, we'd discourage you from making that many eggs as we want as much people to have a chance at having their egg in the event.

Okay and thank you for replying to me. I see TJ said 1 egg per person. I'm glad I have been working on a 1 egg submission also. Maybe my other eggs will see the light of day another year. At least I have time to really refine them. I think people will find the detail impressive for my to still be pretty new at spriting. I think it's been 3 years...going on 4 this year now. Working on eggs has allowed me to learn some new tricks pretty fast. I even learned stuff I didn't know how to do so that's great even if my egg doesn't make it in. XD

I'm not a pixel artist but it will be exciting to see work from new event spriters! Thanks, this is a great idea!

On 3/4/2019 at 2:00 AM, TJ09 said:

There are a limited number of spots available. Eggs will be accepted on a first come, first served basis which only applies when the art is accepted (that is, if you need to make changes and resubmit, that bumps you to the back of the line).

So then will we know earlier than the deadline if our work has or has not made the cut?

So I tried my hand at pixel art last night (if I understand how it actually works), and let me just say I have a newfound appreciation for the work that goes into...well...our pixels.  I will keep trying and maybe get something submitted, but daaaaangggggg.  :)

Ooh! How exciting. I'd only know how to do an extremely flat color, though. 

Can't wait to see them!

Submitted mine!  I gave it my best shot :D

Very excited to see all the eggs this year, I wonder if there will be more eggs than usual.... 

It's gonna be tough to decide which make the final cut, there's so much talent here!

Something I never said is that I wish luck to all those who make a submission!

I've made mine already, and I really wonder how it's gonna go. I'm hoping I'll be able to make it, but if not then oh well lol. Maybe another time XD Regardless I can't wait to see what kinds of eggs are going to be available for collecting this year, might even collect them all this time.

On 3/4/2019 at 5:45 AM, Mewtie said:

You can find them here. :3

I am brand new to this but eager to try. :) Thank you for giving us the link to the templates. 

Question for anyone: I tried saving to my iPad camera roll (the blank regular size egg outline) and then importing it into an iPad pixel art app called Dottable. The outline looks very blurry; is it supposed to look like that? I was going to try to do this on my iPad with Apple Pencil. 

My canvas is sized 50x50. One layer has the blurry egg outline, and the second layer I am currently in I can draw in. Just wanted to ask if the super blur on the egg is normal. Thanks! 

52 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I am brand new to this but eager to try. :) Thank you for giving us the link to the templates. 

Question for anyone: I tried saving to my iPad camera roll (the blank regular size egg outline) and then importing it into an iPad pixel art app called Dottable. The outline looks very blurry; is it supposed to look like that? I was going to try to do this on my iPad with Apple Pencil. 

My canvas is sized 50x50. One layer has the blurry egg outline, and the second layer I am currently in I can draw in. Just wanted to ask if the super blur on the egg is normal. Thanks! 

The blurry outline is not normal. Check the egg image in the gallery to see if it saved as a jpg file; I've had trouble in the past with iPads not saving pngs as pngs.

Okay, thank you, SkyWolf :) I will check it and figure something out.

2 hours ago, Snowwall said:

Does the egg have to be based on DC template?

Yes, it should be based on one of the three (normal, drake, pygmy) egg templates.

Should those of us who've submitted something expect some sort of confirmation that our submission has been received? I sent mine in a couple of days ago, but I haven't heard anything and I just realised I'm not seeing it in my 'sent'. Did it glitch?

If it's not in your sent then I believe it means it's not been sent? you could try resending it

Edited by Dohaerys

We'll see what happens when they see mine.  It's not great, but for a first effort, I guess.   *finds ice for wrists*

Sent mine! I hope it makes the cut :) 

Edited by Arkee

Oh this is very cool but bloody heck how do spriters do this all the time. I can't do anything digital at all but I wanted to try anyway - and it took me two days to figure out how to put together a tiny egg haha! Sent it in now, hope it's passable 😕

(Also wish I saw there is a shading template before I started. Can't shade anything if my life depends on it and that's where I got stuck the most)

Edited by Yhme

7 minutes ago, Yhme said:

Oh this is very cool but bloody heck how do spriters do this all the time. I can't do anything digital at all but I wanted to try anyway - and it took me two days to figure out how to put together a tiny egg haha! Sent it in now, hope it's passable 😕

(Also wish I saw there is a shading template before I started. Can't shade anything if my life depends on it and that's where I got stuck the most)

You're not required to use that exact shading template.  However, it's a helpful reference for a 3D egg shading shape.  Highlights and shadows are your friend.

I know there's only one submission per person, but darn I wish I'd come up with the idea I got tonight, last night, before I hit send.  Maybe next year, if I make the grade this year.

Got mine sent in. First time doing sprites, so I'm sure it's lousy and or I messed something up. hahaha