TJ09

2019-03-04 - Festival of Eggs Submissions

37 minutes ago, kittyrules2003 said:

Did anyone find out if original fanart is allowed? Such as these:

latest?cb=20140420221611latest?cb=20150405164604latest?cb=20160327124650latest?cb=20160327125102 latest?cb=20160327123919latest?cb=20170416055110

On 3/4/2019 at 3:42 PM, SkyWolf25 said:

References are allowed, yes. It's just tracing that's not allowed. 

Just now, brownings said:

I'm using GIMP and have a question. In GIMP image size and canvas size are two different functions, the image is with canvas is 50x75px but the image is smaller, does the canvas size need to be the same as the image?

GIMP has a "Crop to Content" functionality from the "Image" dropdown––use this and it should crop the canvas to the size of the actual image content. This needs to be within 50x50.

Just now, PieMaster said:

GIMP has a "Crop to Content" functionality from the "Image" dropdown––use this and it should crop the canvas to the size of the actual image content. This needs to be within 50x50.

Thank you!

Just now, brownings said:

Thank you!

No problem! I personally use GIMP for all my spriting, so if you've got any more questions about the program, just send me a DM!

Just wondering, what would you exactly classify as Dragcave's style? I started pixel art because I was inspired by this platform, and I went on to sprite for things like Terraria. However, different games have different styles.

I'm interested in joining this contest, but I would like a clear overview of the style.

From my observations, there's a decent amount of dithering in dragcave's art. I'm not a fan of dithering, but if it puts me in style, then I'll use it.

1 minute ago, MadameZ said:

Just wondering, what would you exactly classify as Dragcave's style? I started pixel art because I was inspired by this platform, and I went on to sprite for things like Terraria. However, different games have different styles.

I'm interested in joining this contest, but I would like a clear overview of the style.

From my observations, there's a decent amount of dithering in dragcave's art. I'm not a fan of dithering, but if it puts me in style, then I'll use it.

You can submit your egg with your style, don't be afraid, just look at the eggs from past years, you see many differend art styles in there. If there is something wrong which don't work for dc you will get a PM back with a suggestion how you could change that problem.

2 minutes ago, Shajana said:

You can submit your egg with your style, don't be afraid, just look at the eggs from past years, you see many differend art styles in there. If there is something wrong which don't work for dc you will get a PM back with a suggestion how you could change that problem.

That clarifies things. Thanks!

I wish I could draw worth a darn but I'm glad that other people can. I wish them all the best with those great Easter eggs, one of my favorite events. Thanks to TJ and all the spriters for all their creative talents.

8 hours ago, Naraku said:

Would animated PNG files be accepted as well? For alpha transparency.

If you mean GIFs, yes, as long as each frame doesn't have anti-aliasing.

11 hours ago, Naraku said:

Animated PNG files (APNG for short) are PNG files so I hope that they will be accepted.

Old software that does not support the optional PNG chunks for animations will display them as static images, so this ensures 100% compatibility for viewing the first frame of the animation.

Contrary to GIF files that only support binary transparency in animations, APNG provides full alpha transparency.  This is the only way to have semi-transparent animated eggs: semi-transparent static eggs can be done with non-animated PNG files, animated but solid eggs can be done with GIF, and the combination of semi-transparency and animation can only be done with APNG.

Most major browsers support APNG and have supported it for several years: it is supported in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and all browsers on mobile phones. The only exceptions are Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer that will display them as static PNG files (they will not be animated, but will be displayed anyway).  Considering that the next version of Edge based on the Chromium engine should also support APNG, this will soon leave only the old and unsupported IE as the only browser that displays the APNG files without animating them,

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, meirelle said:

So in order to upload your egg into the message, you need to upload the image into the forums post box (don't post, though!), and then go get your message ready, attach the image, send, and then you can delete the image in the post box. I think it stays in the attachments that way. I just checked my sent messages, and the egg still shows up, so I think that will work. Just in case, though, I included a hidden imgur link.

Thank you so much for this! Finally decided to try making an egg but was surprised that PM did not let you upload stuff from your comp. I didn't want to try figuring out Imgur since I've never used it and, since this is supposed to be a private submission, I didn't want to risk accidentally publicly uploading it and having my entry invalid.

Of course right after I submitted, somebody told me I could've used sta.sh on deviantART too... At least I know for (maybe) next time!

EDIT: Note to anyone, make 100% sure your attachment is deleted before posting anywhere afterward. It seems to like staying in your attachments in subsequent posts, so be careful! Don't want anyone invalidated because of that. :/

Edited by animatedrose

Oaky, this is quite cool!!! One question, does the image only allow one egg or could it have two? Like in a nest?

19 hours ago, Naraku said:

APNG files are allowed, yes. Unfortunately, they won't appear animated in every browser, like Bugzilla said.

3 hours ago, Espio_Chameleon said:

Oaky, this is quite cool!!! One question, does the image only allow one egg or could it have two? Like in a nest?

If used to form a coherent whole, I think multiple eggs in one image are probably fine. Randomly putting multiple eggs into one image without a conclusive idea behind it is... unlikely to get accepted, I believe.

Basically, I recommend not to do it just to put multiple eggs into one image, but because you have an idea that emphatically screams at you to do it.

On 3/5/2019 at 1:22 AM, Ruff415 said:

Are we allowed to make multiple submissions? 

Yes.

Oh heck yes!

I've been sitting on some designs, since the last time I was invited to join.

Now, I get to try once again! :DDDDDD

I just spent a good few hours making my submission!

If our egg is accepted, will we be told via private message? Or will we just see it when the festival of eggs begins?

I'll be entering. I'm excited to see what all gets chosen!

Edited by Cowfish249

I almost forgot to ask...is there is limit on how many eggs we can submit? Like up to only 7 or less for example. I'm asking because I have an idea that just might result in a series of eggs for the whole thing to be complete. That's all I'll say because I don't want to give anything away. If I can't submit as many eggs as I would like then I have a back up idea I'm working on too. ^^

Edited by Ayumi_Seto

2 hours ago, Ayumi_Seto said:

I almost forgot to ask...is there is limit on how many eggs we can submit? Like up to only 7 or less for example. I'm asking because I have an idea that just might result in a series of eggs for the whole thing to be complete. That's all I'll say because I don't want to give anything away. If I can't submit as many eggs as I would like then I have a back up idea I'm working on too. ^^

While it's currently not against the rules, we'd discourage you from making that many eggs as we want as much people to have a chance at having their egg in the event.

If multiple submissions are allowed, then I'm all up for it! There was at least one other idea I had, but if I do wind up making another I'll keep my submission count limited to up to two or three haha. But just to be sure as it's not all that clear to me, in the event we submit e.g. two eggs that both get accepted, will both of them be available in the festival? Or only the best one?

After seeing how much interest there is from many people in submitting eggs, I am revising the submission rules to only one egg per person. The first post has been updated with this information.

If you have already submitted multiple eggs, feel free to update your PM thread with the one you'd like to use, otherwise we'll probably follow up with you to confirm.