High Lord November

Crystalize Eggs BSA

11 minutes ago, Princess Kiara said:

How about if the "you attempt to breed the dragons, but no egg is produced" message were replaced with "you attempt to breed the dragons, but only an infertile egg is produced"? That way, no viable egg would have been produced anyhow, but you get the option of keeping the empty shell.

That's been brought up many times, I'm not really a fan. Even if it only replaces the 'no egg' message, so there wouldn't have been a real egg anyways, people *are* going to get pissed at *finally* getting an egg and seeing that it's not fertile! I also don't think this should be a 'surprise' type of thing... If you want to freeze an egg, you should need to actually take specific action to do so. People who *don't* want frozen eggs randomly getting infertile eggs is really not going to help anything.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

That's been brought up many times, I'm not really a fan. Even if it only replaces the 'no egg' message, so there wouldn't have been a real egg anyways, people *are* going to get pissed at *finally* getting an egg and seeing that it's not fertile! I also don't think this should be a 'surprise' type of thing... If you want to freeze an egg, you should need to actually take specific action to do so. People who *don't* want frozen eggs randomly getting infertile eggs is really not going to help anything.

It also doesn't help if you want to freeze unbreedables like chickens. Or rares, where you might have to breed for months just to be able to get 'lucky' and grab an infertile egg.

And also, it brings up the problem of- what do you do when you get the infertile egg you want to keep, but then get more? Do you just have to boot them straight to the graveyard, or do they stay stuck on your scroll forever?
Not to mention the fact that it would be adding another chance of failure to breeding. (Can you imagine the amount of infertile eggs you'd get after a mass breed?)

I think it's important to let collecting egg sprites be similar to how we freeze hatchies now. It shouldn't be a chance thing - we already have so many things depend on chance that are very frustrating. 

9 hours ago, Princess Kiara said:

How about if the "you attempt to breed the dragons, but no egg is produced" message were replaced with "you attempt to breed the dragons, but only an infertile egg is produced"? That way, no viable egg would have been produced anyhow, but you get the option of keeping the empty shell.

As others already pointed out, people would still get angry about getting an empty shell of an egg. Also, it doesn't (and won't, as in ever) allow for collection of cracked eggs. 

On 3/2/2019 at 4:34 PM, purplehaze said:

The main objection I have seen to all of those is "but what happens to the baby dragon inside the egg?"

Nothing.gif

Is this suggestion going to die again? Like, honestly whatever works, like painted rock or preserve egg shells, anything literally.

I just want a way to keep those beautiful eggs other than having them in my signatures :( 

Edited by Haki

A couple things:

-- I'm a big fan of freezing eggs by any means. I had a BSA suggestion a while ago for Spitfires about encasing the shell in glass, but it ran into the same issues of "killing" the hatchling inside (which I personally am not opposed to, for the same reason as others here)

-- I don't think the Frostbites would work for something like this. They don't flash-freeze anything, which is probably what you're going for with this kind of magic. Even if they did, they'd leave behind a frost/icy residue on the actual egg, so it wouldn't make sense that the egg would look the same as always and not deteriorate. 

-- an idea: whether by bsa or natural action, we could attempt to pry/evacuate the hatchling from the egg. Something like, "You make a small hole to coax the hatchling from the egg." Dependent on age, either the hatchling refuses and you get a regular egg (can't use the action on this egg again), the hatchling bolts and ends up in the AP, or the hatchling bolts and ends up in the wilderness. "The hatchling refuses to leave the confines of the egg, so you decide to wait for it to hatch naturally on your own." "The hatchling makes a mad dash out of the shell and disappears into [the distance (ap)] or the wilderness. You patch up the egg shell left behind and preserve it on a shelf." Or it doesn't even have the chance of going to the AP-- perhaps it either doesn't hatch, or goes to the wilderness. That way people can't complain about the hatchling dying, but you don't get to have an alternate early-hatching/forcing method that circumvents using the kill action/Earthquake. It could increase in chances of success (ie, hatchling running away) the lower time it has? Would work on different stages too, perhaps with more success. 

If freezing eggs for sprites does become a thing, I really wouldn't want a chance of failure. Imagine if hatchling freezing had a chance of failure? This isn't supposed to be more than a simple challenge for collection sake. It gives no real benefits or advantages to anyone, in a sense that might justify a chance at failure (e.g. EQ). The challenge is getting the egg in the first place for a lot of breeds.

Edited by Ashywolf

I support this, I would love to freeze eggs! Maybe it should work like something like a spell that causes egg shell to stay when hatchling hatches. It could be cast on egg before hatching, and when hatchling comes out from egg, shell stays untouched in some way(?). Or whatever, just throwing an idea, which can get rid of ethical issues. If somebody had similar idea, then sorry, I didn't read all posts.