High Lord November

Crystalize Eggs BSA

Generally the rule for BSAs is find a dragon THEN something it can do; not I want this thing so lets try and shoehorn a dragon onto it. 

I would love to be able to freeze eggs.  Working like hatchlings would be fine for me.  I've never been too picky on method.  Though I don't really like "unfertilized eggs", if I've spent months trying to get a specific egg from a pair, I do not want to see it and then get that message meaning it's never going to hatch.  I've been here for 10 years, and I might seriously rage quit if something like that happened.

But if the "omg but the hatchling inside" is still a concern, (and if I remember correctly, TJ was part of this crowd, but feel free to ignore because that may not be the case.) Then my favorite "alternate" solution was the painted rocks.  It was a separate "biome" and as you learned what dragons eggs were which, you had a chance to paint a rock to look like it to perverse the image.  Which, thematically, if our scroll is covered in drawing of our dragons seems like something we should be able to do.

Edited by DragonLady86
proofreading

I haven't been on the forum much, but this is a rare case I want to have a say in this. I support every way to have eggs stay in my scroll, be it human action or BSA. Also, I don't need frozen eggs to be counted toward trophy since that could result in people abuse it. Hatchlings take time to hatch but eggs is a bit too easy to get. Anyways, I'm cool with either they count or not

8 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Generally the rule for BSAs is find a dragon THEN something it can do; not I want this thing so lets try and shoehorn a dragon onto it. 

I would love to be able to freeze eggs.  Working like hatchlings would be fine for me.  I've never been too picky on method.  Though I don't really like "unfertilized eggs", if I've spent months trying to get a specific egg from a pair, I do not want to see it and then get that message meaning it's never going to hatch.  I've been here for 10 years, and I might seriously rage quit if something like that happened.

But if the "omg but the hatchling inside" is still a concern, (and if I remember correctly, TJ was part of this crowd, but feel free to ignore because that may not be the case.) Then my favorite "alternate" solution was the painted rocks.  It was a separate "biome" and as you learned what dragons eggs were which, you had a chance to paint a rock to look like it to perverse the image.  Which, thematically, if our scroll is covered in drawing of our dragons seems like something we should be able to do.

The only issue with painted rocks is that you can't really "paint" fog or wisps or characteristics such as floating or water condensing around it.

I would really prefer to just freeze the egg, and yes, you end up freezing the yolk mix inside. Just like how the egg can die when you use earthquake. Simple and straightforward and there's precedence.

The other alternative to this I could see is being able to purchase enchanted crystals that look like the egg, for a few shards from the marketplace. They're meant to be decorative for people around Galsreim who don't want or can't keep dragons, but want a pretty keepsake. Or maybe you can get blank crystals and enchant them yourselves to mimic one of the eggs you currently have on your scroll. I see this as a bit excessive when there are simpler alternatives, but I would rather have this than nothing.

pretty sure the "painted rock" was a lore reason for the egg, it wouldn't actually change the sprite.

4 hours ago, High Lord November said:

The only issue with painted rocks is that you can't really "paint" fog or wisps or characteristics such as floating or water condensing around it.

You could magic them on, maybe?

Still, I can kind of see that true egg freezing might be preferable. Because someone might want to collect all stages of cracking - and how are you supposed to do that with any other method? Painted rocks and the like won't work in this instance.

9 hours ago, olympe said:

You could magic them on, maybe?

Still, I can kind of see that true egg freezing might be preferable. Because someone might want to collect all stages of cracking - and how are you supposed to do that with any other method? Painted rocks and the like won't work in this instance.

I can't see the need for that - whole eggs is as far as I'd support here.

Maybe - in terms of the infertile thing - have a BSA to make the dragon produce an infertile egg. That way there'd be no risk of getting one you wanted that wasn't fertile.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I can't see the need for that - whole eggs is as far as I'd support here.

Why? Wanting to collect all sprites would include all stages of cracking. Especially with things like Witchlights (those eyes!) or Shadow Walkers (transparency) or even Firegems (those custom cracking sequences with the fire coming out), this is more than understandable.

Simply OTT on what are basically non-dragons. But for those as wants them....

I would love to be able to collect all the cracking stages of some of the ones with custom cracking stages. I don't see the need to limit it only to the intact egg.

I think I favor it being a direct action rather than a BSA, with the same limits as "freeze" for hatchlings.

The trouble is people get all knicker-twisted about killing the embryo. Even TJ raised that as an issue way back when.

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The trouble is people get all knicker-twisted about killing the embryo. Even TJ raised that as an issue way back when.

I mean, the majority of people have no problem killing their adults as Zombie fodder, so I really don’t like that argument. If you want to keep an egg forever then you have to let whatever’s inside die, right? That’s just how it works.

I don't like it either, but it's there, and (if I could only find the post) even TJ has some sympathy. I don't, but I am known to be a cantankerous old granny !

And there are a lot of people here who won't do zombies or vampires for "humane reasons"...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't like it either, but it's there, and (if I could only find the post) even TJ has some sympathy. I don't, but I am known to be a cantankerous old granny !

And there are a lot of people here who won't do zombies or vampires for "humane reasons"...

And the very same people probably won't freeze eggs, either. While I, personally, have numerous vamps, I have no undeads (any more, I used to have three), hardly any neglecteds and no frozen hatchlings. However, not my scroll, not my business. In other words: Why cripple other people's play style due to my own squeamishness? Next thing we know, people ask to remove freezing, or killing/reviving, neglecting and risk of death for biting because it's "inhumane". 

Right on, olympe. Just like the people who want all their dragons monogamous, or object to their multis going to players they cannot control. Your scroll, your call. I probably woudn't freeze eggs - but just because I'm not that keen, not because I care about a pixel embryo !

As for undeads and neglecteds - the more the merrier. For ME. Not for you. That's how it should be.

Exactly. My scroll - my call. Not my scroll, not my business. That's always been one of the core principles of DC, and I find it hard to understand that other people's "calls" of what they'd consider proper for their scrolls should affect whether a new feature is introduced or not. And, considering this is a collecting game, I think that it would benefit from the ability to collect egg sprites, too - even though I, personally, wouldn't.

I agree with you both completely but if there is a relatively hassle-free way to "keep the embryos alive" why not do it. Some people might like to collect the egg sprites and then "can't" because of the baby issue.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that thought, but I have a feeling that "keeping the embryos alive" and "collecting all stages" are mutually exclusive, no matter what. Unless, of course, we get a BSA that allows us to collect egg shells from hatched eggs for a while, and for every X eggs of that type (where you collected the shells, obviously,) you get to create an empty egg that, for obvious reasons, won't develop. Then add an other action to rattle the egg in an attempt to induce cracking - with the results "nothing happened", "egg cracked 1 stage", "egg cracked 2 stages" and "egg fell apart". Which is hellishly complicated, but would suit pretty much everybody - the "keep the embryos alive" crowd, the "let's collect all stages" crowd, the "let's prevent abuse crowd" and the "let's make this a cute BSA" crowd. The only problems with this are that it's complicated and might make TJ less than happy - not to mention that people happen to have their cake and eat it by getting the hatchlings/adults as well as the shells.

I kinda feel like if people have a problem with killing the growing dragons, then they shouldn’t want to have an egg sprite. The same way that people who don’t want to kill their dragons won’t get to collect Undead sprites. There’s no way to compensate there, so why should there be here?

Amen to Grey :)

1 hour ago, olympe said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with that thought, but I have a feeling that "keeping the embryos alive" and "collecting all stages" are mutually exclusive, no matter what. Unless, of course, we get a BSA that allows us to collect egg shells from hatched eggs for a while, and for every X eggs of that type (where you collected the shells, obviously,) you get to create an empty egg that, for obvious reasons, won't develop. Then add an other action to rattle the egg in an attempt to induce cracking - with the results "nothing happened", "egg cracked 1 stage", "egg cracked 2 stages" and "egg fell apart". Which is hellishly complicated, but would suit pretty much everybody - the "keep the embryos alive" crowd, the "let's collect all stages" crowd, the "let's prevent abuse crowd" and the "let's make this a cute BSA" crowd. The only problems with this are that it's complicated and might make TJ less than happy - not to mention that people happen to have their cake and eat it by getting the hatchlings/adults as well as the shells.

Quite.

But if an egg is hatching - well, it was fertilised, or it wouldn't hatch at all; it would just go bad XD You want all the stages - you have to kill. there's no BIOLOGICAL way around that one.

IMO there are two parallels that egg freezing has.

One parallel is to hatchling freezing, as it's freezing a stage for the purpose of scroll collection.

The second part is parallels to killing a hatchling/dragon, because the egg has to die if it's frozen. If you want it to "have a chance to survive" just like trying to kill a hatchling or a dragon, simply add a fail rate to the egg freezing. Revisiting the limit issue, I actually wouldn't mind if there were no limit (or a very large limit) on this even with the AP-nuking, as long as there's a cooldown for CB eggs. Certain eggs might be able to have more magic resistance than others. Then it's completely parallel to trying to kill a hatchling or a dragon. Again, TJ can decide the system that's in place,  I don't really care about it, but if that's the main barrier to having egg freezing implemented, then I'm all for it. 

Well, if damage to a hatchie is a sticking point, go back to the painted rocks.  Every egg sprite exists on the wiki, including the hatching sequence for every egg.  When you collect a rock it can be any of the stages (including dead)  Might take a lot of tries to get them all, but hey, such is the risk.

Edited by Imzadi

Or just.... You use the action and get a text like.

"Upon closer inspection, it seems this egg is not going to hatch, and you use -insert magic/bsa/whatever here- to preserve the beautiful shell."

If it's such a huge concern.

Yeah I personally think killing the egg to freeze it is fine, but apparently TJ has reserves about it, which is why I'm suggesting the possible workarounds/alternatives. I don't think rocks would work with all the special effects, and being able to see the hatchling inside of some eggs. 

"Upon closer inspection, it seems this egg is not going to hatch, and you use -insert magic/bsa/whatever here- to preserve the beautiful shell."

I like that a lot. Easy breezy beautiful lol. @TJ09 can you offer any input into what you would be looking for as a suggestion? Would BrazenChase's solution work?

Edited by High Lord November

1 hour ago, BrazenChase said:

Or just.... You use the action and get a text like.

If it's such a huge concern.

This is awesome tbh. It happens frequently in nature, so it's realistic as well :)

And people will still start drama because "If you hadn't done that, it would have hatched! You killed it!". But if it's deemed to work, I'm all for it. Although it wouldn't allow for collecting cracked eggs. Because, let's be honest: If there wasn't anything in the egg that could hatch in the first place, the egg wouldn't have cracked.