angelicdragonpuppy

Remove past mates from breeding list

Last time this came up was in 2009 and a different variety of suggestion, so new topic:

It would be nice if there was a way to edit a dragon's breeding list. Right now, prior mates pop up when you go to breed; I'd like a way to remove prior mates that are no longer wanted. I have a 2g Prize dragon that I thought I'd been breeding to a CB Lunar for months, only to realize last week that said Lunar was a 2g from Caligene. Also have a few cases of dragons where I've had multiple mates before, but prefer one over the other now. It would be nice to have a way to kick those unwanted mates back to their normal spots on the list--as if they'd never been selected--so that I don't keep unwittingly picking them over and over, assuming they're tried and true matches.

If push comes to shove, you could always abandon the offending dragon - although that is quite a bit extreme. I know I did it when I accidentally kept breeding a CB holiday to a 2nd gen instead of another CB - but the solution is not perfect. It wipes the name off your released dragon, which might cause issues for the owners of the offspring, and it will take you down one dragon - which is especially  bothersome if the breed and/or lineage is hard to come by.

Honestly I'd much rather have a more general way to 'edit' or 'filter' the breeding list (like the long-standing 'filter by group' suggestion....) then a targeted way to remove individual dragons. I mean, IF the breeding page is going to be messed with at all, I'd rather have it be more useful then just removing already-bred dragons from the list. But sure, if this suggestion is more likely to actually happen then any of the other breeding-list ones, of course I'll support it.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Honestly I'd much rather have a more general way to 'edit' or 'filter' the breeding list (like the long-standing 'filter by group' suggestion....) then a targeted way to remove individual dragons. I mean, IF the breeding page is going to be messed with at all, I'd rather have it be more useful then just removing already-bred dragons from the list. But sure, if this suggestion is more likely to actually happen then any of the other breeding-list ones, of course I'll support it.

I'd be down for full on list editing too. A long time ago people suggested a (reversible) option to remove certain dragons from appearing on ANY breed pages; I'd love that to remove some of the messies I don't use.

9 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

This. I really can't see the need to target individuals under each dragon. Have an option to exclude a group and put the ones you want to avoid in there. Then when you go to Harold and you wanted to avoid Jennifer, filter out that group and she won't show up.

In addition to the breeding page edits on a larger scale, I'd still like a way to remove single mates from a specific dragon's top list, mostly in cases when I have TWO breeding pairs which I had to swap because one of them refused. So now one pair has two mates in their past mates list, and I always hop over to the other to check which one NOT to use.

You'll agree that it wouldn't help much to remove one dragon from ALL of breeding just because of such refusal mishaps.

How about simply breeding by groups? If you select a dragon's breed option while in the group only dragons in that group show up as available for that dragon to breed with.

I don’t think a group based method would be terribly useful. I mean—it might be helpful to some, and I have nothing against it as a separate suggestion, but it does nothing for me personally. Going back to my example of repeatedly unwittingly breeding my 2g Shimmer to a 2g Lunar; I don’t want to make a separate group for them just to filter out a single dragon. The Lunar in question also has a matched checker mate who I DO want her to breed with, so tossing her into some Group of Badness to never be touched is just as annoying as the original issue. 

Just a little 'x' next to the dragon image on the left side (so you can avoid accidentally clicking it on the right next to 'breed') should be simple enough. Then have the breed page refresh after that happens. Though I wouldn't be opposed to other options, I just don't see a simple way to edit breeding lists en masse.  

En masse won't be necessary when removing mishaps or mate swaps, really.

This is just one of several things we (or some of us) would like to see come true:

1. breed *within* a group (to stay within a project) -> have the breeding page pre-filtered

2. breed *excluding* a group (to avoid breedings to dragosn you want to keep unbred) -> have the breeding page pre-filtered

3. breed after dynamically applying a filter like for fertilizing (search by breed, code, name)

4. breed within proven mates (maybe even pre-filtered?), but remove individuals from past encounters (just move the dragon itself back into scroll order)

22 hours ago, olympe said:

If push comes to shove, you could always abandon the offending dragon - although that is quite a bit extreme. I know I did it when I accidentally kept breeding a CB holiday to a 2nd gen instead of another CB - but the solution is not perfect. It wipes the name off your released dragon, which might cause issues for the owners of the offspring, and it will take you down one dragon - which is especially  bothersome if the breed and/or lineage is hard to come by.

It also does nothing to help if you still want to breed that dragon to someone, just not the dragon whose list you would like to remove it from. I would love a way to remove a single dragon from just one other dragon's breeding list.

I support some iteration of being able to edit a breeding list for dragons. Adding them to separate groups doesn't seem helpful though because I still have to find the dragons in a big long list.

This would be really useful. I would also like the ability to breed within groups but I don't think it accomplishes the same thing this suggestion does.

On 2/25/2019 at 7:44 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I'd be down for full on list editing too. A long time ago people suggested a (reversible) option to remove certain dragons from appearing on ANY breed pages; I'd love that to remove some of the messies I don't use.

I still really want this, too.

On 2/27/2019 at 4:01 AM, schenanigans said:

Just a little 'x' next to the dragon image on the left side (so you can avoid accidentally clicking it on the right next to 'breed') should be simple enough. Then have the breed page refresh after that happens. Though I wouldn't be opposed to other options, I just don't see a simple way to edit breeding lists en masse.  

I like this suggestion. It would be a simple and straightforward way to remove unwanted mates. 

Additionally, I'd like to be able to potentially pin specific dragons to the top of the mating page. This would be useful in instances where you have a mate in mind for the future and you don't want to forget about it, but for whatever reason you're not ready to breed them (eg. Holiday x Holiday pairings). So to add to the quoted suggestion, maybe there could be a + and x to add/remove dragons from being pinned as a regular/'official' mate. 

Edited by StormWizard212

On 3/2/2019 at 5:47 AM, StormWizard212 said:

This does sound good, Id add an ‘are you sure’ button after myself.

There could probably be an "organize" option when you're in a breeding list. Click it and it could either work like removing dragons from a group (simple enough, the format already exists), or it takes you to a page where you can check multiple dragons to remove before submitting, as well as rearrange their order. A little blurb up top says "mates removed will still be available for breeding, but will not be listed among previously bred mates." A "restore to default" setting to purge the whole list wouldn't be bad, either.

I didn't realize until I read this thread how useful it would be to be able to sort breeding pages better -- I like the idea of a little 'x' to remove a dragon from another's mate list. I would also like the ability to have a sorting list similar to the fertility page, where you could filter things out. But I'm one of those who uses lineage tags like CB in the dragon names themselves, and I know that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Definitely interested in more organizational capacity in the breeding page. 

I like this. Total support.

I have old 2nd or 3rd gen dragons, bred years ago, before I found better mates for them. Every time I want to re-breed one of these dragons, I have to go in and recheck the lineages to make sure I don't use the older mate. This would allow me to eliminate the undesired mates from a dragon's breed list.

Please. It's so sad when I'm just breeding everything fast and keep accidentally breeding a wrong pair. XD

Edited by Aqub

I'd pledge to sell the first kid of some fresh dragon pair if we'd get a proper breeding list editor! (And no, I'm not selling my own soul. :P)

My suggestion - make the breeding list a two page feature:

- 1st page: all successful breedings one wants to keep with an option to sort the mates (and all possible mates for a dragon that hasn't been bred before)

- 2nd page all other possible mates.

And maybe add a 3rd page for all refusals.

The advantage is that this will allow for faster loading of the successful pairs if one only has to load the full list if one really wants to access it. Plus one can get rid of unwanted pairing (if we get a breeding list editor).

Edited by Astreya

On 2/26/2019 at 12:01 PM, schenanigans said:

This would be super helpful. I have several dragons that I've accidentally bred to the wrong mate. x__x

bringing this suggestion back, as someone who bred one of his messy dragons to a guardian *ONCE* and now all i do is keep accidentally breeding that same pair. it would be really nice to--at the least--move mates on the breeding list to avoid confusion. the breeding page could definitely use some polishing now that we can see how nice the fertility interface is.

although a filter/search bar would be nice, i think being able to control the mate order/which mates show up is a much more pressing issue, as there's currently zero way to correct a mistaken breeding, aside from naming one dragon something extra like STOP DON'T BREED THIS ONE.

Edited by steeve