Qazsarea

Valentines Event Visual Novel: More features Plz

I am making this post with the knowledge that what is done is done, and that this years event will not be magically changed. However if the idea of a visual novel is ever reused then I pray to whatever will listen that it will have more of the features that ANY basic visual novel should have. I'm talking basic convenience stuff that can ruin a V.N very quickly if they're lacking (which they are this year).

These are the features I think are essential to a good V.N, whether or not they were present in this Valentines Event, and how important they are /10 to this this event (10 being ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, 1 being totally useless)

1. Dialogue/Story (✔️) 10/10
  2. Art (✔️) 9/10
  3. Save File () 3/10
  4. Skip Button/Option () 8/10  (THIS IS WHAT BOTHERS ME THE MOST)
  5. Bonus Art/Stuff () 3/10

This event has great story characters, and art, but it doesn't have the basic UI/controls a decent V.N needs. While the lack of any complicated stuff (like save files) is totally reasonable, the lack of a 'skip dialogue' option or any way to get through stuff you've seen before is incredibly annoying. I have to go through several minutes of intro just to get to anything meaningful that will actually change the game/story. If there was a way to go straight to the club choice I would be incredibly happy.

I'd even be ok with just faster text when you press space, because the speed at which it changes is so slow that it often times feels useless. I can press space a max of two times that will actually cause any sort of change, one being a 'speed up' and the other being 'next dialogue'. But like I said, the speed up is not very useful. It's faster, but not fast enough to make a meaningful change.

So it is with both great love and great annoyance that I say PLEASE add a skip function or more V.N controls when an event like this happens again.

Skip function - sure. The rest - no problem. It's not as if the game is up there for long. We don't need loads of bonuses and the rest - and it's fairly amazing that unpaid volunteers put anything like this up at all. And the save DID save any completed day, after all. (and it was possible to load the text fast by pressing the space bar twice instead of once.)

I don't know what it was like for anything but a computer, but you could speed up the text by hitting the space bar once, twice and all the text appeared. I thought the art was amazing, my issue was....Im 32 and I was suppose to date an underage dragon. At the very least if they go with that kinda plot again, give a function to put in a name, pick one of your dragons.

And I just noticed @Fuzzbucket already said the thing about the spacebar! Whoops. But yeah, the art was unbelievable, I dont know how they pulled all that together. And the 'bonus' was the badge. Pretty much like every year, I dont think we 'get' anything out of the events but having fun doing it and the badge (Maybe have that absolute **** of an Astronomy Club leader suspended. Shes got issues. Lol!)

Edited by bloodyneptune

Olivia is lovely. I went to the dance with her - she has issues indeed - but they aren't her fault. And as I got to know her better, she was starting to grasp and sort them. Having parents like hers does make you peculiar - she simply had no experience of anything else.

I agree that a 'skip' function would've been majorly helpful, especially with that first day where the exact same thing happens each time. We really don't need to go through that entire first day every single time, a way to skip right to choosing which club would've been great. Other then that I thought the event was awesome, though.

17 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Olivia is lovely. I went to the dance with her - she has issues indeed - but they aren't her fault. And as I got to know her better, she was starting to grasp and sort them. Having parents like hers does make you peculiar - she simply had no experience of anything else.

I stupidly closed the window and had to start over and went with a different club, I didnt know she was one of the ones you could go with! Or had a whole backstory! I wonder if they're all up on the wiki, I should read hers

I think you could go with ANY of them except Leukosia and the firegem. I'm sure I did.

About Olivia: Just in case anyone doesn't want to know - made a spoiler.

Spoiler

Her backstory was very sad - she had very rich and important parents who expected everything and more of her while not having much to do with her - and she always knew she had to be BEST; she spent her life aiming to be BETTER than them in their own field - they were world-renowned astronomers. She was cared for by some kind of nanny, and never saw other children - which was why she had no idea that Alice's family crisis couldn't have been taken care of by someone paid for it - she thought all families were like that. She spent most of her lonely youth making her beautiful blanket - a skill she had learned from a carer, not from her parents. She wanted friends but had no idea how to make them - when I (player) suggested she apologise to Alice, she was all set to buy her something really expensive as part of her apology, and couldn't understand that that wasn't what people did. Basically - she'd had no experience of normal life, but desperately wanted to be a part of it - she simply had no idea how. She honestly thought everyone saw things the way she did,

12 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I think you could go with ANY of them except Leukosia and the firegem. I'm sure I did.

About Olivia: Just in case anyone doesn't want to know - made a spoiler.

Hide contents

Her backstory was very sad - she had very rich and important parents who expected everything and more of her while not having much to do with her - and she always knew she had to be BEST; she spent her life aiming to be BETTER than them in their own field - they were world-renowned astronomers. She was cared for by some kind of nanny, and never saw other children - which was why she had no idea that Alice's family crisis couldn't have been taken care of by someone paid for it - she thought all families were like that. She spent most of her lonely youth making her beautiful blanket - a skill she had learned from a carer, not from her parents. She wanted friends but had no idea how to make them - when I (player) suggested she apologise to Alice, she was all set to buy her something really expensive as part of her apology, and couldn't understand that that wasn't what people did. Basically - she'd had no experience of normal life, but desperately wanted to be a part of it - she simply had no idea how. She honestly thought everyone saw things the way she did,

That makes SO much more sense. I was like....Olivia, if I stayed up to be at this meeting and its about edible glitter is2g....
But no, she was going for perfection because of her parents oookay. See I thought she was....like the teacher, a character there to further the story. (And the glitter was probs expensive. Im getting this now. Perfection + expensive = best. And it would make people think less of her and not want to be friends if the cupcakes didnt look perfect or cheap.)