TJ09

2019-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day!

7 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

Could those folks maybe put in an effort to not be terrible or critical to a cutting degree? That’s I think the point you’re willfully missing here. This isnt haute art or a gallery installation. This is a game community and believe it or not standards of decent conduct can exist here.

Not issuing critique on a sprite is default; making critical statements is a choice.

You're an adult artist, or you're not.  You're tough enough, confident enough in your work, to take criticism, or not.  Your choice.  If you just let a couple negative comments be without fighting about it, they'd be drowned out by the folks that love the dragons within a page.  It takes 2 to make a fight.  You aren't even the artist, correct?  Perhaps just let it go?

I actually love the colors on these--nice shading and balance, love the orange mane and tail!  Not too bright, not too pastel--just right!

Edited by random_dragon_collector

8 hours ago, Shajana said:

I am really glad you all like the new Wyvern, so here is some Info for you all:

dczzot2-27ed06e6-2277-4fe5-ad6d-4a64ccd1

Yes the Dragon is based of the Sakura (Cherry Blossom).

I started that breed 4-5 years ago, that was the original Sprite back then: dayh41q-bece5b4b-4316-4c1e-892c-8233623f

- Their body is covered in very small iridescent scales.

- Every Sakuhana has it's own unique markings.

- The wings are big compared to their body, so they are able to fly very fast.

- Sakuhana Wyverns decorade their horns and nests with Cherry Blossom flowers.

- Sakuhana are rarely agressive, you just should stay away from their young.

- They love to dance and play around the trees.

- With their magic they never harm others.

- The joyful nature of an Sakuhana is contagious to other animals and dragons.

- When a Sakuhana is around you can see much more flowers than usual, with the help of their magic they help nature grow in Spring.

- They tend to live close to Cherry Blossom trees.

- Sakuhana Wyvern like to decorade their home with flowers and mana gems.

- Sometimes you can find them in the mountains.

- The Sakuhana eats the Cherry Blossom flowers, but always leave enough so that the tree will grow fruits.

- Next to flowers they diet insects and a variety of different fruits and honey.

- Newborn hatchlings are not able to fly.

- Hatchlings don't have all of their colorful markings until they grow older.

- They are easy to train due to their playfull nature. 

Ohh~ The new adults are lovely!

I really like the soft colors! 

Thank you, Shajana! 

21 minutes ago, tiny_gremlin said:

A bit like fanfic writers.  Reviews are part of the game.  Not necessarily a pleasant part, but a part.  

Personally, the critiques listed here are WAY nicer than most of the nasty reviews I've gotten in the past on my writing (and I consider myself a pretty good writer).  

P.S. That said, I'm not entirely certain that this is the place to list those critiques, at least at this time?

????? fanfic reviews are almost never critique what? Its mostly I love xyz can't wait for a, will b happen? Nasty reviews are called flames for a reason, and I'm sorry you've gotten a lot.

You know why DR works for the most part? People are asking for critique. The artist is not asking for critique on their release threads.

Multiple in cave artists are saying 'you know, we don't actually like when you do this' why do you not want to listen to them? (you in general use not specific)

Edited by Tinibree

3 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

????? fanfic reviews are almost never critique what? Its mostly I love xyz can't wait for a, will b happen? Nasty reviews are called flames for a reason, and I'm sorry you've gotten a lot.

I write a lot.  

That said, most of my major works have over 2k reviews.

Some of those so-called flames are just people trying to point out stuff that they don't necessarily like and feel like could go toward making the fic (or art-work) better in their opinion.  I usually take them with a grain of salt and continue on regardless.  It's a part of being artist-y.  

And at worst, I block them from commenting.  Makes my life easier.  Looks like users can be ignored here.  Wonder if that results in the same thing?

Edited by tiny_gremlin

2 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

You know why DR works for the most part? People are asking for critique. The artist is not asking for critique on their release threads.

But artists don't get to ask.  Should we label them something other than "artist" then?

4 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

Multiple in cave artists are saying 'you know, we don't actually like when you do this' why do you not want to listen to them?

That's why I said that this may not be the best spot for it.

While everyone is welcome to their opinion on sprites, remember we're still supposed to be respectful to other users here, including spriters. Critique is one thing, but it should be respectful, and so should discussion.

In the end my opinion is really: just enjoy the nice things you get for free and don't make people feel bad for creating things. Anyway I'm done with the topic, I'll be back to gush over the dating routes.

Wonderful new breed. Smells good as well as looking great.

Thanks TJ and all the spriters and those who made this event and breed possible.

Edited by PrairieStead

At the end of the day multiple in cave spriters have mentioned that they don’t like what’s going on as far as “critiques.” So have your opinions on the dragons. Have your opinions on the spriters not wanting you to share those criticisms. No one’s telling anyone that they’re not allowed to have their personal thoughts. But the fact that people are clinging to their original statements despite being told it’s unwanted and/or unappreciated, and defending their claim by telling the artists that they shouldn’t be offended doesn’t even border on distasteful, it just is.

You have been told that what you’re saying isn’t helpful, so why do you continue to say it?

18 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

At the end of the day multiple in cave spriters have mentioned that they don’t like what’s going on as far as “critiques.” So have your opinions on the dragons. Have your opinions on the spriters not wanting you to share those criticisms. No one’s telling anyone that they’re not allowed to have their personal thoughts. But the fact that people are clinging to their original statements despite being told it’s unwanted and/or unappreciated, and defending their claim by telling the artists that they shouldn’t be offended doesn’t even border on distasteful, it just is.

You have been told that what you’re saying isn’t helpful, so why do you continue to say it?

Honestly?  Part of it is in reaction to the discussion on sprite updates.  We're told that professional standards mean that favorites will be redrawn.  There's a disconnect between "this site will have the most professional art available, so the reds you loved are gone" and "the only thing you can do in the release thread is gush about how great the art is."

As in indicated above--I like the art, love the colors and shading, etc.  But I'm going to defend the right of anyone who thinks otherwise to have their say.

13 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

Because honestly, being told that someone doesn't find critique helpful should *not* mean we are not *allowed* to post our opinions about sprites. I know spriters are often treated like the end-all-be-all around here, but it's simply not good manners or in good taste to try to *stop* someone from simply expressing their opinion just because others don't like it. It's fine to say 'please be respectful when you express yourself', it is *not* fine to say 'don't say anything because I don't like it'. See the difference? 

This board really becomes a *lot* like plain direct censorship when it comes to any sort of dislike of sprites. People gang up on anyone who says anything negative, jumping in to 'defend' the spriters even when the spriter hasn't actually responded at all... It's kind of ridiculous. If you don't agree with someone's opinion on the sprites, that's fine. If you love the sprites, that's great. It's *not* fine to tell someone to stop expressing themselves just because you don't agree.

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Because honestly, being told that someone doesn't find critique helpful should *not* mean we are not *allowed* to post our opinions about sprites. I know spriters are often treated like the end-all-be-all around here, but it's simply not good manners or in good taste to try to *stop* someone from simply expressing their opinion just because others don't like it. It's fine to say 'please be respectful when you express yourself', it is *not* fine to say 'don't say anything because I don't like it'. See the difference? 

This board really becomes a *lot* like plain direct censorship when it comes to any sort of dislike of sprites. People gang up on anyone who says anything negative, jumping in to 'defend' the spriters even when the spriter hasn't actually responded at all... It's kind of ridiculous. If you don't agree with someone's opinion on the sprites, that's fine. If you love the sprites, that's great. It's *not* fine to tell someone to stop expressing themselves just because you don't agree.

and the fact is that the pile-on of those who don't like it is what keeps the drama going.  If the spriters would just let folks have their say, the positives would outnumber the negative views every time.  It's the reaction to those expressing a negative opinion that feeds the flames, not really the opinions of those who posted against the grain.

True. What I guess I don’t get is what the goal is here. Nothing can really be done about this, and all critiques are doing at this point is drawing attention to some flaws that can’t really be changed at this juncture, which can in turn make the people that put so much time and effort into making it feel not so great, you know? I guess what I’m trying to say is, why are we perpetuating this despite the fact that it’s not accomplishing the goals of either side? Who is this making happy?

Edited by broadway_fiend

Just now, broadway_fiend said:

True. What I guess I don’t get is what the goal is here. Nothing can really be done about this, and all critiques are doing at this point is drawing attention to some flaws that can’t really be changed at this juncture, which can in turn make the people that put so much time and effort into making it feel not so great, you know? I guess what I’m trying to say is, why are we perpetuating this despite the fact that it’s not accomplishing the goals of either side. Who is this making happy?

The goal is simple--to interact with others in the dragon cave community and discuss the new dragon, to see what others think.  Isn't that the goal of any discussion thread?  The forums are here to foster a community--community members interact with each other, they talk to each other, they exchange opinions.

I like these new sprites! They are really pretty and I'm excited to see how they pair with Arcanas. That said, I'm disappointed in how much of the wings the lineage tile cuts off. It doesn't look like it can be tweaked without losing the dragon's nose, which really isn't an option. I can see why people would like the sprite's wings to be bigger, but I think if they were we would lose even more of the beautiful colors in the lineage tile.

I also finally made it through all of the event storylines! The only one I couldn't get to the dance on my first playthrough was Mordred, so I may go try his storyline again. But man, I really don't want to go through Day 1 ever again. >.< Tsoko was my first choice and my favorite story by far, but they were all pretty fun. Lute covers of heavy metal sounds like something I would listen to, but this is why I would never volunteer to choose the music for a real dance! 

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already, but what day does the valentine's event end? Same day as egg drop?

1 minute ago, Kyleedj said:

I'm sorry if this was mentioned already, but what day does the valentine's event end? Same day as egg drop?

From the event schedule post:

Valentine's Day Event

Just like last year, a special Valentine's Day event will begin at midnight on Valentine's Day, coinciding with the release. The event will run for seven full days, ending on February 20 at 23:59).

1 minute ago, random_dragon_collector said:

From the event schedule post:

Valentine's Day Event

Just like last year, a special Valentine's Day event will begin at midnight on Valentine's Day, coinciding with the release. The event will run for seven full days, ending on February 20 at 23:59).

Thank you very much!

Also the sprites this year are soooo pretty. Hard to say if they'll replace Sweetlings as my favorite Valentine's Dragon!!

I love the new dragon!

The pallet and desighn is so pretty!! 💕💖💕

8 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

The goal is simple--to interact with others in the dragon cave community and discuss the new dragon, to see what others think.  Isn't that the goal of any discussion thread?  The forums are here to foster a community--community members interact with each other, they talk to each other, they exchange opinions.

I agree with that, but there’s a difference between “I’m not really a fan of this particular dragon, I don’t really like how...” and “here’s a list of  things that make this sprite anatomically incorrect” obviously that’s not exactly what was said, but it’s still less of a discussion and more of criticism that won’t really help anything right now. In a regular DR thread, that kind of stuff is welcome, and in most cases encouraged! Here, well, it’s too late, and doesn’t really help or make anyone happy. What’s the point of that, specifically, is what I mean.

Edited by broadway_fiend

1 hour ago, Nightwalkerkey said:

I'm just wondering when we get the hatchie wall. I'm hoping I'll be online for it, to dump these eggs for one or two to freeze.

Anyone got a time on close to the last bred eggs? @purplehaze ?

4d 2h as of now -- actually probably approaching 4d 1h.

3 minutes ago, broadway_fiend said:

I agree with that, but there’s a difference between “I’m not really a fan of this particular dragon, I don’t really like how...” and “here’s a list of  things that make this sprite anatomically incorrect” obviously that’s not exactly what was said, but it’s still less of a discussion and more of criticism that won’t really help anything right now. In a regular DR thread, that kind of stuff is welcome, and in most cases encouraged! Here, well, it’s too late, and doesn’t really help or make anyone happy. What’s the point of that, specifically, is what I mean.

I do see what you're saying.  I shall let the folks posting that sort of thing defend their own posts.  But I still firmly believe that if everyone else let the person have their say, let their list stand, and moved on to discussing what they DID like, the positives would outnumber them by a hefty degree.  It's the way we react to things that leave a feeling of bitterness in our souls--we remember things we had a strong reaction to, something we founght with somebody over.  When people read a post and think--well, o.k., but I disagree so I'm going to talk about this instead--they forget about the bad feeling a lot more quickly.

Is... Is it bad that I am incredibly unhappy about the fact that I can now have a pink sweetling on my scroll? I was one of the affected scrolls that valentines that has the ability to only hatch black sweetlings. I find it unfair and unnecessary that scrolls like mine can hatch pink sweetlings from valentine biome sweetling eggs. I wanted to post this sooner but hadnt had the time nor could I log in properly. If scrolls like mine can hatch pink (or normal) sweetlings, I find it only fair that from this point forward other scrolls be allowed the ability to have black sweetlings. This is all I really have to say.

2 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

I do see what you're saying.  I shall let the folks posting that sort of thing defend their own posts.  But I still firmly believe that if everyone else let the person have their say, let their list stand, and moved on to discussing what they DID like, the positives would outnumber them by a hefty degree.  It's the way we react to things that leave a feeling of bitterness in our souls--we remember things we had a strong reaction to, something we founght with somebody over.  When people read a post and think--well, o.k., but I disagree so I'm going to talk about this instead--they forget about the bad feeling a lot more quickly.

Although I can understand why people have reacted to some of the criticism, I have to agree with random on this post. If no one reacts and starts an argument going, the offending post will soon be buried and forgotten. The release threads have a long history of people reacting badly to any negative comment about the new dragon, no matter how respectfully it may be offered. 

@AnanoKimi TJ has made it clear that the alt Sweetlings will not see wider distribution, but I agree that it is unfair that you and I, as alt owners could have both. My choice for myself is not to allow any on my scroll that will grow up pink there.