TJ09

2019-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day!

Thanks, Arbock. I was going to say the same thing, but you beat me to the punch. I didn't see anything wrong in that post at all. The comment was that  the dragon was unbalanced and offered a suggestion as to how that might be corrected. 

We don't have to like everything, and I always thought people were allowed/encouraged to share their views. 

Edited by Sir Barton

Sometimes it is not a matter of what is said but the way you say it. Critique is not a bad thing if you give constructive feedback in a way that is not hurtful to the artist. I feel like it would of been better to send the artist a pm with said critique that came off as rude. 

11 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Art can be subjective but considering how high standards are in dragon requests I expected a bit more polish.

You do realize that unlike DR, holiday submissions are entirely private works, right? They have the input of one or two people at most. Whereas DR is practically a mass group effort between all the people vying to get their critiques in, the conceptor(s), the artist(s), and whoever else wants to make a contribution.

16 minutes ago, Kiyoura said:

I like the colors of the new dragons!! 

The description, though of them only typically picking one mate for life. Hmmmmmm. I don't tend to breed my holidays to just one dragon. :P

I was thinking the same thing LOL

16 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@PieMaster everyone's blowing it out of proportion. I said it has a fat neck, a large chest despite not having large wings (should have larger wings to support flight with such a heafty body), and a oddly short snout. Art can be subjective but considering how high standards are in dragon requests I expected a bit more polish. The pattern I don't like but that's not really a flaw, just personal preference.

But I dont think it's wrong of me to give criticism when the same people threw a fit over nilla necks.

Er, my post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular. I haven’t closely followed the thread and haven’t read your post. I agreed with the sentiment of the post I quoted and threw in my own two cents. But if you’re assuming a post about the way critique is worded is directed at you, perhaps you should reflect on what led you to make that assumption.

The dragon is anatomically sound.  It has powerful chest muscles for flight.  Look at a plucked chicken sometime!  All the power for the flight muscles is in the chest.   Very little is in the wings because they would be too heavy to maneuver otherwise.  As this dragon is a wyvern, we see more of those powerful muscles as they aren't hidden behind forelimbs.

I think the neck crest is fine and gives the dragon character.  I love them and plan to collect an army next year.

And once again we see everyone jumping all over someone who dared to express dislike in a sprite. Art is subjective you guys. Not everyone is going to like it, and it's really rather rude to put down someone and try to silence their opinions just because you don't agree. I for one don't think the original critique was rude or mean at all; It mentions a thick neck and chest, which isn't being mean, it's a flat fact. They say it doesn't look right together, which is a fairly decent opinion. Nowhere did I see any artist bashing, or art bashing in general. People *need* to be *allowed* to express their opinions here, and you really shouldn't be allowed to tell people to 'shut up' just because you don't agree with their opinions. (And here I remember why I so often get sick of this forum and need to step away...)

Anyways, the 'seeker wall seems to be breaking up a bit, time to dive back in!

4 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

The dragon is anatomically sound.  It has powerful chest muscles for flight.  Look at a plucked chicken sometime!  All the power for the flight muscles is in the chest.   Very little is in the wings because they would be too heavy to maneuver otherwise.  As this dragon is a wyvern, we see more of those powerful muscles as they aren't hidden behind forelimbs.

I think the neck crest is fine and gives the dragon character.  I love them and plan to collect an army next year.

My critique is that the wings are too small to support flight. The muscles in the chest are large despite it looking like it lacks the proper wingspan. It's a bulky dragon with dainty wings. A chicken cant exactly fly either, and a chicken is bred to have large breasts by man for meat purposes. Most birds dont have that quite as pronounced. That's just what I'm seeing and the sprite itself appears unbalanced for it.

How much longer until the holiday AP wall breaks? I'm wondering if I should save scroll space for the delightful low time regular eggs that are coming ...

That was just an example of bird anatomy that everyone has seen.  This lady isn't nearly as bulky as a chicken.  However her musculature makes sense for a flying creature.  I don't see the wings as too small.  Perhaps for extended soaring maybe, but perhaps her mannerisms are more like that of a pheasant.

Thanks @Shajana for the added information about this lovely breed ❤️ The concept art is gorgeous and I'm freaking in love about the little blossoms on the horns 😍

Also, it's really cool to see the original sprite! The progress is amazing.

I really, really love them! Their short little snout is just so cute!! I totally plan on collecting them next year, and I know for sure they will look great in lineages! 

Honestly I'm picturing a cave littered with flowers and shiny gems, and these cuties sleeping in a bed of cherry blossoms! It's a lovely image in my head :P 

@LadyLyzar I guess the best way to explain what I think the wings should look like is just to point at the Male seregama. Something a bit larger compared to the body just cause with the wings it has now it doesnt look suited to flight. If its body was also dainty, I'd be more inclined to think it could. But I guess it is what it is.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

23 minutes ago, Toyo said:

How much longer until the holiday AP wall breaks? I'm wondering if I should save scroll space for the delightful low time regular eggs that are coming ...

The eggs I bred near midnight on the 14th are showing 4d 8h and the eggs in the AP now are what? about 4d 1h? So given the fact that a lot of people wait until the holiday to breed I would say it will be quite awhile yet before the wall breaks.

For the first time I have actually held on to my resolve not to look at any stage of the new dragon until I have it on my own scroll. But it is killing me not to check out the adult! (And I had to close my eyes and fly by Shajana's post! I'll go back and check it out later, once mine grow up.)

Edited by purplehaze

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

The eggs I bred near midnight on the 14th are showing 4d 8h and the eggs in the AP now are what? about 4d 1h? So given the fact that a lot of people wait until the holiday to breed I would say it will be quite awhile yet before the wall breaks.

For the first time I have actually held on to my resolve not to look at any stage of the new dragon until I have it on my own scroll. But it is killing me not to check out the adult!

I was hoping somebody had breed them at midnight to let us know how long the wall will last! :) hopefully things grow up before it runs out

You'll love the adult I think! It's very pretty, I'm happy it's not a super pink Dragon

3 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Thanks, PH! I bet I won't have the willpower to wait that long :)

48 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

@LadyLyzar I guess the best way to explain what I think the wings should look like is just to point at the Male seregama. Something a bit larger compared to the body just cause with the wings it has now it doesnt look suited to flight. If its body was also dainty, I'd be more inclined to think it could. But I guess it is what it is.

The nicest way I can put this is: don't make the spriters feel bad because you don't like the look of something. Also even if you simply cannot stop yourself, saying 'not intending to be rude' doesnt make what you're saying not rude actually.

Anyway-I love the hypno-eyes, I can see them on the sprite and they're great! I love the little hearts everywhere and the horns, and the wings!! Such a cool pattern I can't get over that.

Edit: Wish I could upvote you Marrionetta

Edited by Tinibree

Offering critique on a holiday dragon after it makes its appearance on site is like offering to get a fire extinguisher after your neighbor’s house has already been burnt down.

Everyone is entitled to have opinions, but for the love of dragons, you are not required to express them at all moments. We literally can’t do anything with your two cents in this scenario so all you achieve is making someone feel bad. Is it so vital that you express your discontent at the expense of other people?

Your criticisms aren’t helpful in this context. I urge you to stop. This holiday and all holidays, if you don’t have something positive to say, consider saying nothing at all.

While I personally generally prefer dragons with a larger snout, I don't see any objective flaws with the new breed, and while I am of course a biased person and would have loved to have one I made, Shajana is delightful and I'm happy for her, and I very much enjoy the sprite--the wings and eyes are lovely! That said, I really REALLY love the hatchlings, and I'm hyped to collect frozens next year!

34 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

Offering critique on a holiday dragon after it makes its appearance on site is like offering to get a fire extinguisher after your neighbor’s house has already been burnt down.

Everyone is entitled to have opinions, but for the love of dragons, you are not required to express them at all moments. We literally can’t do anything with your two cents in this scenario so all you achieve is making someone feel bad. Is it so vital that you express your discontent at the expense of other people?

Your criticisms aren’t helpful in this context. I urge you to stop. This holiday and all holidays, if you don’t have something positive to say, consider saying nothing at all.

Yeah, but Dragoncave updates sprites.  So who's to say the comments aren't useful.

35 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

You say that as if it's possible to give crits on a holiday dragon before it's released.

Also, again, I am not attacking or even talking about the artist. I am talking about the work itself. It is no different from reviewing a movie. If people cant handle their work being talked about, then dont put it out there- but the artist hasn't even indicated this has upset them so you're all jumping to their defense for no reason. I reserve the right to speak.

3 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

You say that as if it's possible to give crits on a holiday dragon before it's released.

Also, again, I am not attacking or even talking about the artist. I am talking about the work itself. It is no different from reviewing a movie. If people cant handle their work being talked about, then dont put it out there- but the artist hasn't even indicated this has upset them so you're all jumping to their defense for no reason. I reserve the right to speak.

Yep you can't and you know who can? TJ, who clearly likes it since he choose it for the release.

You do realize incave spriters talk to each other right? Just cause they haven't posted here doesn't mean they haven't talked to their friends.

Holiday dragons pretty much NEVER get sprite updates + why would they update a sprite less than a day old? They don't.

Edited by Tinibree

Just now, Tinibree said:

Holiday dragons pretty much NEVER get sprite updates + why would they update a sprite less than a day old? They don't.

The Valentines 09 were updated.  And if these get updated, the artists might go back to this thread for suggestions.