Pilauli

Holiday Biome Change: Show Needed Eggs

Why has this come up now?  The holiday biome is moving really slowly, and I just need one more Floral-Crowned, a.k.a. the latest holiday.

I think I heard TJ did some sort of ratio tweaking to make the supply better agree with the demand a while back, but here's another suggestion.  For holiday dragons (with breed limits) it would check the users currently viewing the holiday cave, figure out which eggs they need to complete their set, and spawn more of those at the next drop.

Now, this may go against his ideas for cave, or it may be an inefficient use of site maintenance time, but I don't think I've seen this suggestion yet and thought it was worth throwing out there.

Thoughts?

Edited by Pilauli
Changed title, because it used to be very vague.

The idea of every user seeing different eggs in the biomes or AP has been shot down many times by TJ. 

As for picking what is needed by those looking, viewers change far too often, for the cave to decide which dozen or less it should drop in 5 mins.  And if you mean the hourly drop, maybe you will have already found it by then.  Besides, maybe the other viewers DO need the ones blocking you.

Actually, Arsani seems to be the one that keeps dropping the most and just sitting there while mutamores are the one that drops the least. When you're trying to code hunt for mutas and you hardly see one drop to try to view it's code and realise it is a code only to be snatched up before not seeing one the rest of the hour is kind of frustrating.

I was missing a CB on Heartseekers (2012) and Radiant Angel (2014) and it only took me an hour or so at most of waiting and watching for the breeds I didn't need to clear to show an egg I did - not exactly a bad waiting time in my opinion.

Personally, I see no reason to change how the Holiday biomes work. There will always be those new players who need those breeds, or older players who may need to 'replace' a CB (as if memory serves, releasing or killing a Holiday 'resets' the total counter, but Zombifying keeps it *I could be wrong*) who can 'clear' the eggs.

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

The idea of every user seeing different eggs in the biomes or AP has been shot down many times by TJ.

I think the OP meant that all see the same eggs, but breeds that spawn the most are those the viewers don't have full limits of and is proportional to their summed up limits. like if 20 people camping the biome at :04 were missing 5 Florals, 31 Radinats, and 19 Arsanis and were all full with Mutamores, the :05 breeds would be mostly Radiants, some Arsanis and very few Florals and none to 1 Mutamore.

Though I'm still convinced the breed limits are just not needed anymore at all. The holiday biome has hardly any competition this season, it spawns sufficient amounts of eggs(at last!) and the numbers of players camping this biome is also rather low (around 20 everytime I look).

I feel like this would really screw with ratios in general, and wouldn't really help users in general either. This idea is making a pretty big assumption, that the breeds the most users don't have their limits of = the breeds people want the most in the biomes. Just because, say, 20 users don't have their limits on Floral-Crowneds, that doesn't automatically mean that breed is the most wanted. And that definitely doesn't mean that breed is underpopulated in general... Ratios are a thing. I have no idea what exactly TJ did that one time when he 'fixed' the drop rate for holidays, or how that affected ratios in general, but in general I'm really not on board with the whole 'users want this breed so this breed should drop more' idea. Screwing with ratios and mechanics just because users 'want' more doesn't seem like a very good idea in the long run (anyone remember that *years*-long metal drought that happened after metals were accidentally more common for awhile?!).

I can't see how this could really work. If I am correct, eggs are only generated on the hourly drop and then divided among the 5 minute drops. That means the cave would most always be behind in generating the eggs needed by the people who are hunting at any given moment. Would everyone who checked that biome in the previous hour be counted or just the ones that are there at the moment the eggs are generated?

I'm with them. I don't see the need or the sense of this, and I don't see how it could work, either.

I would like to see the past 3 year dragons drop just a bit more. Right now, Floral Crown, Soulstones, and Mutamores are scarce in dropping. They're there but by the time I look at a Mutamore code, it's already gone before I can process it while the older ones are just jamming up the biome

So... that's several counts of "it works fine the way it is," possibly with shades of "kids these days want everything now," and several of "it's probably not practical to change," and Dalek Raptor thinks it would make code hunting easier.

4 hours ago, VixenDra said:

I think the OP meant that all see the same eggs, but breeds that spawn the most are those the viewers don't have full limits of

Yes, thank you.  I knew what I meant, but apparently other people didn't.

10 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Besides, maybe the other viewers DO need the ones blocking you.

My logic was that if they needed the ones blocking me, they would have picked them up and then they wouldn't be blocking me.  Admittedly, they might be egglocked right now or something.

4 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Just because, say, 20 users don't have their limits on Floral-Crowneds, that doesn't automatically mean that breed is the most wanted.

This is a point I hadn't considered.  People don't want a complete set of CBs?  Really!?  (Now that you've pointed it out, of course, it seems obvious.  I happen to think a couple of dragons are really ugly, and if they were holidays, I probably wouldn't want them. :))

It looks like my first suggestion is a flop, then.  I'm amused, not upset, but that's hard to tell, of course, because you can't see me chuckling about my failure to produce something that doesn't look like sarcasm.

If TJ tweaked the ratios to where the newerish breeds would drop more often then being stuck behind the older breeds it would help