Keileon

Filter-Based Breeding Page

(I ran a search and saw only a couple suggestions similar to this, nothing that was this suggestion exactly. If this is a duplicate just... go ahead and merge.)

Something that's gotten more and more prominent as I fill out large amounts of long-term breeding projects is that the breeding page is a lot more unwieldy than the Add to Group or Fertility pages. While the latter two are scrollbar-list-based with a text filter that can narrow the search based on breed, name and code, the breeding page is still just a long list that you need to ctrl+F on to find a specific dragon that you haven't bred to the target dragon before. While the current system WORKS, I think it can be a lot better.

Ideally it'd match the format of the Fertility and Group pages: a smaller element within the page that includes a scrollable list of dragons, showing sprite, name and code, with a text field above that you can type into in order to narrow the results. The con of this is that the dragons aren't clickable, so you can't check the lineages; this is pretty easily solved by just... making the dragon clickable, or providing a lineage link with the information it shows. Recurring mates would still show up at the top, and rejected mates would still be greyed out.

This is one of the areas of the site I'm actually surprised hasn't been updated yet (didn't Fertility also used to be like Breeding is now?) seeing as it's pretty much half the game. Once you get into the thousands of dragons and start planning more and more lineages, it becomes an actual issue of convenience.

Support.

I think this is only a temporary solution, because the best think would be to also be able to filter by group or a tagging system. That would be a time-saver. But that's another suggestion.

In the meanwhile, bringing the breeding page up to the standards of the fertility page is a must, for me. I don't understand why the change wasn't made simultaneously, but if it's already coded and done, I don't think it would be that much of a hassle to apply to the breeding page, right? 

And it would be sooo more user-friendly, specially on a cellphone where the searching option is a pain!

Being able to filter by group would be great, but I think the framework needs to be changed on the breeding page first. That way, both breeding and Fertility can get a more expanded filter system afterwards.

Like the fertility page, but with the additional option to "only display dragons from the following groups: X Y Z" would help immensely.

Edited by olympe

I thought about this for a while, since there is almost no post about this matter, i thought it just me having this problem. I kinda solved it by Naming the Dragons systemically but it would still be great if the breeding page would add some filter.

For Example 

Filter Dragon with / without off-springs (Big help on avoiding inbreed)

Filter Breed

Filter Dragon by Generation

Sort by Rarity (would referrence to the market price)

Sort by Name

Sort by Group

Thanks for the post, you let me know that i'm not the only one having trouble of keeping track over 1,000 dragon on scroll.:(

Rarity will never fly - it is almost user-determined, and opinions differ even within that. I suspect that by generation would also be tricky. But by breed should be OK. By group would be wonderful. If it's too hard to do from the general breed page - maybe when one has a group displayed, we could have a filter for breed within this group ?

Nothing that suggests inbreeding is not OK will fly, I hope - it has been stated over and over and over again that there is nothing wrong with inbreeding, and no disadvantage within the game; it's player preference and only that.

By name - I use find and type the name in; If you don't know what name you want in the first place, why would filtering by name help ?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Nothing that suggests inbreeding is not OK will fly

Nah, but filtering for dragons without offspring should still help find the dragon for whom a specific mate has been built.

E.g. it would have prevented this mishap: https://dragcave.net/lineage/Orryl

Plus, there are still people out there who like to have lifetime-couples only ...

If you have THAT precise a gameplay, you really have to manage it yourself. Sorry, but....

Point taken about no offspring, though.

Well, thanks for your understanding. :dry: I was just trying to point out the different uses for this that have NOTHING to do with inbreeding or not.

Plus, it wouldn't AT ALL prevent breeding to a sibling of the other gender.

I was referring obliquely to one player... nothing personal... XD

Another thing I'd find quite helpful would be this:

1) Show previous mates on top.

2) Show only one sprite of each available breed. Have that sprite lead to a list of all dragons of that breed available as a potential mate. Alternately, filter by breed.

Because, let's be honest: We have around 200 breeds at the moment. Yes, some of them are not of the standard breeding group, and some are one gender only and so on, but that still leaves us with over 150 breeds to look through. I most cases, I either know exactly what breed the partner is supposed to be, or I'm looking through the whole list to choose a mate that I think looks good with the (usually new breed of) dragon. In the first, I can easily scroll towards the breed I want, then take my pick. In the second, I have an easier time scrolling because, with some breeds, I have a hundred or so individuals, so there's way less scrolling involved.

Also, out of curiosity: How does searching for a certain name work on mobile?

Filtering by breed or groups would be nice. I'm planning a CB massbreed in the future and sifting through all my non-CBs won't be fun...

25 minutes ago, olympe said:

Also, out of curiosity: How does searching for a certain name work on mobile?

on my tablet - click top right > "find in page".

Yes please! I have a little over 4k dragons and the breeding page is tough, can't imagine it for those with even more dragons.

Support. I have more than 4100 available mates right now for both males and females in the regular dragon breeding group...I would love to even just have a simple filter by breed so i can narrow down the available mates just to the breed I want.

I just reached 8,000 dragons, so I definitely support this.🤯 

There should be a filter to narrow down what your looking for, just like the influence list has.  (I use the search feature in my browser.)  I also noticed that on mobile, which I use exclusively, there can be a lag in the scrolling speed of the 

breeding list.  That sometimes leads to misclicks and wrong mates being selected.  I considered it my phone's problem, but it may be the same with others, idk🤔

Edited by jerzeeshadow

52 minutes ago, jerzeeshadow said:

I also noticed that on mobile, which I use exclusively, there can be a lag in the scrolling speed of the breeding list.  That sometimes leads to misclicks and wrong mates being selected.  I considered it my phone's problem, but it may be the same with others, idk🤔

I had that happen to me a month or so ago...with my CB prize. Never breeding on mobile again after that. 

Fully support this suggestion. I am one of the people who do not have their scrolls super amazingly organized (mostly because sorting while also checking lineages is also a pain but that's a different issue), so having something like the fertility filters available on the breeding page would be extremely helpful.