angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Undead BSA: Infect (zombie creation)

I actually don't support this idea because of kinda selfish reasons. Many people who knows me (usually on discord) would know that my main and only actual goal that keeps me playing DC is making zombies and zombie lines. I "like" that there is a breed which has harder chances to be hoarded than other dragons and even harder chances to make planned lineages. I like this challenge and this challenge keeps me playing DC. Even Neglected Dragons are easily achievable if you have the people to help you and the patience to sacrifice your eggslots for a long time until the experiments come. Undead Dragons are not that much so, which makes me jump in joy everytime I manage to get one and that joy is even duplicated many times if I manage to get a vital dragon for my lineage turned.

The chances getting boosted by this kind of a BSA would mean that as you have more Undead Dragons, you can have a lot more chances to get even more. And your Undeads would have the ability to increase exponentially in amount, which basically would be skyrocketting. Speaking for myself, this would kill most of my hype for the Zombies and therefore also the game.

I like that there is one breed type that is "hard to get" and "can be an ascendant on a lineage". I also love that they have static probabilities. Everyone playing the game has the EXACT SAME chances to get a Zombie and this never changes depending on your amount of current Zombies or whatever. The fact that it doesn't need hunting skills or good internet connection is so awesome too. They are simply the ONLY rare dragons (besides CB prizes, but those have "ridiculously low" chances to get. Zombies are not nearly as hard.) that everysingle person has the same chance to get regardless of their hunting ability/internet connection/trade power. This is why I want them to stay the way they are and why I am so much against such a BSA.

Also, people are usually exaggerating the hardships of getting zombies. I have collected many datas of Zombie Success rates so far and I can easily and confidently say that as long as you use your kill slots efficiently, WITHOUT even needing to use your revives on Normal days (not 31th's), you should get more than 18 (Which is the number of Zombie sprites) Zombie Dragons in a total of 2 years. While it surely is a long amount of time, it is nowhere people usually think that it would actually be at. And that is if you only use 31ths of months. Considering you use your kill slot most efficiently, including the normal days, you should expectedly have around 23-24 dragons Adult Zombies per every two year. This part was supposed to be insightful and if anyone wonders more about my data and research into this can just PM me to learn more about it, by the way.

TL;DR, I think that Undead Dragons are a unique type of Rare dragons that are equally available to everysingle person and they should stay so. They are also one of the only challenging parts of this game and I think that having some challenging parts are okay for a game as some players like me tend do go after those. People tend to believe that Zombies are much rarer than they actually are and therefore get discouraged to even try. And finally, even if there will be a boost in Undead Dragons, I believe that this SHOULD NOT be through BSA's. Therefore I completely disaggree with this topic. Boosting the number of kill slots would be the better option, although I honestly would dislike that very much too.

Let me give you an example with 2 different people, using the suggested chances you give.
A has 20 dragons
B has 2 dragons
First BSA use -> A has 30, B has 3
Second BSA use -> A has 45, B has 4,5
Third BSA use -> A has 67,5, B has 6,75
As you see, it only helps skyrocketting A's already many Undead Dragons while keeping B's at a lower count (Which will also skyrocket after some point definitely but still)
Sooo, to put simply, I am against such a BSA with everything I have 🤷‍♂️

Edited by FeatheryWings

I could see a turn rate of even 20-30%, but it's a nice way to reward players who take the time to collect zombies with what amounts to more 'kill slots'.  Cooldown of once a month also makes it much more slow-going. I also believe the BSA fits the dragon perfectly. 

I strongly believe that something needs to change to reflect the fact that every bodytype of dragon has a zombie. Previous rates were chill when there were just three different forms to collect, but now we have 54 different forms, and that number could still grow.  You still need to take the time to plan it out, and you still need to put the effort in to get the zombies. But it gradually makes it a little easier if you do choose to put in the effort to get the zombies.

I had close to 40 zombie... "candidates" this past Hallowe'en and came out with 3 zombies, so I'm definitely here for another and/or more successful method for obtaining them. Especially since there are so many cool sprites now! 

I'd still much prefer tweaks to the current mechanic rather then abolishing the thing that makes undeads completely unique. I *like* that zombies are the one breed in this game that can *only* be gotten one specific way that includes planning, luck, and persistence. I very much agree that the current chances/rate of turning is horrible and something definitely should change, especially since we now have *so* many different types of zombies to collect. But imo that change should be a better percentage chance of successful turning, as well as less dodging (and maybe even more kill slots?). 

6 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'd still much prefer tweaks to the current mechanic rather then abolishing the thing that makes undeads completely unique. I *like* that zombies are the one breed in this game that can *only* be gotten one specific way that includes planning, luck, and persistence. I very much agree that the current chances/rate of turning is horrible and something definitely should change, especially since we now have *so* many different types of zombies to collect. But imo that change should be a better percentage chance of successful turning, as well as less dodging (and maybe even more kill slots?). 

You would still have to make zombies the “proper” way to at least get your first, though. For the first few it’d definitely be easier to make them via the normal route—it just eases things down the line. You could also only get “CB” zombies without an infected by tag via the original method.

8 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Infect BSA acts just like more kill slots, except you need to work for them. That's why I like it. The only difference is that there's no true cap on how many kill slots you may end up with. In terms of rates, it would be nice if Infect had a higher success chance than regular revive, since it makes sense thematically, but it doesn't have to be as high as 50% - that rate can be left up to TJ to decide,. Some rate that doesn't make it common but definitely makes it a bit easier would be nice. I could imagine something like 1/5 or 1/10.

Finally, like all other BSAs, I think it only makes sense for an adult zombie dragon to be able to Infect. That also slows down the conversion rate, since there are so many hatchling sprites!

This is kinda a cool idea. Zombie Apocalypse to join my Vampire hoard. The scroll of the Undead!

11 hours ago, High Lord November said:

Infect BSA acts just like more kill slots, except you need to work for them. That's why I like it. The only difference is that there's no true cap on how many kill slots you may end up with. In terms of rates, it would be nice if Infect had a higher success chance than regular revive, since it makes sense thematically, but it doesn't have to be as high as 50% - that rate can be left up to TJ to decide,. Some rate that doesn't make it common but definitely makes it a bit easier would be nice. I could imagine something like 1/5 or 1/10.

Finally, like all other BSAs, I think it only makes sense for an adult zombie dragon to be able to Infect. That also slows down the conversion rate, since there are so many hatchling sprites!

Not at all like kill lots. Such a BSA would only make zombie counts skyrocket in long run and make them no more special, just like vampires. 

Consider that you have 10 adult zombies already, which is not a hard number to get by using the current methods already, and a 31 days BSA cooldown with 1/10 infect chance.

1st Month: 11

2nd: 12,1

3rd: 13,21

4th: 14,532

5th: 15,987

6th: 17,476

7th: 19,223

8th: 21,145

9th: 23,259

10th: 25,584

11th: 28,142

12th: 30,956 = ~31

Which means that within a year of ONLY using this BSA, even with a rate of 1/10 turns, you'll get 21 more Undead Dragons. This is almost twice the amount you can normally get within a year rn with current methods. And it will grow exponentially like crazy pretty soon. After reaching 30 or so dragons (Which will happen pretty quickly), people will probably not even use the current and actual method of zombie making, as why would you bother after being able to get at least 3 Undead dragons using the BSA everymonth? And as your hoard grows it will even grow more ridiculously larger.

Therefore a BSA would not be plausible in my opinion. As I have also mentioned before, this is the "only" rare breed that everyone has the same chances to get regardless of their current amount of dragons and hunting skills/internet connection. I like some variety, especially if that variety is being fair to everyone.

It is also not nice to the people who has like a single undead dragon, they will try to get a "single" zombie and it will take them like 5 months (1/10 chance), optimistically, while a person with 30 Undeads will get 18 Zombies in those 5 months using the same method.

Just nope.

Edited by FeatheryWings

13 minutes ago, FeatheryWings said:

Not at all like kill lots. Such a BSA would only make zombie counts skyrocket in long run and make them no more special, just like vampires. 

Consider that you have 10 adult zombies already, which is not a hard number to get by using the current methods already, and a 31 days BSA cooldown with 1/10 infect chance.

NOT HARD ? What planet are you on ?

And why does it matter if the numbers go up ? they need to, now that we have so many different sprites.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

NOT HARD ? What planet are you on ?

And why does it matter if the numbers go up ? they need to, now that we have so many different sprites.

Umm why am I being shouted at?

You can get those 10 dragons in a single year using your kills efficiently, unless you are really unlucky, in which case it can take a bit longer. I got my own 28 in around 3 years at max, considering my hiatuses. And no, it is not RNG, because RNG gets dissolved to almost nothing as the data pool grows.

With the same logic, the time that has passed between the sprites release was more than enough to collect like 2 of each sprite tbh.

Still, even if there is a "need" for increase, that need is not an "exponential growth" and this is what I am trying to tell here... I am much much more okay with a "linear growth", like maybe 5 more kill slots or double chances (which I'd still dislike tbh). 

See, I have 28 adults rn, using this BSA with "1/10" infect chance and "31" days cd, I'd have

87 zombies in the end of the first year

275 zombies in the end of the second year

865 zombies in the end of the third year

2716 zombies in the end of the forth year

8525 zombies in the end of the fifth year

You see the ridiculous snowballing with the "exponential growth"? This is why I especially dislike and definitely do not want such a BSA idea. It kills all the specialty of Zombie dragons and it also is a disgrace to all my and other Zombie makers' efforts to get the Zombies and Zombie lines we have right now.

Edit: There is only one way I can see such a BSA working without ruining Zombies. That'd be like how Trio dragons do. Once you use the BSA on a single zombie, all other zombies' BSAs should have to go an a CD too.

Edited by FeatheryWings

I really don't see any issues with zombies losing their "special" status by becoming easier to obtain. As others have stated before, we have a freaking billion new zombie sprites to collect, and as more dragon body types get added, then that sprite count is only going to rise even further. And with how utterly terrible dodging is as a mechanic and how poor the turn rate is, I am in full support of a BSA like this. Anything to make obtaining all the zombie sprites actually possible within a reasonable amount of time, instead of having it take years. And is it really such an absolutely terrible, horrible, godawful world-ruining thing if zombies became more common? No one complained when monthly raffles became a thing and CB Prizes became so much more common all of a sudden.

CB Prizes have a linear growth relative to the raffle attendants count, not an exponential one... Their numbers do not grow upon their current numbers and will never have the possibility to be more common than anyother dragon.

Games take dedication and absolutely optional choices can take even more, to reward the players who has the determination. I don't see why people would like to kill the challenge just because they want to get something but at the same time not work towards it by going through the challenge. That only kills the fun for the people who likes those challenges. Anyway, that is not the point, as if it was I wouldn't be only texting here but on the "Raise the kill slots" suggestion thread too... It is the exponential growth such a BSA would cause that I am mainly arguing about.

Edited by FeatheryWings

57 minutes ago, FeatheryWings said:

Umm why am I being shouted at?

You can get those 10 dragons in a single year using your kills efficiently, unless you are really unlucky,

I was just gobsmacked. It took me (just a sec) 8 years to get my first eight - and not for want of trying. And I'm not alone - look at the zombie success thread. Most Hallowe'ens I was ready with a load of naturally dead hatchies and murdered adults in two batches.

And with how utterly terrible dodging is as a mechanic and how poor the turn rate is, I am in full support of a BSA like this. Anything to make obtaining all the zombie sprites actually possible within a reasonable amount of time, instead of having it take years.

Exactly.

I wasn't particularly in favour of this one  - I'd actually rather the dodge rate went down and the the turn rate went up, but I am rapidly coming around to supporting it.

40 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I was just gobsmacked. It took me (just a sec) 8 years to get my first eight - and not for want of trying. And I'm not alone - look at the zombie success thread. Most Hallowe'ens I was ready with a load of naturally dead hatchies and murdered adults in two batches.

Ah, I see! As far as I know the success rates have been increased after 2016 August release, also backed by the dragcave wiki (I don't know how much it is trustable but I think it should be?). From my and other people's experience, chances must be so that you get around 10 to 14 zombie dragons per year.

Edited by FeatheryWings

I have kinda given up on actively trying to get more zombies because of the godawful turn rate, not to mention the millions of dodges that I keep getting whenever I actually feel like trying to get a zombie. I s'pose if this BSA is a touch too drastic to implement I could take a reduced chance of dodging, or something like changing the dodge mechanic to not be the result you get 100% of the time when trying to kill this specific dragon for the next 24 hours. But honestly, I really, really want something to be done about the abysmally poor turn rates.

5 hours ago, FeatheryWings said:

Ah, I see! As far as I know the success rates have been increased after 2016 August release, also backed by the dragcave wiki (I don't know how much it is trustable but I think it should be?). From my and other people's experience, chances must be so that you get around 10 to 14 zombie dragons per year.

Raised yes - in that we can get them all year, so more attempts are possible. But the success rate is still dismal, and the dodge rate is too high.

The wiki is unofficial - based only on used experience. I can now TRY more often, but  my dodge rate and turn rate seems much the same as it ever was.

Others seem to have the same issues.

10 hours ago, FeatheryWings said:

It is also not nice to the people who has like a single undead dragon, they will try to get a "single" zombie and it will take them like 5 months (1/10 chance), optimistically, while a person with 30 Undeads will get 18 Zombies in those 5 months using the same method.

That’s how the game (and life) works though. I’ve played this game over a dozen years and have two dozen CB Golds. I can breed a lot more 2gs on average in a month than someone who joined recently and only has one CB. That’s not unfair, that’s just being around longer. Same with zombies. Everyone starts out at square one. Why is it unfair for people who’ve built zombies over ten years to have more than those who just made their first? It’s not.

Support! Sounds really neat. And it would follow the popular zombie lore.

11 hours ago, FeatheryWings said:

As someone who only has 1 zombie, I honestly wouldn't mind that. I hate making zombies because I hate the whole idea behind it (yes, even if they are just sprites, sorry). So even such a small chance through an alternative method would be better than none at all for me.

Also, we aren't just talking adult zombies. We're talking hatchlings, which don't have BSAs. Hatchling sprites make up 2/3rds of the zombie sprites. So if you use your zombies to try and get hatchlings, you DON'T get another effective killslot. 

The slow growth prevents it from immediately overtaking normal killing as a mechanic. It's fair that players need to start off and build their way up, and it'll be a long time before high return is seen. And flavour-wise - isn't that how disease or zombie infections spread anyway? You have one, which turns into two, which turns into four, which turns into... :P 

Edited by High Lord November

10 hours ago, Sazandora said:

I really don't see any issues with zombies losing their "special" status by becoming easier to obtain. As others have stated before, we have a freaking billion new zombie sprites to collect, and as more dragon body types get added, then that sprite count is only going to rise even further. And with how utterly terrible dodging is as a mechanic and how poor the turn rate is, I am in full support of a BSA like this. Anything to make obtaining all the zombie sprites actually possible within a reasonable amount of time, instead of having it take years. And is it really such an absolutely terrible, horrible, godawful world-ruining thing if zombies became more common? No one complained when monthly raffles became a thing and CB Prizes became so much more common all of a sudden.

........... No one complained about CB Prizes being more common? Oh goodness! Guess you never saw the people that *insisted* their CB Prize was now 'ruined' and 'not special'!

As for zombie's 'special' status, their specialness does not have to be tied to how easy/hard they are to obtain. In fact, I'd say that a good deal of their specialness has nothing at all to do with that. I am *totally* interested in making zombies *easier to obtain*. What I do not want is for the *method* to change so drastically. Let's break it down: 

Dragons on DC that can be made/obtained through a BSA: Guardian of Natures, Sinomorphs, Vampires

Dragons on DC that can only be made through the kill/revive mechanic: Zombies. Only zombies.

Zombies are special in that they are the *only* dragon to have that specific mechanic. YES, let's increase the odds! Let's decrease dodges! Let's increase kill slots! Make them easier to obtain, definitely! But I don't want them to simply become yet another BSA-dragon, instead of that one special mechanic. The entire point of Undeads, at least the way I see it, is that they have a very special mechanic that takes very specialized planning (collecting 'fodder', timing the kills correctly to have the best and most chances, etc). It really doesn't matter if this BSA still requires the first zombie to be made 'normally', it's still a complete change in what zombies are. 

I can see I'm totally outnumbered though, so... *shrugs*

I don't see why the zombies couldn't have two mechanics. And the first mechanic is still very necessary for the first few years of zombie collecting. Just my two cents, if it changes so dodge rates are lower, success rates are higher, and you get more kill slots with a higher trophy, I'm happy with that too. I just really like the flavouring/lore of the BSA and I think it's interesting how you have to work for it.

10 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

That’s how the game (and life) works though. I’ve played this game over a dozen years and have two dozen CB Golds. I can breed a lot more 2gs on average in a month than someone who joined recently and only has one CB. That’s not unfair, that’s just being around longer. Same with zombies. Everyone starts out at square one. Why is it unfair for people who’ve built zombies over ten years to have more than those who just made their first? It’s not.

Yeah sorry about that, I wanted to mean "equal" by "fair", not a native speaker so sometimes I can mix similar words too easily :(

That is not "unfair" but the thing I try to mean is, much like HeatherMarie, the Zombies are the only dragons to be created this way that makes them special and also because of their creation method, they are the only rare dragons that everyone can acquire with "equal" chances. All the other rares work like either the way you say or need some hunting skills/good internet connection. There already many other dragons that favor the people who sticked since the beginning or had the skills and is it really bad that a single rare dragon breed doesn't work this way and be equally available instead?

8 hours ago, High Lord November said:

I don't see why the zombies couldn't have two mechanics. And the first mechanic is still very necessary for the first few years of zombie collecting. Just my two cents, if it changes so dodge rates are lower, success rates are higher, and you get more kill slots with a higher trophy, I'm happy with that too. I just really like the flavouring/lore of the BSA and I think it's interesting how you have to work for it.

Again, talking by 1/10 conversion rate (And have in mind that I am talking by the value you gave earlier, OP even says that it will be 1/2, which would literally make the original method a joke because after getting a "single" Zombie, you can have 129,746 Zombies by the same time next year only by using this BSA) and 31 days CD of this BSA, the actual mechanic would not be "very necessary" after reaching 3 dragons tbh, which you can get in some "months" not really years. Let's say current method provides you with around 10 dragons per year, which many of the people here argues that it is much fewer. After reaching 5 Zombie adults, people will be getting more Zombies in one year with using only this BSA (10,692). Meaning that normal methods will already be the "less rewarding" method in the next year after just 5 Zombies. Many people also have like at least 5 Zombie adults already so they'll never ever need to use the original method and the original method will pretty quickly become quite useless compared to the BSA method anyway.

I actually love BSAs, and would like to see my favourite breed type have one if it was possible. I just can't see it working with how overpowered this BSA is with the exponential growth it provides that it is not possible to have this BSA without making the original method of making zombies very very useless compared to the BSA.

Edited by FeatheryWings

I would REALLY love to see Zombie creation being made easier, collecting them is such a pain it's tempting to give it up completely sometimes. However, I kinda agree with the points raised by @FeatheryWings. Indeed, this BSA would make the process *too* easy fairly quickly, and also too similar to the whole Vampire mechanic, making Zombies no longer unique, which would be a bummer imo.

I think a cool alternative would be to give Zombies a BSA that can be used on dead dragons to greatly improve the chances of zombifying. That way one would still have to use the traditional method, i.e. killing a dragon/letting a hatchie run out of time and then attempting to revive it, but with the BSA used it would no longer be as frustrating and futile. And the more Zombies you get, the easier it will be to make them, but at least not ridiculously easy.

So yeah, support for BSA for Zombies per se from me, but for a different version of it :D 

Random alternative idea: Swarm or Awaken

Scroll-wide cooldown (2 weeks? 1 month? More?) with increased chance for every zombie currently on your scroll like trio Summon. Mass revival of all available tombstones on your scroll, possibly with drawback of no chance for "actual" revival and only dust or zombification? Base chance would be time-based and same as regular revive. (Probably unavailable during regular day.)

Pros: decreases zombie-making by a few clicks, gives bonus without it becoming exponentially high over time, unique mechanic

Cons: a small bonus probably isn't good for those frustrated by zombie chances in general, limited to dragons you've already killed and therefore useless regarding dodges/vamp/EQ taking kill slots

Just a thought, seeing the points raised in this thread.

Have to agree that the suggested BSA would make zombies way too easy compared to current odds and I find it hard to believe that TJ would go for it. With my 20+ adult zombies I've gotten since 2017 and the minimum suggested chance of 25%, I'd get an instant 4 zombies the month it was implemented, then 5 the next month.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 1:34 PM, FeatheryWings said:

I actually don't support this idea because of kinda selfish reasons. Many people who knows me (usually on discord) would know that my main and only actual goal that keeps me playing DC is making zombies and zombie lines. I "like" that there is a breed which has harder chances to be hoarded than other dragons and even harder chances to make planned lineages. I like this challenge and this challenge keeps me playing DC. Even Neglected Dragons are easily achievable if you have the people to help you and the patience to sacrifice your eggslots for a long time until the experiments come. Undead Dragons are not that much so, which makes me jump in joy everytime I manage to get one and that joy is even duplicated many times if I manage to get a vital dragon for my lineage turned.

The chances getting boosted by this kind of a BSA would mean that as you have more Undead Dragons, you can have a lot more chances to get even more. And your Undeads would have the ability to increase exponentially in amount, which basically would be skyrocketting. Speaking for myself, this would kill most of my hype for the Zombies and therefore also the game.

I like that there is one breed type that is "hard to get" and "can be an ascendant on a lineage". I also love that they have static probabilities. Everyone playing the game has the EXACT SAME chances to get a Zombie and this never changes depending on your amount of current Zombies or whatever. The fact that it doesn't need hunting skills or good internet connection is so awesome too. They are simply the ONLY rare dragons (besides CB prizes, but those have "ridiculously low" chances to get. Zombies are not nearly as hard.) that everysingle person has the same chance to get regardless of their hunting ability/internet connection/trade power. This is why I want them to stay the way they are and why I am so much against such a BSA.

Also, people are usually exaggerating the hardships of getting zombies. I have collected many datas of Zombie Success rates so far and I can easily and confidently say that as long as you use your kill slots efficiently, WITHOUT even needing to use your revives on Normal days (not 31th's), you should get more than 18 (Which is the number of Zombie sprites) Zombie Dragons in a total of 2 years. While it surely is a long amount of time, it is nowhere people usually think that it would actually be at. And that is if you only use 31ths of months. Considering you use your kill slot most efficiently, including the normal days, you should expectedly have around 23-24 dragons Adult Zombies per every two year. This part was supposed to be insightful and if anyone wonders more about my data and research into this can just PM me to learn more about it, by the way.

TL;DR, I think that Undead Dragons are a unique type of Rare dragons that are equally available to everysingle person and they should stay so. They are also one of the only challenging parts of this game and I think that having some challenging parts are okay for a game as some players like me tend do go after those. People tend to believe that Zombies are much rarer than they actually are and therefore get discouraged to even try. And finally, even if there will be a boost in Undead Dragons, I believe that this SHOULD NOT be through BSA's. Therefore I completely disaggree with this topic. Boosting the number of kill slots would be the better option, although I honestly would dislike that very much too.

Let me give you an example with 2 different people, using the suggested chances you give.
A has 20 dragons
B has 2 dragons
First BSA use -> A has 30, B has 3
Second BSA use -> A has 45, B has 4,5
Third BSA use -> A has 67,5, B has 6,75
As you see, it only helps skyrocketting A's already many Undead Dragons while keeping B's at a lower count (Which will also skyrocket after some point definitely but still)
Sooo, to put simply, I am against such a BSA with everything I have 🤷‍♂️

I've been following this discussion and finally decided to post that I'm 100% in agreement with what FeatheryWings said. I've been collecting Zombies every Halloween for almost 10 years now and I have only 31 of them.  Along with only two event related badges, they are my most precious DC possessions.  By making them available so easily you will be reducing their value in terms of specialness.

I've only recently realized that the ability to turn Zombies has already been increased and I now intend to take advantage of the ability to turn them on the 31st of each month that has them.  IMHO, this is a good opportunity to try to increase my collection and I'm happy with it. I'm not asking for more.  :D