Moonwick

Disallow CB Holiday Offers if Trader is at Limit

As always speak up and redirect me if this has already been suggested and I missed it. I feel like I can't be the only one who thought of this.

I was just thinking though, would it be a good idea if during holiday events, where we are limited to having only 2 CBs of a breed, it disallowed others to offer CB Holidays on our trades if we are already at our limit for that breed? Sometimes they get mixed in with other things we want to accept. It'd be nice if people just couldn't offer them at all if you're at your limit.

Similarly to how it says (Too young) or (In trade) for other notifications if a dragon is not allowed to be traded.

It could be something like (User is already at their limit for this breed.)

Would this work out? Would there be problems with it?

Sometimes people trade CBs for code reasons, though. Like one CB for another CB. So both traders could be *at* their limit, but the trade wouldn't put them *above*.

So I'd suggest this a little different: disallow CB holiday offers if the trade would put either side ABOVE the limit (or at least provide a message when attempting to offer CBs that says so).

(Personally, I'd prefer the "Ability to accept part of a trade" approach though. Probably easier to code, fewer exceptions to deal with, and would solve multiple issues at once!)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

9 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Sometimes people trade CBs for code reasons, though. Like one CB for another CB. So both traders could be *at* their limit, but the trade wouldn't put them *above*.

So I'd suggest this a little different: disallow CB holiday offers if the trade would put either side ABOVE the limit (or at least provide a message when attempting to offer CBs that says so).

(Personally, I'd prefer the "Ability to accept part of a trade" approach though. Probably easier to code, fewer exceptions to deal with, and would solve multiple issues at once!)

True, I agree there. I did mean adult CBs, but you can release them in order to trade for codes and such anyway, right?

Also, rats, I totally forgot about that other suggestion and honestly now that you mention it, it would probably be better off that way instead.

Sorry! I was suddenly like "omg this thing could work!" and wanted to share buuut now I'm thinking the same as you.

Tbh I wouldn't like a limitation like that :unsure: :blush:

For example, personally I'm at my limit for CB Holidays, but I imagine if I were to be offered a CB Holiday with a code I really like or whatnot on some trade of mine, I would be tempted to release one of my CB's and accept the offer I got. However it's unlikely that I'd ever decide to release my CB Holidays in advance only in order to specifically look for codes /dates/etc. in trades during the Holiday season. If such a limitation is in place, I'll be forced to do so in order to find CB offers. On the other hand, if no limitation exists but there is a message notifying the trader offering that I'm at my limit, it may discourage them from making an offer I might have potentially been interested in.

Does this make any sense? XD This isn't necessarily about me btw, just imagine it going on for any abstract user who may have specific wants, playing preferences etc.

Basically, I'm generally against any tweaks that restrict trading opportunities and flexibility, and this one can do that in a number of scenarios.

Instead, I'd like to see some additions to trading, such as the "pre-written reasons for declining offers" thing floating around in Suggestions atm, so that if you're offered an unwanted CB Holiday along with dragons you actually want, you can decline the offer with a note attached to it, letting the user know that you'd like the CB to be excluded from the offer. Or the "ability to accept only part of the dragons offered", ofc!

Edited by Tears in Rain

So far I've gotten no offers of CB past Holidays, I got all of them and apart from the very oldest Holidays around (Holly, Yulebuck, Valentine '09, Sweetling), all of them were caught the year they were first released so they mean a lot to me and I would never release any of them. Which is why I support this suggestion.

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Yes. It would fix this one at a stroke:

On 1/16/2019 at 12:01 PM, Ruby Eyes said:

That was me this Christmas (and will be this Vday as well); I didn't want to release my old, never bred CBs until I got a coded offer. I have no problems with the things as they are now. Absolute no against total blocking, however I wouldn't mind being able to accept a part of the trade, as suggested in the other thread. 

On 1/16/2019 at 3:01 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

Like one CB for another CB. So both traders could be *at* their limit, but the trade wouldn't put them *above*.

The site already handles this case, and allows you to swap as long as no one exceeds their various limits.

That said, I think the current behavior is a good thing: you're allowed to make an offer, and over the course of time between offering and the trade owner choosing to accept, things can change. The owner can e.g. see a CB event dragon that they like more than their current one, and abandon/trade it away before accepting the new one.

I absolutely take your point about becoming locked etc after making an offer. That was why I started my thread - please could we be allowed to accept part of a trade ?

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I absolutely take your point about becoming locked etc after making an offer. That was why I started my thread - please could we be allowed to accept part of a trade ?

This would solve so many problems - from scroll-lock (and the inability to accept more than one item) to CB limits to "really have no use for this, but want the rest of the offer without abandoning anything of mine".