Fuzzbucket

Ability to accept part of a trade

This has come up peripherally in many threads, and would get around so many issues on the hub.

When someone offers exactly what we want - with added extras we can't accept or don't want - why can we not accept just PART of that trade ?

I have 8 eggs. I put one up for trade and ask for one egg or hatchies. People will then offer me two or three eggs, including exactly what I want, hoping that the extras will make me pick their offer - but even if it's the only offer I ever get, I can't accept. And chances are they will assume it wasn't enough, and not offer again That's so unnecessary

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Older thread:

(Wow, we've had trades in 2011 already?)

And: yes please.

22 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

Older thread:

(Wow, we've had trades in 2011 already?)

And: yes please.

OK that's funny. I did search... :lol:  But that thread did make it awful COMPLICATED !

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Support! I'm not a big trader but I have had this happen so often when I do venture into trading. It was bad enough when all trading was on the forum but there was a better chance that the person who offered also had a forum account. Now with the hub it is less likely that you can contact them by PM.

Personally, I see no harm and a big potential for making things run smoother in the trading hub, so full support.

Omg yes please yes please! This would fix a lot of problems, being unable to accept because they offered too many, not wanting some of what they offered, the fact that we can't *tell* them why we aren't accepting... Yes. Yes please. I've gotten this kind of thing a lot, I've taken to putting '(1 egg only please!)' when I can't accept anything more but even that doesn't work all the time. I get the mentality of 'more eggs equals better chance', but yeah it would be wonderful if we could choose to only accept part of the offer.

I come across this problem as well, perhaps they could add an optional reason tab similar to what HeatherMarie was saying. So, I support this!

I wholly support this. It would alleviate more than half of my own trading obstacles, and doubtless would improve the Trade Hub as a system.

On a related note: Has anyone here played those pre-installed Windows games, specifically online 1v1 Checkers? Recall the drop-down menu of responses? There was no direct communication, and no need for the messages to be scanned or monitored for abuse.

Personally, I would be ecstatic to see something of this sort implemented. Trading should not be a silent struggle or a guessing game.

Some loose examples

"Unable to accept your offer - Reason: Egglock."

"Accepted (code) and (code) - Thank you!"

"Declined (one part of the offer) - Reason: Unwanted" or "Not enough space."

"Declined (entire offer) - Reason: Not what I requested."

Yesterday, I offered on a trade that requested "Any CB BSA hatchling," with a CB White hatchie. Right after I offered, I realized I was egglocked and quickly dumped the unwanted egg - but in that timeframe, the trader declined my offer. I figured the reason for declining was because of my initial egglock, so I re-offered - and was declined again.

Now, in these situations you are left guessing - Did they not notice I opened a slot, and declined out of annoyance at the repetitive offer? Or did they not actually mean "Any"? Did they forget to pluralize it and actually wanted multiple?

It's not as if the loss of one trade is an insurmountable tragedy or anything. It's just the process itself. It's counter-intuitive for both parties. The point is for each person to get what they want, and yet the Hub makes me feel like I'm stuck in the Tower of Babel.

I think it'd go hand-in-hand with the ability to accept part of a trade. i.e, Why was the other part declined? It may not matter to some, but I question how players are meant to become better at trading if they never know what mistakes they've made (if any).

I've declined several trades for this reason.  People who are not on forum or who have different names, so you can't tell them.  It would be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

This would be very handy for those times when you write 'W: CB Hatchling (only room for 1)', because you only have room for 1 growing thing, and get offers with two hatchlings and an egg.

I imagine initially you'd click an 'Accept All' or an 'Accept Some' button (or 'Decline' - essentially just a third option on what we have now), and after clicking 'Accept Some' something similar in format to the page used to create the trade could be used to choose what.

15 hours ago, FiveSix said:

This would be very handy for those times when you write 'W: CB Hatchling (only room for 1)', because you only have room for 1 growing thing, and get offers with two hatchlings and an egg.

I imagine initially you'd click an 'Accept All' or an 'Accept Some' button (or 'Decline' - essentially just a third option on what we have now), and after clicking 'Accept Some' something similar in format to the page used to create the trade could be used to choose what.

Why make it so complicated? Just add a checkbox to each item of a trade. Default is all boxes checked (=accept all). If you want to accept only part of the trade, uncheck the boxes for the stuff you don't want. If necessary, add a warning when you hit accept and don't have everything checked. Or change the button from "accept all" to "accept" if you only have part of the offer checked.

Edited by olympe

Yes please. I've had offers that included something I want as well as CB holidays I can't take, offers with too many eggs or hatchlings... Please?

This would be very helpful. I have also had a couple trades in the past that had to be passed over because of the little extra. Also great around CB limit holiday season..

I totally support this idea! It would make trading a lot easier, I don't like guessing game that we have now.

Support, support, support!   Also, maybe a way to message the person with a reason for not accepting everything, like the notice we get when someone offers or accepts our trades.  Just something they can click on and read without having to search them out on the forum.

I would like this feature the other way round, too, by the way. Like a counter-offer, you could say. Especially useful when the other trader cannot be found on the forums ...

Situation: I see a trade with multiple eggs, but only 1 of them is of interest to me (something z-coded and an Ice egg). I offer exactly what was requested (a Magma), and now I would like to have some checkboxes next to the other trader's eggs - default would be "select everything".

I really only want the z-coded thing, so I'd leave the checkbox next to that one ticked and unselect the one next to the Ice, and submit my Magma offer.

As it is now, I have to leave room for TWO eggs in hopes of getting that one z-coded thing, and later, I'll have to get rid of that unwanted extra egg, too. That eggstra Ice.