pinkgothic

ANSWERED:Forum: Smiley adjustment (minor)

This is a really minor suggestion, but would really help me when editing large posts.

Can the character sequence:

):

...be made not to turn into the smiley 😞? It does this consistently on save if there's a style switch before it.

For example, I can't do this without the smiley appearing once I hit 'Save', regardless how often I replace it:

Blah blah (as you can see here😞

And my current work-around is to e.g. move the style switch to a different location in the text, if I can:

Blah blah (as you can see here):

But I do have to work around it, and this makes work.

So, if the smiley list is configurable, rather than hardcoded, could that sequence be removed?

This please!

I have to adjust my script all the time for thr Moon Watch thread because of this "emoji curse" as I like to call it.

Is there difference on whether open or close parentheses are used?

-Let's see

:( or 😞

:( or ):

Both of them transformed.

Into different smileys, but they both did.

That's annoying.

I'd much rather have emojis or the forum emoticons be an option. Sometimes I actively want the little :) guy, but a lot of the time I want to convey just the symbols, like : ) so having forum emoticons be optional would be really nice.

And obviously for the reasons mentioned in the OP, this can be super annoying. So I definitely support this!

:(. If you put a period right after it, it doesn't do that.

I have to say I LIKE that it does that, so....

Just to clarify, in case there's any confusion here, I am not asking for the behaviour of this character sequence:

:(

...to be changed. Just this one, which most people do not tend to use to make a frowning smiley:

):

OMG I had no idea that did that :) It's those NASTY new black and white ones. Support getting rid of ALL of those :)

Even so, using a period after that nasty one also works to stop it. ):.    

On 1/12/2019 at 11:12 AM, pinkgothic said:

Just to clarify, in case there's any confusion here, I am not asking for the behaviour of this character sequence:

:(

...to be changed. Just this one, which most people do not tend to use to make a frowning smiley:

):

Sorry! I didn't meant to cause confusion.

I still agree with the change though!

I am in support of getting rid of all of the newer automated emojis (ex: 🙂😄 ) and leaving them optional. Horizontally flipped emojis like the one OP mentioned and emojis like 

c:
=)

were my workaround when I didn't want the automatic emojis, but most of them are now blocked by the new emojis and it annoys me. We already have emojis like :) for those so they don't look necessary.

2 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

I am in support of getting rid of all of the newer automated emojis (ex: 🙂😄 ) and leaving them optional. Horizontally flipped emojis like the one OP mentioned and emojis like 

c:
=)

were my workaround when I didn't want the automatic emojis, but most of them are now blocked by the new emojis and it annoys me. We already have emojis like :) for those so they don't look necessary.

The fact that c : becomes 😄 is honestly my least favourite thing ever. 😄 is NOT c : in any way!!!! I fully support what Sky says here!

2 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

c:
=)

Yes yes yes. ALL those automated black and white ones are horrid and serve no purpose AT ALL. (And add nothing to posts because you really have to squint to see a lot of them.)

Also, 😎

8)

This one is the reason why I'd like a smiley deactivation option for a post. Because this one is actually turning the commonly used sequence of the characters involved into an emoticon, but sometimes that's just NOT intended - when you really just want to put something in parenthesis that happens to end with 8.

We simply Do Not Need all those b/w smilies. Simples.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

We simply Do Not Need all those b/w smilies. Simples.

Btw, if they are black and white depends solely on your font (what's installed on your device) - for me, they are colourful.

Really ? What font do they show as ? I might install it anyway !

@Fuzzbucket I'm really curious as to what they look like for you!

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-10-44-14.png

I have a Mac and an iPhone, so this is what they look like for an Apple user like me. I think they're hideous xD

I really wish they didn't appear automatically but am unsure as to whether it's a pre-installed emoticon thing on our devices or a forum thing. Either way, if there's a way to stop it from happening I highly approve of that!

Like this - in part. You don't need them all ? Maybe they are less vile for you ?

552512461_Image1.png.da0b05c42c708fa9db61cf8706faf72b.png

I am on a PC. Yours look like the foul ones some sites offer for fakebook.... Even the BW version are better than yours :blink:

Ugh I may be on to something: https://emojipedia.org/apple/ 

But basically we seem to have loads of these in b/w - for me...

https://emojipedia.org/apple/

Edited by Fuzzbucket

314686435_ScreenShot2019-01-14at11_02_41.png.83fa3ad477a9740a08796bd816d7155e.png

So much less vile!! I'd download yours if I could!!

Or better yet, just have them be an option instead of automatically inserting when you type ;) 

I like the ORDINARY ones being typeable.

ETA just went to the invision forums. It seems there is actually no way to individually disallow them. And a far as I can see, TJ would have to delete each one individually. There are many complaints from people running serious professional sites with lots of parentheses. But it seems invision wants to get away for emoticons and use emojis instead - which is what you are seeing. It's more MODERN, you see... I hate emojis. Emoticons are politely tasteful. Emojis are bloated and YUK.

I'm on a number of forums where in your profile you can choose whether or not to have them appear when typed in - just as you can (or could; not looked lately) choose to view sigs or not.... You have to choose one from the drop down on the occasions you actually want one.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Wow, it looks so different for everyone. Mine looks like this flat yellow thing:

emoji.PNG.bf8dc93cdf7ff5f2936e48416579ba9f.PNG

And uh oh, I'd hoped they'd be more easy to do away with. I don't mind the original smileys, though if it became a choice of turning all automated emojis/emoticons off or turning all of them on, I would choose to turn them all off and maybe put a couple of the original ones in manually.

If ever there were a good reason for TJ to kill these extra things, these variations are IT. If I want to say something with a smiley and get this 😇 someone else may see something that offends them deeply.

Just to add to the collection of "oh, so this is what they look like for other people?" - my version:

image.png.374db29d59edf9311fc7954f08ab2d7f.png

It's... interesting. :P 

Lol.

They all look so different.

This is how they look on my LG Android:

243893910_Capture_2019-01-14-17-49-48.png.774c2561a5cc91d08a2360c0238c6fa3.png

Otherwise, they look the same as on Skywolf's on my computer.

Is it really good to have these if they all loook so different depending on the device?

Edited by Shokomon
The image is way bigger on my computer than I thought it would be.

No it is NOT :)

But they seem to come from mobile stuff - on another forum I have just spotted one - form a mate I know was using her iPad.

I must go look at my Android. But NOT now ! Was this another of invision's silly ideas ?

I like that this is being addressed because I like emojis. Not only are they cute, but it gives you the ability to convey an emotion/reaction without using your real face, which I feel is important for online communication sometimes. On any site or chatroom, I have never enjoyed being forced to use smileys when I try to type in a text emoji like ":)", because sometimes a good ol' text emoji just expresses how I feel better. Does anyone else get that?

With the emojis being different for different people, it does that with phones too. Sometimes an Android style emoji will convey a COMPLETELY different emotion/reaction when viewed on an iPhone. This struggle isn't limited to this forum, but it's so annoying for everyone at times. On this website you can view each version of a certain emoji. There are quite a lot of variations. Depending on what device or browser you're using, they will be different, and it can be frustrating for communication.

I feel this is why sometimes text-only faces like ":)" and "c:" show what emotion/reaction you are trying to convey better, because you know that everyone will see the same thing as you see. 

If there is a way to make it option for the auto emoji-insert to be turned off, then it would be fantastic, because I can see why people would still use the auto insert; it's easier than looking through a long list of smileys just to find one. 

So, that brings me to this: what I really don't understand is why it can't just be the basic ones that turn into emojis like :):(:P and so on. Those are fine, at least in my opinion.

There really is no reason for things like "(:" and "c:" to turn into an EXTREMELY SPECIFIC emoji... and it's funny because most likely if you're typing something like "(:" or "):" you're probably purposely trying to avoid an emoji to start with.

Anything beyond the basic things :), :(, :P, :D, etc. ought to be left out of the mix, it just complicates things. I tell you, it's surprising how many times I've tried to come across a certain way in a PM by typing a face, and some random ugly emoji appears in its place and it's TOTALLY not what I wanted!

EDIT: Ah....that's what it was last time. I ALWAYS try to type = ) but it turns into... 😃 ?!? 

Edited by Tesla