pinkgothic

The Release History Of Dragon Cave Spiral

black_f.png  pygmy_m.png The Release History of Dragon Cave Spiral pargulus_(peach)_f.png xenowyrm_(aquilo).png

Dragon Cave has been around for a while now, and gifted its users a lot of gorgeous sprites to collect. But who remembers the order they were all released in? Who remembers when sprites were changed? How about when dimorphism was added? Specific dragons got their BSAs?

With your help, I'd love to work on a spiral lineage called The Release History Of Dragon Cave.

dragcave-release-history-spiral-beginnin

mystery.gif Lineage Rules

• The lineage is a (kind of) spiral, so the pattern we're going for looks something like this.
    I say "kind of" because our spiral does not have a uniform spine. If you have spiral offspring from breed A and your CB is breed B, you should try to get breed B from the pair before the lineage continues. (But: We won't do this for holidays because otherwise we'll never catch up to Dragon Cave today.)

• CB dragons contributing to the lineage can come from any scroll, but should be caught on the date of the release.
    Sometimes this will be tricky to impossible, but we should pitch in an honest effort, and always prefer dates as close to the release as possible.

• Except for the initial CBs (which will be called The Release History and Of Dragon Cave in the main line), dragons should be named with some piece of trivia relating to the release they represent.
    For example, you might name a pair something like Black Dragons Were x Amongst The FirstHowever, since we're predominantly using pre-existing CB dragons in this project, this is not a hard rule (just a very nice to have). I don't want anyone feeling like they can only contribute their rare dragon if they rename it. In that case, it's entirely sufficient to name the dragon's mate (the previous pair's spiral offspring) something trivia-like.

Due to breeding restrictions, we can't include all dragons (Vampires, Dinosaurs, the drakes, the pygmies, ...), but we can at least start separate spirals for different egg groups.

mystery.gif Questions You Might Have And Their Answers

What counts as a release for the purpose of the lineage?

The following things should appear in the lineage, if possible:

• A dragon (from the respective spiral's egg group) was added to the cave.
  • A dragon got a sprite change. (While we unfortunately can't show the original sprites, this is still interesting trivia.)
  • A dragon got a BSA.

For our purposes, normal egg group dragons also include event dragons and raffle dragons.

Dragons we can sneak into the lineage through covert means (zombies!) can also be added in, parties willing!

What about hybrids? Hybrids don't exactly come in CB.

Well, there are some CB hybrids from the first raffles! While they're not from the release date of the hybrid, I'd still love to get those integrated if their owners show interest, but of course that depends on the parties being willing. :) Nonetheless, most hybrids will simple work by breeding two CB species into the line (in sequence), and then continuing the lineage only once a hybrid was produced. For example, if we're trying to add Blunas, breeding might work like this:

1. the first person might choose an eligible CB Skywing (i.e. one that was caught around the time Blunas were released)

2. it would be bred with the line for Skywing offspring

3. the next person (or same person, either way!) might choose an eligible CB Deepsea (i.e. one that was caught around the time Blunas were released)

4. it would be bred with the line for Bluna offspring.

What about single-gender species? They might 'fall' badly into line; if the spiral is currently female and the release is female-only...

That means breeding another round of the parent species (if possible) as a filler. If that's also not possible (e.g. due Christmas-Valentine genders falling in line), the previous release will be used as a filler CB, and so on.

For example, if we're trying to add (a reference to) Blue-Winged Solstices, Mistletoes and Heartstealings, which are all female, we could reach back to Desipis CBs as fillers between the CB Solstice, CB Mistletoe and CB Heartstealing.

What about species that were released on the same day?

Those will be entered into the spiral in alphabetic order, unless there is a reason to reorder them (e.g. sprite likeness - bright pinks looked more like female Arias than male Arias, so letting them come into the spiral as females would be preferable purely by aesthetic association).

Won't rares hold this line up for a very long time?

At some point, we're going to have to try to get rares out of commons. In that case, there will be several common parents on (hopefully) several scrolls, so we can brute-force our way forward. For example, if we were trying to breed a Gold to a Water dragon for a Gold, the parent pair of the Water dragon is going to be milked for Water dragons and scattered across scrolls for pairing with Golds until we get a Gold from someone.

But while this methodology will speed things up a tiny bit - yes, rares will slow us down!

What about holidays?

We're not letting those breed true, unless there's a breed-only variant (at time of writing, this only applies to Blue-winged (Day) Solstices).

What about variants? (Do we want all CB Snow Angels represented in the line? Alt Sweetlings?)

Variants should be considered if they were an initial design choice and/or warranted their own release post. This means we'll include all three Snow Angel variants, Red Dorsals, Tan Ridgewings, et cetera, but not alt Sweetlings (which were given out as a compensation for people who had lost Sweetling eggs they had caught to a glitch). When in doubt, we're including the variant.

Can I contribute if I disagree with any of these guidelines?

Yep! This lineage project is mostly meant to be consensus work, so if you think some decision I've made is silly, just speak up and say so. It isn't guaranteed to change minds, but there's a pretty good chance!

How can I contribute?

Generally speaking, if you have the next dragon in line (look into the reference document and find the Current Breed section for the spiral you're interested in!) from its release date, ask for offspring of the previous pair and breed your CB to it.

If you have the Next Breed in line (see respective section), it helps to contact whoever is working on the Current Breed so you can arrange to get offspring. This isn't usually a big issue, but e.g. if we're trying to get a Gold out of a Water in the Current Breed section, your Aria might be best mentioned sooner rather than later for when we get that scarce Gold!

If you have dragons caught before the Fog and like this lineage idea, please give me a shout! I only joined the site late in 2008, which is far too late to contribute to the beginning of the line.

mystery.gif Scroll too new to breed? You can still help with...

...questions that have arisen over time! Much of this is just straight-up research work, or may be easy to answer by people with better memories than pinkgothic. Any help is appreciated!

• When was the teal Water sprite replaced?
  • When did the Common Pygmies look like their 'Old Sprite' (wiki)?
  • When did Geode males receive their touch-up?

And generally collect lovely Dragon Cave trivia for the breeders to plug into the line with the dragon names!

Also, if you're thinking "but what about <obvious problem>?", I probably completely failed to consider it. Let's discuss it in this thread!

dragcave-no-spine-spiral.png

Edited by pinkgothic

Timeline documents:

(In all lineage information, the symbol ⏲️ denotes steps where we have no CB release date critters. If you do, hit us up.)

Trying to come up with names for your dragons in this lineage, and the species itself isn't that interesting to comment on? Try the Anyone Remember The Old Days thread, or research some of Ruby Eyes' prompts in this post.

[ = CANONICAL PROJECT DATA = ]

Due to the forum being an unreliable data storage and us keeping track of a lot of data, everything worth noting about this breeding project exists in a Google Doc.

Edited by pinkgothic

OH wow this is cool!

But... I don't remember when the fog was? I think I joined after it, but I'm not sure, I joined in 2008 I think.

I have a pair of blacks that could be Named Appropriately, but they would be too young I think.

At any rate, I'd love to participate.

20 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

CB dragons contributing to the lineage can come from any scroll, but should be caught on the date of the release.

Well dang. Up to here, I liked this idea (actually had it myself, just no space to start it yet).

@jumpsnake: This page might help: https://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Release_Timeline

20 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Well, there are some CB hybrids from the first raffles! While they're not from the release date of the hybrid, I'd still love to get those integrated if at all possible, but of course that depends on the parties being willing.

Muahaha. Emmiesage has been inactive for years so I don't see much chances for the Soulpeace. You might be luckier with CB alt Blacks.

Are you going to make one for 2-Heads, Drakes and Pygmies, too?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

7 hours ago, jumpsnake said:

OH wow this is cool!

But... I don't remember when the fog was? I think I joined after it, but I'm not sure, I joined in 2008 I think.

I have a pair of blacks that could be Named Appropriately, but they would be too young I think.

At any rate, I'd love to participate.

They're bound to be younger older than mine! ^_^ Especially the beginning release dates are ones I expect are going to be next to impossible to match by people still active now, which is why I mention trying to get as close to the date as possible. But 2008 is absolutely fine - it's post-Fog, but I doubt it's realistic that I'll manage to get someone with blacks from before 2008 that is also willing to rename them. XD

While I've been playing since 2008, my oldest CB blacks are only from Jun 14, 2012 and Dec 10, 2013 (...I was not really into CBs before lineages were introduced XD). So anything better than that would be amazing.

From when are yours? ❤️ I'd be happy to give you dibs on getting this rolling if they're from 2008, honestly, unless you know someone whose CB blacks are even older that wants to partake. ^_^

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Well dang. Up to here, I liked this idea (actually had it myself, just no space to start it yet).

I figure it'd be awesome if people can click on the CBs to get the release dates, that's why that goal is there. It's another piece of trivia to explore. ^_^ (Sadly I do think the first couple releases are totally lost to time and to the early player's lives progressing away from Dragon Cave. But for the ones we miss, we could put the release dates into the dragon names?)

Muahaha. Emmiesage has been inactive for years so I don't see much chances for the Soulpeace.

Rats. :) But thanks for the info!

Are you going to make one for 2-Heads, Drakes and Pygmies, too?

Ah, yes, I totally didn't forget about the two-headed dragons in my first post cough... 

I'd absolutely be up for it! They're certainly easier to complete, if also less epic in result. You'd be interested? ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic
Only just noticed I used a totally unintuitive word! Sorry!

It would be a tad shorter. From my sheet:

Split Dragon    2007-10-12, female 2008-05-13 (says the wiki - the female Thuwed Split is from 2008-05-14)
Gilded Bloodscale Dragon    2013-05-23
Duotone Dragon,    Two-headed Lindwurm    2013-08-04
Hooktalon Dragon    2015-05-20
Nexus Dragon    2016-05-21
Baikala Dragon    2017-07-17
Bauta Dragon    2017-09-30

So if anyone has a 2nd gen Thuwed Split, we're set to start XD

Edited by Ruby Eyes

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It would be a tad shorter. From my sheet:

Split Dragon    2007-10-12, female 2008-05-13 (says the wiki - the female Thuwed Split is from 2008-05-14)
Gilded Bloodscale Dragon    2013-05-23
Duotone Dragon,    Two-headed Lindwurm    2013-08-04
Hooktalon Dragon    2015-05-20
Nexus Dragon    2016-05-21
Baikala Dragon    2017-07-17
Bauta Dragon    2017-09-30

So if anyone has a 2nd gen Thuwed Split, we're set to start XD

Oh man. I get this doesn't apply in this case, but this makes me think how one would even start the spiral if the species to start it with used to be single-gender! XD Imagine the original bright pinks were the first dragons. What a headache that would be!

Like most my CBs, my Splits only start being CB in 2012. Grumble, grumble. I'm really probably the worst person to do this lineage. XD (Though it looks like I might have release-day CBs of all the others, except Hooktalons (a day off, grr).)

Do you have older ones?

only male 2010: https://dragcave.net/view/QpKH

Most of my Splits from my join year 2009 are messily lineaged (though obviously purebred)

Were you going for both gender sprites for each breed (would look like this)? Or would you just keep a center breed like in your Halloween example and add individuals of both genders in from both sides?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

27 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

only male 2010: https://dragcave.net/view/QpKH

Most of my Splits from my join year 2009 are messily lineaged (though obviously purebred)

Were you going for both gender sprites for each breed (would look like this)? Or would you just keep a center breed like in your Halloween example and add individuals of both genders in from both sides?

Well, 2010 is better than I've got! XD And female did come later, so...

What do you think? Do we have a chance at finding someone interested in this project with older CB splits?

Regarding the pattern of the lineage, both gender sprites (for breeds that had dimorphism at the time), but without a spine ('center breed'). Like this:

dragcave-no-spine-spiral.png

(and so on)

Same pattern with the regular line, with the exception of holidays (mostly because if we kept those in we'd only advance at most one release year per year, since the holidays would be blockers until they got into season, thus never letting catching up to the current year :P).

This is a very interesting idea.  I'll not be able to assist in the very first part as I didn't join until July 2011.  

I do get confused with things simply called "the fog" without a date reference.  The wiki time line doesn't actually mention it.  There is another list (no longer apparently updated, ends at May 2014).  You can find the link via AoND - Extras > General Topics > DC History.  It takes you here.  Where they do mention "the fog" specifically.

So my blacks are not as old as I thought, 2009 for two females. My oldest male is only 2011. Sorry :(

Seems like many of us the first dragons I had were not all CB, since we couldn’t see lineages. I have a CB maji and water from 2008 though. 

I still dont don’t mind using mine if you want, but totally fine if you want to see if someone else has older ones. 

It might actually be more feasible to use *new* individuals, named specifically for this lineage.

23 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Female would be this from 2013: https://dragcave.net/view/n/Fang And Foxy

I guess I could rename them to add the release date and then start breeding.

Alternatively, ask maybe Lavinia if they'd breed their Thuwed Split for us? XD It's even unnamed yet!

I've got splits from 2012: https://dragcave.net/view/pR1dr x https://dragcave.net/view/BtvjO - although the male's much older than yours, of course.

...before you rename or breed anything, I think I am going to message Lavinia. XD It's a crazy idea that just might work! And it would be pretty epic.

[ Edit: Eep, I got a bit side-tracked looking for other people I could pester as well. I've got some real life assaulting me tomorrow and the day after, so, just so you can plan with this, know it'll likely be Friday before I can get back to this. I've already sent out some PMs, but I doubt I'll hear back from those people (I suspect they're inactive ❤️). Lavinia is still on the to do list! ]

18 hours ago, Dracaena said:

This is a very interesting idea.  I'll not be able to assist in the very first part as I didn't join until July 2011.  

I do get confused with things simply called "the fog" without a date reference.  The wiki time line doesn't actually mention it.  There is another list (no longer apparently updated, ends at May 2014).  You can find the link via AoND - Extras > General Topics > DC History.  It takes you here.  Where they do mention "the fog" specifically.

Do you want me to reach out to you when we reach 2011? ^_^

5 hours ago, jumpsnake said:

So my blacks are not as old as I thought, 2009 for two females. My oldest male is only 2011. Sorry :(

Seems like many of us the first dragons I had were not all CB, since we couldn’t see lineages. I have a CB maji and water from 2008 though. 

I still dont don’t mind using mine if you want, but totally fine if you want to see if someone else has older ones. 

Thanks for checking the dates on your Blacks! Shame for the late male - I would have gone with a 2009 pair, for sure. What genders are the Magi and Water? I can try to plan it so that part goes through your scroll! ❤️ (Though I also have a Water from 2008: https://dragcave.net/lineage/xtOF XD and I should try not to forget that I have an Aria from 2008... https://dragcave.net/view/1538)

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It might actually be more feasible to use *new* individuals, named specifically for this lineage.

For the blacks, specifically? I suppose that could work - they're the title of the lineage, after all, they're not part of the trivia stream themselves. Hmm. Okay, sure. Let's pick the initial CBs from a recent source. I guess they could mark the beginning of the The Release History Of Dragon Cave project. XD

Given I got jumpsnake's hopes up earlier, I'd offer to let them decide, and if we go with recents, let them decide who ought to raise them.

For other species, I would like to keep to "at least pitch in an honest effort to get them close to the release date", otherwise we're going to have an awful lot of names based on release dates and no real room for other trivia. Fair?

Edited by pinkgothic

I’m fine with whatever, I’d like to be part of it but if there are better options for the start that’s all good :)

Here is my oldest maji: Dragon

and my oldest water: Other dragon

I also have at least one white from 2008.

Question: I thought the first to grow up was a green? Was a black the first stolen? Just wondering. :) 

Eh, I wasn't here at the very beginning, but I was here since before old pinks a Nd frills discontinued. I did get a lot of cave borns from that time on until a few years ago around releases. Except the first few unnamed pages mine are sorted by breed. Naming is usually xyz aeza if CB xyzaeza if bred and inbred has ib in the name (Some exceptions such as Tinsels are all xyz Aeza).

If I ever have time I may try to organize the tenish unnamed pages at the front.

Feel free to check for any that match what you need and pm me. I will respond and breed when I have a moment after work.

Edited by surevesta

(yes! I'm up late right now posting here XD shhhh ❤️)

On 1/9/2019 at 12:10 AM, jumpsnake said:

Question: I thought the first to grow up was a green? Was a black the first stolen? Just wondering. :) 

Technically we're going for release dates, which means usually several breeds share their release date and we can juggle things a bit. :) I started with blacks because if you order the first breeds alphabetically, blacks turn up first - and they were one of the most iconic early breeds, what with the added alt.

I'd say go ahead and catch some blacks. Send me a PM about when you're around this weekend (or if you're not available this weekend, whenever else you're around, I can work with just about anything with enough advance warning, really), so I can pass those starter names to you? ❤️

Two-headed Lineage

Thanks for posting, @surevesta! surevesta was one of the people I managed to message last night before I keeled over, and she super-duper kindly bred this Thuwed babbie for me (it has the benefit of being a male offspring from the Thuweds, which is why I approached her). With that said:

Who here has bloodscale dragons from the release date (2013-05-23) and wants to 'start' the two-headed release lineage with appropriate names?! ^_^

gilded_bloodscale_m.png

We're looking for a male bloodscale to start with.

I have this bad boi who I can rename to anything at all, but I don't want to be greedy here. ❤️ Happy to bounce the 3G Thuwed to someone else who wants dibs.

[ Edit: I adjusted the second post to track current needs, and old dragons already mentioned (for steps not yet otherwise planned). Since we haven't set a gender for the 2G black yet, for now I'm going to say neither my nor jumpsnake's CB water from 2008 may be ideal, they're males, and the old sprite then had more in common with the female sprite now. But I'm going to analyse the early female-only species and their placement this weekend, see if that forces our hand about it. ]

Edited by pinkgothic

1 hour ago, pinkgothic said:

(yes! I'm up late right now posting here XD shhhh ❤️)

Technically we're going for release dates, which means usually several breeds share their release date and we can juggle things a bit. :) I started with blacks because if you order the first breeds alphabetically, blacks turn up first - and they were one of the most iconic early breeds, what with the added alt.

I'd say go ahead and catch some blacks. Send me a PM about when you're around this weekend (or if you're not available this weekend, whenever else you're around, I can work with just about anything with enough advance warning, really), so I can pass those starter names to you? ❤️

Gotcha. If we are just getting new ones so no one has to rename/ make it easier, I actually have a pair of unnamed ones we could just use. 

If if we want new ones for some reason though I’ll get some!! 

I for one vote you start the two heads, this whole thing is your idea!

I can volunteer this bloodscale boy TZz5k (also have a female of that date 2cO2l).  I've gotten bad about finding names for dragons since the incubate army reached full strength.  I used to have time to find names while waiting for dragons to hatch and grow, that changed with incubate.  I'm likely to spend an hour or three researching a name (why it takes me so long to find one).

If someone else wants the honor, not a problem. :)

Edited by Dracaena

*briefly sneaks on at work*

13 hours ago, jumpsnake said:

If if we want new ones for some reason though I’ll get some!! 

I guess the reason could be to document the beginning of the project. ^_^ But if you'd rather rename existing ones, that's also spiffy. Send me a PM with when you're around for a name transfer?

11 hours ago, Dracaena said:

If someone else wants the honor, not a problem. :)

I'm hoping to do this entire line with the motto "pinkgothic lays claim to as little of it as possible", so you've got dibs unless someone else pipes up. I'd send you the influenced hatchling once I have it, if that's good for you, timing wise? ❤️

I'm good with whatever on who holds the starting split dragon, though you might want to do it anyway pinkgothic and keep that 3rd gen thuwed. ;)

Using Ruby Eyes' list, I thought I'd go ahead and list the two headed dragons I have that fit the release dates.  

Thought that might help with planning.  The most remarkable dragon is the blue baikala from jungle, there was an oops on release day for proper biome placement.

Two-headed Lineage

I tried to strongarm Dracaena into starting the line, but ΩDracaena > Ωpinkgothic. I yield! ❤️

Hopefully, A Short Dragon Cave History x Of Two-Headed Dragons will like each other. ^_^

Dracaena will get the first babbie if they do and get to continue it with a suitable lady bloodscale.

Thank you very much for listing your release-date two-headeds, Dracaena! I'll add those into the second post in a short while.

Regular Lineage

I did some work on this yesterday (my Thursday evenings are usually internet-free (or at least heavily internet restricted, 'it's okay only if you need to research something') and spent with my primary partner, but my primary recently had some surgery and so preferred me just keeping myself busy in other ways XD) and it looks like the first dragon that will definitely force our hand, gender-wise, is the Holly. (Bright Pinks did come before then, but since Arias are dimorphic I didn't want to declare them total blockers.)

The way I see it, the start of the lineage plots out like this:

(with apologies for my truly awful freehand-on-trackpad annotations)

(thank you to Heart of Blue for making this less painful to mock up than it otherwise might be)

The blue arrows denote where I deviated from alphabetic order in an effort to get sprites that are closest to their then-appearance. (Aria's sort as "Pink" at this point, Vines as "Dark Green", Storms as "Gray".)

And then things get complicated, because I have questions. ಠ_ಠ

In fact, the Skywing may already be in the wrong place. According to the Wiki, there were actually two old Water sprites before dimorphism - one teal Water sprite that was replaced shortly after being released... but I don't know when this 'shortly' might have been! Does anyone know how we can figure that one out, or who might know (other than Teej himself?)?

All questions I have so far (I am up to the Dimorphism update in my sheet): <snip> I moved these questions to the end of the first post and will keep them updated there!

Any help would be super appreciated! (Or even just opinions, e.g. "let's just ignore the teal Water sprite, that one doesn't really count, because ...".)

Other questions that will arise when we get there, just for completion's sake: Filler species! There will be cases when we need them (the three Snow Angel variants need to be spaced, for obvious reasons). I'm happy to decide that when we get there, though.

[ Edit: Oh, and if you notice any errors in the line mock-up, let me know! I used both the release date documents that've been linked so far, but I didn't always check both to make sure they agreed with each other. :I And sometimes they didn't and I picked one over the other. And even if I had rigorously checked... just I make mistakes. Lots of mistakes! ]

(Potential) Pygmy Lineage

Burdened by sheer awesomeness, surevesta offered to breed me offspring from this 2G Common Pygmy Thuwed in case we want to do a Pygmy spiral. I haven't analysed the pygmy situation in-depth yet, but I definitely wanted to ask y'all if you'd be interested in a history spiral of Pygmies as well? ❤️ Or whether you'd rather focus on the Regular and Two-Headed lines, possibly to revisit pygmies when we're done with all the Two-Headed pretties?

am going to ask surevesta for a babbie, however, I only have a male Crimson Flare Pygmy (here) from the release date (meaning I would be unable to pair it with the male offspring of surevesta's female Thuwed). crimson_flare.png So even if we won't work on the spiral just yet, I'd prefer if the baby goes to someone who has a female Crimson Flare Pygmy from the release date (and would be willing to rename the lady when we get going).

Any takers?

Edited by pinkgothic

Huh, my Pygmy is female, too: https://dragcave.net/view/tEmLF

•     Which Alt Black sprite came first? The male or the female? (I am annoyed at myself that I don't remember this!)

I *think* the current male one was first.

•     Were Vampires dimorphic from the get-go? (Again, ttly annoyed at myself for not knowing!)

I think so. Though I cannot really tell from 2008, only from when they started biting.

•     When did Whiptails receive their (fairly subtle) sprite update?

It's been a while, and nobody noticed XD Maybe 2013 or so?

•     For a hypothetical Pygmy history spiral: When did the Common Pygmies look like their old sprite?

I don't understand this question XD

•     When did Deep Seas receive their (fairly subtle) sprite update?

Did they have one? :blink:

•     When did Purple males get their sprite update? (Extra annoyed that I don't remember this one, or know where to look! I remember squeeing over the new sprite at the time.)

They didn't get any. Purple were an all-female breed at first, males came later, directly with their own sprite. The document linked by Dracaena says this:

March 26 2010 Updates

• Dimorphism - new male/female sprites for Daydream, Neotropical, Striped, Geode, Water, Seasonal, Gray, Black and Black Alt dragons introduced. Sprites for 09 Valentine, Ochredrake, female Purple, female Water, and Waterwalker were also touched up.

• Male Purple dragons introduced.

•     Recent, but I fail at dates: Seasonals! When did those get their basically-a-shading-update again?

32 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:
  •     Which Alt Black sprite came first? The male or the female? (I am annoyed at myself that I don't remember this!)

I *think* the current male one was first.

•     Were Vampires dimorphic from the get-go? (Again, ttly annoyed at myself for not knowing!)

I think so. Though I cannot really tell from 2008, only from when they started biting.

•     When did Whiptails receive their (fairly subtle) sprite update?

It's been a while, and nobody noticed XD Maybe 2013 or so?

•     Recent, but I fail at dates: Seasonals! When did those get their basically-a-shading-update again?

Thank you very much! ❤️

I know someone commented on the whiptail sprite change shortly after it happened, and there was a completely tiny discussion about what had even changed (some people weren't seeing it), but as usual that's all I remember about it, which makes the information completely useless. XD

•     For a hypothetical Pygmy history spiral: When did the Common Pygmies look like their old sprite?

I don't understand this question XD

The Wiki has this listed as an "Old Sprite": latest?cb=20140806151646

I don't recall ever seeing this in the cave, though, so I don't know if it was in there, or if someone is pranking the wiki.

•     When did Deep Seas receive their (fairly subtle) sprite update?

Did they have one? :blink:

Hmm. You're right, they might not have. I know it was discussed once, but I can't find the reference for it now. (They've always been one of my favourites, so I'm sensitive to discussions like these. XD And I don't mean the recent one where a user suggested updating the Deep Sea sprite, and I responded with a longer version of "please no T_T".)

I have this dim recollection that they were slightly flatter-shaded in the beginning, but now that I'm searching around, it looks like I'm confusing them with a different sprite by Dove. I'll take that question out.

•     When did Purple males get their sprite update? (Extra annoyed that I don't remember this one, or know where to look! I remember squeeing over the new sprite at the time.)

They didn't get any. Purple were an all-female breed at first, males came later, directly with their own sprite. The document linked by Dracaena says this:

I am reasonably sure this sprite (listed in the "Sprites No Longer In-Use" section of the Purple Dragon wiki article):

latest?cb=20120521211527

...was indeed in the cave at some point (I mean, to the degree I can trust my utterly catastrophic memory at all, but it looks familiar), i.e. right after males were introduced, but only later got replaced by the current one:

latest?cb=20100330013554

I just don't know when the resprite happened. It might have been a day after the Dimorphism update for all I know. Or the "Old Sprite" never appeared in the cave at all.

Also:

Regular Lineage

In my hugepost from last night I forgot to mention that I'd left out zombies. This was a deliberate choice, but if someone here feels like I'm doing the zombies an injustice by leaving them out (despite the pain it would be to get them into the lineage XD and the knowledge that there are only so many dragons from zombie sprite release dates we could try killing to get zombies), speak up now or forever remain silent. XD

Edited by pinkgothic