Sign in to follow this  
Dalek Raptor

ANSWERED:Glitch: Harvests Gone in General

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If it is planned and intended behaviour, he has no need to "resolve" anything. That would just mean the one you caught before was a glitch - just like when a few of us caught spitters in the forest. As I recall, when winters moved to the Alpine, there was no announcement.

I've seen multiple Harvests from multiple winters. If it's intended behavior, then it's brand new, and therefore should have been announced.

Not everything is announced. Deal with it ;)

27 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Quite frankly, if this was deliberate it's on par with making alt sweetlings completely discontinued and deserves the same attention. If a dragon breed was deliberately adjusted so it would actively hamper *any* usage of it without warning, especially when its in-game info is still saying the contrary, it is terrible oversight and I would rather forgive TJ for overlooking another bug for months.

Haveyou considered that people may be trying for lineages with winters from them? Harvests are not the only season-limited dragon, and right now even if you were willing to wait on the harvest half it is literally impossible to get a winter from them to continue a lineage at all, and by the time spring comes winters will no longer breed winter eggs. Not to mention any other x harvest lineages or prize IOUs suddenly stalled to a halt without warning. Not everyone reads the forums, you know.

Edited by Shadowdrake

The only problem with that is that the information on the encyclopedia needs to be changed. And that all those poor harvest x winter breeders are screwed.

53 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's definitely not what I said. I didn't say that everything is/needs to be announced. I was talking about this specifically, as changing the whole entire behavior of a dragon is rather important.

And yeah, Shadowdrake is correct in that not everyone comes on the forums to see if something is intended, glitched, or a mystery. There could be people who tried to breed Harvests and just simply though they had bad luck. A short announcement on the news area of the main site for changes such as this helps inform everyone, both forum and non-forum.

Of course, all the evidence points to this being a glitch.

Edited by KrazyKarp

59 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't mind when the behavior of a new dragon breed is left unsaid and the users have to figure it out. But when the behavior of a dragon breed is RETCONNED-- that is to say, it always USED to work a certain way and now suddenly we're supposed to accept that it's always been the innate nature of the breed to work a completely different way-- then the encyclopedia ought to be immediately updated. Within-game, we've been raising and breeding these dragons for generations and we would darn well already be aware of it if they have a restricted breeding season. It shouldn't be a a secret to be discovered through trial and error when we have a tangible game history of having bred them during that time period hundreds of times before.

I'm in the middle of talking with JOTB about this and trying to see where the glitch stands at this point. If the years prior were or this year is

Edit: this was the only response this far: "They migrate into caves in the mountains every winter to hibernate!"

Edited by Dalek Raptor

Aww, just tried breeding to see if this was true and got no eggs (even used a fertility on one) and a refusal. I wish this had been announced. I don't really like "secret" changes to breeding mechanics or location. I hope this is a glitch. 

This feels like TJ is studiously ignoring the elephant in the room, he found time to post in other help threads last night.

Not sure if everyone realizes that hibernation does NOT equal coma.  Bears do give birth to their cubs in winter and care for them in the den.  I didn't think it all that unusual to find harvest eggs in alpine during the winter "hibernation".

So, is this a glitch that TJ refuses to say anything about until he finds a fix or changed new behavior that he is reluctant to announce?

Well, bears might give birth while hibernating, but they sure as heck don't breed then. And our dragons lay an egg as soon as they're bred, not months later. So this doesn't work for DC.

28 minutes ago, Dracaena said:

So, is this a glitch that TJ refuses to say anything about until he finds a fix or changed new behavior that he is reluctant to announce?

It makes me wonder if it's me he's trying to avoid if he had time to help other people last night while completly ignoring this thread.

18 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

It makes me wonder if it's me he's trying to avoid if he had time to help other people last night while completly ignoring this thread.

I wouldn't take it personally if I were you. The people he answered seemed to be having trouble with gameplay issues which he might have considered more important. More likely it is just TJ being TJ.

The lore says they hibernate in winter in the mountains. Ok:

1) Remove eggs from the Alpine in the winter; they're still available in the market as "market" biome and can thus still breed in biome-friendly ways

2) Make breeding Harvests during winter harder, but not impossible. These harvests aren't roughing it in the wilderness any more, they live with us and are probably kept warmer through the winter, either by moving to warmer climes or by artificial means like indoor heating

But please, don't quietly ax certain breeding behaviors completely after they've gone on for 8+ years. I realize the subset of Harvest x Winter lineages in the game is probably pretty small, but any change that suddenly makes previous things impossible is highly frustrating to the userbase--as has been shown many times before.

Edit: Could still be a glitch, but considering TJ's lack of answer, JOTB's cryptic answer, and an unfortunate precedent of these sorts of things, I imagine it's another poorly implemented retcon.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

6 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

The lore says they hibernate in winter in the mountains. Ok:

1) Remove eggs from the Alpine in the winter; they're still available in the market as "market" biome and can thus still breed in biome-friendly ways

2) Make breeding Harvests during winter harder, but not impossible. These harvests aren't roughing it in the wilderness any more, they live with us and are probably kept warmer through the winter, either by moving to warmer climes or by artificial means like indoor heating

But please, don't quietly ax certain breeding behaviors completely after they've gone on for 8+ years. I realize the subset of Harvest x Winter lineages in the game is probably pretty small, but any change that suddenly makes previous things impossible is highly frustrating to the userbase--as has been shown many times before.

Edit: Could still be a glitch, but considering TJ's lack of answer, JOTB's cryptic answer, and an unfortunate precedent of these sorts of things, I imagine it's another poorly implemented retcon.

I agree with this. I don't really care one whit if Harvests 'hibernate' in the winter and therefore aren't available, that doesn't actually affect me at all. But when it's a *huge* change to how the game has worked for *years*, it NEEDS TO BE ANNOUNCED. People plan their entire game around things like lineages, being able to breed certain combinations, being able to collect certain things at certain times... If something as huge as a breed *totally disappearing* happens, it really really needs to be announced. (That's why I'm still holding onto hope that this is a glitch, because honestly I don't like to think the worst of people and I'd really rather not think that TJ would implement something so huge with no word at all.)

So does that mean we won't be able to breed harvests from Valentines in February? Or are holiday breedings exceptions? Did anybody breed a harvest from holiday after December 21st last event?

I wouldn't even mind this as a change, but it annoys me for it to be a SECRET change. It makes no sense for thousands of people who have been breeding a certain animal for generations to all be suddenly surprised and confused to realize it doesn't breed during the winter. We would all have known this. If a new dragon has a breeding peculiarity, then by all means have fun making us figure it out ourselves, but with an established breed this makes no sense and is hard to suspend disbelief for.

I well understand the “oh shoot, I goofed up” desire to retcon things, but in cases like this where it’s been out of the bag for so long you have to make any new changes delicately.

I actually really enjoy the idea of seasonal migration—wish more breeds did it—but a complete stopping of winter harvest breeding after eight years of it is a different kind of fish.

58 minutes ago, tjekan said:

So does that mean we won't be able to breed harvests from Valentines in February? Or are holiday breedings exceptions? Did anybody breed a harvest from holiday after December 21st last event?

I actually did a Snow x Harvest breeding this year... unfortunately (or fortunately), it was on the 19th. [Link]

As someone who likes Harvests (I have a few lines in progress) and also does a lot of Seasonal breeding, I really hope that this wasn't an intentional change, especially because it targets my favorite breed: Winter Seasonals. It's already tough enough getting everything done with them because of the overlap with both Holiday and Valentine's breeding. I don't need a suddenly impossible pairing getting in the way of long term plans. /:

Just checked my lines. Aside from the holidays I bred to test and got no egg from earlier, I had a Holly/harvest line bred from the 19th.  Just tried breeding them now and got no egg. I also found this line with the last tinsel being born in Jan 2018. https://dragcave.net/progeny/Xb7SY. I tried a random mate and got no interest.

Got word from JOTB and they mentioned that everything is functioning as intended? They're not allowed to talk about the subject apparently and that makes me more confused on the topic. 

Well, we also got a "works as intended" message when people posted about being able to infuence bred Mistletoes, so there is our answer.

42 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Got word from JOTB and they mentioned that everything is functioning as intended? They're not allowed to talk about the subject apparently and that makes me more confused on the topic. 

That seems to be a case of miscommunication. What I had said is that nothing has been changed about harvest behavior.

Which means that no, harvests are not supposed to be unbreedable and/or missing from the cave. The fix for this will be deployed within the next few days.