ninish

In-site tips for newbies

Good day to all~ 

I had this idea the other day, and it *seems* to me that it hasn't been suggested yet, so here I go. 

Can we have a 'rotating tips' section somewhere in-site , that rotates tips for new/returning/forgetful players? Something that appears like, above or below the adds banner, and displays just one line each time? 

Examples and ideas for this could be:

+A Sun egg that hatches during the Day will become a Sunrise Dragon. 

+Valentine and Holiday Dragons stolen from the biomes come in only one gender. 

+Halloween dragons stolen from the biomes can be of either gender. 

+A Glory Drake egg will hatch into a different breed depending on whether it's laid during the day or the night. 

+teleporting or abandoning an egg erases any influence or incubate casted on it. 

+Hybrid breeds cannot be found in the biomes, as they are the result of.... (My English died here, but you get the picture). 

+BSA stands for Breed Specific Action. (Maybe this one's silly, but a lot of newbies get lost with this one). 

+sometimes you can find non-dragon eggs in the biomes. 

+maybe you can find a leetle tree in the forest. 

+When you gather a thunder, a magma and an ice dragon you may attempt to summon a legendary guardian. 

+if you combine a set pf zyumorphs, you get the chance to summon a legendary force. 

+++(or maybe just say:) The Dragon Breeds that have a BSA are: reds, whites, magis... (Thus helping new users know which breeds are nice to have in the beginning). 

Since we can't communicate in the main site, I cried pixel tears whenever I saw people requesting 'cb blue wings solstices' during the past event, or 'cb gender swaps' for hollies and mistletoes, so I thought having some tips displayed here and there could help? Because that's important info for the gameplay (for most people), I'd say, but most of it can't be found in-site, and it forces newbies to find help by communicating with others or going to external sites, like the wiki. 

I have more ideas for this, like:

-the ability to disable the tips somewhere in Account. 

-an option to go to a page which shows all tips at once, for the impatient souls. 

-maybe some tips are locked like the encyclopedia, and for example, when viewing a Sunrise dragon page for the first time, the user would get: observe three more dragons of this breed in order to unlock an important tip about them. Although I don't know if this last suggestion would be helpful really or make things be more painful hahah XD

My battery and my brain died, but I tried. Also I learned English from the internet. 

A site that has a similar setting of rotating tips is GPX+, if that helps. 

I don't know if this would be difficult to code either, but I'd assume not? Maybe it could be disguised as Lore, like, 'your guardian dragon soul tells you ancient wisdom : ...' Yeah... I'm going for coffee. And a battery charger. 

Happy 2019 to you all, fellow dragonists!! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))

I mean there is a Help option which gives lots of beginner info, and it often directs to the forum where people can go to ask questions like the tips give, but the Help page for the BSAs doesn’t even say what dragons can perform them, and it doesn’t give a lot of specifics like those little tips you mentioned. I support this for that very reason. On a couple of other collectibles sites I’m on, they give tips in a little bar just like what you suggested, and even as a seasoned player I learn things from them! This game has a lot of specifics that I imagine would be hard for newbies to pick up on, so stating them as tips I’m sure would be helpful. My only questions are: what information would be selected for those tips, and where is the line drawn? Some things can get really in depth, and others are incredibly simple, so who decides what information would be included?

11 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

My only questions are: what information would be selected for those tips, and where is the line drawn? Some things can get really in depth, and others are incredibly simple, so who decides what information would be included?

No idea :c I'd guess TJ? Or even several mods? Or the people who have helped as DC tutors? Since these people are the ones who should be the most clear in what new players ask more frequently. I mean, I know there's a FAQ in forums, but unless one is added within the site, this could be a nice alternative. 

As for where to draw the line, that'd go to TJ I guess, on how much info he wants to be released 'for free' to ease gameplay and how much should be gained by time and effort, through game experience and unlocking the encyclopedia. We can only suggest which things we'd like added according to what we see troubles new players the most, and hope for the best ahahha. 

Other tip ideas:

+each egg can only be warded once. (We could say that maybe this tip gets unlocked when players successfully raise a white adult?) 

+each hatchling can only be stunned once.  (Ditto but with raising an adult bolt?) 

+The Stunned effect disappears upon abandoning or succesfully transferring the hatchling to another user, but the extra day remains. 

We could also lay off the suggestion of tips until this thing is deemed as 'doable' or 'implementable', and talk about where to draw the line once that is decided, because until then we are drawing on water ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Some other tips:

+ Sunrise/Sunset eggs only hatch between 6AM-12PM (Sunrise) and 6PM-12AM (Sunset).

+ Ultraviolets can occasionally create Spitfire offspring. Even if their mate is of a different breed.

+ Arias can occasionally have normal pink offspring. Even if their mate is of a different breed.

+ The color of Lunar Heralds depends on the moon phases.

+ The moon phases influence whether you're more likely to breed bright or dark Luminas.

+ Breeding two Striped Dragons together can result in Striped Dragon offspring of any color.

+ Sometimes, Avatars/Xenowyrms/Zyumorphs can breed other kinds of Avatars/Xenowyrms/Zyumorphs. (I think this could be worded better...)

+ GoN x GoN pairings will always refuse automatically.

+ The color of a Siyat Dragon depends on the egg's age when it hatches.

+ The color of a Copper Dragon's Copper offspring depends on the mother's biome.

+ The chances of creating a Zombie are highest on Halloween.

+ Drakes, Two-Headed Dragons, Pygmy Dragons and regular Dragons can only breed within their own kind.

+ Spriters of special release dragons (holiday, prize) usually get an alternately colored version also known as a "spriter's alt".

+ Dragon Cave has its own graveyard. Rest in Pieces Peace. https://dragcave.net/graveyard

+ There's a wilderness on Dragon Cave. https://dragcave.net/wilderness

+ Ever wanted to make all your eggs gold? https://dragcave.net/makeallmyeggsgold

+ This egg doesn't actually exist: https://dragcave.net/view/XD

+ This egg doesn't actually exist: https://dragcave.net/view/<3

+ There's a breeding list for offspring of TJ's dragons: https://dragcave.net/thuwed

+ Holiday Dragons of all kinds only breed true during the week of their respective holidays, starting 6 days before the actual holiday and ending with the actual holiday.

+ Seasonal Dragon eggs are reminiscent of the current season (northern hemisphere).

+ Freshly grown Holiday Dragons cannot be bred during the holiday season they grew up in.

+ Some dragons have alternate versions. Not all of them are available in the biomes.

Edited by olympe

*GoN can't breed with neutral holidays outside that holidays breeding week. (Ive seen multiple people ask about why their Heartseekers keep refusing their GoNs)

Or maybe just: *GoN x any neutral breed will only give the other breed, not avatars

16 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

*GoN can't breed with neutral holidays outside that holidays breeding week. (Ive seen multiple people ask about why their Heartseekers keep refusing their GoNs)

Or maybe just: *GoN x any neutral breed will only give the other breed, not avatars

I always forget this myself 😧

17 hours ago, olympe said:

Some other tips:

+ Sunrise/Sunset eggs only hatch between 6AM-12PM (Sunrise) and 6PM-12AM (Sunset).

+ Ultraviolets can occasionally create Spitfire offspring. Even if their mate is of a different breed.

+ Arias can occasionally have normal pink offspring. Even if their mate is of a different breed.

+ The color of Lunar Heralds depends on the moon phases.

+ The moon phases influence whether you're more likely to breed bright or dark Luminas.

+ Breeding two Striped Dragons together can result in Striped Dragon offspring of any color.

+ Sometimes, Avatars/Xenowyrms/Zyumorphs can breed other kinds of Avatars/Xenowyrms/Zyumorphs. (I think this could be worded better...)

+ GoN x GoN pairings will always refuse automatically.

+ The color of a Siyat Dragon depends on the egg's age when it hatches.

+ The color of a Copper Dragon's Copper offspring depends on the mother's biome.

+ The chances of creating a Zombie are highest on Halloween.

+ Drakes, Two-Headed Dragons, Pygmy Dragons and regular Dragons can only breed within their own kind.

+ Spriters of special release dragons (holiday, prize) usually get an alternately colored version also known as a "spriter's alt".

+ Dragon Cave has its own graveyard. Rest in Pieces Peace. https://dragcave.net/graveyard

+ There's a wilderness on Dragon Cave. https://dragcave.net/wilderness

+ Ever wanted to make all your eggs gold? https://dragcave.net/makeallmyeggsgold

+ This egg doesn't actually exist: https://dragcave.net/view/XD

+ This egg doesn't actually exist: https://dragcave.net/view/<3

+ There's a breeding list for offspring of TJ's dragons: https://dragcave.net/thuwed

+ Holiday Dragons of all kinds only breed true during the week of their respective holidays, starting 6 days before the actual holiday and ending with the actual holiday.

+ Seasonal Dragon eggs are reminiscent of the current season (northern hemisphere).

+ Freshly grown Holiday Dragons cannot be bred during the holiday season they grew up in.

+ Some dragons have alternate versions. Not all of them are available in the biomes.

This is also great! I was wondering if a tip on lunar heralds ought to be added too? Like 'the coloration of a lunar Herald egg depends on the moon phases' (or the boring, straight out: 'you can guess the color a lunar Herald egg will be by looking at which lunar Herald can currently be bought in the market) hahahaha. (I wonder if that's cheating 😆) or a tip on how luminae / dark luminae breeding works ?

2 hours ago, ninish said:

I always forget this myself 😧

This is also great! I was wondering if a tip on lunar heralds ought to be added too? Like 'the coloration of a lunar Herald egg depends on the moon phases' (or the boring, straight out: 'you can guess the color a lunar Herald egg will be by looking at which lunar Herald can currently be bought in the market) hahahaha. (I wonder if that's cheating 😆) or a tip on how luminae / dark luminae breeding works ?

Actually, a hint towards lunar herald color and lumina variety is already in that list, although I didn't use the "look at the market" way. There should also be something about Firegems ("The variety of Firegem you get changes every hour."), at the very least.

These are all great ideas and I fully support this. I would also add that the Bite BSA has a chance to kill the egg it's used on, that's something we should definitely spell out.

I agree with this. If there's sufficient demand I could probably make an offsite version of this, to put in forum signatures or whatnot.

It's probably better here, so that it's official. We have all seen how the wiki - excellent though it is - sometimes disagrees with the actual site. It would do well stickied in Help along with the FAQ.

1 hour ago, purpledragonclaw said:

These are all great ideas and I fully support this. I would also add that the Bite BSA has a chance to kill the egg it's used on, that's something we should definitely spell out.

Pleeeeeease yes! In general I think a 'tips' feature would be wonderful, and helpful for everyone not just newbies (the number of times I've forgotten that Glory Drakes depend on time *laid* not hatched.....). But *especially* the Bite thing, that one really really annoys me. Something as huge as the chance of *death* really should be mentioned *somewhere*!

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Actually, a hint towards lunar herald color and lumina variety is already in that list, although I didn't use the "look at the market" way. There should also be something about Firegems ("The variety of Firegem you get changes every hour."), at the very least.

I'm blind, it was right there ( /__-) 

And oh yes the firegems. This game has a lot of breeds with variants XD

+An Undead Dragon's body type depends on the body shape it had when alive (or something like that). 

I'm all for this, though I'd rather them be consolidated onto a single page (maybe put under help) than popping up over ads.

This way, there is always a reference for them and a player won't have to jump around to see a tip if they miss reading it or forget.

+ Sometimes, Vampire Dragons bite an egg because they want to create a baby Vampire. And sometimes, they take a bite out of an egg because they're hungry.

Or maybe...

+ If you present a Vampire Dragon with an egg, it will either turn it into a vampire egg or eat it. There's no way to know which will happen.

@ShorahNagi: Maybe make a tips collection in the encyclopedia, which shows all the tips you've been able to uncover thus far.

Edited by olympe

28 minutes ago, olympe said:

@ShorahNagi: Maybe make a tips collection in the encyclopedia, which shows all the tips you've been able to uncover thus far.

That could work...it would make sense in a way as well as it pertains to the dragons (such day/night glories and hoe they work) as well as the site.

I think not the encyclopaedia. Everything there needs unlocking - and new players don't know they have to do that - and in any case they need those tips as soon as possible.

If offsite - surely the existing wiki is the obvious place to use ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@Fuzzbucket: If you get a new tip with every refresh, you could be set within a day or two of hunting. Just saying. ;) 

I definitely think it should be on-site. I like the idea of little pop-up tips because that makes them fun to read and not a big wall of text like the Help section. It's my own fault, but reading big walls of text, even if they're laid out nicely in bullet points, makes me immediately not want to read them, and I'm sure a lot of people are the same. Little pop up thingies are cute and fun to read, and also make them harder to skip rather than them being buried away in some Help section or Encyclopaedia.

I'll also add that I definitely support this being a toggled feature that you have the option to turn off. I imagine it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

12 hours ago, olympe said:

@Fuzzbucket: If you get a new tip with every refresh, you could be set within a day or two of hunting. Just saying. ;) 

OK - as long as they KNOW that will happen and KNOW to look at the encyclopaedia. So scrolls would need a link to "tips" somewhere.

Not that a lot of new players look at help as it is; I know this, as a mentor....!

My idea was to make it an offsite image-rotator thing as well as just a page, so your signature could contain a convenient quick tip, though also having a full list would be beneficial.

It'd definitely be much better onsite. This'd be complex to do, but it'd be nice to have:

• A help page containing all the tips.
  • One random tip at a time on, say, your scroll page.
  • Some tips coming up the first time you do certain things (like stunning a hatchling).

Support. ^_^ Something like this would be fun and potentially really helpful to new players. One tip I would add:

• The biomes refresh every 5 minutes.

Well, surely there is a better way to format it, but I think this is a pretty important thing to know for egg hunting. One way to do it could be changing the empty biome text to "You expected to see some eggs, but there are none to be found. Perhaps you'll have better luck checking back in x minutes." or something similar, but I'm sure having it as a tip would already help.

I support this wholly. I also agree that it should not be in the encyclopedia section because not everyone looks there.

We could make another tip:

+ There's an encyclopedia hidden somewhere on the site.

+ If you click on "Account", you can find the encyclopedia.

+ There's a section in the Encyclopedia that has all the tips. (Or something like that.)

+ The DC encyclopedia contains all the stuff worth knowing about DC.