angelicdragonpuppy

Remove time from frequently abandoned eggs

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

6 hours - even 12 hour - isn't that long. Go read a book while you wait ? I don't often disagree with you, ADP - but I really can't see this one helping anything.

Oh trust me, I have ways to kill time. I just think the POTENTIAL for walls to become more and more agonizing is concerning. People are worried about 100+ people working together to drop the time on one egg to death? What if those 100+ people all conspired to drop a wall of the same breed instead and take over the AP for four days? I'd like to see wallbreaking solutions before we get to that point.

Plus, there are those who work weird hours or long shifts and just don't have the freedom to check back on DC when the AP is cleared. Yes, I know nothing in the AP is "owed" to us, but generally it's one of the most fun places to be on the site and seeing it clogged for 6+ hours with same-type lineages of one breed from one breeder is a real buzzkill.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Ten bucks this wouldn't be an argument at all if it was a wall of gorgeous lined things for 6-12 hours. :) But who seriously has enough of those to reliably wall for that long? And would actually put in the time to do it?

As much as I sympathize with everyone who works weird shifts and long hours and stuff--because I do that too--you could make the "it's not fair to them" argument for EVERYONE. It's not fair that all the fast people get all the rares. It's not fair that the popular guys get all the awesome things because "connections". It's not fair that all platinum players have double the slots of normal players, especially during holidays. It's not fair that older players have all the original release dergs while newbs only have re-releases. It's not fair that the spriters get amazing alts that they can get everything and then some for in trades. The list could go on but...I don't wanna create too much conflict in my head. :/

There's...NOTHING we can do about it. That's on TJ. And most of it doesn't really matter in the end because...it's a game. That you really do nothing in except collect, hatch, and breed every few days.

If somebody or some group seriously wants to try walling the AP for 4 days with something...that'd be interesting to watch. Then TJ may fix something. Maybe? Depends on how damaging it may be. The longest wall I've seen is the Spotted Greenwing wall during a new release (forget which one, maybe Siyat?) at about 20+ hours. Besides the holiday walls--exceptions, of course--I've never seen or heard of a wall lasting more than a day. If someone seriously can wall the AP for four days...kudos to them for hoarding that much breeding fodder because that must've taken forever, even between multiple breeders.

8 hours ago, cyradis4 said:

But the best way to see how the ratios are affected by mass breeding? Bribe @Firefury Amahira to breed once a month for the next 12 months, and see if percent of eggs produced per month changes from the start (January) to the end (December). That of course would mean that 12,000 Blacktips would be added to the ratios. I think you'd find that after about 2 or 3 months, the number of eggs produced will be noticeably down.

You are either evil or a genius. 😱 Tempting though it is just to get the data, really not sure I'm that keen to inflict that much salty love on everybody else (...plus again, that's like 8ish hours total of work to do every time!... and that number is only going to go up the bigger my army gets!) I do keep very thorough massbreeding stats though, so as time goes on we'll be able to compare older massbreeds to newer ones. Thinking I'll add columns to my spreadsheets to start tallying how many attempts actually result in blacktip eggs specifically, since that's the number that will most noticeably drop over time if the ratio shifts.

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Oh trust me, I have ways to kill time. I just think the POTENTIAL for walls to become more and more agonizing is concerning.

I think this is where this suggestion fall down. How much do walls *really* affect things NOW? Maaaaybe one or two walls in a month last more then 6 hours. I really just don't think this suggestion is needed, because walls aren't really that huge of an issue now. Do they have the *potential* to become something really catastrophic? Sure. But implementing features based on something that *might* happen in the *future* is never a good idea imo. 

I hunt the AP probably 90% of my hunting-time. I'm literally hunting the AP for 5+ hours most days. I very, very rarely see a wall that lasts more then a few hours. I think the Blacktip wall was the first time I've seen a wall last over 12 hours in probably a year. (Not saying it hasn't happened, but it must be super-rare if I'm not seeing it!) As someone who's playstyle relies heavily on the AP, I can honestly say I don't see 'walls' as a huge problem right now. 

edit: If anything like this were to happen, though, there would *have* to be a cap of 3 days. Not 1 day. Eggs become a *lot* less desirable when you can't Influence them, as seen during longer holiday walls. There would need to be a cap that, no matter how many times an egg is abandoned, this 'take time off' mechanism can't cause it to go below 3 days.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Could someone explain the purpose of spamming the AP with walls of the same egg to me? I've never understood why anyone would want to do it for any reason besides being annoying.

Because they like breeding, because the AP is high-timed and sending tons of eggs will bring the time down a bit, because they want to share pretty lineages with people, because they want to see how many eggs they can get.... Lots of different reasons.

Was just looking over my breeding stats and I noticed something else interesting, though I don't yet have enough data points to make a more solid verification.

Basically, it seems like the volume of eggs necessary for a wall rises considerably for each additional hour of wall. I did a massbreed last May that sent 196 blacktips and 35 celestials to the AP, resulting in a wall that lasted 5.5 hours. Based on that, you'd think "approx 200 blacktips per 5.5 hours of wall", which was not proven to be the case by the December massbreed. If 200 eggs = 5.5 hours of wall, then the December massbreed would have clogged the AP for over 24 hours instead of the 12.5 that it actually did. This implies that a longer wall is more difficult to achieve than a shorter wall even before factoring in the time and effort necessary to produce that volume of eggs. If the trend is accurate, successfully blocking the AP for a full 24 hours would probably require a massbreed sending thousands of eggs to the AP all at once, probably more than 5000 eggs; a herculean task for any single player, and likely incredibly difficult even for a coordinated group to accomplish.

56 minutes ago, Firefury Amahira said:

Was just looking over my breeding stats and I noticed something else interesting, though I don't yet have enough data points to make a more solid verification.

Basically, it seems like the volume of eggs necessary for a wall rises considerably for each additional hour of wall. I did a massbreed last May that sent 196 blacktips and 35 celestials to the AP, resulting in a wall that lasted 5.5 hours. Based on that, you'd think "approx 200 blacktips per 5.5 hours of wall", which was not proven to be the case by the December massbreed. If 200 eggs = 5.5 hours of wall, then the December massbreed would have clogged the AP for over 24 hours instead of the 12.5 that it actually did. This implies that a longer wall is more difficult to achieve than a shorter wall even before factoring in the time and effort necessary to produce that volume of eggs. If the trend is accurate, successfully blocking the AP for a full 24 hours would probably require a massbreed sending thousands of eggs to the AP all at once, probably more than 5000 eggs; a herculean task for any single player, and likely incredibly difficult even for a coordinated group to accomplish.

Its because of the time loss and player efforts to clear the wall. An egg bred at the start of the wall is going to be the least desirable because it has the highest time. I haven't seen the AP over 6 days in a very long time, I don't remember the last time it was over 5d 12h. So a wall that lasts 12 hrs (if the AP started at 5d 12h) has incu-hatchable (and so pretty easily cleared) eggs at the end of it. 

The other factor is the players. Most players won't put much effort into clearing a wall the first hour or two or even 3. By the 4th or 5th hour, you are seeing organized large scale efforts among many players to clear those eggs, which greatly speeds up the time to clear the wall. 

Lastly, how fast a wall clears is going to depend on just what else is going on at that time. At this point, just after the Holiday craze? I'm guessing there's a lot of empty scrolls, as people wait on Valentines. But if you mass bred around or after May 21st, when the birthday release was..... Few would have had scroll space or spent any mind on the AP due to the 4 dragon release. So, the wall would take lots longer to clear. 

As for evil or genius, why does it have to be one or the other? Evil genius works for me! XD

Cheers!
C4. 

A CB Holiday wall is the only kind of wall I would want, honestly; I always try to toss at least one or two CBs for the sake of people who missed the initial release, because I have been that person and it's a lifesaver! 

I get very disgruntled at one-breed walls (variety!  please!  If you must wall us, at least give us choices!) but I don't think dropping the egg times repeatedly would really help; it would just let nice lineages in the wall drop below influence time because they were overlooked in the masses, and then they'd be thrown back again.