angelicdragonpuppy

Remove time from frequently abandoned eggs

In light of the fact that the AP has been filled with Blacktips from a single breeder for EIGHT HOURS, I'd like to suggest that eggs abandoned 10+ times ARE IMMEdiATELY OBliTERATED lose an hour of time for each extra time they're abandoned by a unique user beyond the first time.

Ex: Jimmy Bob the messy Blacktip egg hits the AP at 4d5h. Six people look upon Jimmy Bob's inbred and tangled family tree* and set him back down before running away screaming. Jimmy Bob's timer now sits at 3d23h and Marie19 an avid messy hoarder cheerfully picks him up and runs off, making room for new eggs which are also messy blacktips but hey nothing is perfect

The hope being that, while losing time won't convince everyone to pick up every egg, hopefully enough time lost makes enough of a difference that someone will clear the egg out sooner, helping to move the AP along faster.

And if Jimmy Bob the messy Blacktip egg is abandoned 101 times and time runs out? OBLITERATIONNN or I guess cap time lost at nothing below 1d left.

*Nothing against Jimmy Bob and his family. They're delightful folks, even if most have a few extra toes. But hey, sometimes there's only so much room on your scroll, y'know?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

As solid of an idea as this may sound...I see no way that this couldn't be mega-abused by groups of people. All it takes is a small chat group of, say, ten to do just that.

Sorry, but no. As annoying as the long walls can be...I'll take them over people attempting to nuke the AP at every turn they can. Were you here for that 20 hour greenwing wall a while back, during one of the new releases? This is nothing compared to that. Nothing. lol

And besides, at the end, low-time AP for everyone. Just gotta be patient. Grumbling, but patient.

Edited by animatedrose

I have to admit that post totally had me laughing! 

I'm with animatedrose re concern about abuse. I can very easily see people gathering to do exactly that, 'obliterate' the entire wall by re-abandoning over and over and over. That could easily lead to dozens or even hundreds of dead eggs, if there is no cap on the time that can be taken off. If there is a cap.... I still don't really see this fixing much. The AP is currently incu-hatchable. Okay, so maybe some wouldn't want to use their Incubates on something they don't *really* want, but are they *really* going to be that much more likely to take an egg they don't want just because it's lower timed? I know some people do, but will it really be enough to make a big difference? 

No support, frankly. Eventually the eggs will be picked up regardless, there's no reason to add more incentive to grabbing blockers.

I'm not so sure about this idea yet, but I would suggest capping the effect at 3 days and 6 hours left. Pretty eggs with planned lineages might be picked up and abandoned many times just because scroll space is limited and people are hunting for other things, and they should not become un-influenceable.

(This is especially important during holidays when eggs become lower and lower in time anyway, and I know I've been re-abandoning tons of pretty eggs when I only had one or two slots left and was hoping to catch someting ultra-special instead.)

I think it would be nice to make a breeding cap-say you breed and dump 50 eggs, you have to then wait 5 hours before doing it again...

Its not fair for one person or a breeding group of them to do this to all the rest of us...

Walls are good for lowering AP times. Unless you like picking up high-time eggs from the AP all the time. Granted, having a 10-20 hour wall is annoying...but so are many other things in DC.

For example, why is it fair that only a tiny group of players can consistently scoop up CB Golds to monopolize that trading market? Why can some people win multiple CB prizes from the on-site raffle while others have won nothing consistently? Why is it that Halloween has the highest rate of success for zombies yet the actual success of such things is still abysmally low, even on that day? So on and so forth.

DC isn't being ruined by army-breeding. It's usually gone in less than a day. You can do other things. Breed your current dragons, biome hunt, trade some things, get off DC for a day of IRL fun rather than staring at a computer/tablet/phone screen for hours on end at pixelated eggs. The world isn't ending because somebody bred 700-something Blacktips to the AP. Is it annoying? Yes. Life ruining? No. You'll live.

47 minutes ago, pixiezbite said:

I think it would be nice to make a breeding cap-say you breed and dump 50 eggs, you have to then wait 5 hours before doing it again...

Oh gosh, please no. Some breedings are so difficult you just need lots of tries to get what you actually need - and limiting it in time would make it even more annoying (not only it would take ages to get what you need, but you actually have to wait hours between breedings).

No support for the time reduction either. Walls can last for a long time - it's true - and it can get annoying if you planned to hunt the AP. But there is still so much you can do: breedings, trades, cave hunting. Just move your interest elsewhere if what's in the AP is not something you like. I dislike messy lineages as well - but I just avoid them and grab a fluffy and shiny CB khusa from the cave if I can't find any better in the AP :P

No wall lasts forever - not even the holiday one ~

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I have to admit that post totally had me laughing! 

I'm with animatedrose re concern about abuse. I can very easily see people gathering to do exactly that, 'obliterate' the entire wall by re-abandoning over and over and over. That could easily lead to dozens or even hundreds of dead eggs, if there is no cap on the time that can be taken off. If there is a cap.... I still don't really see this fixing much. The AP is currently incu-hatchable. Okay, so maybe some wouldn't want to use their Incubates on something they don't *really* want, but are they *really* going to be that much more likely to take an egg they don't want just because it's lower timed? I know some people do, but will it really be enough to make a big difference? 

Quite. There was a post here from someone yesterday who would like to co-ordinate a holiday blocking wall. That kind of abuse can't be allowed - let alone effectively encouraged - to happen.

8 hours ago, pixiezbite said:

Its not fair for one person or a breeding group of them to do this to all the rest of us...

Oh no no no no please no. While walls that last a long time are sometimes annoying, a lot of people mass-breed *good* stuff to the AP! We don't want to punish people who want to breed all their shinies to the AP, or all their pretty holiday lineages, or whatever. There is no reason to punish everyone for the inconvenience that a few people cause. (A better suggestion related to that would be to simply limit how many eggs from one user can be *shown* in the AP at a time... No limit on breeding, but the AP wouldn't get filled with one-person walls.)

7 hours ago, MaeTM said:

No support for the time reduction either. Walls can last for a long time - it's true - and it can get annoying if you planned to hunt the AP. But there is still so much you can do: breedings, trades, cave hunting. Just move your interest elsewhere if what's in the AP is not something you like. I dislike messy lineages as well - but I just avoid them and grab a fluffy and shiny CB khusa from the cave if I can't find any better in the AP :P

No wall lasts forever - not even the holiday one ~

This is true, even for me. The only CBs I hunt are unbreedables and trade-fodder, so being blocked from AP-hunting because of one breed that I really don't need any more of is really frustrating... But I managed to catch a Dino while the Blacktip wall was up, so even I came out on top there! 

If walls constantly lasted a ridiculous amount of time, say, over a day, then I'd agree something needs to change. But that rarely happens, if it happens at all, so I don't see any issues with walls.

Edited by KrazyKarp

Also, another thought added: many of those walls are only possible because of Celestials and their multiclutches... and those are already limited to one breeding a month. It's not like there is a wall every day or even week.

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Quite. There was a post here from someone yesterday who would like to co-ordinate a holiday blocking wall. That kind of abuse can't be allowed - let alone effectively encouraged - to happen.

Can you elaborate? What is a "holiday blocking wall," and what is the concern?

18 minutes ago, osmarks said:

@Fuzzbucket Walls are not abuse. They are a natural consequence of the AP system.

They are fine. I have NO problem with walls at all - which was why I didn't support this suggestion anyway. But what was proposed yesterday was NOT fine. The idea was to try and bully TJ into changing CB holiday limits by deliberately making a wall of CB holidays that most people wouldn't be able to pick up because they were at the limit. I don't know in what universe you would say that was a natural consequence of anything.

56 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They are fine. I have NO problem with walls at all - which was why I didn't support this suggestion anyway. But what was proposed yesterday was NOT fine. The idea was to try and bully TJ into changing CB holiday limits by deliberately making a wall of CB holidays that most people wouldn't be able to pick up because they were at the limit. I don't know in what universe you would say that was a natural consequence of anything.

Well, that sounds like a natural consequence of

• walls existing
  • there being dragons which cannot easily be picked up by many people

Trying to organise what would have to be a LOT of users who were prepared to pick up CBs and drop them, with the primary aim of wrecking the AP, just to try and force TJ's hand (which it wouldn't do, I'm sure) is NOT a natural consequence; it's organised sabotage. Bullying is not the way to negotiate for change,.

This has kind of run a bit off-topic, but I don't think that plan would do anything anyway.

Anyway, on-topic, I support this as a way to make the AP move faster.

Personally, I think it's too prone to abuse - and could lead to people organize in order to try and cheat the system. Unless you can think of a way to prevent that?

I do not support this idea. I think it is wide open to abuse. I also don't feel it is necessary. Walls don't generally last more than a few hours. They can be frustrating, but they are temporary. 

In addition to that, I agree with @Confused Cat that it is not hard to imagine pretty eggs with nice lineages suffering from this and falling below the point of being influenced, therefore spoiling the chance of continuing the lineage. I often pick up and reabandon multiple eggs in search of very specific things. Many of them are lovely checkers or even CBs, but they are just not what I am looking for at the moment. If I only have one egg spot open at the time I am going to be pretty selective about what I fill it with. But I would hate to think that by abandoning something I was contributing to spoiling it for someone else!

Zero support on this.

Someone higher said that while the AP is walled, you can spend time IRL which is exactly what I did during the Blacktip wall. I spent good time with my family, helping them clean the house and such instead of staring at my scroll hours upon hours on end, wondering when will all these Blacktip eggs go away. And the whole 'abuse' part is clear. So if you need to lower the time on AP eggs, why a whole hour? Why not, say, a couple minutes instead?

I was on the fence on this for a bit (mainly, thinking that particularly undesired eggs in the normal no-wall AP will get grabbed more at low time - you do see it happen when someone abandons a lower-time egg.)

On the other hand, as others have said, this is far too abusable.

I'd be *ok* with it as long as the time-reduction cap was 4d. Instahatchie, but influenceable/tradable/etc.

And it doesn't apply during Holidays.

I think that, if this is put into place, Zeditha's limits on it would be the best way to prevent abuse.

I'm ambivalent on the core idea, though.

I'm against this. I love walls, even of species I don't collect. I enjoy seeing what people breed, and grabbing/releasing eggs as I move through it, hoping to find an egg or two to suit my fancy.