blackdragon71

ANSWERED:Mass Un-Name and Release

These topics may already have threads, and if so, then I apologize for the duplication.   I did not see a way to search, with the way the forums have changed since last I was really active.  

On to what I wanted to say:

Aside from the old-fashioned way of not logging in for two months (or whatever the timeframe was), is there way by which dragons can be un-named en masse?  I have many that have naming schemes, but I would like to do something entirely different, and with over 3000 dragons to un-name and then re-name, it's a lot of work.  Just being able to do the un-name at one go would help lessen the task. 

The same goes for releasing a good portion of dragons at one time, rather than one-by-one-by-one.  I don't know how hard it would be to code that, but it would be a godsend for people who don't have tons of time, or have other problems doing it the current way. 

I know there have been suggestions for mass-unnaming, but I can't find anything recent. I would *loooove* a feature like that. Personally I'd use it for zombie-fodder, since I've gone through my scroll and now have hundreds of zombie-fodder dragons that need unnaming before killing, I've been doing it one at a time as I use them but that's so annoying. But yeah I can also see it being useful for things like changing naming schemes and such. Definite support!

Not as sure about mass-releasing. Over time on this forum I've seen a *lot* of people posting about weird scroll activity, dragons missing or killed, etc, and it turns out someone else got into their scroll (usually a sibling or somesuch). I would hate to make it so much easier for someone to do mass damage to a vulnerable scroll. 

It’s because of the worry of someone else getting into an account, unwittingly or maliciously, that I’m against any sort of mass unname or release option. I guess unname would be ok if it had a way to revert back several stages provided the names were still there. But mass release, nooo.

I'm similarly concerned about abuse, or even just about regrets. That said, I could see this being made to work anyway - I picture an option where you can mass un-name or mass release things, but there are (e.g.) two days between the action and it actually happening, and in that time there's a banner at the top of the scroll letting you know what's being done (and when) and you can still cancel the action in that time. That should prevent abuse and regret issues, while still making it possible for people to do this.

3 hours ago, blackdragon71 said:

Aside from the old-fashioned way of not logging in for two months

Incidentally this is no longer true. Dragons will stay named no matter how long a player has been inactive so they're basically permanent unless changed.

Anyway, support. I have a lot of dragons with placeholder names and I'd love to clean em up quickly so I can use the naming filter for them too.

Edited by Shadowdrake

It really is a shame that hacking (term used loosely) is a reason to stop certain things being implemented. I'd love to unname all my dragons because I really need to get around to giving them a themed name scheme, but the idea of having to go through and do it one by one is so daunting. I'd like a mass unname feature.

I like @pinkgothics suggestion, and think that similarly, there could be an "Undo" feature on this, possibly?

You can mass-release dragons, but for maybe 48 hours in the action log there could be a way to undo it if you regret your decision or if somebody else did it when you weren't around. Since I don't think anything actually happens when dragons are released aside from being in the wilderness page, I don't see there being any major setbacks for this: that for 48 hours they are in a retrievable limbo before being sent into the wilderness? (This could be explained as the dragons walking away from your habitat but are still within hearing distance and can be called back :P)

As for unnaming, maybe for 48 hours the names are not immediately up for grabs to other users, and you can still reset it so that the dragons get their names back?

I'm unsure if this would be possible but I still really like the idea of mass release and unname, and would hate for them to be ruled out just because nasty people might try to play tricks. I'm glad I can trust my siblings lol.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

19 hours ago, blackdragon71 said:

Aside from the old-fashioned way of not logging in for two months (or whatever the timeframe was), is there way by which dragons can be un-named en masse?  I have many that have naming schemes, but I would like to do something entirely different, and with over 3000 dragons to un-name and then re-name, it's a lot of work.  Just being able to do the un-name at one go would help lessen the task. 

Since you want to rename your dragons anyway, why do you want to unname them first? Just put in the new name, and you're set... 

Personally, I'm against both mass-unname and mass-release (as well as mass-kill, just in case). Because there's too much potential for abuse if you get hacked - or your evil younger sibling decided to "prank" you. While a mass-unname might seem to cause very little damage, think of having to rename literally several thousand dragons...

Just now, olympe said:

Since you want to rename your dragons anyway, why do you want to unname them first? Just put in the new name, and you're set... 

Personally, I'm against both mass-unname and mass-release (as well as mass-kill, just in case). Because there's too much potential for abuse if you get hacked - or your evil younger sibling decided to "prank" you. While a mass-unname might seem to cause very little damage, think of having to rename literally several thousand dragons...

I understand the worry some have about being hacked or having siblings/room mates that might have access to a scroll.  Not everyone here lives with other people who use a communal computer, though.  I am the only person in a house of two adults that knows how to use a computer, and I don't play games on my work computers (not that anyone else can get into my work computer, but it's the fact I don't get paid to mess around).  I do not have that sort of hacking issue, nor have I had any hacking issues since I started playing nine years ago.    I'm not the only one in my particular position, either.   

Mass un-naming would be a time-saver, as mass releasing would be.  It's about use of limited play-time.  While I only have about 3500 dragons (even after nine years), others have many, many more, and it might be a time-saver for them, all the hacking worry aside.  But for someone like me, with just a small amount of time to be on DC and certain projects that I'd like to get accomplished, it could mean more time for something else I'd like to do.  

By that token, a way to mass RE-name all my dragons at one time would be awesome, but with TJ's rule about only one person being able to name their dragon "Bob", well...  :P

It might be a time-saver, but guess how soon our lovely viewbombers decide it's much more fun to try and hack other people's scrolls to mass-release all dragons than just kill what they have growing. Still, thanks but no thanks.

39 minutes ago, olympe said:

Also this. You're going to have to manually type in new names anyway. Get two birds with one stone by just slapping them over the old ones. A mass unname really isn't reducing how much work you do. If you're just having trouble remembering who needs to be renamed still, throw everything into groups of, say, 50 and then delete them once all the dragons in that group are done.

Anyone have any thoughts about my suggestion for a solution to the hacking issue??

9 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

There could be an "Undo" feature on this, possibly?

You can mass-release dragons, but for maybe 48 hours in the action log there could be a way to undo it if you regret your decision or if somebody else did it when you weren't around. Since I don't think anything actually happens when dragons are released aside from being in the wilderness page, I don't see there being any major setbacks for this: that for 48 hours they are in a retrievable limbo before being sent into the wilderness? (This could be explained as the dragons walking away from your habitat but are still within hearing distance and can be called back :P)

I'd be fine with an undo, as long as there is a very obvious way to see it. Just having something in the action log won't cut it, who really checks the action log all the time? (What I mean is, for those of us who have 10+ pages of dragons it may not be immediately apparent that a mass-release has been done. If we have a mass-release option, the 'undo' would have to be big and bold enough that we *know* it happened so we *can* undo it... Perhaps a notice similar to the sickness one on our scroll.)

5 hours ago, olympe said:

It might be a time-saver, but guess how soon our lovely viewbombers decide it's much more fun to try and hack other people's scrolls to mass-release all dragons than just kill what they have growing. Still, thanks but no thanks.

No offense, but if a viewbomber wanted to go so far as hacking your info to destroy your dragons it'd be very, very easy to simply change your password and email to prevent you from accessing your scroll ever again without this suggestion. Arguing that this shouldn't be implemented because of abuse by theoretical anonymous hacker trolls is paranoia. An in-between period where it can be undone to prevent regrets from terrible friends or unfortunate impulses is reasonable enough.

9 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

An in-between period where it can be undone to prevent regrets from terrible friends or unfortunate impulses is reasonable enough.

And would force TJ to keep records of all things mass-released/unnamed/killed/whatever just so people could undo them. I'm not sure how feasible this idea is.

I'm pretty sure TJ wouldn't be up for undoing stuff for you, whatever the log showed. It tends to show it was done from the player's own IP anyway... and I see no reason he should undo it for "regrets" - he hasn't seen fit to for CB frozen hatchies, after all. This thread suggests a 48 hour cooldown anyway - that's enough to cover ANY regrets.

52 minutes ago, olympe said:

And would force TJ to keep records of all things mass-released/unnamed/killed/whatever just so people could undo them. I'm not sure how feasible this idea is.

Only for 48 hours, after which it would be irreversible. That’s what I suggested anyway. I don’t think that’s too long at all - the dragons are put on a 48 hour timer (which we know already exist in the site because of eggs and hatchies) and once that time is up, they are fully released and irretrievable. I don’t think that’s too far-fetched.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

2 hours ago, olympe said:

He already keeps a month's worth of info in logs and another week's worth of trade info in both trade history and notifications. 2 days worth of names that the game already keeps track of or codes set to be permanently released is nothing in comparison.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm pretty sure TJ wouldn't be up for undoing stuff for you, whatever the log showed.

Well, I suppose it's better to have the option suggested with pros and cons so tj can decide on his own. He did make names eventually changeable after all.

33 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Well, I suppose it's better to have the option suggested with pros and cons so tj can decide on his own. He did make names eventually changeable after all.

He did do that, as well as a lot of other things. And whenever someone asks where their dragons have gone (MIA) and he checks their action log to see that these dragons were either killed or released from their own home, he doesn't do anything but close the thread. (At least as far as I know.) I doubt this would be any different with a mass abandon feature.

I'm... pretty sure the suggestion is giving responsibility to the own user for undoing said actions with a button, not giving TJ another thing to fuss about.

I'm pretty sure this would happen without an undo button, to be quite frank. Because DC is too straight-forward to hold everyone's collective hands like that.

3 hours ago, olympe said:

He did do that, as well as a lot of other things. And whenever someone asks where their dragons have gone (MIA) and he checks their action log to see that these dragons were either killed or released from their own home, he doesn't do anything but close the thread. (At least as far as I know.) I doubt this would be any different with a mass abandon feature.

Well - if the log shows that - why should he undo it ? Why not lock the thread - there's no more to be said.  How can he know it isn't just regret kicking in. We ARE responsible for our own stuff.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

I'm pretty sure this would happen without an undo button, to be quite frank. Because DC is too straight-forward to hold everyone's collective hands like that.

Right on. We need to hold our own hands :lol:

Edited by Fuzzbucket

21 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Right on. We need to hold our own hands :lol:

That's why we've got two of those...

I don't really want a mass unname or release option.  But I'd be open to an unname/release action that worked like group selection, where you have the window and can select dragons to apply it to by clicking them in the sub-list box.