Floralpikmin99

New Biomes

Savannah and tundra biomes would be nice.

Some additions to my suggestion, sky habitat could also synonymous with space as we have a lot of space themed dragons. Sky habitat could include these dragons.

Balloon

Celestial

Day and night glory drakes

Daydream

Electric

Lunar heralds

Moon and sunstones

Nebula

Nhiostrife

Ridgewings

Skywing

Storm

Sunset and sunrise

Sunsong amphiptere

Blusang

Thunder

That's 17 dragons that would all fit exclusively (Not saying they should be but they can be) in a sky habitat.

How do you find an egg in midair?

ETA: personally I'd love a cave biome that features the types of dragons that lurk in the deep dark. Since Valkemare had such elaborate cave systems, you could also give every other egg in the other biomes a small chance to appear there, although true cave biome types would predominate. Bonus: no affinity to other biomes, so coppers / Xenos can breed true no matter the breed?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'd love a cave biome. So far the tundra/air biomes just feel like a reworking of Alpine to me, but a wide open Grasslands biome would be super awesome.

I think a biome high above the mountain tops with eggs sitting on clouds for some dragons species would be cool. Maybe it could have a chance of the egg dropping into another biome or dieing after being selected by a user?

How do you find an egg in midair?

ETA: personally I'd love a cave biome that features the types of dragons that lurk in the deep dark. Since Valkemare had such elaborate cave systems, you could also give every other egg in the other biomes a small chance to appear there, although true cave biome types would predominate. Bonus: no affinity to other biomes, so coppers / Xenos can breed true no matter the breed?

Airship. Who says we don't have one? Or they could be floating islands instead of just pure sky and clouds, so far up it counts as sky but there's land to walk on.

Airship. Who says we don't have one? Or they could be floating islands instead of just pure sky and clouds, so far up it counts as sky but there's land to walk on.

Actually, the Bossman says so.

From Description Guidelines

This site takes place in a medieval setting. Therefore, it wouldn’t make sense to describe your dragon as enjoying flying alongside airplanes. If in doubt, avoid all era-specific references, as well as references to the “real world.”.

Tundra is different from Alpine because Tundra would be a cold area that isn't necessarily mountainous, while Alpine is a mountainous area that isn't necessarily cold. I imagine Ices, Frostbites, Winters, and some coastal and alpine breeds that are put there because of a lack of other cold areas would be moved there.

But yeah, Grassland/Savannah, followed by Tundra, followed by Subterranean, would be the ones I'd want in order of descending preference. I'd imagine a grasslands biome would have Horse dragons moved there and out of the Jungle biome, which would be nice.

Edited by TheCompleteAnimorph

I like grassland/savanna. I think that one is different enough from all that we already have that it would be interesting.

What type of dragons would fit in there though?

I was pretty sure we had a thread like this before, but couldn't find the one I had in mind - found this one instead.

@topic: Sure, why not? I think the biomes might move even less then, but since the eggs get shuffled every 5 minutes anyway, it should be fine.

I would like to see a cave biome. It would make sense with the lore and would allow for some interesting dragon concepts.

Are you thinking Subterranean and "dragons that lurk in the deep dark"? I'm trying to find common traits from different posts.

Personally I would like grasslands/savannah and swamp/freshwater. Coast brings to mind salt-water, I would like a distinction between fresh and saltwater biomes. Most of the time they have been being tossed into forest.

What type of dragons would fit in there though?

There are several, but off the top of my head are turpentines and horses.

Edited by Nectaris

Personally I would like grasslands/savannah and swamp/freshwater.  Coast brings to mind salt-water, I would like a distinction between fresh and saltwater biomes.  Most of the time they have been being tossed into forest.

There are several, but off the top of my head are turpentines and horses.

Agreed.

Considering real life accepted habitats, we are missing:

- Freshwater - Ponds and lakes, streams and rivers, wetlands.

- Grassland - Tropical (savannas) and Temperate

- Arctic Tundra

And considering DC, we are missing

- Subterranean: cave and "dragons that lurk in the deep dark"?

Remember that, even though we are in medieval times, DC is also a magical land, so a sky "biome" is not necessarilly too farfetched; also, we have a bunch of dragons that fly (so they can serve as transport), and there are certain eggs that do float (daydream, balloon), so, is not entirely impossible. And the clouds doesnt necessarilly have to be intangible (to say in some way), they can be of a "harder" and magical material that permits them to float and carry physical heavy objects.

Sky biome would make sense as an unlockable biome, not one that is open to newbies, though. Sure, experienced dragon tamers can ride one of their adults to the sky biome, but what's a new dragon tamer going to ride? It just doesn't make sense for a new scroll to be able to pick up their first eggs from the sky biome...

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Actually, the Bossman says so.

From Description Guidelines

I was thinking more like a steam punk airship. But there are plenty of ways to get into the sky, an obvious one being flying on a dragon. And like I said they could be floating islands where the eggs would rest. Personally I think the sky biome makes the most sense when looking at already released dragons and what biome they'd fit into.

Does no one remember Avatar? Sky biome is easy.. the sky islands FLOAT due to a special mineral. Who's to say Valdemarr can't have that same mineral? And there's nothing TECH about it.. the Na'vi were primatives, they climbed vines to get to the sky islands.

Sooooo...

Sky Islands

Great Plains/Grasslands/Savannah

Fresh Water

Subteraenean

Arctic

Maybe even consider a Toxic biome.. a place for the 'really weird' ideas.. magic gone wrong type thingies.. and other such strangeness.

Toxic is kind of interesting, we have lots of juiced up on mana dragons. I can't think of that many dragons that could be exclusive to savannah but not desert or forest. We don't have enough water dragons to have fresh vs sea water. An arctic is already taken care of in the alpine, there are differences but not really enough.

Does no one remember Avatar? Sky biome is easy.. the sky islands FLOAT due to a special mineral. Who's to say Valdemarr can't have that same mineral? And there's nothing TECH about it.. the Na'vi were primatives, they climbed vines to get to the sky islands.

Sooooo...

Sky Islands

Great Plains/Grasslands/Savannah

Fresh Water

Subteraenean

Arctic

Maybe even consider a Toxic biome.. a place for the 'really weird' ideas.. magic gone wrong type thingies.. and other such strangeness.

I'm updating the OP to add all that smile.gif

I really like Toxic. I also like Grasslands and Swamp/Freshwater. Some of the biomes have become very crowded, so it might be nice to see them distributed a little differently.

ETA: Word fail

Edited by Eos

Tundra Certainly. Savannah/Grasslands too. I'd also kinda like to have a Freshwater type area. Something along the lines of Marshlands/Swamp/Riverlands/Floodplain, or it would be ok if it was just made a general lake/river. Jungle isn't a great answer by itself for freshwater. Although Grasslands would certainly have that. And I'd also be ok with a Prairie/Floodplain combo. Where some parts are just normal with rivers and lakes, and others get flooded.

I would certainly love to see some biomes based on certain mana types too. So I agree with the Toxic, Although normally I see to places refer to them usually as "The Wastelands". But a place of death and/or mutant mana mix craziness sounds fantastic.

Want subterranean. We need some deep under the earth crust stuff. Too many dragons tunnel or want caves and below. And I'm ok with going even deeper if someone wants. And this allows more magma activity than just the volcano.

In addition to an area that is more sky/air, I am also wanting something that is also more ... like a mountain but not. I want to have a place where dragons that want to dwell high can dwell while still having land masses. So in addition to the idea of floating islands, I was thinking of something along the lines of "The Spires" with large spire type land masses. Not as thick as mountains, but able to have some travel airwards, and much higher.

Also, since Islands are usually formed from sea level volcanic activity that builds land masses upwards thru the oceans finally having larger masses at or above sea level becoming islands. I was thinking... what if this area was once a great ocean with many islands, but the water went away for some reason? Then you would have great spires with islands on top, but nothing but air between the lower regions and the upper regions. This is another way you could have Spires and Sky Islands for very logical reasons. And if flying or climbing "up" them seems like a strange option, we could always add in backwards flowing rivers that flow to upwards flowing waterfalls to the upper tiers. Just go for a lazy float and like the waters drift you up and away! Just call it the Calgon River.

I also think some very remote uncommon areas where mana concentration is very high might be interesting. I don't know if I would call them "Realms", but I think it would be interesting to have a biome or area that most of it is made of fire. Plants that are always aflame. Fields of Fire. And otherwise just barren burnt earth. That would be different from a Death/Dark/Mixed Mana Chaos area, or maybe they could all exist as different areas within that Chaotic area. And a Time mana place would be great. I wouldn't know what to call it, or even what would go on there, but I think it would be very interesting. So Maybe a place strong in Magi where various subsections are high in concentrated elements/mana.

My only final thought is there should be some place where people better affiliated with the study of magic have built their places of study. I'm not talking about building a wizard school, but there has to be some place in these lands where magic is a little more interesting and thus, those who have an interest in it congregate or visit in their time. Or a place that is only reached by being hurled thru by your teleporting dragon buddies.

That is about it for things to add that I could possibly think of right now.

I'm not suuuuper into the idea of a new biome. I'm pretty content with what we already have. I'm going to keep an eye on the thread, though, because you guys are putting out some really fascinating ideas.

I also think some very remote uncommon areas where mana concentration is very high might be interesting. I don't know if I would call them "Realms", but I think it would be interesting to have a biome or area that most of it is made of fire. Plants that are always aflame. Fields of Fire. And otherwise just barren burnt earth. That would be different from a Death/Dark/Mixed Mana Chaos area, or maybe they could all exist as different areas within that Chaotic area.

If we end up doing this, my vote is for a chaotic biome where you find a little of everything, but on steroids. Fire fields (fire mana). Toxic swamp of some sort (water/death/dark mana). Areas that feel wrong to step through, that make the hair on the back of your neck rise (dark/death mana). Areas of brilliant light, rainbows, etc. (light/life mana). Residents could be anything super mana-heavy, perhaps the breeds most representative of their elements.

I don't think there are enough dragons to split a chaos biome into multiple separate biomes, hence the vote for keeping it as one big thing. Chaos works better when you mix things that shouldn't be mixed anyway.

The problem I see with this biome is lack of definition. What would put, say, a Desipis here rather than in a "deep dark underground" biome (yes, I know, Desipis can't be found in the cave. But they make a good breed for this argument)? Why shouldn't Xenos as a group go here, given that their very form is attuned to specific types of mana, rather than being split across biomes like they are now? Basically, what makes dragons that live here special, and why should they live here as opposed to anywhere else?

And a Time mana place would be great. I wouldn't know what to call it, or even what would go on there, but I think it would be very interesting.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Distortion_World

OP has been updated to add Chaos Habitat. Chaos Habitat would include Subterranean, Cave, Dark Place, Toxic, Time.

Let me know if I misunderstood and that should be changed.

Edited by NotBambi