Floralpikmin99

New Biomes

I kinda like Aquaway (or waterway or wetland). I understand that shore is more technically correct, but, well, tbh, this is just a game and I'm okay with sacrificing some technical details so it sounds a little better. x3

Why not just call them: Earth (desert), Fire (volcano), Water (coast), Wood (forest/jungle), Air (alpine)? The new biome could be Metal.

Edited by rayden54

Why not just call them: Earth (desert), Fire (volcano), Water (coast), Wood (forest/jungle), Air (alpine)? The new biome could be Metal.

:/ That doesn't really sync well with the map, though.

Truthfully, we could probably do without the map.. don't know about anyone else but I never use it, I use the links across the top of the page.

Dividing the biomes by the elements would actually be viable, IMO.

Air

Earth

Fire

Water

Life

Chaos

It's fairly straightforward, but might not appeal to everyone, so it's not something I'd fight for... but I could go with it.

But I really think we ought to keep trying with what we're working on..

Mountains

Waterways

Grasslands

Forest (or maybe Woodlands)

Tropics

Wastelands

Well ide say keep the map because although i don't use it its just an insight on what TJ imagines the Dragcave world to be like

blink.gif TJ agrees with me. Like wow.....

Well it's good to know that I prefer 'shore' too. Always nice to know your in sync with the Great Cave God himself.

Just curious, but should I change the name of the topic to something more fitting to the topic everyone's talking about? I'm going to update the main post though.

I didn't want to necro-post this thread and also my suggestion was a bit different. XD

So, I don't fully like the idea of JUST "renaming" the biomes because it STILL doesn't completely cover everything in there...

So I had another idea: Why not combine similar biomes and also rename slightly?

That is to say, the names (they'd have to be listed vertically probably to save space) would be "____&____"

I was thinking the biomes could be like:

-Alpine & Tundra

-River & Shoreline

-Desert & Savanna/Grasslands/Field (personally I like savanna the most)

-Forest & Swamp

-Jungle & Tropics

-Volcano & Bad/Wastelands

That way it's a little more specific and still encompasses everything.

Although, now that I think about it, I feel like there could almost be a biome (although I guess it's not technically a biome) for civilized areas, like villages or cities/kingdoms. After all, I feel like some species get along rather well with humans and such, and there are possibly some that roam the streets, etc, or live in a hayloft or something. Maybe something like the pygmies and drakes, or other small breeds. Especially some of the breeds that are based on birds...

This was focused on too much and clearly shot down. I wanted more thoughts on the original idea of the thread, not this part, though I was curious to see others' thoughts on it... ._.

Also, for emphasis, note that I said small breeds. Some feedback suggests big, cattle-eating stuff would be around. XD I guess they would, but they'd be chased off so you wouldn't really find them there.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Although, now that I think about it, I feel like there could almost be a biome (although I guess it's not technically a biome) for civilized areas, like villages or cities/kingdoms. After all, I feel like some species get along rather well with humans and such, and there are possibly some that roam the streets, etc, or live in a hayloft or something. Maybe something like the pygmies and drakes, or other small breeds. Especially some of the breeds that are based on birds...

Although such areas probably would exist, I am dubious that the dragons there would be feral.

There are plenty of feral animals in real towns-- squirrels, birds, raccoons, etc. The more important point, I think, is that the humans who live there surely wouldn't be receptive to hundreds of random egg hunters trespassing onto their property and tramping into their haylofts to search for pgymy eggs. :-)

Although such areas probably would exist, I am dubious that the dragons there would be feral.

Good point, which made me think, couldn't the AP be a village/city biome? After all, the eggs there all come from tame dragons or have been adopted by humans before they were sent there. It's much more likely that dragons that were abandoned by their human owners will be found near a human settlement than in the middle of the wilderness.

I doubt they'd be tramplin; I suspect it might work similarly to things like dog catchers. (Thought the image of various farmers and shop-keepers being like "Ruddy dragon hunters, ruining my crops just to get some shiny eggs....no good layabouts..." is pretty funny)

Edited by Completely Different

I doubt they'd be tramplin; I suspect it might work similarly to things like dog catchers. (Thought the image of various farmers and shop-keepers being like "Ruddy dragon hunters, ruining my crops just to get some shiny eggs....no good layabouts..." is pretty funny)

Yes, I imagine we'd find ourselves on the wrong end of a few pitchforks and crossbows. :-)

And that is regardless of what the villagers/cityfolk would think of a large predator that would eat their valuable livestock. Farmers aren't tolerant of wolves, I have a hard time picturing them tolerant of a dragon.

I'd also say, Cities and towns are not a natural biome. They are, by definition, man made. So... While some animals adjust well to said life, they are not native to such.

And of course, the pitchforms, crossbows, and intolerant farmers are a given. tongue.gif

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

O...kay...

Everyone seems focused on my little wisp of an idea that was a possible city "biome", and NOT the original focus of my thread. ._. I was thinking the city would get shot down anyway. While I like the feedback on it, it's not really what I was looking for and wasn't planning on keeping it around.

And I said that it would probably have pygmies and drakes- SMALL dragons/dragon-like creatures, not huge dragons. Not even vicious dragons. Why? For all the reasons stated: they would not be tolerated.

But just as there are feral cats, I feel like there could be a few feral small-breeds around the towns and such.

Feral by definition means "once tamed and now running free". So the wild Mustangs in the American West are considered feral, in that they are from domestic stock. Same with cats and dogs. So what you would really have are wild animals that adjusted to living around humans.

As for the rest of your idea... The city part was the only original bit. The rest of the idea, re-naming the biomes, gets brought up every couple of months or so. There's a long running thread around here somewhere where it's been discussed. Too lazy right now to hunt it down.

Cheers!

C4.

Feral by definition means "once tamed and now running free". So the wild Mustangs in the American West are considered feral, in that they are from domestic stock. Same with cats and dogs. So what you would really have are wild animals that adjusted to living around humans.

As for the rest of your idea... The city part was the only original bit. The rest of the idea, re-naming the biomes, gets brought up every couple of months or so. There's a long running thread around here somewhere where it's been discussed. Too lazy right now to hunt it down.

Cheers!

C4.

Original as in first idea, not brand new idea. XD

I KNOW there are other renaming threads. The most recently-posted-in thread (that I found when doing the search) was last posted in on the 3rd of May. I stated in my first post that I didn't want to necro-post it. I know there were a few older threads, too, but they were just that: older. I realized that adding/renaming biomes would NOT be an original idea. It's just that all the suggestions I've seen don't quite seem to satisfy, so I offered THIS idea because it seemed like it would be a little more specific and satisfying than what we have now.

Problem is, we can't all seem to agreee on everything. Some of us want this set of names, others want that set of names... so we try for a compromise... and the same thing happens again, we can't all agree on everything.

*coughs evilly*

I don't care what they are called as long as they contain DRAGON EGGS and I know where to find them xd.png

I'm aware that there's a suggestion about adding a biome but, according to that suggestion, the access was to be restricted to users with specific trophies or the like. What I'm suggesting here is different: the additional biomes could be accessed by every user.

The existing biomes were introduced, according to the wiki, five years ago. In the last five years the number of breeds increased significantly and we can reasonably expect that will continue. It is becoming progressively harder and harder to find a specific egg in the biomes, even if it is not a rare.

Conclusion: I would like to suggest at least two (maybe even 5) additional habitats. Suggestions for what they should be?

Following this:

We do have:

- Marine (= Coast)

- Desert

- Forest (Jungle is a subset)

We partially have Tundra (Alpine) but not Arctic Tundra.

We do not have:

- Freshwater - Ponds and lakes, streams and rivers, wetlands.

- Grassland - Tropical (savannas) and Temperate - includes Prairies & Great Plains - ideal for Horses biggrin.gif , could become the ideal habitat for Big Cat inspired Dragons

Adding DC-specific habitats:

- Sky Islands

- Chaos Habitat to include:

----- Subterranean, Cave, place for dragons that lurk in the Deep Dark

----- Toxic (for the weirdest)

----- Time

Suggestions on which existing (or potential types of new) breeds could populate those new habitats, would be happily welcome!

Edited by NotBambi

Sky habitat. Could have all the air based dragons and all the lindwyrms and amphetimeres.

Savannah or grasslands