Floralpikmin99

New Biomes

I suggested the compromise, because we can't seem to agree on one 'real' word.... everyone keeps objecting... so, compromise.

I suggested the compromise, because we can't seem to agree on one 'real' word.... everyone keeps objecting... so, compromise.

WELL but - the "walk along the aquaway" doesn't suggest any large body of water - it kind of brings to mind walking along a canal.... or a viaduct or something - and leaves out beaches and so on completely.

Shore - at least there you could see any dragons in the water - rivers and lakes/oceans and on the ground around water...

I'd prefer wetlands... because the description says fresh water, salt water AND brackish water, which covers everything... but folk seems to say it's only for swamps and marshes.

The Everglades are wetlands, and that's HUGE.... AND part of the ocean.

Wetlands doesn't cover lakes/ponds/rivers/etc.

...why not just call the biome "water"? x3 It doesn't quite give the impression that it is the water and the land immediately near it, but it's better than nothing.

I still think "shore" is best.

I like water or shore.

No to wetlands, because it makes me think of swamps/etc. Not all the dragons are going to be in swampy areas. :/

Then why not my original suggestion... Waterways?

Sure, it mainly suggests rivers/streams.. but it also describes transportation on water, and even on the ocean there are 'routes' set up for the ships to follow. So combine water plus travel and you get Waterways.

And if we say it includes all types of water, then it does... regardless of any 'official' definition.

I still prefer to seperate Ocean from rivers, lakes and swamps. I can't see why people think that mountains and volcanoes should not be a sigle biome and at the same time want to have a super-biome that covers the deep sea, ocean shores and all types of fresh water resorts.

Well, with a limit of 6 biomes there's a severe limit how many closely related biomes there can be and still cover all the possibilities.

Well, with a limit of 6 biomes there's a severe limit how many closely related biomes there can be and still cover all the possibilities.

This. I would LOVE to have a separation between fresh and saltwater, but I think the biomes Cinnamin Dracona has listed are all essential. Unless TJ bends and allows a seventh, I don't think there should be such a separation..

Edited by Nectaris

I made a suggestion for that. Are there any points you think that aren't covered or won't work?

I would prefer to combine the mountains of Alpine and Volcano to a new "Mountains" area. I agree with Olympe on waterways - that sounds like rivers and canals. Overall, I'd prefer a total revamp of the biomes without too much shuffling of dragon breeds.

I suggest:

Wastelands: Includes barren regions like tundra, deserts of all types, basically any region that has extreme climatic conditions (temperature, wind etc)

Wetlands: rivers, lakes and swamps, including mangroves

Woodlands: Forests and djungles

Grasslands: ranging from rocky regions like northen Scotland to plains, prairie and african savanna

Mountains: includes all types of mountains, snowy as well as volcanic

Oceanic: includes oceans as well as as any type of coast (beaches, rocky etc)

I made a suggestion for that. Are there any points you think that aren't covered or won't work?

The problem with yours is it leaves out any tropical type biome. If you say that tropical dragons should just go in woodlands, then you are merely changing one problem for the other,.

Edited by Nectaris

Tropical is not a biome, but a climate. Depending on some factors, this may mean woodland (tropical rain forest), wetlands (swamps, lakes, rivers, fens, bogs, whatever), wastelands (some tropical areas are rather dry and thus, deserts), grasslands (anything tropical that's neither desert nor woodland, but something in between), mountains (there are mountains in the tropics!) or oceanic (from coral reef to deep sea).

My biome classification isn't related to temperature or moisture or something similar. It combines similar types of habitat regardless of climatic conditions. I suggest to combine any type of

• flat lands dominated by grass
  • areas that are dominated by fresh water
  • considerable heights
  • areas that are desolate
  • ocean life
  • and finally life in areas that are dominated by trees
In this classification it doesn't matter if the shore is in an antarctic type of environment or in a Carribean. Same goes for woods; northern types of wood are a forest as well as a forest in a moist wand warm environment (aka djungle). Edited by Rally Vincent

I'd go along with that except for two points.

1. There aren't enough water dragons to separate into two biomes.

2. There are already too many forest/jungle dragons and combining them would just make things worse than they already are.

We're trying to separate the dragons more evenly, not clump them up together.

My biome classification isn't related to temperature of moisture or something similar. I combines similar types of habitat regardless of climatic conditions. I suggest to combine any type of

flat lands dominated by grass

areas that are dominated by fresh water

considerable heights

areas that are desolate

ocean life

and finally life in areas that are dominated by trees

In this classification it doesn't matter if the shore is in an antarctic type of environment or in a Carribean. Same goes for woods; northern types of wood are a forest as well as a forest in a moist wand warm environment (aka djungle).

To me then, that would require sub-biomes(not really a word, I think, but you get the point I hope) to denote climate. I wouldn't want to see some clearly ice based dragon next to a flamingo for example just because they live by a lake.

Edited by Nectaris

To me then, that would require sub-biomes(not really a word, I think, but you get the point I hope) to denote climate.  I wouldn't want to see some clearly ice based dragon next to a flamingo for example.

I see what you mean, but in my opinion the theoretical possibility that there is an antarctic shore wouldn't necessarily mean that TJ would (have to) make Ice Dragons available in the Ocean biome. Regarding the Galapagos Islands, there is enoghu room to decide that certain species are exclusive to a certain area in DC and thus only occur in one biome most suited.

I'd go along with that except for two points.

1. There aren't enough water dragons to separate into two biomes.

2. There are already too many forest/jungle dragons and combining them would just make things worse than they already are.

We're trying to separate the dragons more evenly, not clump them up together.

I assume that - just like Ocean contains shore - that rivers have banks, swamps are mixed with watery and solid patches and lakes have shores. There would be room for land-based wildlife, just like Water Walkers currently inhabit the forest rivers.

Regarding djungle and forest dragons - if we shuffle biomes a bit, there couldm also be a shuffle of breeds. I can imagine whiptails in the wetlands biome, give that the artists/conceptors are okay with it. I don't think that the current inhabitations of breeds would follow 100% if biomes are changed.

Edited by Rally Vincent

Shuffling which goes where comes next and will be another topic. AFTER we sort out the biome situation. Before we start sending dragons to new biomes, we need to finish redifining the biomes.

If you argue that through shuffling there might be "too many dragons" in one of the new biomes, what do you expect me to answer? Or in other words - why do you argue that there will be too many dragons if it is just about the biomes and afterwards what lives in it?

This may sound completely ridiculous, but bear with me tongue.gif What if you called the water area "Island." I know, Island implies on land, but then if you think of Madagascar, it has access to sea, marshlands, lakes etc, so as long as the description says something about you exploring the watery bits of the island, it just might work?

Make it a peninsula so you can walk there, instead of needing a boat to get there, and we should be set.

Seeing (and participating in) all this arguing, I'm close to say that we'd better leave things the way they are. Or maybe we should just change the jungle and forest biome into woodland and grassland/lowland and sort the dragons into them accordingly?

Island I think actually does work. You have islands in fresh water, salt water, and even in large rivers.

And I have no problem with Tropics being more "climate". We want it to include all of those things.

Cheers!

C4.

I sent this concept to TJ a couple of weeks ago. He didn't get back to me then, but he asked me to repost my idea in this thread.. so here goes...

--------------------------------------------

Alpine

1. of, pertaining to, on, or part of the Alps or any other high mountain system, especially one that has been shaped by intense glacial erosion.

Change to Tundra

A cold, treeless, usually lowland area of far northern regions. The lower strata of soil of tundras are permanently frozen, but in summer the top layer of soil thaws and can support low-growing mosses, lichens, grasses, and small shrubs.

Alpine tundra is a type of natural region or biome that does not contain trees because it is at high altitude.

Reasoning - Less limiting: can include mountains, upland meadows, high plains, subarctic regions, etc.

Coast

1. the land next to the sea; seashore: the rocky coast of Maine.

Change to Waterways

Reasoning - Can cover anything aquatic, freshwater or saltwater, sandy beaches, rocky headlands, riverbanks, ponds/lakes, etc.

Desert

1. a region so arid because of little rainfall that it supports only sparse and widely spaced vegetation or no vegetation at all

2. any area in which few forms of life can exist because of lack of water, permanent frost, or absence of soil.

Change to Savanna

Tropical and subtropical grasslands, savannas, and shrublands are a grassland terrestrial biome located in semi-arid to semi-humid climate regions of subtropical and tropical latitudes. Grasslands are dominated by grass and other herbaceous plants. Savannas are grasslands with scattered trees. Shrublands are dominated by woody or herbaceous shrubs.

Reasoning - Less limiting; allows for anyting from arid to humid, with or without trees.

Forest - no change

1. A dense growth of trees and underbrush covering a large area. Forests exist in all regions of the Earth except for regions of extreme cold or dryness.

Jungle - no change

1. a wild land overgrown with dense vegetation, often nearly impenetrable, especially tropical vegetation or a tropical rain forest.

Volcano

1. A cone-shaped mountain or hill created by molten material that rises from the interior of the Earth to the surface.

Change to Desolate

1. barren or laid waste; devastated: a treeless, desolate landscape.

2. deprived or destitute of inhabitants; deserted; uninhabited.

Reasoning - Less limiting; can include sand deserts, ice deserts, volcanic regions, radiation problems, raw chaos, pure evil, etc.

I'd especially like to see Alpine changed to Tundra, Coast to Waterways and Desert to Savanna. I'm less convinced on changing Volcano to Desolate since they seem a little too different to me. I also liked the suggestion someone made to combine Forest and Jungle into Woodlands.

What I'd really love to see, however, is a description of the individual biomes on the site. Currently we just have the one word to go off, but if there was somewhere (maybe on the map or a different page entirely) that gives a brief description of what to expect in each biome, I think it'd help for RP purposes as well as dragon concepts and finding the perfect match for your dragon. smile.gif

I think there was another thread a while ago where people might have actually been writing descriptions for the biomes already, but I can't find it unfortunately.

Edited by StormWizard212

I think there was another thread a while ago where people might have actually been writing descriptions for the biomes already, but I can't find it unfortunately.

Was it Hoarding?

Was it Hoarding?

There might be something there, but it's not the one I was thinking about. There was a suggestion brought up a while ago that was about revamping the current biomes, changing the names, giving descriptions, etc.

*goes off to try and find it again*