Floralpikmin99

New Biomes

Tropical and Aquatic need to change, since those are adjectives, not nouns. Tropics would work for Jungle, but I can't think of something for Coast.

I know there wouldn't be a sky in the cave, but here is an idea. Its called Dragon Cave.

But, you can still keep the generics by having two more biomes.

Cave (Endless and Continuous Tunnels & Caves found|Made|Dug|Natural & each connecting to the other biomes.

Any dragons that like, deep, cold, dark, scary with just insects & plants to eat off of.

Sky {A place where dragons that fly all the time and can't be on ground very long because of its deformaties or etc.) Yes, I've had dragon requests where dragons couldn't even stay on the ground very long, but could stay, sleep, & eat in the air for endless of hours (with logic).}

None yet but hopefully soon.

Water: A Biome not shore or Coast, but where underwater dragons could live that do not need air, oxygen or other things. There are fish that don't come to the surface and some that do.

None yet that I'm aware of.

Other: A Biome where dragons come out of no-where for some un-explicit-ed reason of relating to the dragon or dino's or other creatures habit.

Any dragons that live or came from space could fall under this. Or came from another planet. Or came from another time. All those.

Forest, Jungle, Grasslands, Plains, and All that can be jumbled into one called: Land. Generic, Simple, covers all of them.

Those are my idea's to add in. Just an Thought.

Edited by White-Sword-Master

I know there wouldn't be a sky in the cave, but here is an idea. Its called Dragon Cave.

Cave (Endless and Continuous Tunnels & Caves found|Made|Dug|Natural & each connecting to the other biomes.

Sky {A place where dragons that fly all the time and can't be on ground very long because of its deformaties or etc.) Yes, I've had dragon requests where dragons couldn't even stay on the ground very long, but could stay, sleep, & eat in the air for endless of hours (with logic).}

Water: A Biome not shore or Coast, but where underwater dragons could live that do not need air, oxygen or other things. There are fish that don't come to the surface and some that do.

Other: A Biome where dragons come out of no-where for some un-explicit-ed reason of relating to the dragon or dino's or other creatures habit.

Forest, Jungle, Grasslands, Plains, and All that can be jumbled into one called: Land. Generic, Simple, covers all of them.

Those are my idea's to add in. Just an Thought.

It would be kinda cool to have an "Underground/cave/tunnel" biome.

Sky doesn't make sense because they still have to come down to lay their eggs, and it's the eggs we collect.

They don't have to, they pop out and catch them. Well, my dragon did that is.

@MaggieXawesomeness: Thanks. Quite literally when I came here that was my thought, all these dragons flying around in caves?

Edited by White-Sword-Master

Shore.  Covers both fresh and salt.

Only makes me think Ocean.... aka Jersey shore.

I'll change Tropical to Tropics tho, that does make sense.

Sand desert type dragons would go in Wasteland.

Edge of the desert types would go in Grasslands.

Dragons that live on/in volcanos would go in Wastelands. Volcanos are a very specialized type of mountain, so the general Mountain area would not qualify.

TJ said no additional biomes, six is the max.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

Only makes me think Ocean.... aka Jersey shore.

I'll change Tropical to Tropics tho, that does make sense.

Sand desert type dragons would go in Wasteland.

Edge of the desert types would go in Grasslands.

Dragons that live on/in volcanos would go in Wastelands. Volcanos are a very specialized type of mountain, so the general Mountain area would not qualify.

TJ said no additional biomes, six is the max.

Ya, I know.

Land covers Forest, Jungle, & stuff. So you could change one of those to a new biome is what I was getting at. Not sure why he dislikes more biomes unless it puts a big strain on the server.

I still think Wetlands would work..

The water found in wetlands can be saltwater, freshwater, or brackish. Main wetland types include swamps, marshes, bogs and fens. Sub-types include mangrove, carr, pocosin, and varzea.

That's direct from the Wikipedia, and it does include saltwater.. even if it doesn't mention deep ocean.

it's just a word... should we really get stuck on a technicality?

I still think Wetlands would work..

That's direct from the Wikipedia, and it does include saltwater.. even if it doesn't mention deep ocean.

it's just a word... should we really get stuck on a technicality?

I just think that Shore does the job far more nicely. There's lake shores, ocean shores, river shores... it could mean just about any water body, whereas Wetlands has a far more defined application. I'm studying wildlife management, and as such run into the definition of wetland quite often, and it's swampy areas rather then oceans or lakes or rivers or anything of the like.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Shore sounds awkward to me. I'd prefer Coast or Wetlands unless someone can come up with another suggestion.

Like Water World. =p

How about Splishy Splashy Land? rolleyes.gif

(I'm totally not serious, lol)

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

Would aquatic be ok for a water biome?

(All from thefreedictionary.com)

Shore: The land along the edge of an ocean, sea, lake, or river; a coast.

Coast: Land next to the sea; the seashore.

Wetland: A lowland area, such as a marsh or swamp, that is saturated with moisture, especially when regarded as the natural habitat of wildlife.

I agree that Shore doesn't have quite as nice a ring to it as Coast, but there's no denying that it's the best fit for what we're looking for.

Would aquatic be ok for a water biome?

An Aquatic is not a place you can travel to, so I don't think it would work, no.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I really like some of the ideas, but I have to say, changing the map plus changing the "jungle" into tropics is a good idea...

Possibilities: bay, basin, waterway, coast, wetlands, shore, bayou, cove, estuary, gulf, inlet, shoreline

I wouldn't mind jungles and forests being put together, since in my brain they're just trees. (I know, I know, they're vastly different)

Drake, a lot of what you listed are very specific as to the kind of water they talk about. That's worse than the "coast" we have now, which is at least somewhat general [but mostly talking about salt water].

What if we called the coast "coast/shore" instead? Looks awkward, but covers all problems.

I propose a compromise..

Let's use a totally made up word that means what we say it means.

Coast > Aquaway

As you walk along the aquaway, you see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings. Nearby, there is a pile of several eggs.

-------------------------------------

Alpine > Mountains > includes high peaks or low hills, warm or cold based on elevation, high plateaus or deep valleys, can have trees on the slopes ranging up to a treeline with nothing but snow above it.

Coast > Aquaway > fresh water, salt water and everything in between, regardless of actual location.. if it needs water, it goes here

Desert > Grasslands > deserts get rolled into the Wastelands and we get a new region for dragons who like areas that can be arid or humid, hot or cold, with or without trees, but are mostly flatlands.

Forest > Forest (no change) > because a forest is a forest is a forest, this is for anyplace that is mostly trees, but isn't too hot or too cold.

Jungle > Tropics > adds a little wider choice of what types of dragons are found here. But is basically for any dragon that prefers hot and humid conditions, with or without trees. From lazy dragons who like to lie on the beach, to small, agile nighthunting dragons who stalk the rainforest.

Volcano > Wastelands > includes volcanic regions, hot deserts, glacial deserts, magic dead areas, radioactive wastes, regions of pure chaos, and/or any weird environment that might be needed.

---------------------------------------

An 'underworld' was mentioned, but I don't really think we'll get that many dragons that live their entire lives underground. For any dragon like that, I'd say it should be in the Wastelands.

'Sky' was mentioned, but since this is similar to the Skywing dragon, they are already assigned to the Alpine/Mountain biome.

'Islands' was mentioned somewhere, but I think that's too limited. Dragons that like islands should be placed based on lifestyle or temperature; Aquaway if water is the most important aspect, Tropics if they like lounging on the beach, or Wastelands if they prefer hunting off icebergs in the cold.

And I remeber someone mentioning sorting by Elements; but I think that would be too drastic of a change. For now, unless we get a LOT of elemental type dragons, I'd suggest the following divisions; Air > Mountains, Earth > Forest, Fire > Wastelands, Water > Aquaway, Energy > Wastelands.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

An 'underworld' was mentioned, but I don't really think we'll get that many dragons that live their entire lives underground. For any dragon like that, I'd say it should be in the Wastelands.

Or in the mountain biome. I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many caves outside of mountainous regions. There might be some that aren't man-made, but I would think that they are few and far between.

I propose a compromise..

Let's use a totally made up word that means what we say it means.

Coast > Aquaway

As you walk along the aquaway, you see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings. Nearby, there is a pile of several eggs.

Why can't we just use a real word that means what we need it to mean?

Shore or Shoreline covers everything. Making up a fake word for an area when all the other places are actual real-world locations seems out of place.