Floralpikmin99

New Biomes

1 hour ago, Alrexwolf said:

Okay but... why? This doesn't help improve this suggestion or sway others as to what you think / why you think a different or the current system would be better.

What changed? If you had nothing to say before did you mean TJ implied that there would be no more biomes added? I'm so confused because if that's what you mean I didn't see that at all.

I have said my piece on this in other threads when adding biomes has come up for discussion but OK, fair enough: 6 biomes is quite enough for the number of breeds we have; they can easily cover the terrains we need, and as TJ says, it's still hugely better and less cluttered than when we just had "cave". More biomes would also be a nightmare on mobiles, and would make copper breeding tough. And there's also the matter of zyus and xenos. I had nothing to say earlier in this thread simply because I couldn't be bothered to link to my past posts about this (which have probably fallen off the radar anyway; they were a long time ago now.)

I'm also against adding more biomes. It's hard enough to get all the dragons in the current six biomes. It would mess up the Zyus and Xenos, plus the Coppers. And to shift all the dragons around would probably require a lot of contact with the spriters regarding the new biomes. That could take quite a while, depending on if the spriters in question are still around and contactable.

We already have a holiday biome that pops up each holiday. I'm grateful we have that. I'm glad we don't just have one biome to dig through, that would be a nightmare currently. I can get maybe seeing a plains or tundra biome...but I don't see it as necessary right now. We have enough biomes with a ton of variety and just enough (maybe too much at times, imo) challenge trying to hunt specific breeds from what we already have.

Plus, to code new biomes? I know nothing about code but I would think making something that shifts between three breeds (or more, depending on how often things get picked up) at a time every 5 minutes, 24/7, would take quite a while to do properly.

14 hours ago, animatedrose said:

Plus, to code new biomes? I know nothing about code but I would think making something that shifts between three breeds (or more, depending on how often things get picked up) at a time every 5 minutes, 24/7, would take quite a while to do properly.

At this point, I don't think adding new biomes would be such a technical issue anymore. All you need is an ID (like the Forest has ID 3), an a description. A bit of copy/paste maybe, if at all.

Everything else is most likely associated with the according dragons (like where they drop, what colour the Copper becomes and what type of Xenowyrm it'll be). An indicator for that is that each time a new "biome" is added (holiday, market), Coppers have to be retro-fixed because biome-based breeding mechanics were forgotten about XD

Personally, I would like a better description for the Jungle. If you look, most biomes are described as you wandering through them while looking for dragons.

Only the Jungle states:

You arrive at the jungle

as if it was a bus station. And NOWHERE, really frigging NOWHERE does it state that it has any kind of grasslands that a Horse Dragon could run on. A jungle consists of plenty of trees and all kinds of plants, plus swamps that a Horse Dragon would never go to. Open plains in a jungle?

Additionally, the Encyclopedia could contain some landscape descriptions. We do have so many skilled writers, I'm sure they can come up with more than just dragon concepts :)

I don't care if it's easy to code. I just totally don't think we need them.

For lore reasons—I think new biomes are completely necessary. The current biomes do not encompass a large enough range of existing biomes, and so grassland- or tundra-inhabiting dragons are shoved into other locations where they definitely don’t belong.

About biome specific breeding mechanics, I have no opinion one way or another. Just that “it might be too hard” isn’t a valid reason not to attempt something.

Edited by Niyaka

On 8/21/2018 at 4:15 PM, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't care if it's easy to code. I just totally don't think we need them.

Just take into account that adding one, two or three biomes to the existing 6 is going to be way less of a shock than going from one cave to 6 biomes was. And, while egg movement has gone down considerably due to the biomes being introduced, I think that hunting is better now than it was then - not to mention how awful it would be to look for certain breeds - and I'm talking about commons here! -  in one cave with roughly 200 breeds in there. Also, holiday hunting has been impacted severely by the biomes. Remember trying to get marrows/sweetlings/snow angels/pumpkins with hundreds of people trying to click the same three eggs? (I wasn't even there for the older breeds, but from what I've heard, it was even worse because there were no egg floods.)

We've had the current biomes for years now, and I think we're at the point where we can gradually add more. Could encourage better diversification of dragons, and we're missing a few habitats that are kind of key for creatures so varied and adaptable as dragons are. While the ones we have are fine, I think more variety would be a good thing.

I don't suggest we add ALL of what I'm about to list, at least not all at once, but these are some of the biomes I think we could benefit from.

Glacier or Tundra: Alpine is basically our "cold mountain" biome. This is... acceptable? But mountains aren't necessarily cold, and arctic animals don't necessarily live in mountains. I think it's best to separate altitude from climate, in this case.

Plain or Savanna: Or both, honestly. Plains are one of the few habitats we don't have any answer for, and savanna is only loosely covered by desert. I think this speaks for itself well enough.

Cavern: Since the introduction of the biomes, we've lost any equivalent to cave-dwellers. Could use a better name to not confuse it with the still-in-use "Cave", but I can't believe we don't have some sort of subterranean biome?

Lake, Abyss, or Ocean: Coast is our all-purpose water biome, but it's kind of misleading in how generic it is. A lakefront will have different wildlife than a beach, and that doesn't even consider actual marine or deep-sea creatures. In this case I personally would prefer to rename Coast to Beach and add Lake + Ocean. I know they're all fairly similar, but... so are Jungle/Forest? Speaking of...

Swamp: Another we only sort of have an answer for, this time Jungle. Because... water and plants, I guess?

Edited by Keileon
dragons don't live on planes

We already have a suggestions thread for this:

Ah, that was out of sight enough for me to think we didn't. If a mod could merge this thread that'd be great.

On 12/25/2018 at 5:58 PM, Keileon said:

Glacier or Tundra: Alpine is basically our "cold mountain" biome. This is... acceptable? But mountains aren't necessarily cold, and arctic animals don't necessarily live in mountains. I think it's best to separate altitude from climate, in this case.

Plane or Savanna: Or both, honestly. Plains are one of the few habitats we don't have any answer for, and savanna is only loosely covered by desert. I think this speaks for itself well enough.

Cavern: Since the introduction of the biomes, we've lost any equivalent to cave-dwellers. Could use a better name to not confuse it with the still-in-use "Cave", but I can't believe we don't have some sort of subterranean biome?

Lake, Abyss, or Ocean: Coast is our all-purpose water biome, but it's kind of misleading in how generic it is. A lakefront will have different wildlife than a beach, and that doesn't even consider actual marine or deep-sea creatures. In this case I personally would prefer to rename Coast to Beach and add Lake + Ocean. I know they're all fairly similar, but... so are Jungle/Forest? Speaking of...

Swamp: Another we only sort of have an answer for, this time Jungle. Because... water and plants, I guess?

Yo..... These would be so damn cool.

I was previously kinda torn about this suggestion but thinking about creepy abyssal cavern-dwellers and the opportunity for some monstrous creatures makes me so excited! I'm gonna get to designing some real quick....

I actually really support all of those. It's been bugging me for a while that all our snow/ice based dragon have to come from mountains as opposed to tundras, especially since there's a Penguin Dragon in DR right now that doesn't seem to suit mountains nearly as much as it would suit a tundra. Plains, Caverns, Abyssal Ocean and Swamps... They're all amazing biomes with such promise! It certainly would encourage some more awesome designs!

How about a deep cave, DC has all this talk of caves and dragons that live underground like Nocturnes and kyanites for example but there's no actual underground biome.

The real issue with a deep cave would be immediately distinguishing it visually from the standard Cave message; Chthon (as in chthonic), maybe? :V

Edited by Guillotine

12 hours ago, Guillotine said:

The real issue with a deep cave would be immediately distinguishing it visually from the standard Cave message; Chthon (as in chthonic), maybe? :V

Underground, Sub-Terranian, Cavern perhaps?

Edited by blockEdragon

Just wanted to bring this idea back if that's ok, just because I think adding new biomes would benefit the site and game play

I think with how many dragon breeds we have now 240+ I think that realistically we are limited with what we have got now biome wise, not that I don't love the current set up i just think it could be improved upon wee bit, most of what i will mention might be already on this thread or similar ideas but it's been a few years since it was written on so here is my thought process I hope this doesn't upsett any one, I also hope this makes sence I'm not the best writer.

Here it goes :)

• One reason I think adding new biomes will be a good idea is for more world building and potentialy more lore as well, i think extending our current sett up and expanding the biomes would make it seem like a more realistic world- I love the world dragon cave has created its wonderful, I love that we have a continent with diverse landscapes, that have knowledge of the moons, that we have beautiful settings but we could have more (to to sound ho greedy haha) there is so much that could be created i know it's not up to me its TJ's world and it's how he envisions it but can you imagine what else is out there? For us to discover!
With so many breeds and so many amazeing concepts and so many more to come I think more areas to place the breeds and to inspire new breeds would be a welcome change, some of the descriptions we currently have I feel dont make perfect sence with the current bioms and some of the breeds that belong in them, some dragon descriptions talk about deep sea dwellers and these breeds are found along the coast, would they be? or dragons adapted to liveing in freezing tundra landscapes but are found in alpine, again not that accurate.
I think expanding on the world creating new areas mabe even a new continent to explore that has unique biomes or ocean areas can only add to the wonder it would make the game seem bigger and more like a world were exploring. Oversly I know it can only get so big but having another several biomes could work I feeling done properly

My suggestions are as follows I have no idea how this could work or if it can and it may affect current breeds to much or rarity to much I dont know, mabe some breeds may have to change biomes which might not be possible but all of this is just a though so....
1. One idea is add another continent? Or a map with an ocean and islands, something along the line of a new map to explore, on this area we would have the new biomes, all different to the current map, the user could switch between the two maps at leasure and choose which biome to explore similar to how it currently works, another way would be you get a 50/50 chance when your on the home page of getting either map but I can see that coursing issues so mabe not that
2. Second idea simply add more biomes to existing map- just widen what we can see but this might make it a bit cramped especially on phones, but the map area would show X amount of bikes say 10 or 12 to explore
3. Finally change current map to a new world view map, the whole planets land/water mass and all the biomes are present on this
Suggested biomes- some have been mentioned in this thread previously but it's been a while so sorry if I steal any or remenion
• Ocean- a wide spread ocean biome for breeds that live in the deep dark ocean, or fly over the waves and feed out to see, basically for breeds that font go on land (coast could just become dragons that live around the coastline and utalize beaches for laying eggs)
• Savannah- for dragons on the wide open planes with sparse tree coverage that are adapted to droughts and wet seasons
• Tundra- cast areas of icy expanse small little shrubs
• Marshland/wetlands- imagen the breeds that could come from here all muddy haha
• Sky- bit odd I know but for all the species that never touch ground that live all their lives on the wing, to get over the egg laying issue it could just comprise of the topmost highest peaks of mountains the rest is the open sky
• Struggling for a sixth but urban areas mabe or a proper underground cave system?
I know this is just dreaming and courses issues, and I guess why change what's not bricken I just thought more variety would be good.
I guess there will be issues wit any change issues I think it might course such as having to change which dragons drop in what biomes currently, the amount of dragons present in each biome if the changes acure and if this will change availability and rarity of breeds might not I'm not shore how it works but it's just a though

Sorry if I've reopened a can of worms or said anything wrong

17 minutes ago, Bloommist said:

SNIP

New biomes are not likely to happen for awhile yet.  Besides the fact that no one can agree on what areas are needed, and the need to contact all artists about where breeds should be moved to IF more were added....The simple fact is, each biome is still a lot less crowded than the single cave was before they were added.  I figure we've got a long ways to go before it's worth the coding time.  You need a good number for each biome, if any area has only a handful of species, then most of the time it will be empty as all the eggs for the hours are produced and taken shortly after generated.

Not sure why we'd need a new map?  Doesn't everyone use the text links that show above it as being easier anyway?  I pay zero attention to that map, it could disappear and I probably wouldn't notice till it was pointed out. 

Nothing wrong with putting out your opinions, just be aware that debates in suggestions can be heated.  It's not you, people are just passionate about their pixels. 

just popping in to say i think this would bring a ton of fresh good stuff to the game! i really think a skyome (sky biome!) with air affinity dragons could be cool

my boyfriend came up with the idea of a time warp biome, which could maybe open at random times during the day, or every other 5 minutes or something like that, and it'd have aeon-type otherworldly dragons. sort of like a portal that opens up to a mysterious cave in space somewhere!!! i like that idea because then you don't have to worry about adding xenos/zyus/messing up the balance. it'd just be like a cute extra biome with really funky dragons that don't fit in natural settings!!

anyway, there's lots of reasons NOT to do this but i love new ideas and i think we should be open and accepting of this cool concept!! to circumvent the annoying problem of contacting artists and changing preexisting dragons' biomes, maybe there could be a sprite contest where in-cave and new sprites alike can submit new dragons to fill up a few spots in whatever new biome gets approved. how fun would that be!?

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

New biomes are not likely to happen for awhile yet.  Besides the fact that no one can agree on what areas are needed, and the need to contact all artists about where breeds should be moved to IF more were added....The simple fact is, each biome is still a lot less crowded than the single cave was before they were added.  I figure we've got a long ways to go before it's worth the coding time.  You need a good number for each biome, if any area has only a handful of species, then most of the time it will be empty as all the eggs for the hours are produced and taken shortly after generated.

Not sure why we'd need a new map?  Doesn't everyone use the text links that show above it as being easier anyway?  I pay zero attention to that map, it could disappear and I probably wouldn't notice till it was pointed out. 

Nothing wrong with putting out your opinions, just be aware that debates in suggestions can be heated.  It's not you, people are just passionate about their pixels. 

I agree with this 1000%.

I don’t think anyone has pointed out extra biomes would affect zombies as well- there would more to collect with more biomes. 

Sorry everyone was just a thought :) I love the cave as is was just being a tad greedy biome wise haha 

21 hours ago, Bloommist said:

Sorry everyone was just a thought :) I love the cave as is was just being a tad greedy biome wise haha 

Don't be sorry, you're not alone, as the existence of this thread proves.

I also like the idea of biomes that you need to work towards reaching. Like a Sky biome. You cannot fly. You'd need a good flyer to help you get there and hunt eggs. So, maybe this could be something like a BSA for all dragons with air-affinity that they'll carry you to the sky biome and let you hunt for 1 hour or until you pick up 1 (or 2?) eggs. Once you're done (or your time expired), you can use the same BSA from another dragon. 

The same mechanism could work for other biomes: Sea for dragons with water affinity, Underground/Deep Cave for dragons with light or fire affinity (because you really need light in order to see the eggs hidden in the dark), or some kind of "Jurassic" biome where you can find long extinct dragon breeds - for which you'd need some dragon with time affinity to help you out.

Yes, this would mean you'd have to collect dragons to get there. Yes, access is slightly limited. Yes, the amount of rares spawning in these biomes might need to be assessed. No, it's not enforcing any kind of play style (save for making you play). No, it doesn't force you to collect a certain breed in huge amounts. No, it's not complicated and it's not maths. Yes, we'd need a better term than "BSA" because it's not exactly breed-specific. Maybe ESA (element-specific action) or ABA (affinity-based action). No, we don't need everything dropped into our collective laps from day one - there are already a number of things we need to collect dragons for - GoNs and Sinomorphs, Trophies, having all holiday breeds as CB, having "endless" incubates/influences/teleports/fertilities/precognitions, owning zombies or neglecteds, attaining our magikarp badge... 

I love all the ideas you suggested @olympe that sounds great, I think an ESA or ASA would be so cool I think it would add a grate game play and using our own dragons to help just sounds so fun to me :)

I think working towards reaching them woild be such an intresting way of doing it and so easy achive with what we currently have, I personally would be happy to collect dragons for this purpose and it adds a different level of exploration to the game

The ideas for how the biomes could be used is great the sky, ocean and cave one sounds great and the Jurassic idea sounds so so amazeing would utilise time element well as not many breeds have that so will give it a nice purpose 

Edited by Bloommist