Biscuit19131

ANSWERED:My egg died 3 days ago, but it's still on my scroll.

On December 19th of this year, my first egg died. It was a green Fire Gem egg that I got from the market the day before. It had died of sickness while I was at school. I have heard before that it takes 24 hours for the egg to disappear, but it's the 22nd, and the egg is still there. On the 20th, I got a second Fire Gem egg from the market, and it died yesterday, and it's still there as well, though I would consider it to have the 24 hour marker. I looked in the actions, and there is nothing there to remove the egg. How long will it be until the deceased egg is off my scroll? It hurts my heart to see the remains of the eggs.

Capture.PNG

Edited by Biscuit19131
My question was answered, thank you!

It takes two weeks for a dead eggshell to disappear from the scroll. But it takes up a slot for only 24 hours.

An egg that dies of sickness or not enough time will not take up a slot, only eggs you purposely kill with the Kill action or a dangerous BSA like Bite or Earthquake. They will still stay on your scroll for 2 weeks exactly.

Edit: also, don't add them to hatcheries when they're young because they are vulnerable and die easily. People may add your eggs to hatcheries without you knowing so consider fogging your eggs as well when you're not around.

Edited by Shadowdrake

Alright, thank you for your responses! That clears up a lot. And @Shadowdrake, I already have a setting on my account that makes it against the site's rules to put my eggs and hatchlings on hatcheries, if that helps.

Unfortunately the account setting is only a matter of stating your wishes - there's no way to actually stop people doing it except fogging.

Usually I find it's safe to add my eggs to one hatchery straight away so long as it's not allure of neglected dragons, then a second after one day (and more if necessary, but not usually more than 3 total until it has four days left). Particularly during the holiday you might find it's safer to hide dragons whenever you can't check every couple of hours though, and definitely fog any egg that gets sick until it's been well again for a couple of hours.

12 minutes ago, Biscuit19131 said:

Alright, thank you for your responses! That clears up a lot. And @Shadowdrake, I already have a setting on my account that makes it against the site's rules to put my eggs and hatchlings on hatcheries, if that helps.

It doesn't.  people will still do it anyway whether because they think they are helping or because they want to kill other peoples dragons is debatable, intent doesn't matter if it dies.  Never add anything until it is at least 24 hrs old (6days without incubate/5 with) and watch them closely right now, it's a Holiday so much more traffic in hatchierys and it's easier for them to get too many views too fast.

Unfortunately that scroll message is pretty useless. There is really no way the admin can enforce it.

Personally, I like to add my eggs to hatcheries as soon as I can, because I feel that it gets to 1,000 clicks by 4 days a lot faster. I never really did see the interest in fogging eggs right away, as that makes me feel they could get sick a lot easier.

The exact opposite is true for fogging. When the holidays are in full swing I fog a new egg for the first 24 hours to make sure some view bomber Doesn't put it in hatcheries when I'm not looking.  Be careful out there, if you think you've might have a bomber it's a good idea to hide scroll too.  Though if they have the egg codes that wouldn't stop them unfortunately.

You don't need 1000 clicks or unique views to hatch any egg. Most will hatch under 500, and many only need 300. Fogging does not make your eggs sick more easily, in fact it stops them from getting unwanted views and dying of sickness like your firegems did. Sickness is a result of having too many views in too short a time, much like heating up an egg too quickly or too high will kill it IRL. Fogging is the only sure way to prevent sickness before it happens.

Just looked at your scroll. Quite honestly, most of your stuff has far more views than I would ever want for mine. I use one hatchery after the 6day mark, which for me is 5days, as I incubate, and only add another when they are old enough to hatch.

34 minutes ago, Biscuit19131 said:

Personally, I like to add my eggs to hatcheries as soon as I can, because I feel that it gets to 1,000 clicks by 4 days a lot faster. I never really did see the interest in fogging eggs right away, as that makes me feel they could get sick a lot easier.

This is a good way to make eggs sick, unfortunately. They are more vulnerable to sickness in the first day of their life - I would avoid adding eggs to hatcheries until they are down to 6 or 5 days.

Fogging prevents eggs from getting sick - sickness happens when eggs get too many views, too fast.

4 hours ago, Kaini said:

This is a good way to make eggs sick, unfortunately. They are more vulnerable to sickness in the first day of their life - I would avoid adding eggs to hatcheries until they are down to 6 or 5 days.

Fogging prevents eggs from getting sick - sickness happens when eggs get too many views, too fast.

Thank you all for your concern and advice. I'd actually like to voice why I have no interest in freezing my eggs when I first get them. As Kaini states in their helpful post, "sickness happens when eggs get too many views, too fast." That is exactly why I only fog my eggs or hatchlings if they are sick. If I were to fog my egg for the first 24 hours of its life, it would have no clicks. So once I remove the fog and put it in a hatchery, lets say it gets 200 clicks per hour. That is 200 more clicks per hour than it is used to, and 200 clicks per hour more than it ever got. Since this would be soon after it's taken off fog, it will gain, if I may quote from Kaini again, "too many views, too fast." And, if you were to say that 200 clicks per hour is not too many views, then may I please bring up the point I got approximately 500 views or more per hour due to how many hatcheries I prefer to put them in. As I've heard you say, I can easily avoid this by putting an egg in one hatchery at a time. Yet, personally, I find how I get views for eggs is very efficient. In 2-3 months, these are the only two deaths I have experienced.

Also, @Shadowdrake, I have reason to doubt - at least in my case - your claim that an egg needs ~500 clicks to hatch. I have seen in my own experience with my own eggs that they will not hatch until I have 1000 or more clicks or 500 unique clicks. If that is what you mean, then we can find a place to agree, but other than that, I have also had eggs get to 900 clicks at 4 days, and yet, it will not hatch until it gained more clicks.

Lastly, I found @Fuzzbucket's reply to stand out, frankly. I wanted to mention that the reason why I accumulate so many clicks(6,000 to 8,000 per dragon) is likely because I use maybe 7 different hatcheries. Due to your responses, I would guess that sounds like a large amount, but I personally see no problem in it. My two Fire Gem eggs are in fact the only two eggs I've had get sick in ~3 weeks.

So, although I understand your concern, I am going to continue with how I care for my eggs and dragons. I feel that fogging is not in my personal interest, and that I feel the excess clicks are necessary. I hope you can understand my decision, and I am in no way trying to convince you your way doesn't work. Everyone has their own ways to work things, and I have found that my system works for me and how I hatch my dragons. If you have anymore concerns, please feel free to message me. Also, thank you for your answers to my question.

Edited by Biscuit19131

@Biscuit19131 The less time an egg has left, the less views it actually needs to hatch- yours take so many because you're adding them when they're very young. You can do what you want, but you are absolutely putting yourself at more risk when you add early, and either way, they cannot hatch before the 4 day mark anyhow.

Also, they're not clicks, they're views- but generally, getting a lot of views very quickly will make something sick, especially in the first 24 hours.

This is why your eggs keep dying. They can't hatch until the timer reads 3days 23 hours no matter how many views they have. With the holiday event there is also far far more traffic on those sites. I also use a lot of hatcheries but not until later. Feel free to browse my scroll, I've been here almost ten years and rarely get anything sick and my view counts average much lower.

Even if your strategy works normally, it will not during a release and particurly, hoilday releases. Don't fog f you want, but you should still wait 24 hours before putting them anywhere if you want them to survive. The hatcheries are just overloaded at the moment. Good luck

Sickness is not because an egg gets too many views too fast, but because it gets too many views too soon. An egg that's almost out of time can go from 0 to 10k views without getting sick, but a new egg will get sick with just 100 views. There are certain eggs that take a lot to hatch, but still will not get get sick if put in hatcheries at 4 days with 0 views unless it gets over 5000 views.

As you can see here, I can regularly hatch eggs with under 300 unique views. If your egg is already fully cracked that means it has almost enough views to hatch, and if it is full cracked way before 4 days it will only need one single view to pop it open.

Edited by Shadowdrake

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

This is why your eggs keep dying. They can't hatch until the timer reads 3days 23 hours no matter how many views they have. With the holiday event there is also far far more traffic on those sites. I also use a lot of hatcheries but not until later. Feel free to browse my scroll, I've been here almost ten years and rarely get anything sick and my view counts average much lower.

Even if your strategy works normally, it will not during a release and particurly, hoilday releases. Don't fog f you want, but you should still wait 24 hours before putting them anywhere if you want them to survive. The hatcheries are just overloaded at the moment. Good luck

Thank you for all of your concerns, but I can't help but take the first line of your response passive aggressive. I can assure, these are my first deaths, and I have survived the Halloween 2018 event with maybe 1 egg getting sick if at all. Thank you for your good luck, but I feel as if there is some passive aggression lurking here. I can understand if you do not agree with my strategy, but it works for me and I will continue to use it as it is not affecting others. I apologize if I come across as passive aggressive or defensive.

@Dragon_Arbock, thank you for informing me about views and clicks. And although I do know that eggs need to be at 4 days to hatch, I do appreciate the help.

@Shadowdrake, thank you as well for clarifying about sickness for me. That does help, and I gladly appreciate your concern.

It's not passive aggression - they're trying to help you avoid losing any more eggs. I understand it's no fun to be told your understanding of something is incorrect. I sincerely do. No one likes being in that position. But that's all that's happening here. You're being gently corrected in your understanding of how egg sickness works. They don't get "used" to things like real living creatures do, so your idea that they can be harmed by early fogging simply does not apply. Sickness for Dragon Cave eggs is a very simple phenomenon. The more time the egg has left on its timer, between 7d0h and 4d1 the fewer views/UVs/clicks it can safely have without becoming sick or dying. At/after 4d0h, they can hatch. That's absolutely it. There is no possible way for fogging to make things worse except if you leave it fogged for all seven days until it dies (which, of course, you're not going to do in any event unless you're making zombie fodder.)

Edited by Lurhstaap

Anyone can play the way they want, but the game is coded a certain way and putting to hatcheries too early is punished mainly to ensure people don't login, catch, add to hatcheries and forget for a week - the sickness was supposed to ensure people check back after the day they catched eggs but before they can catch more (though in practise it's mostly a 3rd party troll tool that allows other people to kill your stuff, because, as we can see here, certain people do the catch, add and forget way and hardly ever loose an egg, not  to mention, this doesn't require to login into the game anyway - the more reasons to rework the Sickness machanic or jsut get rid of it...).

I can just reassure you that your egg doesn't need so many views. I often hatch eggs at below 200 unique views (the second stat) but that's true they need to be about 3days left or less then (they hatch if they get enough regular views - the first stat, you can rise it a bit manyally by refreshing your scroll page - the one with your username inthe URL). I personally never fog eggs(Fogging gives me no benefit because I was never attacked by a viewbomber), only hatchlings(so they die and become zombie fodders without taking away the very limited Kills - this is what I need the below 200UV stat for - because they can die ungendered if they have so few views, and I need S1 zombies to complete my goal).
This is a timeout hatchie(fogged until death after hatching):  https://dragcave.net/view/2LWmx It shows that egg doesn't need so many views to hatch.
And here are 2 adult zombie fodders(I'll kill them sooner or later, or release if I get the zombie form another fodder first), they show how few views adults need to grow up: https://dragcave.net/view/hC65a https://dragcave.net/view/vM4F4 (0 Clicks, as you can see, Clicks are completely not needed :o)

(posting view pages since these don't grow anymore)
Just so you know how things are. And these aren't my lowest stat dragons, just checked a small section of my dragons to link some examples^^
I'm just wondering why you want super high stats so badly? It serves no purpose other than pure statistics?
Not fogging but just waiting one day before adding to hatcheries is the most middleground between your way and what people say. I pretty much do that myself most of the time. I never get Sick-dead eggs and I never fog eggs - and I don't need to login to hatch them:) Also, if I add to a few hatcheries, they hatch at 4days mark successfully^^ (I think I'm on DC for at least 5 years so far?)
Like I'm not telling you how to play, but that's basically how the game wants to be played - continuing your way, you do risk eggs dying on you without 3rd party ingerence - if you want to take that risk consciously, that's fine - just ensuring you ARE conscious of the risk you're taking:) After all, those Firegems eggs DID die on you^^;

Edited by VixenDra

2 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Anyone can play the way they want, but the game is coded a certain way and putting to hatcheries too early is punished mainly to ensure people don't login, catch, add to hatcheries and forget for a week - the sickness was supposed to ensure people check back after the day they catched eggs but before they can catch more (though in practise it's mostly a 3rd party troll tool that allows other people to kill your stuff, because, as we can see here, certain people do the catch, add and forget way and hardly ever loose an egg, not  to mention, this doesn't require to login into the game anyway - the more reasons to rework the Sickness machanic or jsut get rid of it...).

I can just reassure you that your egg doesn't need so many views. I often hatch eggs at below 200 unique views (the second stat) but that's true they need to be about 3days left or less then (they hatch if they get enough regular views - the first stat, you can rise it a bit manyally by refreshing your scroll page - the one with your username inthe URL). I personally never fog eggs(Fogging gives me no benefit because I was never attacked by a viewbomber), only hatchlings(so they die and become zombie fodders without taking away the very limited Kills - this is what I need the below 200UV stat for - because they can die ungendered if they have so few views, and I need S1 zombies to complete my goal).
This is a timeout hatchie(fogged until death after hatching):  https://dragcave.net/view/2LWmx It shows that egg doesn't need so many views to hatch.
And here are 2 adult zombie fodders(I'll kill them sooner or later, or release if I get the zombie form another fodder first), they show how few views adults need to grow up: https://dragcave.net/view/hC65a https://dragcave.net/view/vM4F4 (0 Clicks, as you can see, Clicks are completely not needed :o)

(posting view pages since these don't grow anymore)
Just so you know how things are. And these aren't my lowest stat dragons, just checked a small section of my dragons to link some examples^^
I'm just wondering why you want super high stats so badly? It serves no purpose other than pure statistics?
Not fogging but just waiting one day before adding to hatcheries is the most middleground between your way and what people say. I pretty much do that myself most of the time. I never get Sick-dead eggs and I never fog eggs - and I don't need to login to hatch them:) Also, if I add to a few hatcheries, they hatch at 4days mark successfully^^ (I think I'm on DC for at least 5 years so far?)
Like I'm not telling you how to play, but that's basically how the game wants to be played - continuing your way, you do risk eggs dying on you without 3rd party ingerence - if you want to take that risk consciously, that's fine - just ensuring you ARE conscious of the risk you're taking:) After all, those Firegems eggs DID die on you^^;

Thank you so much for your input! In fact, this has to be my favorite reply yet. I deeply appreciate the new information you have brought to my attention. Now I understand your prospective better, and I can see what you mean. I do want to quickly correct myself and mention that while I was saying clicks, I did mean views, but I didn't check DragonCave for verification, which I now regret. Either way, I see how you all just want to see my dragons thrive and ensure that my dragons don't get sick, but I will continue the style in which I play. I understand the risks, but I find in my own opinion that it is more preferable than putting an egg in one hatchery after having it for a day. To answer your question about wanting high stats, I need to point out that I don't care how many views or clicks I get, as long as the egg hatches and the hatchling grows up. If you're alluding to my mention that I ensure each egg has 1000 views or more, then it is because that is how many views my egg needs to hatch.

@Lurhstaap, I understand that they are trying to help me in not losing any more eggs, and I do respect that and appreciate the sentiment. I took it as passive aggressive due to the implication that I am the main reason why my eggs are dying, though that could not be their meaning. Text doesn't have a tone to read off of. While I do understand that these dragons are not real creatures, that is how my mind justifies why I do not fog. Lastly, I want to point out that in your vocabulary, you suggest that my way of playing is incorrect, and that I'm being stubborn with people about not doing it a different way. I can admit I am being stubborn and do not wish to change, but that is mostly because I see no harm in it. I just feel that there is no correct or incorrect way - you can play however it suits you. For example, VixenDra mentions that she is attempting Undead dragons. Even though many people value them, I have made the choice to never attempt for a Neglected dragon or an Undead dragon.

Once again, I am deeply appreciative of your replies and concerns, and I am taking them all into consideration. Although, I will continue my practices including eggs and their stats.

Well...your eggs are dying because of you, unfortunately. You control what happens to them. That's true for all of us. If we choose to not add our eggs to hatcheries, they can die. If we choose to add them to many hatcheries, they can die. Everyone plays differently, so you do you if this is how you have the most fun with the game. Just be mindful of the risks, as it's not really fair to tell the rest of us that we don't know how to play because you have your own method. Because, to be honest, you're the only person here who seems passive aggressive to me.

20 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

Well...your eggs are dying because of you, unfortunately. You control what happens to them. That's true for all of us. If we choose to not add our eggs to hatcheries, they can die. If we choose to add them to many hatcheries, they can die. Everyone plays differently, so you do you if this is how you have the most fun with the game. Just be mindful of the risks, as it's not really fair to tell the rest of us that we don't know how to play because you have your own method. Because, to be honest, you're the only person here who seems passive aggressive to me.

I'm sorry that I come across as passive aggressive. I have no intent to be so. I feel it is important that I point out that I have no problem with how you play the game. That is how you want to play, and I am in no place to judge that. I am having fun with the game with how I play it, and I feel no implication to change. And while I do acknowledge that my eggs died, they were my first and only deaths. The reason why you may interpret me as being passive aggressive is because I feel as if I am being told that how I play the game is completely wrong and that my eggs are all going to die while you say that anyone can play as they want. I am not saying that is what you mean or what you are saying, but you can't change how I feel. I apologize greatly for any passive aggression or anger that you may perceive from my posts, I am only trying to explain why I play the game that way so I may have some peace with how I care for my eggs and dragons.

@Biscuit19131

I guess people are just worried as you haven't experienced the Christmas holiday craze on DC yet, and that's a holiday where often more people have the time to spend with their dragons and looking at the hatcheries than maybe on Halloween or the normal times of the year, plus they just don't want you to risk precious dragons that you can only replace the next year, if they die.

Edited by Astreya

1 minute ago, Astreya said:

@Biscuit19131

I guess people are just worried as you haven't experienced the Christmas holiday craze on DC yet, and that's a holiday where often more people have the time to spend with their dragons and looking at the hatcheries than maybe on Halloween, and they just don't want you to risk precious dragons that you can only replace the next year, if they die.

That does make more sense. Thank you all for your input, and I do genuinely feel sorry for any discontent that has occurred. I do hear your concerns, and I am taking them to heart. I am observing my dragons and eggs carefully, as I will be out of school until January 2nd. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

44 minutes ago, Biscuit19131 said:

That does make more sense. Thank you all for your input, and I do genuinely feel sorry for any discontent that has occurred. I do hear your concerns, and I am taking them to heart. I am observing my dragons and eggs carefully, as I will be out of school until January 2nd. I hope you all have a lovely Christmas.

I have been watching this thread and thought I would give my input.

I can personally confirm that it isn't how FAST the eggs gain views, necessarily.

A big part of it is age, I find.

My OWN method for hatching involves leaving my eggs fogged until they are about 4 days left ( At which point they are considered ER and can hatch for me the minute they get enough views to do so)

They are basically safe from outside interference in that case until I am ready to deal with them.

I THEN unfog and toss them into hatcheries... at which point they tend to gain views QUITE rapidly until they have enough to hatch. :)

Usually I do this when I am available to watch them just in case.

Everybody has their own particular method I am sure and you are more than free to choose to do what you want with your eggs. They are YOURS after all. 

I have heard of people who like to get as many views as possible on their dragons without losing them to sickness, I have heard of people that like to raise dragons with them getting views only... no clicks. Point is there are a variety of ways to play AND if that is yours you are free to continue. I don''t get the sense that anyone was ATTACKING you for it per se. I think that they merely wanted you to be aware of the risks AND to understand that things at holiday time aren't QUITE the same as they are the rest of the year. Stuff gets views MUCH more quickly on releases and that is especially true during holiday time. :) AND yes, keeping an especially sharp eye on them this time of year is a good idea. Especially since as Astreya pointed out, you might lose dragons right now that could mean a whole YEAR of waiting to replace.

Edited by JavaTigress