pinkgothic

Count a held clutch as a single egg for egg limits

Since the scroll-owner can only pick one of the clutch anyway, it would make sense to reduce what the egg clutch counts as.

Differently worded: It doesn't really make any sense for a clutch of four to count as four eggs if you can only keep one.

Narratively, you *are* holding all of them for a while ;)

But yeah, I support this, especially since it's not only for 3 weeks of holiday breeding, but also Celestials, 12 times a year each.

Support. While I do understand why they count separately (as Ruby Eyes said, you *are* holding them all, for a short period), since you can only ever keep one and it does affect your limits in a huge way... Yeah, support.

Do... do they not already function this way? Daaaang. Yeah counting the whole clutch as a single egg would be more intuitive. Do you just jettison the whole clutch when you breed a holiday and only have like one or two spaces currently?

4 minutes ago, Marrionetta said:

Do... do they not already function this way? Daaaang. Yeah counting the whole clutch as a single egg would be more intuitive. Do you just jettison the whole clutch when you breed a holiday and only have like one or two spaces currently?

Nope, that would actually get you above the limits. See this screenshot:

But any additional egg bred from other parents will auto-abandon, even if after selecting an egg you would have space available.

Edited by Ruby Eyes
clarifications

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Nope, that would actually get you above the limits. But any additional egg bred will auto-abandon, even if after selecting an egg you would have space available.

ಠ_ಠ

this topic has my full support

js if i had as many dogs as i wanted and i somehow was irresponsible enough to have a whoopsie litter of puppies, but i wanted to keep one bab, i would probably not drive all the pups to the pound and this analogy is flawed but let's be real our in character player who draws likenesses of dragons on their records scroll probably has the good sense to enforce their own boundaries of caregiving abilities while carting off their extra clutched eggos

Edited by Marrionetta

I cannot interpret that face XD

So let's try it with an example.

Situation: 2 eggslots, 2 overall slots are available.

Step 1: breed holiday pair #1, get 4 eggs to pick from.

Step 2: do not yet pick an egg

Situation now: minus 2 eggslots are available - you're 2 above the limit even though you may keep only 1 egg from the clutch above.

Step 3: breed holiday pair #2, auto-abandon all of them.

Step 4: anger, rage, frustration.

Step 5: remember that you still need to pick an egg from pair #1 ;)

Situation at the end: 1 eggslot available, but all eggs from pair #2 are floating on the AP.

I couldn't imagine a situation where it matters because so far I've almost always bred to auto-abandon or I keep going back in between clutches to check egg limits and what I've kept. But Ruby Eyes gave a great example, and combined with how you only have one shot at a certain egg per YEAR (!) I'd love for clutches to not count towards egg limits, to reduce the amount of heartbreak of simple mistakes.

I feel like this could be avoided by just picking an egg right away once the clutch is bred. The site does already prompt you to do so. I just don't see a point to hold onto the entire clutch for an extended period of time, given that all will be abandoned eventually.

51 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I feel like this could be avoided by just picking an egg right away once the clutch is bred. The site does already prompt you to do so. I just don't see a point to hold onto the entire clutch for an extended period of time, given that all will be abandoned eventually.

Honestly, I feel the same. Every time I breed my Holidays, I pick one egg right away instead of holding on to all of them for a longer while. I might do that while on mobile because I want to see the codes of the eggs I bred before picking one, but even then I won't breed the rest of my holidays until I've selected one egg to keep.

Don't get me wrong here, I have nothing against this suggestion at all. I could support it because it does not hurt my playstyle in any way at all.

18 minutes ago, Sazandora said:

Honestly, I feel the same. Every time I breed my Holidays, I pick one egg right away instead of holding on to all of them for a longer while. I might do that while on mobile because I want to see the codes of the eggs I bred before picking one, but even then I won't breed the rest of my holidays until I've selected one egg to keep.

Don't get me wrong here, I have nothing against this suggestion at all. I could support it because it does not hurt my playstyle in any way at all.

Me too. But I know people do slip up...

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Me too. But I know people do slip up...

This is so very true. Tentative support.

1 hour ago, The Dragoness said:

I agree with this in most instances. But I read pinkgothic's (or someone else's) post elsewhere that sort of made this make sense.

Situation:

Have 2 Holiday x Holiday pairs to breed. Want one egg of each holiday to keep.

Breed pair #1 and get eggs from both holidays. 

Decide to breed pair #2 before picking the egg to keep from pair #1 in case pair #2 gives only eggs from one of the holidays.

Breed pair #2, but OH NO! All eggs from that clutch are abandoned due to being over limit. Did not know that held eggs counted against limit.

Insert random foul language here.

Of course once you know that this is what will happen, you can avoid it (If you have a platinum trophy!) by making sure that you have enough spaces available for 2 of any size clutch) but in the meantime you have lost a whole year in your lineage building.

Edited by purplehaze

Actually, all you need is a bronze trophy at most. Because you get to hold the whole clutch if you have only one open egg slot. (I tested this today. Bred when I had 7 eggs, and got to choose which egg from my multi-clutch to keep.) It's still a valid point, though, that there are situations where the current mechanism hinders game play in a way that is wholly unnecessary. So, I upgrade my support from "tentative" to "full". ;) 

5 hours ago, purplehaze said:

But I read pinkgothic's (or someone else's) post elsewhere that sort of made this make sense.

Situation:

Have 2 Holiday x Holiday pairs to breed. Want one egg of each holiday to keep.

Breed pair #1 and get eggs from both holidays. 

Decide to breed pair #2 before picking the egg to keep from pair #1 in case pair #2 gives only eggs from one of the holidays.

Breed pair #2, but OH NO! All eggs from that clutch are abandoned due to being over limit. Did not know that held eggs counted against limit.

Insert random foul language here.

Yep, that was me, trying to avoid clutch mono-culture sadness and manoeuvring into a completely different sadness instead.

In my naivité I thought "held eggs let you go over the egg limit" meant "they don't count toward the egg limit". Since I'm such a meticulous planner, that curveball threw me off so badly that I was so crestfallen and demolished I nearly cancelled going to a Christmas party I signed up for. c_c You know, since one stupidity clearly isn't enough. (Thankfully forced myself to go anyway, only had a few little cries, and then there was laser tag. So I feel a lot better now, on the order of "omg best day of my life". It's physically impossible for me to not to feel good after laser tag. ❤️)

It was absolutely my mistake - I was going on an erroneous assumption - but I am not suggesting this for my sake. I've learnt my lesson now, so I will never make this particular mistake again.

Other people, though? I feel like it's a really easy misunderstanding to run into.

Support. It's not super intuitive that all four eggs would count against you if you can only keep one. e: To clarify, I was already aware, I just don't think it'd be intuitive for a new player.

Edited by Guillotine

I actually think it is intuitive and logical that all eggs present in your scroll count for the egg limit, regardless of how much time they'll stay here.

I'm not opposed to the suggestion per se as it won't affect my playstyle but I'm not overly fond of the idea. I do think it's kind of an easy way out for a problem that can be easily avoided with a little bit of planning. ^^' The only situation I can see it being useful is for the holiday x holiday pairings mentioned above; but again with some planning it's avoidable.

I do think there should be some warning about the eggs taking slots if you don't pick one right away. That could help people about forgetting this detail, maybe?

If they take up an egg slot, you should get to keep them. Slots aren't how many you can physically carry/hold, just how many you can care for at a given time.

Since you're not caring for them (just tidying up a bit before you run them out to the cave), it doesn't make sense that they'd be in your creche taking up room, rather than a box/bag by the door, waiting to go.

Slots aren't how many you can physically carry/hold, just how many you can care for at a given time.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

This suggestion has my full support! Especially since I also wasn't aware that the bred eggs, if held for longer than a moment, actually DO count as being fully held by your egg limits. Like, I've bred for holidays before and never ran into that by accident, much to my good luck. It's not intuitive to a new player at all, I can vouch for that! Since I didn't know until this very second it even existed.