osmarks

Non-emptying Holiday biome

I'm not sure what you mean by an alternative to egg limits, but once a lot of people get locked the holiday biome *will* always contain 3 eggs, or at least it will most of the time. That's happened since the holiday biome was introduced, after the first rush the eggs just sit there because no one can pick them up. I'm not sure I understand how your suggestion would differ from that?

The idea is that it would always be filled, meaning that it wouldn't be necessary to have the 2 CB holidays limit.

Then you're just combining unlimited and this suggestion. It's not an alternative if for it to make sense you'd also need the previous suggestion.

This on its own you already have once the rush is over.

As said in the other thread, I'm not sure how badly this is needed, given 1) more eggs are produced when more people are active, so they'd raise if limits were raised, and 2) right now things tend to just sit there untaken anyway.

I mean, I'm not AGAINST it, I just don't think it'd be terribly needed (especially if holidays were added cheaply to the market)

I wouldn't mind this. It gets annoying after the hundredth try of CB-hunting and the biome being empty in 5 seconds. I've yet to ever find it past the 5 second mark still full of eggs so...I'm not sure where people are getting the "eggs sitting there untaken" thing from. I've never seen that in the holiday biome. Ever. Whenever I hunt, it's empty 99% of the time and you have maybe 5 seconds to spam-click to death and pray you got anything. Maybe that will change at the end of the week but...with the constant increase of new players grabbing these eggs too compared to last year, I'm not betting on it.

I find it kinda pointless to have a limited event and let the biome sit empty for 4+ minutes at a time between egg drops that don't last very long at all. Especially when the eggs have a CB limit to them as is. Just my two cents.

Edited by animatedrose

Not sure I like a suggestion that would only work well if a separate suggestion was also implemented. There is no reason for a constantly-there non-emptying biome as long as the limits remain in place, we *already* have the biome at a stand-still by the second day after most people get locked (at least that's how it's happened past holidays). I really don't see any reason at all for there to be a non-emptying biome as long as limits are still in place, pretty much everyone can get their fill right now as it is, and we do already have a 'non-emptying' biome once many people do.

Maybe an egg could also poof back out of existence if it sits there more than a minute, or something?  Only for the holiday biome; I'm not trying to reformat the entire cave :D.

18 hours ago, Pilauli said:

Maybe an egg could also poof back out of existence if it sits there more than a minute, or something?  Only for the holiday biome; I'm not trying to reformat the entire cave :D.

What for - in the hope of more hollies? No support for that one, sorry!

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What for - in the hope of more hollies? No support for that one, sorry!

Why not? 

I would assume that holiday eggs work, at least to some extent, like regular eggs when it comes to 'poofing' like with the 5 minute shuffle. I would assume that if the unwanted eggs 'poofed' they would just come back later. Eventually everyone will take all the good eggs that spawned, and all we will have left is the unwanted eggs 'poofing' in and out all the time. It's the same idea regarding suggestions to make the regular biomes move faster... If 'good' eggs appear faster, sooner or later all that will be left is the 'bad' ones. 

The only way I could see 'poofing' working would be if it was coupled with the poofed breed simply not respawning. So, say in one hour breed A has 20 eggs that 'poof', the game realizes those eggs aren't as wanted and just doesn't spawn as many of them in the next hour. That's the only way I could see poofing actually being beneficial.

9 hours ago, Cinspawn said:

Why not? 

That would be like saying the same for regular biomes. Keep poofing till there are only metals in there. A bit of patience harms no-one. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That would be like saying the same for regular biomes. Keep poofing till there are only metals in there. A bit of patience harms no-one. 

It's not the same. It's to remove caveblockers from the Holiday biome to give more people a chance to get what they want, because the biome and people's time around the holidays are limited. 

When it comes to holiday dragons I just want everyone to get their share, and poofing seems a good way to keep the hunting game more active (instead of "oh, three eggs stuck for the next 4 minutes. Guess I'll wait it out") 

More diverse eggs = more activity = more fun, imo. 

The holiday biome looks pretty active to me.  Waiting it out is the same as for any new release, except that with the limits, those with none and a dud connection have a better chance than during regular releases.

No holiday egg is a real cave blocker. Not like dead commons.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I think I love this idea better then the Unlimited or 4cb limit. TJ could always fix it where the eggs are unlimited but refreshed every say 5 minutes

1 hour ago, KuroYukia said:

TJ could always fix it where the eggs are unlimited but refreshed every say 5 minutes

They already replenish every 5 minutes, so I don't see how this is all that different to what we currently have. Each time I look at the holiday biome, there seem to be eggs there (or it's only a minute or two away from the next 5 minute drop) so I don't really think any change is needed. I can't imagine that people are really going to struggle that much getting the eggs they're looking for over the whole holiday period. Maybe you won't get them all instantly, but there's plenty of opportunity and I don't think a little patience is such a bad price to pay. 

26 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

They already replenish every 5 minutes, so I don't see how this is all that different to what we currently have. Each time I look at the holiday biome, there seem to be eggs there (or it's only a minute or two away from the next 5 minute drop) so I don't really think any change is needed. I can't imagine that people are really going to struggle that much getting the eggs they're looking for over the whole holiday period. Maybe you won't get them all instantly, but there's plenty of opportunity and I don't think a little patience is such a bad price to pay. 

The difference would be like the Holiday dome wouldn't run out of eggs and have that " You look around and it's empty" It would always have eggs, if it sat there five minutes it would refresh so there would be no holiday blockers. I've ended up waiting about 10 minutes between eggs, or the minute I go in they got emptied

Support.

First step to make limits completely unnecessary.

Should also apply to the new holiday breed.

Excuse for keeping limits at any point would be all even more invalid than it is currently (with unmoving biomes during 3 days of holiday release we have anyway!)

Sollution to all "but I want to keep holidays non-hectic and easy for players"(ekhm, it would still be just the events that are so time-consuming andhectic... sorry,but I spent hours on the fort this year, it's not even 1% of its final form yet, vs release catch that took me literally 2 seconds... you know, enter the biome, click any egg, enter another biome -because why not - and click any egg - done! I'll allow myself to skip all the bulky descriptionw of what pain the event is being. TBH, it was also true for Halloween, release was quick and stress free to me, but the event... the event took me quite a while even though I avoided reading the story...)

currently, the Holiday biome is getting emptied at all (still, it DOES get stuck at times!) ONLY because not enough eggs are spawned in it.

Edited by VixenDra

I support this idea and would actually like to see it implemented in non-Holiday biomes as well. Never really understood why they need to emptiable in the first place. If there is some good reason behind it which I have not thought of I may reconsider, but for now I'll just give my full support to this suggestion.

1 hour ago, Nagapie said:

I support this idea and would actually like to see it implemented in non-Holiday biomes as well. Never really understood why they need to emptiable in the first place. If there is some good reason behind it which I have not thought of I may reconsider, but for now I'll just give my full support to this suggestion.

I feel like the website would be a LOT slower if it had to create new eggs every time one is taken out, instead of just having a set amount generated at once that are then depleted like stock.

As such, I'm kinda impartial to this suggestion. I certainly don't want it for non-Holiday biomes though.

26 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I feel like the website would be a LOT slower if it had to create new eggs every time one is taken out, instead of just having a set amount generated at once that are then depleted like stock.

As such, I'm kinda impartial to this suggestion. I certainly don't want it for non-Holiday biomes though.

No-one said it would have to do it every time an egg is picked up though. That is obviously suboptimal. It could simply generate another batch once the entirety of the first one is picked up, essentially instantiating an additional refresh if the eggs happen to run out despite the site's original estimates. Most of the time the egg generation would work as it always does in normal biomes since they don't usually run out of eggs. Implementing this suggestion would merely serve to decrease the amount of time you'd have to wait for eggs to respawn during busy times like holidays and new releases. As such, I too do want it mainly for holiday purposes, but honestly do not see a strong reason against having it in place for other biomes too. Might as well keep things consistent even if it wouldn't even affect normal biomes that much at all. All in all, I'm not that passionate about getting this in the normal biomes either - I just like consistency and felt like mentioning the possibility.

Edited by Nagapie

On Saturday, January 05, 2019 at 6:37 AM, osmarks said:

Presumably egg generation is just one quick random generation thing, which really shouldn't take more than a few milliseconds, so I don't see the problem. @RealWilliamShakespeare

Considering that hourly lag--the one time where the site generates a very large number of eggs--can be quite substantial, I disagree. Even 5-minute lag can be noticeable.

I still don't see how this would help.