angelicdragonpuppy

Unlimited CB Xmas/Valentines - done in a BALANCED way

Looks like it's true. I've just seen two holly eggs with only one other egg turning up in between. Both hollies sat for several seconds before being picked up. That's definitely unexpected.

I still support this and believe it would be 100% painless and merry but as with many old and useful suggestions I’ve given up hope it’ll happen

On 12/19/2018 at 8:24 AM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

TJ's stated reason for being against unlimited Xmas/Valentines was this:

but the motive is better served by keeping demand (comparatively) low and ensuring that people who missed out in previous years have an easier time grabbing the limited eggs. 

I find this frustrating to the point of being depressing, actually. If one wanted to make it easier and less stressful to grab limited eggs, why would the best solution be to artificially suppress demand when one has the capability to simply INCREASE THE SUPPLY? Drop three times as many eggs and it will be much easier for everyone who missed out in previous years, has limited time on the holidays, has a terrible Internet connection, or so on to grab eggs. TJ doesn't need to enforce the holiday season being more inconvenient and boring for the rest of the userbase to make this happen-- he just needs to change ONE variable on his own dashboard.

Sigh.

@tjekan I don't think it's a matter of him being unable to do so, but a matter of him being not willing to change this.

That's why I find it so frustrating. In the real world, sure, the best way to end a shortage might be to ration the supplies (thus suppressing demand.) But in the real world, you can't change a variable in the code and make twice as many supplies appear. If you could, that would ALWAYS be the best way to end a shortage.

Enforcing a ration on everyone in order to end an artificially created, completely unnecessary shortage does not make me feel an increase of holiday spirit.

Was expressing the same old frustrations with this again last night as my friend was struggling to get CBs of certain Xmas breeds because the biome was not, and clearly could not move. She couldn't pick anything up, and neither could I, or anyone else watching, presumably. This kept happening over and over again and she had to stay up very late to get one of the ones she wanted, and I find it so frustrating after being able to help her get her CBs during Halloween. All I can do now, and during VDay when it comes is... Wring my hands, I guess? 

It's not fun for anyone.

Agree wholeheartedly with Tjekan. There is such an easy solution that would benefit everybody and no real reason not to do it. It is so, so frustrating to look at, and be a part of this entire situation knowing this. It's supposed to be fun. It's supposed to be a season of sharing. It's neither.

Edited by BrazenChase

also, I came fairly early to catch my eggs, and the biomes were already not moving nearly at all

the limits are just not needed

all we need is a higher spawn rate in general: for the Holiday biome as well as for all new releases.

Edited by VixenDra

Chiming in here with my experience with my first major breed limited holiday since coming back:

I was easily able to catch older breeds I'd missed. In fact I had the most trouble getting the most recent releases (2017 and 2018) because there were several times where the holiday biome was full of snow angels and rinbon dancers that I, and likely loads of others, couldn't grab due to the scroll limit. So instead I sat and sat and refreshed and waited hoping to find an egg I needed. I was fortunate to not be on rural internet for some of this (which was the bane of my existence during holloween) so I was actually to catch those coveted eggs when they did pop up, but others likely didn't.

So I fully support this idea. Increasing the limit will help keep the holiday biome moving, allowing people to catch more of what they need.

Why not just let everyone get 1 additional CB of a breed as each holiday swings around. Holiday it comes out: get 2. Next holiday, you can grab a third CB of that breed. Etc.

1 hour ago, Autopilot said:

Why not just let everyone get 1 additional CB of a breed as each holiday swings around. Holiday it comes out: get 2. Next holiday, you can grab a third CB of that breed. Etc.

The holiday biome would still be relatively stuck, especially on Ribbon Dancers

Also, the highest demand is for the latest 2 years breeds. The initial year being limited to 2 is the greatest problem right after the frozen Holiday biome

also 4 years to get CBs for a proper chcker is too much

Edited by Meh

2 hours ago, Autopilot said:

That's math. TJ said no math.

Also - do you mean that only applies to new holidays ? So anyone could grab (ummmm) 12 Hollies as they came in 12 years ago ? That's even MORE math, which TJ nixed.

Still supporting this idea, a year later. Last year when I was present for the Christmas event for the first time I was struggling with the same issue many others have mentioned here - the biomes did not move and that made it really annoying to try and grab CB eggs of the holiday breeds I was still missing. I managed to get all my CBs that year, but I imagine many others were not that fortunate if they had bad internet or couldn't camp the biomes all day waiting for them to move or refresh.

This year on the other hand, was simply boring since I had no hunting to do whatsoever. I could not come up with that many new checkers I would have wanted to start so I didn't even actively participate in the event like I did last year. Just bred a few eggs and dropped them in hatcheries. The AP with all of its messy eggs is simply not worth trawling through if you have anything better to do with your time. Had there been no limit I could have made it my goal to grab an additional 2 CBs of each breed like I did with Halloween, but given that I couldn't, I simply wasn't that interested in this year's event at all. I expect to be similarly bored with the coming Valentine's Day event if this keeps up, which is sad considering that these events seem like they are supposed to be the best times of the year for this game. Things would be so much livelier without the limits, just like on Halloween.

Edited by Nagapie

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's math. TJ said no math.

Also - do you mean that only applies to new holidays ? So anyone could grab (ummmm) 12 Hollies as they came in 12 years ago ? That's even MORE math, which TJ nixed.

That's where a "growing things" limit for CB holidays would work. "You can only have 2 growing CB hollies on your scroll. Ever."