borntobefree

BSA Nurture for hatchies

I looked but couldn't find a similar topic, if there is one I apologize. I'm really frustrated with the wait times for eggs, and hatchies and was thinking the other night how it would be nice to have a bsa dragon that can nurture hatchies like how the red dragons incubate the eggs, and drop a day off. but then I though further, and it would be nice to be able to do more than just one day, now it can be very costly, something like requiring a red dragon and a purebred Mother dragon(new dragon?) for each day you want to drop, so it would cost you 2 dragons to drop a day, it would be very costly but then again, you don't want it to easy, Not sure if this should go here or in dragon requests board. It's just kicking around the idea a bit but i wouldn't mind designing a new dragon for it, been wanting to try my hand at digital art(only kind I don't do) may have to paint it first and scan it in.

Or maybe a bsa to use on a red dragon in order to use incubate on a hatchie. Really interested in thoughts or ideas, please be nice in responses, you don't have to agree, but you do have to be courteous.

Well, what do you mean with "it would cost you x dragons" - would these dragons vanish from your scroll? Just be used for their mom-specific action? I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what you're going for. :(

Btw, ages ago, there was a Nurture BSA suggeted for Frilled Dragons that was simply supposed to take a day off a hatchling's timer. The BSA suggestion also got the stamp of approval from Lythiaren, the creator of the Frills.

This has certainly been suggested before; I can't find the thread now.

Wait - yes I can - here's one of them:

I think TJ took the view that being able to incubate eggs was quite enough. This game has always required patience, after all.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

If I remember correctly, instead of letting us nurture hatchlings, he changed the limits way back when. Before, we could have 4 egg (+ 1 bred) before everything else auto'ed, and only 3 hatchlings before we couldn't hunt any more (4 hatchlings for breeding, I think?), which means almost equal numbers of eggs and hatchlings. Now, with an egg-locked scroll, we can have twice as many hatchlings as we can have eggs.

Still, I wouldn't mind Nurture. Not one bit. :) 

I don't think you should be able to use it if you already incubated an egg. Too much strain on the poor thing XD

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think you should be able to use it if you already incubated an egg. Too much strain on the poor thing XD

Yeah I can agree with this. If you’ve used Incubate on the egg, you can’t Nurture the hatchie, and can only Nurture eggs that haven’t been incubated. A reason could be that the baby feels too crowded or is already weak from hatching earlier than normal or something :)

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd be okay with that, I rarely incubate but often find myself waiting on hatchlings to grow. 

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Then it would be absolutely useless to me, since I incubate nearly every egg that hits my scroll. ;) 

But I really don't usually worry about hurrying hatchies, either, because they seldom lock my scroll -- except for the rare times when the AP times are so low that we can almost insta-hatch the eggs.

12 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Then it would be absolutely useless to me, since I incubate nearly every egg that hits my scroll. ;) 

But I really don't usually worry about hurrying hatchies, either, because they seldom lock my scroll -- except for the rare times when the AP times are so low that we can almost insta-hatch the eggs.

In which case you wouldn't use Incubate, but Nurture your hatchlings instead... Just saying.

53 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I totally agree (though, like purplehaze, I incubate pretty much everything). 

I've posted at length in the past about the logic issues with a hatchling-'incubate', so I won't go into that here except to say that the OP didn't really give any *reason* for why this would be able to be done (or even what, exactly, would be done in-game). DC relies a lot on lore and world-logic (dragons can't breed with drakes, certain dragons have strong magic certain ones don't, etc etc), so when making a BSA you can't really just go 'oh I want this!', you have to think about how/why it would actually be done in-game. 

I'm also not sure why the OP specifies it would take a purebred mother? What does a mother's lineage have to do with speeding up a hatchling's growing time?

1 minute ago, olympe said:

In which case you wouldn't use Incubate, but Nurture your hatchlings instead... Just saying.

That is probably true. And I am not really against this, just think it is not something I would use a lot.

I also don't think the OP has really thought this out too well. The proposal seems sketchy at best.

Well, we can still discuss and/or hash out details. Since simple is best wherever DC is concerned, I'd say always take off 24 hours, and only use the actual BSA dragon in any way, shape or form. Everything else, like Incubate and Nurture being mutually exclusive, or which breed should be used is pretty much up there. I just figured I'd bring up frills because a) they're quite common, b) this would fit them and c) their creator approves.

Well if you want to get into the nature vrs nurture, debate, we can, if you are looking for real world applications of how nurtured offspring rear quicker healthier and are more productive in the animal kingdom and and those not nurtured have a much higher infant mortality rate(yes even humans). Nurturing offspring allows them to grow much faster into adults, allowing your DNA to survive, were as offspring not nurtured have less of a chance of passing on DNA(reproducing).

As for the "cost you" I don't want it to be easy to nurture time off the hatchie, especially for multiple days, you'll have to use a specific Dragon in combination with another dragon like the red since it already does the egg. The specific dragon would need to be a caveborn or purebred, so you can not army up those kinds, it can be or should be an uncommon dragon, and gluten in females, males would be even more uncommon. So this would be both a bsa request and a new dragon request I think...

btw how did you find that other thread, I have to admit I'm having issues finding threads that already cover the threads I want to post

The dragon that performs the bsa is the ones that need to be pureblooded, not the hatchies mother

I also incubate almost everything, like I'm just about locked up with hatchies right now, and its been 1/2 a day and I still can't do anything, this might not be so much of an issue for those who are platinum, but I'm not ever silver yet. from cb to adult if all goes well and you use bsa incubate you are still looking at 5 days at the very least. If you could nurture it would be 4 days to grow a dragon from a CB you caught yourself. That's still a long time.

@borntobefree No need to triple post with every new point, you can just edit your first comment with new add-ons ^^;

To search there’s a search bar in the top right corner on desktop and a magnifying glass there on mobile. If you just type in “nurture BSA” and you can specify if you want only titles, or both titles and comments in the thread and whatnot.

As for being purebred and stuff, I don’t really think that’s necessary? I agree that the BSA should have downsides but that could just be in the form of a fail rate, which I’d be okay with.

I think an interesting spin on the concept would be “teaching” or something, that could come from an intelligent dragon like Scripts, which obviously would teach the dragon thus helping them grow more mature? The fail rate could be in the form of the hatchling rejecting their teachings or being disinterested and would rather play. Obviously nurturing and caring for the dragon would work too, in which case I think of Pillows, but I just think teaching could be interesting.

Either way, if you think a new dragon species should be created for this BSA, then it belongs in Dragon Requests and not in this general Suggestions section. If you’d like any help with creating a dragon concept for this BSA I would be more than happy to help, in which case you can PM me!

There are issues with using uncommon dragons for BSAs that affect gameplay, and with Influence you aren't really going to have more females than males of a breed. So those two points really aren't going to work too well, in my opinion.

Suggesting a new breed for a new BSA is a good idea. Make sure the breed is well thought out, what characteristics are inherent in the breed, what it looks like, why it can do what it does. The guidelines for Dragon Requests spell that out well.

Originally when I came up with the Copper Dragon concept I had the idea of having them have a Nurture type BSA. I dropped the idea though because they're uncommon and metallic. TJ, if you're reading this, lol, that probably comes as a surprise. The BSA idea never got as far as your desk. It's a powerful BSA idea.

9 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Me too. I didn't say I'd ever use it - if it were to happen, I'd only use it on stuff from the AP that had already been low time, I think. But I still think one or the other and not both on any one egg.

8 hours ago, borntobefree said:

Well if you want to get into the nature vrs nurture, debate, we can, if you are looking for real world applications of how nurtured offspring rear quicker healthier and are more productive in the animal kingdom and and those not nurtured have a much higher infant mortality rate(yes even humans). Nurturing offspring allows them to grow much faster into adults, allowing your DNA to survive, were as offspring not nurtured have less of a chance of passing on DNA(reproducing).

As for the "cost you" I don't want it to be easy to nurture time off the hatchie, especially for multiple days, you'll have to use a specific Dragon in combination with another dragon like the red since it already does the egg. The specific dragon would need to be a caveborn or purebred, so you can not army up those kinds, it can be or should be an uncommon dragon, and gluten in females, males would be even more uncommon. So this would be both a bsa request and a new dragon request I think...

btw how did you find that other thread, I have to admit I'm having issues finding threads that already cover the threads I want to post

I use the search box, as Grey has said.

I see no reason at all that the dragoon with the BSA has to be extra special. But it is perfectly easy to "army up" CB and PB dragons. The real world analogy only SORT of holds up, though. Babies who are well looked after thrive. And a lot of us look after our hatchies very well indeed. Feed them regularly in hatcheries and so on. I don't know what you mean about "multiple days" - surely you aren't suggesting you can nurture a single hatchie more than once ?

I'm still not that interested in this. It smacks of simple impatience.

Just throwing this out there, but... What if Arias had the Nurture BSA?

They're clearly related to pinks, and the two breeds can even produce one another, and they are said to coo and have great magical abilities. They enjoy peace. I can just imagine an Aria wrangling up some noisy hatchlings and being like "okay, class, sit down and pay attention it's magic lesson time."

They seem like a pre-existing breed that would be good with toddler... ish dragons. 

If it could only be used on hatchies that hadn't been incubated, I'd be all for it. In fact, I would love if only s1 hatchies could be Nurtured. I imagine s2 hatchlings to be more like t(w)eens who have no time for hanging out with uncool mature dragons :lol:

3 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

They're clearly related to pinks, and the two breeds can even produce one another, and they are said to coo and have great magical abilities. They enjoy peace. I can just imagine an Aria wrangling up some noisy hatchlings and being like "okay, class, sit down and pay attention it's magic lesson time."

They seem like a pre-existing breed that would be good with toddler... ish dragons. 

If it could only be used on hatchies that hadn't been incubated, I'd be all for it. In fact, I would love if only s1 hatchies could be Nurtured. I imagine s2 hatchlings to be more like t(w)eens who have no time for hanging out with uncool mature dragons :lol:

Haha yes totally! Arias would be super cute!

6 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

hahaha thats almost exactly what I had in my head, a mother hen sort of dragon, lol, or a mother duck with a bunch of ducklings following her/ hogwarts professor all rolled into one, rotfl

I think Arias would be a nice fit.

I very much don't understand why cb or purebred would matter for this bsa, and the op hasn't given any reason for that beyond wanting to make it difficult to make an army of them? I have 105 Reds, 105 Incubates, and I'm perfectly allowed to have those. If we want to 'army up' in order to have more bsa opportunities, there is nothing wrong with that. I don't see any in-game reason for the cb/pb idea, or the bsa taking multiple dragons in general.

19 hours ago, borntobefree said:

The dragon that performs the bsa is the ones that need to be pureblooded, not the hatchies mother

Personally, I don't think that's a good idea. In everything, DC policy has always been that lineage doesn't matter - be it for breeding success (although some CB Prize owners may want to argue that point), breeding results, BSA use, BSA success, cooldowns, counting towards raffle entries and so on. The only exception to that rule are CB holiday limits. I don't think we need another exception here, telling people how to play the game.

I also don't think that taking off more than 24 hours of the timer is going to fly, not even with an abyssmal fail rate.

19 hours ago, borntobefree said:

I also incubate almost everything, like I'm just about locked up with hatchies right now, and its been 1/2 a day and I still can't do anything, this might not be so much of an issue for those who are platinum, but I'm not ever silver yet. from cb to adult if all goes well and you use bsa incubate you are still looking at 5 days at the very least. If you could nurture it would be 4 days to grow a dragon from a CB you caught yourself. That's still a long time.

Actually, it's just as much of an issue for us platinum trophy owners, believe it or not. And some of us actually remember times when it took a dragon between 6 and 8 days to grow up, as both earliest hatching time and earliest growing up time were between 3 and 4 days. (Yes, Incubate was a thing in the latter days of that practice. Still, most of the time, the random stuff made things grow up after closer to 8 days than 7 without incubate.) So, in essence, 5 days doesn't seem that bad. Not with the AP being full of low-time eggs. (Which wasn't a thing back then, either.)

20 hours ago, borntobefree said:

While I am not opposed to having a hatchie nurturing BSA per se, the above statement is not correct. While it's true that a young creature of any sort  who is not nurtured is at higher risk of early death, nurturing will not make them reach adulthood any sooner.  A bald eagle is adult at age 5, regardless of how much it was nurtured as a chick.  So, in  our world,  it doesn't work that way.  In DC's world it could be a different story.  I rather  like the idea of Arias, but the need of them to be purebred does not make sense to me.  What does a pb dragon have that any other does not?

14 minutes ago, Imzadi said:

While I am not opposed to having a hatchie nurturing BSA per se, the above statement is not correct. While it's true that a young creature of any sort  who is not nurtured is at higher risk of early death, nurturing will not make them reach adulthood any sooner.  A bald eagle is adult at age 5, regardless of how much it was nurtured as a chick.  So, in  our world,  it doesn't work that way.  In DC's world it could be a different story.  I rather  like the idea of Arias, but the need of them to be purebred does not make sense to me.  What does a pb dragon have that any other does not?

Yeah, that's perfectly true. You can die from LACK of nurture is all.