borntobefree

BSA Nurture for hatchies

I think they mean 4-5 days from the catching. But I agree - it's only three days max (with view management) before it's a hatchie and you can use the egg slot.

probably because I fog my dragons when I'm not online so that they don't get view bombed, so the views and clicks take longer to acquire, if you only use one site it can take quite a long time to get the necessary numbers for it to hatch or grow, It shouldn't be necessary to drop your eggs onto every view clicking site you can. so yes it takes onger to hatch and then grow those babies, when you are limited to one site at a time. Don't know but it seems wrong to use those sites , so even incubate really only usually drops about 12  to 20 hours off my total view time.I don't think of it as "correctly managing clicks" as much as , this is the way I want to manage my clicks, nice and slow.

@borntobefree Well, it's your choice to not use more sites, and you are completely free to do that. However, the fact remains that it really *doesn't* take as long as you are saying to grow a dragon, at least it doesn't *have* to. 48 hours, or 2 days, for a freshly-caught biome egg to hatch, if you use Incubate. If you get the hatchling enough views/stats so that it grows up at exactly 4 days, that's 3 more days. So 5 days total. Certainly not 7-8 days as you said, unless you are *very* overly-cautious about views and deliberately don't let them get many views at all. I keep everything, eggs and hatchlings, fogged whenever I'm away from the computer, and I still manage just fine with hatchlings growing up on time (give or take a couple hours).

I fog my eggs when I'm not online and I hide at night when I'm asleep to avoid VBing too, but I've never been stuck that long before. Unless all you're doing is raising zyus, prizes, and avatars and you're waiting until the eggs are under 4 days to begin dropping them into hatcheries, it SHOULDN'T ever take 7-8 days for anything to hatch and grow.

And this is from someone who DOES raise a ton of shimmerscales. Do they hatch/grow on time? Rarely, but they never take more than a few extra hours of ERing before they do. Never whole days.

I think that might just be a "you" problem, borntobefree. No offense.

How is it "wrong" to use the click sites? There's no on-site hatchery, so unless you frequent loads and loads and loads of mega-active forums where the signatures get lots of attention... Personally, I'd find that MORE time-consuming than using the hatcheries and a complete nightmare if I got VBed.

Edited by animatedrose

I've had a few get sick from using to many sites, and got lucky catching it, its why i don't use many sites at once, and i fog when I am not able to check in every hour or so, no clue how you guys are hatching them so quickly. Every time I try to do what you are doing they get sick, well one out of the bunch anyway. So while some may abuse a nurture and incubate it just makes the game play a little easier.

9 hours ago, animatedrose said:

I fog my eggs when I'm not online and I hide at night when I'm asleep to avoid VBing too, but I've never been stuck that long before. Unless all you're doing is raising zyus, prizes, and avatars and you're waiting until the eggs are under 4 days to begin dropping them into hatcheries, it SHOULDN'T ever take 7-8 days for anything to hatch and grow.

And this is from someone who DOES raise a ton of shimmerscales. Do they hatch/grow on time? Rarely, but they never take more than a few extra hours of ERing before they do. Never whole days.

I think that might just be a "you" problem, borntobefree. No offense.

How is it "wrong" to use the click sites? There's no on-site hatchery, so unless you frequent loads and loads and loads of mega-active forums where the signatures get lots of attention... Personally, I'd find that MORE time-consuming than using the hatcheries and a complete nightmare if I got VBed.

ALL this. It's exactly what I do. No sites for the first day (everything incubated); one or MAYBE two after that (and fogged every night) and add ERs as and when necessary - but only when I can keep an eye. 

4 hours ago, borntobefree said:

I've had a few get sick from using to many sites, and got lucky catching it, its why i don't use many sites at once, and i fog when I am not able to check in every hour or so, no clue how you guys are hatching them so quickly. Every time I try to do what you are doing they get sick, well one out of the bunch anyway. So while some may abuse a nurture and incubate it just makes the game play a little easier.

It would make things grow up earlier - but don't forget, when incubated, the stats KNOW that an egg is really a day younger, and sickness takes account of that. Put an unincubated egg in a fan site at 6 days - fine. Put an INCUBATED one in at 6 days (i.e. right after incubating) and it will be sick in no time flat. The same would be true of nurtured hatchies.

I suspect - given the words "too may sites" you are using more than animatedrose and I do. Try with two, and add at 4 days 12 hours if you aren't happy with the stats. My granddaughter only EVER uses ValleySherwood, and all her stuff grows up fine. Not by any means always at 4 days, but still. If she bothered to incubate and watch and add them to sites, she'd be fine too.

I only ever use three sites normally, add two more when I ER for speed WHEN I'm here to watch to Ward for sickness. Waiting the first day (or at least the first 15ish hours), even with Incubate, is pretty normal for me. Do I fudge things for shims because they are a butt to hatch? Yes, but they are among about three breeds that can handle getting put in earlier and usually end up ERing anyway.

How many sites are you using, borntobefree? Because I think our definitions of "too many" are the key here. I don't think anyone would be using all of the click sites at once straight out of the cave. Really only need two or three to begin with and adjust as you feel needed.

When I started, I used five hatcheries normally and reduced from there because mine kept getting sick and I got tired of fogging every few hours...and this was BEFORE I had to fog/hide every night due to VBing. But I was one of those who never really used to forum much at the start and had to figure this out on my own, before I found the Discord and started skimming the forums a bit more. Each hatchery is different so you have to personally gauge which ones work for you. How do you do that? You switch around between hatcheries until you find a few that you like. There's NOTHING wrong with using more than one hatchery but if you want to use one, that's fine, it'll just take longer for your stuff to hatch and grow because it only has one source of "food".

DC is already an "easy game". You're only really competing with people in the AP, biomes, the on-site CB prize raffle, and the Trade Hub. All of that is optional. The only real challenges are getting CB prizes, CB Golds (unless you have mega-fast internet and amazing reflexes from the get-go), and maybe creating Undeads and NDs if you're starting out and have no clue how they work. If you're on the forums, you have a Mentoring system right there to help you. On the Discord, you can ask and have a dozen people answer and want to help you learn stuff. The only time-consuming thing may be learning the specific time-based mechanics for some dergs and learning what dergs appear in what biomes. All of this is learned with experience and help. I'm a two-year player and I'm still learning new stuff TO THIS DAY. Short of putting everyone at Platinum rank right at the beginning and passing everyone a CB prize (both unlikely to ever happen btw), the game really CAN'T get much easier compared to others. No level-up system, no in-game battle tournament, no ranking system to tell you who's forever the best and who will forever be a loser, etc. There is VERY LITTLE that makes this game difficult and THAT is the point.

DC is also a game of patience. While I'd absolutely abuse the heck out of an Incubate-Nurture combo (because who WOULDN'T? be honest here), I also acknowledge that, based on TJ's past decisions and such, he's unlikely to let us have that kind of overpowered boost WITHOUT it having a massive drawback of some kind, if it was allowed at all. He's already said he regrets Incubate due to its effects. That kinda raises red flags for that and raises bigger ones for if he ever does allow Nurture.

For the record, I use five sites -- one "slow" site for newborn eggs, and once they're around 6d 9-10h range I put them in four other sites. During holidays I drop one or two hatcheries off the list. No issues with sickness so far.

I don't think Nurture needs any major drawbacks of any kind, other than not stacking with Incubate. A longer cooldown than Incubate is fine, but please no failure chance.

58 minutes ago, animatedrose said:

DC is already an "easy game".

I think this is key here, and something I must comment on. There are certain things in this game that are mega-hard (I only recently caught my first CB Gold after 10 years of playing!!), but *raising* dragons is honestly really very simple and easy. I know 'petsite'-type games where you have to log in every day to make your things grow, or do this-and-that-and-this to make sure the things are healthy and growing properly, etc etc. I've seen places where it takes multiple *weeks* to get the final stage of the animal/whatever, and it's based on things like other people deliberately clicking and/or 'feeding' your thing.

Compared to all that, DC is so very very simple. Grab a few eggs. Wait a day or two. Shove them into a couple hatcheries. In another day or two you have hatchlings! Do the same thing for them, and look, adults! They can grow up completely with not one single person clicking/'feeding' them, just 'viewing' them (among with tons of others in the hatcheries at the same time!). You don't have to check in every single day or click anything to make them advance to the 'next level'. Does it require a little bit of patience, sure, but what game doesn't? 

I do understand why a 'hatchling incubate' would be wanted, it seems logical to have one since we already have an 'egg incubate'. But I also think this game is plenty easy and simple and I feel iffy about handing users *too* many overpowered ways to get instant gratification. 

@HeatherMarie Agreed on the CB Gold part, thus why I mentioned that a few sentences into that paragraph. I certainly can't catch them myself either.

But yeah, compared to most games, DC is relatively simple on most fronts. As much as I'd want a hatchling Incubate...yeah, you start hitting iffy ground with overpowered abilities after a while. It's a balancing act and only TJ really has all the parts to juggle. We just have the parts he lets us see.

I don't think that I would use a hatchling incubate very often, but it would be nice to have as an option. No stacking with egg incubate is totally fine by me. I'm lazy/not super active so it's pretty common for me not to incubate, and having the chance to take a day off at hatchling stage would be handy if I decided I did want to speed things up after all. I could also see it being handy for breeds like Suns and Siyats that you might want to avoid incubating in order to hatch the variety you are going for.