Dragon_Arbock

Prevent items in Public two-way trades from receiving views

Because I think this is the only thing that's truly broken here. Not only because of sickness, but because it's abusable in other ways. Because eggs and hatchlings in trades can be viewed, they can;

-be made sick and be killed

-be hatched before they can be influenced

-be made to grow up

overall ruining trades for people

So, I propose that dragons in public trades be unable to gain views, much like fogging. This would apply to both the trade and the offers on the trade.

This would not apply to dragons in private trades, as I understand that would affect neglected processes.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

Would it be disable-able? Neglected experimenters aren't the only ones who want trade eggs to gain views under certain circumstances. At Halloween, for example, there was a lot of fairly frenetic trading things back and forth while still trying to hatch them quickly enough to pick up other things.

If it's able to be toggled on and off, I think it's a good idea.

1 minute ago, tjekan said:

Would it be disable-able? Neglected experimenters aren't the only ones who want trade eggs to gain views under certain circumstances. At Halloween, for example, there was a lot of fairly frenetic trading things back and forth while still trying to hatch them quickly enough to pick up other things.

If it's able to be toggled on and off, I think it's a good idea.

A toggle option might work, just wondering if that's a thing that would happen. We get very few 'optional' things.

Now, trade shielding sounds like a good idea. How about a Guardian BSA (Guard?) to prevent an egg or hatchling from gaining any views for a solid 24 hours. There's also an inherent drawback, as you cannot hatch stuff that's guarded. Should expire when the egg/hatchling leaves your scroll, though, as you don't send the guarding Guardian with it. Oh, and Guard should be stack-able, so if you use two Guardians to protect the same egg, it will be guarded for 48 hours instead. Cooldown for one dragon using this should probably be 2 weeks, like Incubate.

Pros: Your egg, your choice. Your egg cannot be viewbombed, or hatched prematurely without your consent. The stacking ability makes sure you can guard an egg for an extended period of time. Balance is inherent due to the inability to hatch things that are guarded.

Cons: Well, it's a BSA, so you need dragons to use it.

Just now, olympe said:

Now, trade shielding sounds like a good idea. How about a Guardian BSA (Guard?) to prevent an egg or hatchling from gaining any views for a solid 24 hours. There's also an inherent drawback, as you cannot hatch stuff that's guarded. Should expire when the egg/hatchling leaves your scroll, though, as you don't send the guarding Guardian with it. Oh, and Guard should be stack-able, so if you use two Guardians to protect the same egg, it will be guarded for 48 hours instead. Cooldown for one dragon using this should probably be 2 weeks, like Incubate.

Pros: Your egg, your choice. Your egg cannot be viewbombed, or hatched prematurely without your consent. The stacking ability makes sure you can guard an egg for an extended period of time. Balance is inherent due to the inability to hatch things that are guarded.

Cons: Well, it's a BSA, so you need dragons to use it.

I did think about making it a bsa- isn't that sorta what stunning does from bolt dragons? I mean, we have a bsa to prevent views on hatchings, so I don't see why we don't have that for eggs.
This does sound like a good idea though.

Supporting as a Guardian BSA. They're common enough dragons and this would make them more desirable anyway, I think.

Support as I have had things up for trade and not in hatcheries and suddenly they have tons of views without me adding them anywhere. I'm also ok with this being toggle-able or a BSA.

I'd be good with a BSA, but if so, I'd recommend a really short cooldown (like 2 days, same as magi.) Newbies shouldn't have to have like 15 guardians in the bank just to trade safely.

I'd rather see dragons in teleports simply unable to rack up views. Sometimes we send out a private trade link and the recipient shows it to someone, for instance. I don't see it as that easy to "abuse", as even trying to use it to protect your own stuff won't make it hatch any faster. And if something is already sick when put up for trade, it should stay sick - so that no-one can try to use that instead of fog.

I'd rather see this as a BSA. Having it always in effect for all teleports, as I think you're implying (correct me if I'm wrong!) would mess up ND experiments. It's hard to get the transfer set up in those last few seconds of the egg's life.

How about "unless the egg is below one day" ?

I don't support just preventing stuff gaining views in trades (including private ones) and then just adding an exception for NDs; that is just likely to cause issues for some other stuff eventually. I also don't want to have to use a BSA just to avoid other people being evil.

An exception for anything below a day. That also covers the absent minded who left something in trade and forgot about it (I've had that happen - made an offer and then the other person didn't show up for days. I PMd like mad, put the thing in hatcheries, and FINALLY JUST got it in time,. but...)

I support this only if it is optional, i.e. can be selected or un-selected for each trade.

When an egg is old enough I want it to start collecting views even if I'm trying to trade it, so if I don't get any offers (or my offer is declined) at least it can hatch at the normal time. Otherwise I'd feel like the time had been doubly wasted.

It's effectively an exception for NDs, and it'd be better to come up with a sound solution than just sticking some bodges in.

Edited by osmarks

1 hour ago, Confused Cat said:

I support this only if it is optional, i.e. can be selected or un-selected for each trade.

When an egg is old enough I want it to start collecting views even if I'm trying to trade it, so if I don't get any offers (or my offer is declined) at least it can hatch at the normal time. Otherwise I'd feel like the time had been doubly wasted.

Good point.

2 hours ago, Confused Cat said:

I'm in the same boat. I would prefer if this were optional - lately I've been trading dragons for fairly difficult-to-get things (pyro xenowyrm offspring from gaia xenowyrm x green fire gem - it's easy to get xenowyrm offspring from the pair, but it'll usually be gaia!), so I know there's a very good chance I 'need to' keep the critter instead. So I prefer to treat it like an  egg/hatchling I'm raising for myself, but also have up for trade.

30 minutes ago, osmarks said:

It's effectively an exception for NDs, and it'd be better to come up with a sound solution than just sticking some bodges in.

See? That's why I suggested a stack-able BSA. You decide for how many full days you want to prevent your egg/hatchling from gaining views. The effect wears off as soon as the egg/hatchling leaves your scroll (because BSA), which makes it perfect for trading.