HeatherMarie

Easy/simple way to see all groups a dragon is in

... Without having to scroll through the entire 'add to group' list on the dragon's view page. 

I know the general idea has come up in other threads, I believe often more in the context of the breed page. I'd just really love a simple way to see what groups a dragon is in, perhaps just a little list or something on the view page. I know the list could get long with too many groups, but that could be managed by linking to the list, the way the list of offspring changes to a 'view children' link after a certain point. I find it difficult to constantly scroll down the entire 'add to group' list to see which groups are checked off for a particular dragon (and, if I'm being honest, by the time I get to the end of the list I often forget which were checked anyways). 

(If there is already some list somewhere that I haven't found, please tell me!)

So basically, a page or list of groups that hides all the groups in which a dragon is currently NOT.

Yep, would be useful at times.

Yes please.

Something like the offspring list (i.e. all on the view page if short enough, linked to an extra page otherwise) would be great.

Scrolling through that tiny javascript dropdown to find out which groups are checked is no fun.

Signed,

person with ~285 groups.

That would be nice. Even a simple line that lists all the group - just like offspring used to be listed - directly on the dragon's page (and that's only visible for the scroll owner) would be amazing.

7 minutes ago, olympe said:

just like offspring used to be listed

It's still listed that way as long as it's less than 10 individuals.

I don’t do groups so I personally wouldn’t have a need but I definitely approve of this. I can’t imagine how annoying it must be!

I know. But for my favorite lines, it's usually way more than 10. And for the other dragons, there usually isn't much to be listed anyway. Still, I'd like to be able to see all groups, not just the top ten...

@grey: That totally depends on the number of groups you have. Because you'll always have to scroll through all of them.

Edited by olympe

Please yes thank you yes absolutely please. *curtseys*

I support this!  XD  I don't have as many groups as Confused Cat does yet, but if I manage to sort my scroll as I want, I'm pretty sure I will have all that and more!

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is expected here that isn't served by clicking the "Add to group" dropdown and seeing the list of groups the dragon is and isn't in? That list currently doesn't bubble selected groups to the top, but that'd be reasonably easy to do.

For dragons in many groups, it would need to be a click away anyways.

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but what is expected here that isn't served by clicking the "Add to group" dropdown and seeing the list of groups the dragon is and isn't in? That list currently doesn't bubble selected groups to the top, but that'd be reasonably easy to do.

Bubbling them to the top would be neat, if nothing else.

What I think the main concern here is, is that if you have a LOT of groups that tiny dropdown becomes less useful. Say you have 50 groups, and the dragon is in 3-- it would be easier to see those 3 all together than try to pick their checkboxes out from the other 47.

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I have many groups Looking that way means an awkward scroll-down.

8 hours ago, TJ09 said:

That list currently doesn't bubble selected groups to the top, but that'd be reasonably easy to do.

That would be a great way, too. Since the number of checked groups is typically much smaller than the number of available groups, those would possibly fit on one "page" of that dropdown box and achieve just what is desired.

16 hours ago, TJ09 said:

Putting the groups the dragon is in at the top of the list ('bubbling', I guess) would be great. The issue right now is that for people with a lot of groups, scrolling through that huge list to find which ones are marked is very frustrating (and it's easy to forget as you are scrolling too). I have that issue now and I know tons of people have a lot more groups then I do, so I assume it's even worse for them. My mind immediately went to some sort of list, but anything that makes it easier to see what groups the dragon is in would be helpful.

I think having groups that are checked listed at the top would probably solve the problem for many people. I don't have that many groups, but scrolling all the way to the bottom to see if I remembered to add my latest Thuwed or SpritersAltKin can be a pain. I'd love to be able to see at a glance with one click -- if they are at the top of the list all is well and I know I already added them, if not I just have to scroll down and add them and then the group would rise to the top.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I have many groups Looking that way means an awkward scroll-down.

Same. The drop down list is so tiny and I find it awkward to navigate. I don't even like using it to add my dragons to groups, but sometimes it's the easier option.

Bubbling groups to the top would help, but I would still rather see groups used like tags and be able to see every group a dragon is in on the dragon's page with no extra clicking. Even if that dragon is in 100+ groups (unlikely). I would also really, really like to be able to access the groups a dragon is in from the dragon's page, instead of having to back out and navigate to the page elsewhere, but I don't want to get this thread too off topic.

14 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I would also really, really like to be able to access the groups a dragon is in from the dragon's page

Oh yeah, me too! Do you think that would be a good suggestion thread of its own?

16 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

Same. The drop down list is so tiny and I find it awkward to navigate. I don't even like using it to add my dragons to groups, but sometimes it's the easier option.

Bubbling groups to the top would help, but I would still rather see groups used like tags and be able to see every group a dragon is in on the dragon's page with no extra clicking. Even if that dragon is in 100+ groups (unlikely). I would also really, really like to be able to access the groups a dragon is in from the dragon's page, instead of having to back out and navigate to the page elsewhere, but I don't want to get this thread too off topic.

I'd love this! Currently working on a lineage group and I have to keep coming back to my scroll to navigate to the lineage group. If the dropdown menu groups on a dragon page could somehow be clickable (ctrl+clickable would be perfect) that would help so much!

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Oh yeah, me too! Do you think that would be a good suggestion thread of its own?

I want to say I've brought this up before, but maybe only as a comment in the Tags thread? I might be wrong about that. Anyway I could certainly make a thread for it!

19 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I would also really, really like to be able to access the groups a dragon is in from the dragon's page

like this? 357q6uc.png

A big "yes PLEASE!" to direct links to the group(s) a dragon is in! I think it would be very handy.

+1 to group bubbling. Having lots of groups for separate projects means a lot of scrolling and a lot of chance for misclick or some other mouse/mobile shenanigan, at which point you have to reopen the darn thing and start scrolling again.

I agree with either having all the checked groups at the top of the dropdown, or having links on the dragon page. I literally have a group for every dragon breed I own as well as other things like special breeding groups, body types, and metal-bloodlines, so this would help. 

Maybe something like this:

591405003_MiniScrollSuggestion-DragonViewPageMock-up.png.e80d6b453e7c9bcf10f709d2e0e3d9a1.png

Just change Parchment to Group, and that would be great. (This image is from an old suggestion that was answered with the addition of groups. The idea still works here though.)

@Shokomon That's exactly what I was picturing! Thank you for that. I would put the groups underneath the progeny just because it could become a very long list, but that's a minor detail.

Speaking of the length of the list... I would very much like all the groups listed on the dragon's page, as I stated before. But if it had to behave the same way the progeny section does (only showing so many before only linking to a separate page), then I would like it if the first several groups remained visible with a "See More" option. The "first several" meaning in the order your groups appear to you, if that makes sense.