angelicdragonpuppy

Add Holidays to Market in season (no limits)

Since the main reasons given against raising / eliminating CB holiday limits has been to give new users their chance and reduce stress, I propose this:

Add previous holidays to the market during their season.

This would alleviate stress if a new user can’t catch something (either from everyone else grabbing eggs first or, ironically, no one being able to grab eggs and the biomes not rotating). People who are already at a limit of 2 could also buy them, thus letting people collect more CBs for projects and progeny gifting without them stepping on anyone’s toes doing so.

I imagine the price would be based on the Holidays actual rarities, ie a Holly might be worth a little more, but not too much. Presumably this would be a cheap price all the same, but even if the cost is higher, it serves a double function—gives people the assurance of being able to get something, even if it takes a while of saving, AND helps people who want more CB holidays meet that goal too.

(Ideally I’d like to see this combined with other similar suggestions—I think a triple whammy of an original release limit of 4, PLUS holidays in market, PLUS unlimited holiday grabbing in cave after would remove just about every worry people have about lifting limits—but even on its own it would have plenty of perks)

Edit:

[when asked if I'd support this WITHOUT unlimited holiday buying]

@TJ09 it would still be of help to some, and I'd still support it. That being said, this is the reason you were against unlimited Xmas/Vals:

but the motive is better served by keeping demand (comparatively) low and ensuring that people who missed out in previous years have an easier time grabbing the limited eggs.

I generally try to be the source of as little stress around the various holidays as possible.

So let's say they're added to the shop (cheaply). Now everyone has the chance to buy them. At that point, couldn't the goal of making it easy for people to get things they missed / keeping things low stressed be met even WITH a lack of limits--thus negating the need for a matching limit in the shop? Anyone who felt hunting the holiday biomes would be stressful could simply turn to the market. Those without the shards (although again, hopefully the price would be LOW) would know that even if they don't catch something this year, no worries--next year they can more than afford them. 

And--this is admittedly a tad more involved--if that's not enough imagine the triple enchilada of perfection that would be this:

1. Year 1 a Christmas / Valentine dragon is released, everyone can only collect 4.

2. Year 2 they're available in the market.

3. Year 2 they have no limits restricting cave catching.

That's about as stress-free as you can be, and people can have all the CBs they like. Heck, it might well be notably LESS stressful than the current situation--I don't think last year stressed anyone out to the point of ruining their holiday, but there WAS some grumbling about how hard it was to pick up, say, Hollies and Yules among all the Winter Magis / Solstices / Aegis that very few people could pick up. You add holidays to the market and get the caves moving, and that's fixed twice over.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Just now, angelicdragonpuppy said:

(Ideally I’d like to see this combined with other similar suggestions—I think a triple whammy of an original release limit of 4, PLUS holidays in market, PLUS unlimited holiday grabbing in cave after would remove just about every worry people have about lifting limits—but even on its own it would have plenty of perks)

And if needed, a continuous dropping of eggs in the biome for that last part, if I understood you correctly. Shouldn't be hard to do to keep the holidays less stressful and to allow people to collect more CBs, there's so many ways to accomplish both.

Anyway, for market prices, given the incredibly low cap of 100 shards each week and the short amount of time between December and February, having all holidays be 100 shards each would be best.

I see no problem with this. Honestly I know we don't like limits, but if the cave drops stayed limited I'd be happy enough with just having eggs from the market being unlimited. Then I could get extras of the ones I really wanted without impacting others.

Wholehearted support. I feel like holidays in the market, only during their season, is a perfect middle ground between keeping stress low and keeping holidays more available to older players.

And what if eggs were added but the limits still preserved?

Ignoring cave limits from market purchases goes against the philosophy that buying from the market should never be better than hunting in the cave, and keeping them around doesn't hurt the stated purpose of making it easier for new users/those with time constraints/etc to catch up.

@TJ09 I think they should be added to the market no matter what. There's no reason they shouldn't be (along with the other missing eggs, like the zyus)
But I do think the heart of the suggestion was to find a way to benefit everyone's desired playstyles.

@TJ09 it would still be of help to some, and I'd still support it. That being said, this is the reason you were against unlimited Xmas/Vals:

but the motive is better served by keeping demand (comparatively) low and ensuring that people who missed out in previous years have an easier time grabbing the limited eggs.

I generally try to be the source of as little stress around the various holidays as possible.

So let's say they're added to the shop (cheaply). Now everyone has the chance to buy them. At that point, couldn't the goal of making it easy for people to get things they missed / keeping things low stressed be met even WITH a lack of limits--thus negating the need for a matching limit in the shop? Anyone who felt hunting the holiday biomes would be stressful could simply turn to the market. Those without the shards (although again, hopefully the price would be LOW) would know that even if they don't catch something this year, no worries--next year they can more than afford them. 

And--this is admittedly a tad more involved--if that's not enough imagine the triple enchilada of perfection that would be this:

1. Year 1 a Christmas / Valentine dragon is released, everyone can only collect 4.

2. Year 2 they're available in the market.

3. Year 2 they have no limits restricting cave catching.

That's about as stress-free as you can be, and people can have all the CBs they like. Heck, it might well be notably LESS stressful than the current situation--I don't think last year stressed anyone out to the point of ruining their holiday, but there WAS some grumbling about how hard it was to pick up, say, Hollies and Yules among all the Winter Magis / Solstices / Aegis that very few people could pick up. You add holidays to the market and get the caves moving, and that's fixed twice over.

Personally I think it's MORE stressful to only need one or two breeds but not be able to find them because the biome is full of the other breeds you can't pick up and no else is either.  As a person that has my two of each I also find it stressful to see people saying "I just want to find X breed"  and see it siting there and I can't pick one or two up and surprise gift them.  I love doing that on Halloween.  I have the time to hunt and my scroll goals are already met, why shouldn't I be able to gift others less fortunate than myself? Isn't that supposed to be the point of both holidays?

If the market ones were unlimited, I might consider buying some dispute saving for a gold.  If they are also limited, well, it will help some, but the same issue for most of the cave players remains.  How many older players (two or more years) haven't hit those limits?

Support.

Last year I wasn't able to get a holly or yulebuck...but saw a tons of wrapping wings an ribbon dancers sitting there.

Was a pitty to look at them waiting for the older breeds, and beeing to slow all the time :(

Market would really help with that.

The 2 per user Limit is ok for me. Would like more of some, but that's the game^^

I would prefer them added to market with no limits or maybe a limit that you can buy x number per year. I mean, a lot of people already have their two and they're choosing to buy a holiday instead of something else. 

I honestly don't support no limits on market holidays. That really does seem to go against the entire *point* of the market, which seems to be to *supplement* cave-hunting, not completely bypass it or add loopholes to it. If it's too hard to get in-cave, you can get it from the market. Not 'oh I can get unlimited from the market but only two from the cave!', that just doesn't feel right. I would support holidays in the market if they *did* keep the same limits, though (or even some sort of different limit, like keep the cave limits but also have a separate 'market limit').

Edited by HeatherMarie

Pretty sure “new users” wouldn’t have enough shards to buy all the holiday breeds anyway?

I dunno. I don’t support this. I had a bit of trouble catching holiday breeds in the biome last year, but then I realised that if you just wait until the first couple of days pass, it’s not really hard at all. Generally agree with what TJ said.

I support having the eggs available in the market for those who are having trouble catching them in the biome, but I don't think the market should be used to bypass limits. If there has to be a limit, then I think it should apply to eggs from all sources. Otherwise it seems unfair.

I would say ABSOLUTLEY!

Honestly... I was a tad bit surprised when Halloweens didn't appear in the market during their 'breeding time'.

It would make SENSE after all. I am in no way saying they should be there year around BUT if CB Holidays are going to be available IN CAVE... and in their own dedicate biome, no less..during their respective events then I think they OUGHT to be available in the market, too. Think about it! Stuff very definitely is available in stores for holidays that ISN'T the rest of the year.It would make life SO much easier for those who find they are having trouble grabbing that ONE last ... whatever it might be... in the cave  to complete their goals. Isn't that the whole purpose of the market, after ALL?

Honestly, I support this idea for CONSISTENCY-sake by itself, let alone all the other reasons I think this could be a  VERY good thing!

In fact! I support this idea quite on its own!

Edited by JavaTigress

I don't think it's inherently unfair to limit one and not the other (though I think adp's goal is to unlimit both in the end).

But since eggs from the market can't be traded, it's not like you're going to be able to use anything 'valuable', like an extra holly, for trading gain.

And if a new user doesn't have enough shards this year, they can just save next year.. it's probably best to try hunting the cave first and then if you don't succeed, resort to buying. I wouldn't think they should be more than 200-300 or something (certainly not 3900).

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I honestly don't support no limits on market holidays. That really does seem to go against the entire *point* of the market, which seems to be to *supplement* cave-hunting, not completely bypass it or add loopholes to it. If it's too hard to get in-cave, you can get it from the market. Not 'oh I can get unlimited from the market but only two from the cave!', that just doesn't feel right. I would support holidays in the market if they *did* keep the same limits, though (or even some sort of different limit, like keep the cave limits but also have a separate 'market limit').

My thoughts exactly. So, no support if Market-bought eggs have no limits.

Holidays should be in the market, even if it's just for people who don't feel like camping in the holiday biome until the right egg pops up.

In my opinion, market-bought eggs would need to share the same limit as CBs from other sources - whatever that limit ends up to be.

@angelicdragonpuppy I sure did. While I'd like that triple enchilada you proposed, I just don't have much to say about it, so I focussed on the thing I felt was the basic I-can't-think-of-the-English-word-for-this-Why-am-I-so-braindead of this. *shrugs*

Edited by Ruby Eyes

5 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Are people reading my response to TJ?

Probably not.. might want to put it in the OP. I did say you were aiming for no limits everywhere, but yeah.

I think I'd support holidays in the market either way - but maybe not for the whole breeding season? After all, the shop is supposed to supplement cave hunting instead of replacing it. So, maybe only on the last 1-3 days of the event. This could also prove beneficial if holiday eggs from the market were without a limit, as scroll limits would severely limit how many we can buy even if they're very cheap.

7 minutes ago, olympe said:

I think I'd support holidays in the market either way - but maybe not for the whole breeding season? After all, the shop is supposed to supplement cave hunting instead of replacing it. So, maybe only on the last 1-3 days of the event. This could also prove beneficial if holiday eggs from the market were without a limit, as scroll limits would severely limit how many we can buy even if they're very cheap.

It supplements it by existing if you can’t catch stuff available. Having it only open on the last few days of the seasons would be like only putting golds in the market for three months every year to encourage people to “hunt a little first.”

I don't think that up to 6 days of "trying" is the same as 9 months, though... Not to mention that there are different limiting factors discussed. It's literally impossible for you to get more than one gold every 40 weeks (+/- 1, considering how prices vary). On the other hand, if Holiday dragons are indeed cheap, and you want to achieve that holiday eggs from the market can surpass the limit, this would be a different way to achieve some checks and balances.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Are people reading my response to TJ?

I did. I just don't agree with it, and/or it doesn't change my response. I don't think this 'triple enchilada' is the best way to do things, and I also don't agree that the whole 'stress-free' idea would be better with no limits. No matter how you spin it, I don't think unlimited Market holidays are a good idea.

44 minutes ago, olympe said:

At least one of the holidays we are talking about is mostly a family event. I'm not sure if enforcing coming back for the last day to buy what you couldn't catch in the first days is the most family-friendly thing to do.