Dragon_Arbock

ANSWERED:Unlimit the GoN

39 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

It doesn't work like that. Some things should be limited. Yeah the leetle is a drastic example, but there's a reason GoNs are only available through summoning in the first place: because they're meant to be almost mythical. Imo, count yourselves lucky you can get more than one. There's a reason we can't get Prizes in the biomes - because they're prizes, rarities, only available through distribution. As I've mentioned before, I couldn't really care less about the limit being upped to 4 or whatever, but I really don't support doing away with the limit.

But the prizes aren't even limited- yes they're not in the biomes, but you can win an infinite number of times if you're lucky. They're also breedable so it's not like you need CBs to collect every sprite.

I don't think removing the limit would truly hurt anyone. I'd at least like to be able to have 6, but ideally would prefer people can get as many as they please.

And as far as being mythical, that's why I mention the sinomorph;
"Record of its existence may be limited to folklore and ancient legends, but recent sightings seem to suggest this storybook behemoth may truly walk the lands of Valkemare. If the stories of the past are to be trusted, its appearance serves as a beacon of light in the face of looming calamity."

It also exists only as a rumor or myth, yet some people have 20 of them. I don't think the GoN is a  god either. Nothing in its description says it is one.

2 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I don't think removing the limit would truly hurt anyone. I'd at least like to be able to have 6, but ideally would prefer people can get as many as they please.

This assumes summon rates would not be affected by ratios, which I cannot say for certain, but do at least reasonably suspect strongly enough to still be against unlimited summons. If we're stingy and assume everyone has a 10% success rate per summon, unlike the wiki's estimated 20% (and yes I do know the wiki should be taken with a big ol grain of salt, which is why we're assuming 10%), that's about 2.4 GoNs per year, and once you start factoring ratios into that, those numbers will start to get more turbulent, and the players who enjoyed summons at their "freshest" will have an unfair head start over players who joining a year or two after this mechanic was implemented. Again, I can't say with certainty this is how TJ would do it, but I also can't say with certainty he wouldn't, especially with how much of the site uses ratios already. I just don't want to risk doing that to these hypothetical future users.

I will admit I'm not intimately versed in the behind the scenes mechanics of DC so if I'm pulling any of this out of my butt go ahead and correct me, but the prospect of unlimited GoNs is worrying to me for more than just flavor reasons like "you shouldn't be able to get unlimited gods."

Well, as far as I know, you can't have both a fixed percentage change of success /and/ have it be affected by ratios, unless I'm thinking about this wrong. Either it's 10%, or it's some sort of ratio-based formula. If this got implemented I certainly wouldn't want it to be ratio based, so don't think I want to make things any harder for anyone.

Oh, I didn't necessarily mean a fixed percent, I just meant ~10%, for the simplicity of calculations. Sorry I hadn't made that more clear.

I think it should be lifted, as I don't think that it serves any useful purpose. Yes, as with everything, there is some game lore behind it, but all the lore is very subjective and can usually be interpreted any way you like.

Edited by osmarks

While I would very much like to have a "full set" of GoNs (one of each adult, one of each s2, one s1), I would not want it at anyone else's expense. I don't have a strong opinion on limited vs. unlimited, but if summoning is not affected by ratios, my ideal situation on the "limited" side would be six; five would satisfy my personal scroll goals, but I know even pairs go over better with the community at large. If summoning is ratio-driven, I'd rather things stayed as they are.

I have no problem with them being limited but I'd love if it would be a least 4. I'm not summoning my third because I can't decide if I want to freeze a male or a female hatchling.

If it were 6 I could fulfill my 2 pairs 2 hatchlings goal. That would be awesome. :3

I think I'd rather have a limit because if not, eventually people will have so many GoN's they won't be really special anymore and I like that they're kind of unique (and not just cause of the lore, just.. to have a dragon that works a little differently)

But I would like the limit to be raised to 4 or 6.

If limit, I vote for 10. Covers like all minimal goals I've ever heard of. I won't even use the Summon after getting my 5 myself, not everyone tries to max everything out.

Another option is 6: because there are 3 avatars and this would allow self breeding of all 3 avatars in unrelated pairs each - after all, they were upped to 3 BECAUSE of 3 Avatars, but having 3 doesn't allow breeding unrelated pairs of Avatars without having siblings and also having monogamous GoNs. Besides, there are 6 biomes to refer to in the lore of that. As for minimal goals, allows Most of them. Not perfect, 10 would be better here.

Still, I don't see a reason for a limit to stay... unless GoN summoning has to do with ratios instead of a flat chance and wouldn't change to flat chance the moment it's lifted. This is the ONLY potential problem with removing those limits, but said problem is easy enough to eliminate... 
Also, GoNs are not gods... they are simply legendary like Lugia... Nothing more godlike than the unlimited Sinomorphs...

And Leetle Trees? those aren't even dragons... Don't have stages... can't be killed... aren't a serious thing... GoNs on the other hand are dragons, are breedable, have all stages, can be killed, fit with the rest of the game much more than any plants would.

I'd only want limits if GoNs have ratios... which I don't think they do due to the numbers of Trios involved actually impacting Summon chances.

There's no harm in letting people collect as many as they want, and the current limits are way too strict considering refusals exist and that you can't have two adults of each gender but also a full set.

6 would be a fine limit if we must have limits, though.

At the moment, I don't see a particularly strong reason to change the current setup. The limits are tied to the breed's unique method of acquisition, so "why not" and "other breeds do this" aren't very compelling.