InfiniteGalaxiezz05

ANSWERED:Trading of Adult Dragons

Pros:

You can get a dragon without worrying about it dying due to too many/not enough views.

You can give away your unwanted adults if you don't want to kill them.

Will make the trade center more active.

Cons:

The increased activity may cause lagging

May be hard to implement on the site

I'm fairly certain that trading and/or catching of adult dragons is something that will never be implemented.  The goal is to catch and raise your own.

Echoing the above statement, adult trading would so radically change the fundamental economy of DC, I can't see it ever happening, and even if it was possible, I'd still be against it. Ruins the point a little, doesn't it? Who would even bother trading hatchies if you could just grab an insta-ready adult?

But what about unwanted adults? Wouldn't  it feel better to give them a better home than to kill them?

You can just release adults you don't want, you don't have to kill them.

Exactly. No support for this at all. And why would a dragon you had raised suddenly be unwanted ?

No support. Also, way too easy to abuse by multiscrollers.

Thanks, but no thanks. The consequences could be rather off-putting - and would favor multi-scrollers above all others. 

Next problem is the economy. Right now, you cannot offer more than you have growing on your scroll. But if adult trading became a thing, the better catchers here could easily save up a dozen or more CB golds in order to trade for stuff that already is hard to get. Not to mention that trades like this mean you'd have to set up several teleports on a trust basis, which will undoubtedly lead to scamming.

@Dragon_Arbock: I'm not fond of that idea, either. Because all too soon, the wilderness will be emptied of anything valuable, and all you'd be able to adopt from there is what most people wouldn't want to have anyway. Which renders this idea pretty useless pretty quickly.

Indifferent as well. I would feel bad for people who couldn't trade for more valuable dragons. And it would put people at an even greater advantage over others if they have adult things that other people don't (alts, CB prizes, CB rares). I also don't think that people want to be bothered about trading said things in addition to everything else. I wouldn't be upset either way, but I don't really see a need. The trade center is active enough and we can just abandon the dragons we don't want.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Exactly. No support for this at all. And why would a dragon you had raised suddenly be unwanted ?

I have a lot of dragons I don’t want anymore, because before I knew my scroll goals as a newbie I just caught messies from the AP willy-nilly that I really no longer care for.

However, I release them. I’m fairly positive I’ve seen this suggestion multiple times, and the consensus has always been the same: it doesn’t look to be something that will ever be incorporated into the site. So this doesn’t have my support either

9 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I have a lot of dragons I don’t want anymore, because before I knew my scroll goals as a newbie I just caught messies from the AP willy-nilly that I really no longer care for.

But as they are now part of your FAMILY... Poor things :)

I have loads I caught before I started to take neater lines more seriously, but they live with me.

The first thing that would happen should this be implemented is owners of rare dragons being bombarded with emails "gimme your prize, I haz imbreed 19th gen mint"  So, yeah, no.  You want more adults, go raise your own. and if you suddenly find you don't want that adult that you put time and effort into raising, release it to the wild. 

This gets suggested a LOT and never goes anywhere.  Same with adopting from the wilderness.  It may sound good in theory, but only a small group of people would actually benefit.  No such thing as free adult dragons.  (the sinomorph kinda breaks this long-standing rule but given the hoops you have to jump through to get it, it's not really free either)

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Next problem is the economy. Right now, you cannot offer more than you have growing on your scroll. But if adult trading became a thing, the better catchers here could easily save up a dozen or more CB golds in order to trade for stuff that already is hard to get. Not to mention that trades like this mean you'd have to set up several teleports on a trust basis, which will undoubtedly lead to scamming.

3 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

The first thing that would happen should this be implemented is owners of rare dragons being bombarded with emails "gimme your prize, I haz imbreed 19th gen mint"  So, yeah, no.  You want more adults, go raise your own. and if you suddenly find you don't want that adult that you put time and effort into raising, release it to the wild. 

Yeah, this. Very very much No Support here. (And yes, this has been suggested and shot down soooo many times.)

The whole point of this game is to raise dragons. Seriously, everything else is totally optional: Naming, describing, even breeding, all of that is totally optional. But *raising* dragons is the basis of this game. Being able to get free insta-adults with no work whatsoever defeats the entire point of the game.

And as others have said, who exactly would benefit from this? Multi-scrollers and people who already have tons of great adults. I very much doubt this will actually *help* any newbies or anyone who doesn't already have a ton of great stuff... The only people who would really benefit here are the people who can go 'okay, I've collected 15 CB Golds over the years, so I can basically ask for ANYTHING and get ANYTHING I want!'. 

You don't have to kill adults if you don't want them. Release them to the wilderness. They can 'roam free' and live forever in the wilderness without you having them on your scroll, and no guilt for killing them. 

Also, I very much think this would make trading a *nightmare*. Everyone will want adults! Why on earth would anyone trade for something that takes time and effort when they can have insta-breeding-machines with no time or effort at all? Hardly anyone would accept eggs anymore. Everyone who doesn't already have great adults would be left out. 

Here is the only thread on this topic I can find at the moment, but I know there were others:

@olympe Minor quibble: the teleport limit probably could be rasied above 4. I don't know why it's at 4 but whatever.

I do mostly agree, although it seems unlikely that stuff will suddenly become more valuable. It's not like there's anything which people routinely trade >2 CB golds for now, anyway.

@osmarks: While the limit could be raised, it hasn't been yet, for whatever reason there is. So I'm trying to work with what we have right now, because unless we hear otherwise, that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. 

3 hours ago, osmarks said:

@olympe Minor quibble: the teleport limit probably could be rasied above 4. I don't know why it's at 4 but whatever.

I do mostly agree, although it seems unlikely that stuff will suddenly become more valuable. It's not like there's anything which people routinely trade >2 CB golds for now, anyway.

Actually, I still see 2nd-gen Prizes going for 2+ CB Golds every so often. Not as much as they used to, though. 

The thing is, trading adults opens up a *lot* more 'valuable' values in general... I can easily see an original Frill from before they were retired going for a ton. Or people begging for an original 2008 Vampire, since some people seem to be so against vamps having the 'bitten by' info. Dates mean a lot to many people, actually, and I could see that happening with a lot of things, including holidays (oh man, how would holidays work here? Would you be able to trade an adult Mistletoe in April??).

As a mod, and from my own perspective. No. Multi-scrollers would have a total pick-nick if the could just grow dragons on their other scrolls and scoot them over when they want them. I doubt that this will ever be implemented even if the multi-scroller issue is resolved.

Other problems I can foresee are people who take an adult dragon, in trade (or any of the many gifting threads) and it has a lot of offspring, and someone decides to kill it. if they receive the dragon, it is their dragon to do as they want - they can. killing such a dragon, could spoil lineages for dozens, perhaps hundreds of other players, who carefully collected and bred dragons to create something gorgeous. Also, a lot of threads people make requests (albeit unenforceable), to not give away, trade, kill, bite, kumquat, their dragon... at some point someone may forget that dragon 4321 was one such request(I have about 6k and I can barely remember who is from where) and if that dragon gets traded off, and then killed (for example) the one who bred it might get a wee bit bent out of shape.

Plus, as stated by HeatherMarie, trading holiday dragons out of season might look a bit odd (although I can't honestly find a inherent problem with that.

It would easily send trading out of whack, with people wanting instant adults as opposed to doing it themselves.

Edited by Starscream

I never even thought about dragons with offspring being traded off. That would be horrible for lineage-makers, especially if the dragon gets killed or even renamed... I know there are so many lineages out there with lyrics, quotes, etc, if a dragon in one of those got traded and then the person renamed it, that would ruin the lineage. And yeah, I'm big on the whole 'if it's on your scroll you can do what you want', but I can't imagine how much drama all that would create. I could even see people finding out someone they don't like has offspring of a dragon they've been traded, so they deliberately kill it. 

No support from me for all the reasons mentioned above. I also feel it could be pretty unfair if, for example, one of my friends started playing dragoncave, and I decided to gift them hundreds of dragons so they immediately had a gold trophy... that would also take away the point of raising and collecting your own dragons. 

I know I wouldn't HAVE to use the feature if it was implemented so this second thing is a pointless argument, but the idea of trading away my adult dragons kind of makes me uncomfortable. :unsure:

How about making adults tradeable for only a week-month since they grew up? (if the grew up on date is 29th of November, that adult would be tradeable until 29th of December)  - I bet there are plenty of users who tried to offer that Cheese or Silver egg and get something not that much valuable but nobody seing their offer had it at the time and the pretty much valuable egg ended up as an adult while all you wanted was a PB Magma or high gen Stairstep Prize from X breed or a Red-Taield wyrm from Forest(they don't seem to drop there much... never seeing them there since soon after release)? How many times my bf caught a Kyanite from e.g. Coast and tried to Biome swap if for a Forestal one to help me with Zombie fodders? And guess how many times people offered before the egg grew up into an adult? like 1 in a lifetime?... An extra week or month to trade could be a blessing here.

Trading adults on Tales of Ostlea is a thing and I'm not seeing any issues around it, nor have I ever been asked to trade of my LB(ToS's CB equivalent) SAs(they are insta-adults), quest Holidays (they are limited by number you can get for free and in the first year unless you trade) etc. Ofc ToO is different, they don't have a Kill action, riddiculusly rare Golds or Neglecteds nor Prizes, (have SAs, holidays, donations you can earn for with a busy gameplay) and you can insta grow your eggs if you are willing to spend in-game currency on that (many people don't, there are plenty of other things to spend it on first). And no, people aren't throwing themselves on those adults nor bothering people asking for adults, there are always many adults available - more than eggs or hatchies. In a properly balanced game trading adults is no reason for problems.

PS and why are you panicking about CB Prizes? Do you think that if TJ made them untradeable as eggs and hatchies (and impossible to breed/colour swap for another with fellow winners -which wouldn't be walkaroundable by multis amd there's nothing against making it a thing) that wouldn't pass onto adults? oh I bet it would... And I bet SAs are scroll coded like Snow Angels and Black Sweetlings(after all, some Halloween spriters have dozens of SAs meaning their breed traded to them was all turned into SAs exactly as if SAs were scroll bound like that)...

If DC had a more balanced rarity, with no 2g Prize-Gold-ND-2gSA-nothing else nonsense, tradeable adults wouldn't be such a big deal to introduce...  But oh well, that's DC. Still, an additional week or month? why not, could work. Not that people unable to provide the ultra valuables aren't mostly out of trading for these anyway... And one could at least hope to biome swap that Kyanite or genderswap that Kingcrowne...

(Ok, I'm done.... I have a feeling I'll regret positng in Suggestions yet again... guess I'll just go ahead and ignore all mentions)

1 hour ago, VixenDra said:

And I bet SAs are scroll coded like Snow Angels and Black Sweetlings(after all, some Halloween spriters have dozens of SAs meaning their breed traded to them was all turned into SAs exactly as if SAs were scroll bound like that)...

Honestly, I'm going to ignore most of your post.  I do not care what other games do, if I did, I would play that game.  This is DC, it is different from other games and I would like to keep it that way.

Scroll coding for SAs:

Every dragon of type does NOT become a SA on the spriters scroll.  Only the ones owned at the time tj codes their scroll for that.  Which is why some older Christmas/valentines spriters have more than two; the older breeds didn't get alts till a few years back.  Halloween doesn't have limits and many spriters will do massive trades for extras.  (I traded a pair of cb omens to Process for an IOU of an alt baby, which sadly misgendered on me.) Anything caught/raised later will be normal, just like everyone else's.

Yes, the prizes are a problem.  They've been a balance problem from the moment they were introduced, but thus far, all suggestions for fixing that have gone ignored. :( Even without them, I don't want to see adult trading.  Too many other exploits.  Here's one: I often see people in help saying they are quitting and wanting to give all their grown dragons to someone else.  currently they can not.  Some of these people come back months or even years later and are very happy to still have their scroll intact.  How many would do so then be upset that no one wants to return their old dragons?

2 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Honestly, I'm going to ignore most of your post.  I do not care what other games do, if I did, I would play that game.  This is DC, it is different from other games and I would like to keep it that way.

Scroll coding for SAs:

Every dragon of type does NOT become a SA on the spriters scroll.  Only the ones owned at the time tj codes their scroll for that.  Which is why some older Christmas/valentines spriters have more than two; the older breeds didn't get alts till a few years back.  Halloween doesn't have limits and many spriters will do massive trades for extras.  (I traded a pair of cb omens to Process for an IOU of an alt baby, which sadly misgendered on me.) Anything caught/raised later will be normal, just like everyone else's.

Yes, the prizes are a problem.  They've been a balance problem from the moment they were introduced, but thus far, all suggestions for fixing that have gone ignored. :( Even without them, I don't want to see adult trading.  Too many other exploits.  Here's one: I often see people in help saying they are quitting and wanting to give all their grown dragons to someone else.  currently they can not.  Some of these people come back months or even years later and are very happy to still have their scroll intact.  How many would do so then be upset that no one wants to return their old dragons?

I agree with all this. Especially the bit about this is NOT other games: if it were, I wouldn't be here.

The point of THIS game is raising dragons. Not grabbing them from other people because you can't be bothered.

I'm still indifferent, but all I see are people freaking out about the trade economy. ..it's DC. It's already impossible for someone like me to compete against someone with a SA or CB Prize. Can't really get any worse for me. I'd just keep doing my own thing.