borntobefree

ANSWERED:Abandoned hatchies page

From what I understand there are usually hundreds of abandoned eggs at any given time, but only tens of hatchies at any given time, making it all but impossible to look for any you want to grab. Could we get a hatchlings page for the abandoned eggs that have hatched and any hatchlings abandoned and not bunched in with the eggs? Could we also get more eggs on the abandoned page at once. Maybe a total of how many abandoned there are, so you know if you are ony seeing the same 20 eggs over and over but there are a thousand that something is stopping you from seeing them all, no matter how much you are refreshing the page. It would drastically cut down on the amount of bandwidth the servers use, and cut lag time.

This has been suggested before, but it's really rather pointless in practice. Because there are so few abandoned hatchlings, the 'abandoned hatchlings' page would be completely empty most of the time. And any hatchlings that do show up there will be snatched even faster then now, because there is nothing else there to catch anyone's eye. 

I'm not sure how showing how many actual abandoneds there are would do anything for bandwidth or lag? Unless I'm misunderstanding that part. Knowing how many eggs are in the backlog doesn't really help anyone in any way, since they can't *get* to those eggs regardless. Honestly I think it wouldn't do anything except cause frustration, to know there are a specific number of eggs that you can't see and can't get.

What would you want to accomplish with showing more eggs at once? That has been suggested before as well, but I think there are better suggestions for what most people seem to want that for. For example, if the idea behind 'more eggs' is to simply get more variety, a better idea imo would be to limit how many of each breed is shown at a time. Or limit how many bred from one user can be shown at a time (*not* limit breeding/abandoning, just how many is shown). 

Honestly, I'm with HeatherMarie. There's little to no point in a hatchie AP. Have you ever seen a hatchie in the AP? It's insane- they vanish faster than a gold in the biomes. It doesn't matter whether it's a species people actually like; if it's a hatchie, everybody  wants it. A hatchie AP would be deserted 99.9999999% of the time. 

As for your other suggestion, eggs with the lowest time are shown first in the AP- that's the "something" that's stopping you from seeing the other thousand eggs no matter how much you refresh. Eventually, somebody will pick up the eggs on the top of the pile, and new eggs will take their place. The times when refreshing does give you more variety would be when a lot of eggs have the same or similar times. As far as showing  more eggs at once... I don't know about anybody else, but I can just barely view all the rows of eggs in the AP on my phone at once, and when I'm AP hunting, that's just how I like it. I'd hate to think I could be missing some cool shiny a few rows below the edge of my screen because my screen was too small to see the entirety of the AP anymore. Maybe I could get behind that suggestion if the mobile AP were reformatted to fit them all on my screen... but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work for TJ when the AP, to me, is fine as it is. 

1 hour ago, Sylph264 said:

Honestly, I'm with HeatherMarie. There's little to no point in a hatchie AP. Have you ever seen a hatchie in the AP? It's insane- they vanish faster than a gold in the biomes. It doesn't matter whether it's a species people actually like; if it's a hatchie, everybody  wants it. A hatchie AP would be deserted 99.9999999% of the time. 

As for your other suggestion, eggs with the lowest time are shown first in the AP- that's the "something" that's stopping you from seeing the other thousand eggs no matter how much you refresh. Eventually, somebody will pick up the eggs on the top of the pile, and new eggs will take their place. The times when refreshing does give you more variety would be when a lot of eggs have the same or similar times. As far as showing  more eggs at once... I don't know about anybody else, but I can just barely view all the rows of eggs in the AP on my phone at once, and when I'm AP hunting, that's just how I like it. I'd hate to think I could be missing some cool shiny a few rows below the edge of my screen because my screen was too small to see the entirety of the AP anymore. Maybe I could get behind that suggestion if the mobile AP were reformatted to fit them all on my screen... but that seems like a lot of unnecessary work for TJ when the AP, to me, is fine as it is. 

I'm with them. I caught a hatchie the other day. My first in years, and not for want of trying. And who would pick up eggs with 6 days on them when they can have some at 5 or less.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And who would pick up eggs with 6 days on them when they can have some at 5 or less.

Well you can bet the Golds and Silvers and Prizes and such would get grabbed regardless of time left, leaving only the less desirable breeds.

I am a bit unclear on whether the OP is suggesting that all the eggs in the AP should be displayed at once. If so, I can't even imagine how that could work -- especially at holiday times. Reduce lag? I think not. I sometimes have to wait a few seconds for all the eggs to load on the limited page we have now. And I think it is more likely thousands of eggs, than hundreds that are behind the currently displayed eggs.

If the suggestion is just to know how many eggs there are, I don't see any purpose for that at all.

As to a separate hatchie AP, I agree with what others have said. You could probably sit there and refresh for hours without seeing a single hatchie. There is a reason why you seldom see them in the AP -- very few dragons that make it to the hatchie stage are actually abandoned.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

There is a reason why you seldom see them in the AP -- very few dragons that make it to the hatchie stage are actually abandoned.

IIRC they're also sorted by time the same way eggs are, mind. If the AP is 'low time' enough, they can just grow up unattended (what with many hatched dragons having enough stats to also grow up), which is unfortunate, given how easily they could otherwise find homes.

But yeah, I don't think the "separate hatchling page" part of this suggestion is the right way to go about this, since that page would mostly be empty. For what it's worth, this was even discussed before:

(I could swear there was a separate suggestion to sort hatchlings to the front of the AP, to avoid the "growing up unattended" problem, but I can't find it. Would have linked to that for completion's sake, too.)

Here's a thread related to the "extra pages" part of this suggestion, if someone wants a refresher of related discussion to that:

The refresh rate we all use to flip through the pages takes up processor power,and slows the site down, more eggs on one page would slow you up a little, or give you an idea of how many eggs you've seen, after 100 clicks to refresh and all you see are the same 50 or so eggs just moved around the screen it gets annoying, I know the eggs with lower days are supposed to be displayed at the top of the page, and I've seen eggs with 3 days before show up once, all i seem to get are the same 100 eggs recycled across my page and they usually start around 5 days 20 hours, and its frustrating because i know there are alot of eggs at the 3.5 day mark and 4 day mark. a number count is just for curiosities sake, and if there are only say 200 eggs total and i've seen them mostly I'd stop refreshing so much and go on to something else, that would free up more bandwidth, especially when there are 30 or 40 of us doing it.  think there are also more hatchies than we think, I've managed to catch 5 of them 3 in one day.

Trust me, there are not eggs with lower time than the ones that are showing. What makes you think there are?

But there are *always* going to be eggs 'behind' those that you see, eggs that you can't see, no matter how much you refresh. The AP doesn't cycle through all the eggs, showing new ones constantly, new ones only show up when one is taken by someone. So knowing how many there are total doesn't actually help to show you if there are any you might want in the backlog or anything like that, unless there was *only* the visible ones and none at all in the backlog. Which to my knowledge hasn't happened in *years*. 

And no, there are not lower-timed eggs that you can't see. The lowest time is *always* displayed on the AP page. If an egg is abandoned that has a lower time then what is currently showing in the AP, it will immediately go to the front of the AP (to the upper-left corner, usually). Why do you think there are lower-timed eggs that you can't see? It's always been that the lowest-timed eggs are shown first, excluding holidays when all that is shown are holidays. 

Personally I'd think that showing more eggs at once would make lag and such *worse*, not better, because the page would have to load more every single time it's refreshed. And there is no inherent guarantee that more eggs would mean less refreshing, I'm not sure why anyone would think that. No matter how many eggs are shown, people are still going to be refreshing just as much if they don't see anything they want (and there is NO guarantee that a larger AP would show anything different or better then what it currently shows). 

I may be wrong, but I thought abandoned eggs were automatically given a day once they hit the page. If you track an egg, it may seem like it should be on the page, but it really is higher time than the other eggs. So if an egg shows, say, 4 days and 21 hours, but most of the eggs in the AP have 5 days and 18 hours, it wouldn't appear on the page for about 3 more hours, at which point it will display 5 days and x hours. At least, I think that's what happens. Maybe that's why borntobefree thinks there are eggs that should be in the AP but aren't?

My personal opinion: I don't see why these changes would result in less refreshing. As for the hatchling page, I think it would be empty most of the time. When I hunt in the AP for hatchlings, I do so because I'm egglocked and want another growing thing despite not having an egg slot. If I see a hatchling, I click it and keep it regardless of any factors that I would consider for a normal egg (lineage, dragon type, etc.) If there was a constantly-full hatchling page, there would have to be enough hatchlings to scroll lock all active users, and I just don't think that's going to work. 

Abandoned eggs used to gain a day. They no longer do.

So I sit and refresh the abandoned page, I may nightly click that pages a couple hundred times in a row, and I get eggs that are at 5 days plus about 15-20 hours as the first few eggs, and the rest vary, during these sessions I will occasionally get for maybe two or three clicks an egg that is 3 days and a couple hours, then it goes back to 5 days and a bunch of hours for maybe 50 refreshes, different eggs sometimes, but most of the time its the same damn egg for 20 or so clicks in the first few positions, and the bottom of the rows on the right change, then I'll get a 4 day and a few hours egg for a page or two, then its back to most of the time the same damn egg again. Even when there are eggs with a lower hour count the same damn egg will be in the first positions, you can tell by hovering over said egg and seeing its code on the bottom left hand side of the screen in the link view/load code. So if it was showing eggs with the shortest time then those first few eggs would be a much lower day and hour count, much more consistently. It's not, also I should be able to see many more eggs, then the same 50 or so, repeatedly, with one or two different eggs only showing up once,

37 minutes ago, borntobefree said:

So I sit and refresh the abandoned page, I may nightly click that pages a couple hundred times in a row, and I get eggs that are at 5 days plus about 15-20 hours as the first few eggs, and the rest vary, during these sessions I will occasionally get for maybe two or three clicks an egg that is 3 days and a couple hours, then it goes back to 5 days and a bunch of hours for maybe 50 refreshes, different eggs sometimes, but most of the time its the same damn egg for 20 or so clicks in the first few positions, and the bottom of the rows on the right change, then I'll get a 4 day and a few hours egg for a page or two, then its back to most of the time the same damn egg again. Even when there are eggs with a lower hour count the same damn egg will be in the first positions, you can tell by hovering over said egg and seeing its code on the bottom left hand side of the screen in the link view/load code. So if it was showing eggs with the shortest time then those first few eggs would be a much lower day and hour count, much more consistently. It's not, also I should be able to see many more eggs, then the same 50 or so, repeatedly, with one or two different eggs only showing up once,

Actually... the reason it's less consistent is people dump eggs that are at lower times. So rhose eggs get sorted first.

Sorry, borntobefree, but the way it works is the way it works, and if you are seeing the same eggs over and over that IS because they are at the top of the queue. The eggs you see on the page ARE the ones with the shortest time. Except in holiday seasons, when the holiday eggs take priority. You may not believe it, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. Ann I don't think anyone (except perhaps you) wants higher time eggs wandering in to the mix just to add variety.

And even if it used NO processor power to show all the eggs at once, I defy you to do better with several thousand eggs on your page. imagine trying to scroll through them all.

FYI I just refreshed the AP several times. There is a messy egg stuck in top place; other than that, they shuffled a lot - but all with eggs between 5 days 21 and 6 days 1 hour. They ARE rotating.

If an egg has 3 days and a few hours and only pops up once in a while, then the shortest timed eggs are not at the top of the list. It literally means the top of the list is frozen and not on the shortest time framed eggs. with thousands of eggs as you say then i should never get repeated eggs in the refresh.  I agree that it is how it is, just pointing out the problems with it, since obviously from your answer some may not be aware of what actually is going on.

If an egg has 3 days and a few hours left and only pops up once in awhile, it means that people are taking the egg and returning it to the AP. 

Not that the list is frozen.

From what I've observed, the AP refreshes when someone takes an egg - not when you actually refresh. The reason it "freezes," sometimes is because no one is taking an egg. When an egg is picked up, it's shuffled. 

What Alex said. 

If an egg has 3 days and a few hours left and only pops up once in awhile, it means that people are taking the egg and returning it to the AP. 

Not that the list is frozen.

Though I think it does refresh a BIT, in that eggs with the same time left shuffle. It is frozen, as you call it, because the eggs have not been picked up; it's as simple as that. 

There is nothing "going on." It works exactly as it is supposed to. The fact that you don't like the way it works doesn't mean there is anything wrong.

3 hours ago, borntobefree said:

If an egg has 3 days and a few hours and only pops up once in a while, then the shortest timed eggs are not at the top of the list. It literally means the top of the list is frozen and not on the shortest time framed eggs. with thousands of eggs as you say then i should never get repeated eggs in the refresh.  I agree that it is how it is, just pointing out the problems with it, since obviously from your answer some may not be aware of what actually is going on.

Those shorter time eggs that pop up once in awhile are either just being abandoned (and showing up at the top of the pile because they are lower time than the others) or are being picked up and then abandoned again after the person who picks them up has time to examine their lineage, decide they don't want them, and toss them back in the pile. 

The only way to "unfreeze" the top of the list is for people to adopt the eggs that are there, allowing other eggs to rise to the top.

12 hours ago, borntobefree said:

11 hours ago, borntobefree said:

I must echo what others have said. The shortest-timed eggs *are* shown up front in the AP, period. I'm sorry if you don't understand that, but that's how it is. The reason you sometimes see all high-times, and then a low-time or two for a couple seconds, is because those low-times *just* got abandoned, like literally they were *just* abandoned right then. They are lower timed, so the moment they get abandoned they go to the 'front' of the AP. Lower-timed eggs don't sit behind the wall, they always go to the front immediately. That's why if you abandon a lower-timed egg in the afternoon, it will get picked up long before the high-timed egg you abandoned that morning. Because it's shown first. 

The only time new eggs show up in the AP are when an egg is taken from the AP, or when a lower-timed egg is abandoned. That's why you see the same handful of eggs over and over for a long time (also, people often pick up eggs from the AP, check the lineage, and toss them back, which is why some eggs seem to re-appear repeatedly). Yes it's frustrating when you see the same unwanted eggs for what feels like forever, but there is no trickery or puzzles or whatever going on. The AP has always run this way.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

The shortest-timed eggs *are* shown up front in the AP, period.

Unless, of course, it's that time of year again where there are holiday eggs in the AP. ;) Because holiday eggs go before all others. And still, both groups of eggs (holiday and non-holiday) are still sorted by time left

I have nothing much to contribute here but I just wanted to confirm that yes, HM & others are right, lowest-time eggs/hatchies are always shown first in the AP, this is how it has always worked (since 2008 at least, I wasn't around before then). Any that seem to "suddenly appear" were on the owner's scroll until that low time and have just been abandoned, and if they disappear and reappear they have been picked up and thrown back in.

I also agree that there is no need for a hatchie AP because hatchies get picked up über-fast (even when they are messy commons) and this page would be empty 99.9% of the time.

Edited by Aalbiel

Hatchies used to go to the top of the ap regardless of time, but they still vanished instantly and rarely showed up. Essentially it was the same as this idea but with the extra benefit of being able to see eggs at the same time, so we can guess how this would turn out. There is really no fun in refreshing a page that will be empty 99% of the time, so this suggestion would be a downgrade.

Abandoned hatchlings are such a rare occurrence relative to the rest of the AP and cave that complicating the site's navigation with an extra dedicated page doesn't make much sense relative to how much it would be used.