Cheystar

CLOSE PLEASE

Since everyone wants to just put people down, forget that people can actually make suggestions around here.

Edited by Cheystar

Well, in theory the ratios should stop that. Breeding commons to the AP is actually a good thing because it makes them show up less in the cave.

^   and with shards that are in cave now everyone breeds and abandons everything now anyhow so it should vary ~ fastest and easiest way to grind them.

...no thanks. I don't want to be limited on how many tries I can make at getting a rarer breed out of a common breed because of some arbitrary AP limit.

Also - "no one wants." False. If that were true, we'd see eggs die in the AP, but the time is above 5d. Also, the eggs that show on the AP are the lowest time eggs there.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

Since shards are limited each week, and I top out easily in the middle of the week, not doing anything special I don't see what the rush is. 

People aren't "trying" for a certain thing, these are them just breeding the same things over and over and dumping them. I've picked a few up to examine them.

While sometimes AP walls can be a little frustrating, I don't want to see them taken away since they help a lot with AP times.

People have always done there 'walls'. They help ratios, and they'll be gone in a few hours. Just be patient.

If anything I wish we could look through more 'pages' of the AP instead of just the one.

True, but I do see people who do that. In addition, even if people do tyat - what is the harm? There are messy collectors and breed hoarders, and there are newbies who might be looking for eggs woth less time. Plus - WHAT would these limits be? HOW would they be decided?

I guess it doesn't matter all that much. But it's frustrating at times when I only have a limited time to "catch some eggs" and all I see are walls of the same ones with no purpose but to dump them. I'm sure I'm not the only one that can't hang around all the time. Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I just don't like to breed just to dump the eggs. Maybe it would help if we had 2 pages in the AP. 

No support here. It helps ratios, I believe, and I quite often find myself breeding loads of the same thing to try and get the breed I wanted.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

No support (even if I also have limited time to hunt as of late). And just two AP pages would make the backlog even worse. We've come a long way from the AP stopping hunting all together.

*Edit to fix. I am still in the midst of a long work day and am ready for bed lol*

Edited by Jazeki

In a game like this where breeding is part of the experience (call it 'fun') I don't think it would do any good to restrict the system with random numbers just because eggs tend to land in the AP.

I've picked up beautiful common checkers or 2G eggs helpful for starting a new lineage from there several times and many players enjoy lower timed eggs no matter which breed (just to get the next trophy or whatever). Also, if you don't like what's available there at a given time just come back a few hours later... 🙃

12 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

No support (even if I also have limited time to hunt as of late). And just two AP pages would make the backlog even worse. We've come a long way from the AP stopping breeding all together.

Hunting, not breeding. Back in the days when 30+ eggs in the AP meant that the way to the cave was "blocked with eggs". 

I don't support this suggestion, either. DC has always had this "live and let live" philosophy, using as few rules as possible. Deciding a limit to breeding, much less what you can breed how often is severely limiting to many playstyles, especially those who rely on getting that darn balloon from a water walker to continue a checker.

Massbreeding is part-ratios, part-lower-ap-time and part...something else, I dunno. On my end I'd like to get one singular kingcrowne egg out of a script x kingcrowne lineage pair, so script egg free-for-all is going to be a thing until I get it. If you really hate the walls, just pick up something momentarily and drop or hatch it later. That clears it up a lot faster than going "ew, a wall" and leaving. Or just hunt in cave. People do trade for random hatchies.

And scripts are less common in breeding than they were when they were released, but if no one breeds them they'll stay stupidly common for literally years. See: many many other commons that are several years old now even though they're uncommon in-cave.

1 hour ago, Cheystar said:

People aren't "trying" for a certain thing, these are them just breeding the same things over and over and dumping them. I've picked a few up to examine them.

You can't know what people's intentions are behind mass-breeding unless they specifically say so. Maybe they have a ton of lineages they are trying to continue, maybe they are trying to get a rarer egg, maybe they are trying to be nice and toss a lot of really pretty lineages to the AP. 

Definitely no support to randomly restricting breeders based on arbitrary limits because some people don't like certain breeds (or whatever is in the AP at the time). Is it frustrating when you are looking for a specific breed and one or two breeds dominate the AP? Sure. But it's also frustrating for some when even-gens dominate the AP, or when there are a ton of CBs in the AP while some are looking for lineages to continue, or for me personally it's really frustrating when all the AP eggs are nice clean 'pretty' lineages with no messies in sight. The AP is frustrating for different reasons depending on what you are looking for, but that doesn't mean others should be restricted. 

One more suggestion, although I can't see the original post because it got edited:

What if no breed can be displayed as more than half of the AP, and then it starts looking further up the queue?

This would mean that, let's say someone breeds a bunch of mints.  When they hit the AP, half the AP is full of mints.  The higher-time non-mint eggs fill the second half of the AP.  People who want variety can still get it, people who want low-time eggs can snag the wall ones (which will actually last longer, with other options).  In theory, perfect.  This might even make it easier, next Halloween, to find things besides shadow walkers and cavern lurkers (though, again, at cost of higher times).

3 hours ago, Cheystar said:

Since everyone wants to just put people down, forget that people can actually make suggestions around here.

Not everyone is out to get you, honestly. Some suggestions are useful in theory but not as doable in practice. Please don't be offended that not everyone liked the idea, it's nothing personal ^^;

Edit: @Cheystar I never saw the original post, but if this was something about AP walls not being so dramatic, I would totally support it. Lol they annoy me a lot. Pilauli suggested a very interesting compromise: I honestly don't think the thread needs to be closed, but open for some discussion and compromises because I'm very much in support of finding some solution to the more extreme cases of AP walls. Would you be willing to discuss these compromises and edit the OP?

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

37 minutes ago, Pilauli said:

One more suggestion, although I can't see the original post because it got edited:

What if no breed can be displayed as more than half of the AP, and then it starts looking further up the queue?

This would mean that, let's say someone breeds a bunch of mints.  When they hit the AP, half the AP is full of mints.  The higher-time non-mint eggs fill the second half of the AP.  People who want variety can still get it, people who want low-time eggs can snag the wall ones (which will actually last longer, with other options).  In theory, perfect.  This might even make it easier, next Halloween, to find things besides shadow walkers and cavern lurkers (though, again, at cost of higher times).

I remember something like this being suggested before. The thread might still be around in suggestions.