angelicdragonpuppy

Nebula BSA: Stargazing (influence Nebula color)

Well... I think anyone who’s had 3+ Nebulas miscolor knows the point of this. XD

Name: Stargazing

Effect: Adult Nebulas use this to influence the chances of an ungendered Nebula hatchling being a certain color. This doesn’t influence gender, but rather color group (ie Blue/Purple versus Red/Green.) 

Text:

- Increases the chance that a growing Nebula dragon will be a particular color. 

> [Name] takes the time to show [target name] a patch of stars it found particularly lovely as a hatchling. [target name] seems interested, but eventually scampers off. Only time will tell how much it liked what it saw.

Mechanics: Has a 75% success rate. I am bad at math, but combined with the normal chances of a certain color group happening, I believe this equals a 7/8th chance of the right color.

Cooldown: 14 days

Lore-wise, Nebulas pick a color when they hatch. Game-mechanics-wise, I believe it’s determined at hatching. If it would be too much trouble to change that, maybe the text could imply the adult Nebula brings an egg somewhere to await its hatching under a particular patch of sky.

Also it might be more logical to have this only work on same-gender groupings; ie if you have a Purple Nebula go stargazing with a female influenced Nebula hatchie it does nothing, but if you have a Red Nebula go stargazing with a female influenced Nebula hatchie the BSA activates.

I know some people are a fan of RNG (I am not one of them, obviously, haha. Blame Fire Emblem!), so if this needs a lower success rate to be palatable, so be it. But feeling we can at least have a LITTLE influence on outcome would be nice—even if it was just a small increase in the odds.

I could've sworn we had a BSA like this back when we had the BSA sub-forum. I know *some* way to influence Nebbies is something wanted by a lot of people! I haven't yet gotten to the point where I care what color mine become, since I need more of all colors and don't do lineages, but I totally support this for everyone else's sake, lol.

14 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I could've sworn we had a BSA like this back when we had the BSA sub-forum. I know *some* way to influence Nebbies is something wanted by a lot of people! I haven't yet gotten to the point where I care what color mine become, since I need more of all colors and don't do lineages, but I totally support this for everyone else's sake, lol.

That was me haha. When people started posting BSAs in suggestions recently I figured I’d bring it back.

I don't really see a reason why not. After all, I know it took me forever to collect all my sprite versions.

Though what are the current ratios for these guys?

As long as this doesn't affect the "normal" color-rate (so when no BSA is used), I'm all for this! I like the 'lore' behind it too!

55 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Though what are the current ratios for these guys?

If I remember correctly, both alt and non-alt of Nebulae should have the same chance of appearing. Though the alts were introduced later than the blue/purple ones, the ratios have evened out sufficiently by now.

Support from me! Mainly because it always breaks my heart whenever I see a checker with Nebbies turn out the wrong colour 😢

While I can sympathize, knowing full well that, most of the time, nebulas just decide to color wrong, I'm still not too sure about this, although I have to admit that I really, really like the way this works with the nebula's description. But it would also mean that males need the ability to color either blue or red, and the females purple or green. Because imagine a green nebula showing a hatchling their favorite piece of night sky, and the hatchling then turns female...

13 minutes ago, olympe said:

While I can sympathize, knowing full well that, most of the time, nebulas just decide to color wrong, I'm still not too sure about this, although I have to admit that I really, really like the way this works with the nebula's description. But it would also mean that males need the ability to color either blue or red, and the females purple or green. Because imagine a green nebula showing a hatchling their favorite piece of night sky, and the hatchling then turns female...

Perhaps that's part of the drawback for this suggestion, that you should verify before hand what gender the hatchling will be or risk a failure? 

Or if you are out of Aeons and Pinks, chance it and pray that it works.

Like normal breeding!

Maybe it just affects the brand of alting?

Like if a purple Neb shows off its constellation to a hatchling, it just means you are more likely to get blue or purple.

You'll still need an Influence or Precog for gender confirmation.

Though does that mean red/green Nebs have Red/Green color blindness?

(Purple & Blue are right next each other, while Red & Green are complimentary and as such, harder to confuse without visual defects.)

Support! I'm in favor of having it work regardless of gender, but I'd take it in whatever form.

Support. I'd like it to just work with color group, but if it has to be gender based, just make it auto-fail on a hatchling of the wrong gender. Could also be that the hatchling (lore-wise) decided to look at something else.

I'm also not opposed to doing it to an egg, for when the dragon hatches.

3 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Eggs can't see though.

"for when the dragon hatches"

Like ADP said, the dragon takes the egg and waits for it to hatch to show it the sky.

Right, but as soon as the egg hatches and the hatchie looks up, voila. Working eyes aimed at the specific patch of stars that give the specific color. 

I like this one!

1 minute ago, Keileon said:

"for when the dragon hatches"

Like ADP said, the dragon takes the egg and waits for it to hatch to show it the sky.

"Do not worry, small unhatched child! I will make sure your first sight will be of the MOST BEAUTIFUL galaxy!

Lol

Still feels weird though. Understandable, but weird.

Nebulas are basically the draconic version of ancient world astronomers. Adorably eccentric weirdos that everyone else thinks are insane. XD

I would really prefer the hatchie version, but since I’ve been told that color is set at hatching, I wanted to throw out an alternative if TJ doesn’t want to mess with that.

*egg hatches*

Adult Neb: "Yes, child. Gaze upon Magnificence!!

Hatchling: ...

"Meh."

Adult Neb: *scandalized gasp*

BSA FAIL

lol

2 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

*egg hatches*

Adult Neb: "Yes, child. Gaze upon Magnificence!!

Hatchling: ...

"Meh."

Adult Neb: *scandalized gasp*

BSA FAIL

lol

TJ plz make this the actual text, verbatim

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Let's just hope they don't hatch blind XD

Then you end up with a pure black Nebula. :(