Malurosa

Alter BSA

The inner lover of Genetics in me is screaming NOP. 

43 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Kinda like you're not gonna breed a great dane from a chihuahua x yorkie mix

For this exact same reason.

Breeding cannot even produce the same breed as a grandparent if it's not one of the parents (which could actually made sense), so this seems too out there for me, sorry. "Magic" can only go so far. 😕 

42 minutes ago, relaks said:

Breeding cannot even produce the same breed as a grandparent if it's not one of the parents (which could actually made sense), so this seems too out there for me, sorry. "Magic" can only go so far. 😕 

Actually, some breeds can do exactly that. Even if you disregard seasonals, day/night glories, sunrises/sunsets and dark/original lumina. PB xenos can do that due to quirky breeding behavior. Ultraviolets, even if bred with each other, can produce spitfires. GoNs and sinomorphs breed avatars and zyus, respectively. And avatars can be quite... quirky, too. Not to mention that it's possible to construct lineages involving hybrids where both a grandparent and the child are the same kind of hybrid. Like this, for example: breed bluna x water for a water and bluna x skywing for a skywing. Breed the offspring (water x skywing) for another bluna...

Edited by olympe

I don’t really care about the suggestion, but I’ll play devil’s advocate:

- This is obviously based on magic, not actual genetics. Anyone questioning the inter relatedness of Pinks and Reds is missing the point. I can see a chaotic dragon having fun messing with dragons and giving their offspring a radically different appearance just to amuse itself.

- Practically, this could work like a slightly more complex version of stripes. Assign every dragon a basic color (if you want also add a ‘dark’ and ‘light’ variant of each) and they can then produce any dragon within the color range between the parents, ala Flight Rising. So a yellow dragon mixed with a blue could produce any shade of green. A dark blue and a light blue could produce any medium blue. A dark red and dark blue produce dark purple. And so on. Once rules are in place it could just run its course. 

All that being said, while I can see this working, not sure Duotones are the breed for it. Most dragons with BSAs have a bit more logic behind the association than just the name... even if just a bit more.

19 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

This is obviously based on magic, not actual genetics. Anyone questioning the inter relatedness of Pinks and Reds is missing the point. I can see a chaotic dragon having fun messing with dragons and giving their offspring a radically different appearance just to amuse itself.

Misfits? XD Although it would probably make more sense if misfits actually exchanged eggs, aka caused an "adoption". (Then again, I doubt dragons are stupid enough to fall for this. Drakes, maybe. But not dragons.)

6 minutes ago, olympe said:

Misfits? XD Although it would probably make more sense if misfits actually exchanged eggs, aka caused an "adoption". (Then again, I doubt dragons are stupid enough to fall for this. Drakes, maybe. But not dragons.)

Welllll, dragons are also stupid enough to continue living with us even after we try to stab them multiple times, so... temporary insanity defense? XD

Misfits were actually the first one I thought of too, haha. It’s a different angle then the chaos magic one, for better or worse.

One thing though.

This essentially turns the resulting dragon into a hybrid.

That is a change to the concept of the dragons since all the example dragons were designed as standalone dragons as are most of the dragons in the cave.

If this is to be possible, you are going to need permission from all the artists.

And you wouldn't be able to use dragons without permission.

So yeah.

Its an interesting idea, but not particularly implementable?

Plus, one thing that is always stressed in the Dragon Requests forum is that "Because magic" is never a good enough reason for something.

You are going have to give a relatively reasonable explanation as to why Duotones can cause other dragon species to spontaneous become hybrids or this won't go anywhere.

5 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

One thing though.

That is a change to the concept of the dragons since all the example dragons were designed as standalone dragons as are most of the dragons in the cave.

If this is to be possible, you are going to need permission from all the artists.

So yeah.

Plus, one thing that is always stressed in the Dragon Requests forum is that "Because magic" is never a good enough reason for something.

You are going have to give a relatively reasonable explanation as to why Duotones can cause other dragon species to spontaneous become hybrids or this won't go anywhere.

THIS. Allllll this. 

I really honestly don't get this idea at all. Take existing dragons, with their own history and lore, and retroactively make them hybrids of other dragons? That's basically completely rewriting DragonCave's history. No Thanks. Green dragons and Black dragons do not have the ability to make Dark Green dragons, and same goes for all the other combinations. That's going against *everything* we currently know about a *ton* of different breeds, and I can't imagine that would fly with ALL the creators/etc. 

As someone else said, if people are interested in more hybrids the best thing to do is to go to Dragon Requests and submit a concept for a new hybrid dragon based on dragons already in-cave. Not take already-existing dragons and say they are suddenly hybrids.

I also don't see how Duotones would fit this idea at all. Just pointing to their name isn't good enough, there needs to be actual *reason* for a BSA dragon to perform the action (as per mods and TJ, many times over the years...). Just going 'oh magic explains it all' doesn't really fly when it comes to BSAs. That applies to the BSA itself, but also the dragon doing it... Duotones are 'extremely nervous and indecisive', both heads control the body, etc etc, there is absolutely nothing in their description to hint that they *could*, or *would*, affect another dragon's breeding. What reason would they have for doing this? Why are they influencing a random dragon's breeding results? I would be much less opposed to this idea in general if it came with actual reasoning and explanation, rather then just 'this should happen because I want it to'.

Again... they wouldn’t be actual hybrids; nothing here is genetic, no one is suggesting it is, no special permissions would be needed. It’s basically a dragon using magic to cause chaos. “Haha, that Red dragon is in love with a White dragon?? Wouldn’t it make sense for them to have a PINK BABY?? >:3 *insert chaos magic warping the egg here*”

Or a Misfit sneakily swapping eggs. Or whatever. I agree Duotones aren’t a good choice and I’m still not really into the suggestion, but I think you guys are making this out to be something different than it is.

It’s a magical (or practical joke, depending) mashup of dragons based on color mixing, not a declaration that all Pink dragons are the result of Reds hooking up with Whites. 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

17 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Again... they wouldn’t be actual hybrids; nothing here is genetic, no one is suggesting it is, no special permissions would be needed. It’s basically a dragon using magic to cause chaos. “Haha, that Red dragon is in love with a White dragon?? Wouldn’t it make sense for them to have a PINK BABY?? >:3 *insert chaos magic warping the egg here*”

Or a Misfit sneakily swapping eggs. Or whatever. I agree Duotones aren’t a good choice and I’m still not really into the suggestion, but I think you guys are making this out to be something different than it is.

It’s a magical (or practical joke, depending) mashup of dragons based on color mixing, not a declaration that all Pink dragons are the result of Reds hooking up with Whites. 

I'm pretty sure you need an artist's/concepter's permission to change the breeding capabilities of a dragon, though. You need permission to make hybrids, after all. And if breeding two things results in something that is neither A nor B.. then it is a hybrid. 

I see no need for this concept, and as far as 'swapping' eggs go, then it's not actually those dragons' child and shouldn't have them in their lineage.

Just now, Dragon_Arbock said:

I'm pretty sure you need an artist's/concepter's permission to change the breeding capabilities of a dragon, though. You need permission to make hybrids, after all. And if breeding two things results in something that is neither A nor B.. then it is a hybrid. 

I see no need for this concept, and as far as 'swapping' eggs go, then it's not actually those dragons' child and shouldn't have them in their lineage.

Did the creators of all the dragons that got branded "Creation aligned" have to sign off on them being able to breed Avatars of Creation? I doubt it. Because this has nothing to do with the lore of the affected dragons themselves, it's all about whatever dragon is being snarky and messing around with magic. And if it did go to the Misfit route, it could be something like the Changelings of old folk tales, where the parents suspect something is off but the child is still considered their own.

If this does become a Misfit concept it should totally be called "Make scrambled eggs" btw

50 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

That's not what the lineage is going to say though, and that's the only way to track who is or isn't the parent of dragons. That's what defines parentage for the game. So regardless if it doesn't work on genetics, to the game, it will on the level of game mechanics.

And what you suggest is not what the OP describes. It's implied that the BSA affects breeding, which would imply genetic information.

It would make more sense to have an adoption BSA if you want different dragons for an egg.

And where would the egg come from if not by breeding. Would it change the bred of a dragon egg? And why the parents accept a egg that is suddenly completely different? Even vampire eggs can get chucked despite the presence of the sire. They have even less incentive with a sudden breed change.

And it still would require permission, because this BSA, regardless of what kind, changes the breeding pattern of the dragon breedb which someone had to design. For example, instead of, "red x white = red or white," it will be "red x white = red or white or w/BSA, pink," which is not the same. 

Edit: Cause I was responding to the previous comment.

D

24 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Did the creators of all the dragons that got branded "Creation aligned" have to sign off on them being able to breed Avatars of Creation? I doubt it. Because this has nothing to do with the lore of the affected dragons themselves, it's all about whatever dragon is being snarky and messing around with magic. And if it did go to the Misfit route, it could be something like the Changelings of old folk tales, where the parents suspect something is off but the child is still considered their own.

If this does become a Misfit concept it should totally be called "Make scrambled eggs" btw

Avatars aren't the same as they were an introduction of a new dragon line complete with lore and reasoning (GoN are "gods" and thus beget demigods when bred with mortals.) It was essentially the introduction of new hybrids with broad breeding requirements. And honestly, TJ probably has a way to contact the artists. We have no idea how long the concept was worked on before hitting the cave.

Excluding all references to lore, this concept goes after specific pre-established breeds and changes how they work in game. This changes breeding mechanics. 

Edited by Shokomon
Rewording things to clearly explain what I mean.

@angelicdragonpuppy
Eh, I don't really know. Some dragons actually don't breed any Avatars at all, so I don't know what went on behind that scene. It is possible some of the creators refused.

But you mentioned Flight Rising before. FR was always designed to work that way. DC was not. We have actual hybrids, so if people want more Red dragon + Blue dragon =  some dragon colored purple, then I suggest making a new hybrid, not magically altering or switching eggs. After all.. if it's just a switch I'd sure love it if the BSA could give me a 2nd gen prize (see this can easily be taken too far).

@Dragon_Arbock neutral dragons are few and far between, but they're breeds that, by and large, seem to DESERVE being neutral; I don't believe you'll find a dragon described with any strong words like "flaming" or "poisonous" associated with neutral. That makes me think it was done without creator permission--because it didn't NEED creator permission, because it had zero bearing on their actual concepts. Since TJ is the only one who knows 100%, though, I think other pros/cons should be looked at rather than shutting everything down based on something we don't know for sure. (As for the Prize thing--while they could be excluded, even if they DID happen, I doubt 'mutt' 2gs would have much value. 2g deadlines are more or less the same idea and have almost no value whatsoever)

@Shokomon see my thoughts on breeding permission above; I still don't think this is something that would need to be signed off on any more than Avatars or colored Stripes.

I already explained my thoughts on where the egg would come from, but I'll reclarify. I see this BSA working one of two ways:

- As OP suggests, a dragon magically influences a pair of dragons so that the next baby they breed, while genetically theirs, has its appearance based instead on color mixture due to the interference of magic. So it IS their offspring, but because of interfering magic dragon going "muahaha, yellow plus blue equals GREEN!," the egg is altered in its appearance to look like some green breed of dragon.

- Or if you go the changeling route, then the dragons SUSPECT it isn't their baby, but choose to accept it into the family line as one of their own anyway, because they can never QUITE prove that it's not theirs, just with some major ancestral throwback.

As for why the parents would accept a suddenly different egg... why do dragons serenely watch us bite / neglect / smash their eggs? Why do they trust them to us at all? Why are red dragons, which are described as sometimes EATING other dragons, charged with incubation duties? Why can we try to stab a dragon half a dozen times and it still sticks around? Etc etc. Yes, logic has a definite place in things--that's why I support a different dragon than Duotones for this--but as long as there's a reasonable connection between things, and it makes gameplay fun, I think it's best not to be too finicky. Suspension of disbelief, my friend! As long as a good fit for the BSA is found, and people want it, and if it isn't a permissions required thing--then I think it would fit comfortably within the realm of game logic.

...And again overall I'm neutral on this, but I find friendly debates like this entertaining, haha. Once a devil's advocate, ALWAYS a devil's advocate...

Well, I think a lot of us see deadlines as 'cheating'. Maybe it's true if this as actually put in we'd see it the same. I just don't see the need for it when we already have real hybrids. We have plenty of cool ways to make lineages where the descendants are neither parent A nor parent B (Avatars, Xenos, Zyus, Coppers, actual hybrids, Alts, etc) I guess I don't see why we need a BSA that takes a normal dragon and makes it this. If the BSA made an entirely new dragon, that'd be cool to me, or even if it made a different colored pre-existing dragon (like a purple Red or something to that effect), but just taking a Vine and making it the child of a Black and an Earth is just eh, very eh to me.

Honestly, if we are going with the 'magic dragon interfering hahaha!' reasoning, then why would the OP's BSA idea even apply at all? Why would a mischievous dragon magically interfering with breeding *always* interfere in the exact same way (dragon A + dragon B = dragon C)? Why would they choose to turn the baby into an already-known breed instead of some crazy monstrosity that would totally freak out the parents? I really don't think that makes much more sense then the original idea. 

Whatever the 'reasonings', though, I still think hybrids should be new dragons specifically designed to be hybrids. I don't like the idea of already-established breeds suddenly becoming 'hybrids', no matter the reasoning behind it.

Now you guys are talking! XD While I think this would be POSSIBLE to add I’m in much the same camp as you. I do think it would open up some wild lineage possibilities, and I’ll confess I like the idea of a crazy draconic sorcerer meddling with everyone’s eggs based on color theory ( @HeatherMarie you have a point about why not just make a monstrosity—but I was imagining the BSA breed as the above psychedelic magical artists, thus color combos rather than nightmares XD).

But do I NEED this? No, not really. Hence my original and ongoing neutrality.

This absolutely would not be suitable to include with Copper breeding. Their breeding mechanic is complicated enough without adding more. I'm not sure my permission would be needed for any of my creations to be included, but my answer unequivocally would be no for Coppers. They were the only one of my breeds included in your "color name" list so they're the only one I'll mention here.

Not a particular fan of this in any case. I wouldn't be completely opposed if it just involves breeding commons to commons.

Nnnnnnnnnno? Why? I think this is completely unnecessary and just makes things too complicated.

Would this work better as a BSA for Albino Dragons? because they have the oil on them, so it could emulsify the other dragon's genes into paint?

8 hours ago, Shokomon said:

One thing though.

So yeah.

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

THIS. Allllll this. 

I really honestly don't get this idea at all. Take existing dragons, with their own history and lore, and retroactively make them hybrids of other dragons? That's basically completely rewriting DragonCave's history. No Thanks. Green dragons and Black dragons do not have the ability to make Dark Green dragons, and same goes for all the other combinations. That's going against *everything* we currently know about a *ton* of different breeds, and I can't imagine that would fly with ALL the creators/etc. 

As someone else said, if people are interested in more hybrids the best thing to do is to go to Dragon Requests and submit a concept for a new hybrid dragon based on dragons already in-cave. Not take already-existing dragons and say they are suddenly hybrids.

I also don't see how Duotones would fit this idea at all. Just pointing to their name isn't good enough, there needs to be actual *reason* for a BSA dragon to perform the action (as per mods and TJ, many times over the years...). Just going 'oh magic explains it all' doesn't really fly when it comes to BSAs. That applies to the BSA itself, but also the dragon doing it... Duotones are 'extremely nervous and indecisive', both heads control the body, etc etc, there is absolutely nothing in their description to hint that they *could*, or *would*, affect another dragon's breeding. What reason would they have for doing this? Why are they influencing a random dragon's breeding results? I would be much less opposed to this idea in general if it came with actual reasoning and explanation, rather then just 'this should happen because I want it to'.

I was neutral, meh, would not use. I have come right around to anti, after reading these posts, And Fiona clinched it for me.:

3 hours ago, Fiona said:

This absolutely would not be suitable to include with Copper breeding. Their breeding mechanic is complicated enough without adding more. I'm not sure my permission would be needed for any of my creations to be included, but my answer unequivocally would be no for Coppers. They were the only one of my breeds included in your "color name" list so they're the only one I'll mention here.

Not a particular fan of this in any case. I wouldn't be completely opposed if it just involves breeding commons to commons.

We don't need this and it would be FAR too complicated. 

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

THIS. Allllll this. 

Thank youuuu yes completely agree with this!

Sorry, but I'm so incredibly against this idea. As much as people claim it might make "interesting lineages", I really feel that it'd do more harm than good. It'd really mess with so many mechanics we already have, like Fiona said, and would make breeding so much more complicated. As well, I don't feel like "but magic" is a good enough argument to justify it happening. I fail to see what kind of magic could completely change two dragons' genetic makeup enough that they'd produce a completely unrelated offspring. As was mentioned before, if you breed a Yorkshire terrier with a Chihuahua you could somehow get a Great Dane out of it? I fail to see how any amount of magic could make that happen. The genes would have to come from somewhere. Noooo.

8 hours ago, Shokomon said:

That's not what the lineage is going to say though, and that's the only way to track who is or isn't the parent of dragons. That's what defines parentage for the game. So regardless if it doesn't work on genetics, to the game, it will on the level of game mechanics.

A lineage is what we humans write down and attach to a dragon. For some reason, we attach that note even to eggs that we subsequently abandon, but of course "caveborn" dragons don't come with that note - you don't really think these eggs pop out of nowhere into existence, do you? That makes absolutely no narrative sense at all. The Market trader, whoever that mysterious person is, also refuses to attach that note - you probably wouldn't want to know what inbred beasts are being sold there.

So if we, the human owner of a pair of dragons, or even of just an egg, have that note that says "this egg has this and that parent", we believe it to the last letter - so much, that we probably wouldn't even notice if a Misfit or another creature swapped noted between eggs or just copied another one's lineage with a zap of mana. Or swapped the egg itself before the mother dragon can identify it as hers. Humans have done this with birds already ... plentifully ...

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Honestly, if we are going with the 'magic dragon interfering hahaha!' reasoning, then why would the OP's BSA idea even apply at all? Why would a mischievous dragon magically interfering with breeding *always* interfere in the exact same way (dragon A + dragon B = dragon C)? Why would they choose to turn the baby into an already-known breed instead of some crazy monstrosity that would totally freak out the parents? I really don't think that makes much more sense then the original idea. 

I think "Dragon C" should rather be "Dragon from colour group C" since we do have 222 unique breeds already, with multiples for most colours. So the result would still be somewhat random.

The suspect with the BSA could be any kind of creature with a knack for colours, really, and a sick sense of humour. Also, Magi aligned (an element of change).

5 hours ago, TCA said:

Nnnnnnnnnno? Why? I think this is completely unnecessary and just makes things too complicated.

Unnecessary? Eh, so was Incubate before Siyats showed up. The only thing it ever did was shortening that hardcoded "cannot hatch before" line. It did "speed up" the game, but lorewise, it wasn't really necessary.

Too complicated? You don't really need to use it - it's a BSA. You don't need to accept the results in trades just like most traders already don't accept otherwise "imperfect" lineages.

29 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Unnecessary? Eh, so was Incubate before Siyats showed up. The only thing it ever did was shortening that hardcoded "cannot hatch before" line. It did "speed up" the game, but lorewise, it wasn't really necessary.

Too complicated? You don't really need to use it - it's a BSA. You don't need to accept the results in trades just like most traders already don't accept otherwise "imperfect" lineages.

Incubate isn't unnecessary, it serves a very useful purpose of allowing a *whole day* to be taken off the time until death. It can help with people who are going to be AFK, help with Neglecteds, help with freeing space on your scroll if you're egg-locked?? Very helpful purpose. Having a dragon randomly put another dragon in two unrelated species' lineage, however... Why is that needed? I understand not every BSA is needed, like Enrage/Pacify and stuff, but those BSAs are harmless, whereas concocting a separate breed into two dragons' lineages is pretty harmful.

And yes, too complicated. As Fiona pointed out, a few dragon species already have complicated breeding systems which would be messed up by the addition of this BSA. It would require a lot of coding, a lot of different possibilities,  working out what dragon falls into what colour group - of which there could be disagreements, problems with body typing, some artists might not be happy with it (we've already had one artist not give their permission on some of their works), and lore-wise it's messy.

I really fail to see any upsides to this.

@RealWilliamShakespeare She was being tongue in cheek; nothing in the game is strictly “necessary,” but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be enjoyable. And since it’s a BSA you willfully afflict on your own dragons, it would hardly be harmful. If you like it you’d do it, if not—don’t.

I also see no reason this has to tie into existing breeding mechanics. I imagine using “blend” or whatever variant of it would trump the next breeding results, just like during Holidays they take over and produce Holiday multiclutches no matter the mate. You could argue that the underlying color system is too complex (even with dragons just sorted into general color groups, it would be a lot, yes), but it wouldn’t be complex on the basis of existing mechanics, because when the BSA is used it overrides them.

I am starting to think that something like this might make sense for a new breed entirely, though. Some white magical critter that absorbs the color of its breeding partner to produce colorful babies, which can then mix to make other colors. So basically more fanciful, less randomized stripes, where blue x red couldn’t possibly make white or red or blue or black, but always makes green.

33 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I really fail to see any upsides to this.

It's just another option for lineage building. Another fun activity to do if "always checkers and stairs" has become a bit stale.

(At least I see the fun in it. I suspect the OP also does.)

I think it should not override existing breeding specialties like Xenos, Summonables, time-based breeds and Coppers.

Say, red and green Coppers would never produce a brown Copper, but instead some other brownish dragon (or the Copper of the mother's colour, if the BSA has a fail chance).

Also (short memory), thanks @angelicdragonpuppy :)

Edited by Ruby Eyes