Malurosa

Alter BSA

The alter BSA can be used by the Misfit Pygmuy Dragon. It causes the next breeding to be able to result in most commonly found dragons.

It has the description:

"The misfit steals an egg and switches it for the next egg made"

Edited by Malurosa

I like the idea - allows interesting new lineage patterns! I don't have much hope for it though XD

edit: I liked the original idea with the colours. I do NOT care at all about what this suggestion has been changed to. :dry:

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Doesn't sound appealing to me personally so I probably wouldn't use it but if it's just a BSA and not an inherent game mechanic I don't see any harm in implementing it... (kinda "don't like, don't use")

As long as it stays a BSA. It's not something I'd want to use.  

Would be interesting for lineages, I suppose. Ambivalent leaning toward support.

I'm totally neutral on the concept. I probably would never use it, but as long as it is a BSA action and doesn't interfere with lineages then I'm not really against it.

I'm not sure what it is about the Duotone dragon that would allow it to perform this action, though. Can you explain that a little more?

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

I'm not sure what it is about the Duotone dragon that would allow it to perform this action, though. Can you explain that a little more?

It has a 2 colour name theme

I don't get it. How in the world can you get a dark green dragon by breeding together a black and a green dragon? Or any other combinations you listed? Dark green dragon, despite its name, is as far as I know NOT related to either of those breeds. Just because Duotones have a "2 colour name theme", it does not mean it could somehow make... say, a red dragon and a white dragon suddenly produce a pink, which does not seem to be related to either dragon species.

There is little explanation as to how a pink dragon can alter the gender of a dragon. Or how a snake and a Yi could create offspring.

I guess it really boils down to "colour magic". There's not much RL science that would allow for any of this. Neither would Mana or flying lizards, though.

Pinks are a different thing though. There *are* RL examples on how e.g. temperature can change an unhatched creature's gender. I think turtles and tortoises are among those.

A snake and a Yi? :blink: What's that now?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Pinks actually have the explanation of shifting of the eggs certain way to influence the gender. This is how alligators and some other reptiles do it to influence gender of their offspring, making the temperature affect the result.

I personally can't see how Duotone, which is "extremely nervous and indecisive" breed due to having dual personality, could even do this sort of thing just because of "2 color name theme". Let alone them even possibly crashing if one of the heads gets distracted. So... I really have no clue how that kind of dragon could actually concentrate enough to make this sort of magic.

10 minutes ago, Moonlightelf said:

I personally can't see how Duotone, which is "extremely nervous and indecisive" breed due to having dual personality, could even do this sort of thing just because of "2 color name theme". Let alone them even possibly crashing if one of the heads gets distracted. So... I really have no clue how that kind of dragon could actually concentrate enough to make this sort of magic.

It could be an accident XD Just rename "Blend" into "Crash & Clash" and it releases a spark of magic towards the dragon which you just moved close to it!

I think this would really unnecessarily complicate the site.

What evidence is there that Red Dragons or White Dragons are so related to the Pink Dragons that they'd be able to produce them without a Pink being present? Even if the Red had one Pink parent and one Red parent, I still really wouldn't support this.

Dragons should only be able to produce offspring of their own breeds, or hybrids, in my opinion.

Ehh. Not a big fan of this?

Feels a bit like saying "Hey, german shepherds have pointy ears like corgis, and dachshunds have stubby legs like corgis, if we breed a german shepherd to a dachshund we'll get a corgi!"

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Feels a bit like saying "Hey, german shepherds have pointy ears like corgis, and dachshunds have stubby legs like corgis, if we breed a german shepherd to a dachshund we'll get a corgi!"

But only if all dogs had to be a specific pure breed, as dragons do.

11 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Ehh. Not a big fan of this?

To be fair that isn't really far from how a lot of dog breeds were made

If you can come up with an explanation or a proper breed to have the BSA, it might be a fun idea just to create interesting lineages. Not NEEDED, and would only fill a small niche, but still fun.

While I'm slightly intrigued (and there is a clear opt-in feature), I don't think this is going to work. Because we currently have roughly 200 different dragon breeds in the cave. That means there are 1/2*200*201 = 20100 different combinations to take care of. The mere logistics would be a nightmare.

1 minute ago, olympe said:

While I'm slightly intrigued (and there is a clear opt-in feature), I don't think this is going to work. Because we currently have roughly 200 different dragon breeds in the cave. That means there are 1/2*200*201 = 20100 different combinations to take care of. The mere logistics would be a nightmare.

This would only involve dragons that have a colour/shade in their name.

Well, in that case - Luminas are out. Arias are out. Because, honestly, there aren't too many color/shade dragons in DC.

Ochredrakes - but these are in a different breeding group. Same goes for Dark Mysts.

Black, red, royal crimson, light green (pebble), dark green (vine), light blue (water), royal blue, purple, pink, white, grey, gold and silver and copper. Maybe even nebulas (red/green/blue/purple), luminas (original/dark), lunar heralds (gold/silver/bronze/indigo), prizes (gold/silver/bronze/SA), stripes (white/red/green/blue/black), siyats (green/blue/purple) and maybe sweetlings and solstices.

That's a rather small number, which would make it easier to code. But the lack of some colors (orange, yellow, brown) makes things rather futile. Also, some things like a possible light green x light blue = mint doesn't really seem to work in my mind.

ETA: I forgot about dorsals and ridgewings... Oops.

Edited by olympe

This is interesting, but I don't understand how it could work. We have numerous dragon breeds of each color. How would it be decided which is the "blended" result? Going simply by name doesn't make sense, as there are still other elements to the breed that would influence offspring (example: two wingless parents producing a winged baby shouldn't be possible). Also, some of these combinations are already possible, like Lumina x Black resulting in Dark Lumina. 

2 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

two wingless parents producing a winged baby shouldn't be possible

Why is that the case?

red + blue = purple, yes? Try red dorsal x light blue dragon (or red gemshard x blue gemshard) = purple/purple ridgewing/purple siyat, and you've got it.

Offspring aren't usually drastically different from their parents. Adding a whole set of limbs the parents (and grandparents or other ancestors) don't have is kind of weird. Imagine crossing two wyrms and getting a western with two sets of wings or more.

Edited by olympe

I see no need for this. None of these dragons are even genetically related. I could see if a dragon was a breed that neither of its parents are, but maybe its grandparent was, but I can't see this just coming out of nowhere.

If you want more hybrids, suggest more hybrids, but not existing breeds being made retroactively 'hybrids'.

29 minutes ago, olympe said:

Ochredrakes - but these are in a different breeding group.

Glaucus is also a colour name.

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

None of these dragons are even genetically related.

Actually, they all are somewhat related, or they couldn't even breed with each other (not counting the D2P subgroups).

12 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Actually, they all are somewhat related, or they couldn't even breed with each other (not counting the D2P subgroups).

Well, let me phrase that better. Related, yes, but I highly doubt a royal blue and a white are carrying the genetic material to breed a water, for example. You're not gonna get that unless somewhere back in their lineage they have a leviathan ancestor. Kinda like you're not gonna breed a great dane from a chihuahua x yorkie mix