osmarks

Search scroll for specific breed

As much as it would help to find a certain breed on other people's scrolls, it would also mess up what I've seen many of them do: naming dragons a certain way to communicate their forum name / another way to contact them or something else they want visitors to know about them / their scroll...

I can understand both in a way :o

If there was an *option* people could check, like 'yes I'll allow others to sort my scroll differently', then I wouldn't mind. I see why some people would like that, both for themselves and for others viewing their scroll. But some people wouldn't. Honestly I see it as similar to someone going in and renaming my dragons, or switching my Prize sprites for different colors... It doesn't matter if it doesn't affect the way *I* view it, that's still screwing with my scroll without my permission. That's still going 'this random user's convenience is more important then how *I* want my scroll to look', which... No. 

1 minute ago, Soulsborne said:

As much as it would help to find a certain breed on other people's scrolls, it would also mess up what I've seen many of them do: naming dragons a certain way to communicate their forum name / another way to contact them or something else they want visitors to know about them / their scroll...

If people want to check that, they can just turn off the breed filtering thing and look.

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

If there was an *option* people could check, like 'yes I'll allow others to sort my scroll differently', then I wouldn't mind. I see why some people would like that, both for themselves and for others viewing their scroll. But some people wouldn't. Honestly I see it as similar to someone going in and renaming my dragons, or switching my Prize sprites for different colors... It doesn't matter if it doesn't affect the way *I* view it, that's still screwing with my scroll without my permission. That's still going 'this random user's convenience is more important then how *I* want my scroll to look', which... No. 

I really don't understand what you're saying here. It's a list of dragons. People might want to filter it to find stuff you have.

26 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That's still going 'this random user's convenience is more important then how *I* want my scroll to look', which... No. 

Right on.

24 minutes ago, osmarks said:

If people want to check that, they can just turn off the breed filtering thing and look.

I really don't understand what you're saying here. It's a list of dragons. People might want to filter it to find stuff you have.

And maybe I'd prefer that they didn't.

35 minutes ago, osmarks said:

But why? What is so important about *my* scroll that someone can't stand looking at it the way *I* want? Actually your point here is a point *against* this, for many people. What possible reason could someone have for needing to find something on someone else's scroll, if it's not to then ask for a breeding or trade? What purpose does this actually serve, besides making it easier for random users to find stuff to ask for? I think many people would count that as a 'con', making it easier for people to find 'valuable' dragons to beg to be bred. 

I really can't see any reason some random user would *need* to see my scroll differently, unless it would benefit them in some way. Since many users don't want to be contacted about breeding (and there is no direct communication in-game anyways), I fail to see the point of 'wanting to filter to find stuff'. The only other possible reason I can think of is if you are searching random scrolls to unlock Encyclopedia entries (as I have done) and it would be more convenient to sort the scroll by breed... Still doesn't seem like a good reason to ignore the actual scroll-owner's wishes.

Okay, I suppose you may have a point about it making unwanted breeding requests slightly easier, though otherwise this seems to be mostly subjective, I guess, and probably not worth arguing over.

It certainly does make for unwanted breeding requests.My scroll is quite easy to scroll through anyway, and I am known for breeding for free But I was startled to receive a request for no less than 137 assorted shimmers.

I really don't want anything on offer that would make that kind of thing easier for anyone.

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It certainly does make for unwanted breeding requests.My scroll is quite easy to scroll through anyway, and I am known for breeding for free But I was startled to receive a request for no less than 137 assorted shimmers.

I really don't want anything on offer that would make that kind of thing easier for anyone.

breed me ALL your shimmers!  o.O  lol   

I'm not sure I would care if others could resort my scroll.  My sort is very custom and only makes sense to me.  Also I've got 100+ that are not sorted correctly at the top because I've been lazy lately.  I don't mind breeding requests as long as they're polite and honestly, it would be so very useful for things like the encyclopedia.  I think Ive got the shortest scroll for the 9/10 year members (less than 2000 dragons and only 4 pages at 200 a piece) and finding those armies of dragons you need from someone can be really tricky sometimes with 20 or more pages to look at)

8 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

breed me ALL your shimmers!  o.O  lol   

No - not all. It was weird ! Actually I think there were some tins in there as well.

Well before this sort of derails, I will just say that I personally would love a search feature for all DC pages for your /dragons , /breed , and other section pages where you have to sift through your entire scroll to find a certain individual.

Edited by Dohaerys

I wish we had something that highlighted dragons by breed. That way noone needs to worry about getting their scroll messy by visitors. But both visitors and owner can still see how many of a certain breed there is on a scroll.

No thanks. If you want to see what's on my scroll, you can trawl it :lol:

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No thanks. If you want to see what's on my scroll, you can trawl it :lol:

I pass. I have enough scrolls to trawl through over at the TGT. X_X

Bump for this. The "add dragons" filter function that the "New Groups page" has, would be a blessing on the "select dragon to breed" page and your general scroll!

Edited by High Lord November

As long as it's only on your own scroll.

22 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

As long as it's only on your own scroll.

Of course!

It's kind of annoying to have to make specific groups for everything if you want to easily find something on your own scroll. At one point I had alphabetic groups, but it was too much upkeep. It's tedious if I want to check a potential mate, but have to guess the name and hope I land on the right page. Since the filter function is already in use for groups, I hope it wouldn't be too hard to add to your main page and the breeding page. 

I SUPPORT 

Oh my goodness this would be perfect especially when your trying to unlock a dragon in the encyclopedia I'd rather search for that breed then to blindly look through countless pages only to find out that user didn't have what I was looking for in the first place.

Sort your own scroll once a month. And use the encyclopaedia helper thread. If you say you want to see xyz, someone will point you in the right direction. I don't want other sorting my scroll - no, not even when I can't see them doing it. 

As I said before:

It certainly does make for unwanted breeding requests.My scroll is quite easy to scroll through anyway, and I am known for breeding for free. But I was startled to receive a request for no less than 137 assorted shimmers.

Support for this, both on your own scroll and on other scrolls. Maybe throw in an option to disable other people sorting your scroll if that'll appease the masses, but I don't see too much of a problem with it.

On 11/17/2018 at 12:03 PM, Soulsborne said:

My take, too. I can see pros and cons to this.

It WOULD come in handy for Encylopedia fulfillers, for sure, and it might come in handy for trading situations.

BUT I can also understand the point of view of those that put a lot of effort into their personalized scroll sorting.

I myself also have and sort of consider it one of the things that makes my own scroll unique... even IF others don't get the personalized logic behind it.

I LIKE for others to be able to see my scroll as I put it together.

So...I am iffy on this one TBH.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:03 PM, JavaTigress said:

So...I am iffy on this one TBH.

This would still be useful limited to your own scroll.

3 minutes ago, osmarks said:

This would still be useful limited to your own scroll.

Yes, I can absolutely agree with that. For my OWN scroll, I absolutely support more and better sorting options.

I was referring to using it on other scrolls. 

THOUGH to be fair I didn't say I was ABSOLUTELY opposed to that either... merely that I was unsure.

As someone who has a very particular custom sort that even I do not entirely understand, and enough dragons that I hate going into 'sort by breed' -> 'can I remember how to spell and what page is it on?', I agree with JavaTigress, Dragonlady86, and Soulsborne. I understand how users who get spammed with breeding requests would want to hide their best dragons, whereas those who don't get any queries even though they'd be happy to breed might want to help others look around their scroll.

A definite 'yes' for filter-by-breed on your own scroll, and a checkable option to say: "Allow others to filter your scroll? [yes/no.]" If 'yes', a filter-by-breed dropdown would appear on your public scroll page; if 'no' then it will not and an error page will show up if someone tries to direct-link to the sorted version of the scroll.