osmarks

Search scroll for specific breed

Often I see a trade on the hub asking for a dragon which I'm pretty sure I have and could breed, except it's very hard to actually find one on my 400-item scroll (it's sorted by age). Sort by breed wouldn't really help, since that just makes the order a bit more predictable but still involves checking through lots of them to find something which I want to breed. I could create groups, but I don't usually have many of each breed, and I'd need to manually keep all of them in sync constantly. Onto the actual suggestion:

a filter-by-breed option for the scroll at the top, similar to the one on the trade hub, except limited to what you have on your scroll.

1 minute ago, High Lord November said:

I'll second this, and also add having a filter function for the breeding page would also be a godsend!

Oh, definitely the breeding page, I forgot about that. It's very long.

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

Filtering would be lovely. I can't control f on mobile.

I can on computer, but can't actually ctrl+F by breed.

yeah, ctrl+f only works for dragon names, not breed names ...

support

1 minute ago, osmarks said:

I can on computer, but can't actually ctrl+F by breed.

Exactly. I sort by breed and use control f to find certain dragons by names, but I have so many dragons that I've accidentally scrolled by whole breed sections and mobile messes up pagination.

In short, I support filters.

Support. This would help so, so much!

This would be super helpful in finding the dragon I want.

Could we also have it on the Fertility page? It can be a pain to find the dragon I want to use Fertility on.

1 minute ago, UnicornMaiden said:

Could we also have it on the Fertility page? It can be a pain to find the dragon I want to use Fertility on.

Um ... we do have it on the Fertility page. Try it - it works for any breed whose adult sprite you have unlocked in the Encyclopedia.

Huh, I didn't realize it could work for breeds. When I tried using the filter there before it filtered by name and code. When I tried searching for Aeon I started typing ae- and got all the dragons with "ae" in their names or codes.

4 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

Huh, I didn't realize it could work for breeds. When I tried using the filter there before it filtered by name and code. When I tried searching for Aeon I started typing ae- and got all the dragons with "ae" in their names or codes.

It does that. It searches for everything with "ae", but if you keep typing it narrows it down as you go.

6 minutes ago, UnicornMaiden said:

When I tried searching for Aeon I started typing ae- and got all the dragons with "ae" in their names or codes.

Of course you do. It doesn't care what it's filtering for as long as the string you entered is part of it. Entering "Aeon" should make finding your Aeons easier - provided you have unlocked them. The filter works for codes, names and breed names (as in the Encyclopedia - Garland would be "Holiday Dragon (2017)").

Purple Ninja!

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Yeeeees pleeeeease! This isn't really relevant for me because I don't have that many dragons, but often I look through other peoples' scrolls and have to search ~30 pages just to get to a certain breed! ^^; Big support

I don't think this is about sorting other people's scrolls. I hope it isn't.

19 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think this is about sorting other people's scrolls. I hope it isn't.

It is not, but I have no idea why that should matter.

Honestly I'd like it on other people's, but I'm mostly concerned about my own.

Edited by osmarks

Because no-one should have the right to sort anyone else's scroll - even though temporarily. There's a whole thread about that where the idea was roundly shot down. But I can't find it.

But I did now:

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Because no-one should have the right to sort anyone else's scroll - even though temporarily. There's a whole thread about that where the idea was roundly shot down. But I can't find it.

I don't see why not. If I remember correctly then the main issue was being able to hide dragons in the list or something, which is kind of a bodge and would be best done with a dedicated hide option.

In any case, this just on your own scroll (/dragons) would be great anyway.

This would be great to use on my own scroll, I'd definitely use it! Definite no to using on other people's scrolls though, a lot of people spend a lot of time painstakingly sorting their dragons exactly how they want others to see them. People shouldn't be able to mess with how other users intend their scroll to look.

23 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

... a lot of people spend a lot of time painstakingly sorting their dragons exactly how they want others to see them. People shouldn't be able to mess with how other users intend their scroll to look.

What? It's not like sorting/filtering someone's scroll somehow affects them.

53 minutes ago, osmarks said:

What? It's not like sorting/filtering someone's scroll somehow affects them.

Like I said, some people *want* others to see their scroll a very specific way. Some people deliberately sort their scroll certain ways *because* that's how they want to present it to others. Imagine the scroll as a piece of art (since we are apparently sketching all those sprites). I wouldn't be happy to know that someone is deliberately screwing with the way my art looks just because it suits them better. If someone doesn't like how my scroll is sorted, too bad. That's how I want it to look, to myself *and* to others. 

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Like I said, some people *want* others to see their scroll a very specific way. Some people deliberately sort their scroll certain ways *because* that's how they want to present it to others. Imagine the scroll as a piece of art (since we are apparently sketching all those sprites). I wouldn't be happy to know that someone is deliberately screwing with the way my art looks just because it suits them better. If someone doesn't like how my scroll is sorted, too bad. That's how I want it to look, to myself *and* to others. 

For one thing, I personally find it most useful to me to sort by age but people visiting my scroll probably want it by breed. For another thing, it seems a bit weird to get rid of a useful way to find stuff on people's scrolls in the sake of not allowing people to view your list of dragons slightly differently.

EDIT: I mean, maybe we could have a "disallow others from sorting/filtering on scroll" option, but it seems odd.

Edited by osmarks