HeatherMarie

Change wording on naming page re punctuation

Apparently this has been a 'thing' for a long time, I posted about it a whole year ago in Help but it apparently hasn't been fixed so maybe making a suggestion will help?

When you go to name a dragon, it says this:

Enter a name for your dragon. Names may be up to 32 characters long, and can contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes (although punctuation at the beginning and end may be trimmed off)

However, that's not actually true. Punctuation at the beginning/end doesn't get trimmed off, it's just outright not allowed. When you try to put a space at the end, for example, you get the 'invalid characters' text:

You try to write the name, but several characters disappear as you write, so you decide to try something else.

The name you tried to use contains invalid characters. Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes.

Which doesn't make sense at all, because it says right there that spaces are allowed. The text should be re-worded to specify that punctuation at the beginning/end is *not allowed*, instead of 'trimmed off' which isn't true. (For information-sake it also does this with apostrophes at the end. And dashes.)

Link to old help thread

Support. The written rules should be the same as the ones that are actually enforced.

After every hiatus I get confused with naming my dragons because I forgot how this works. It especially sucks if a name is available but you accidentally put a space behind it and suddenly it's 'not available'. Changing the text could clear this confusion up! 

I have experienced this. It's not particularly annoying as a restriction, but was very confusing when I first encountered it. Support either not restricting this or documenting it.

*big Bump*

Will this ever get fixed? It's not a game-breaking bug but it *is* confusing and very misleading. It says names can contain spaces but beginning/end spaces may be 'trimmed off', but that's just not true. It's giving us downright false information, because spaces just aren't *allowed* at beginning/end, it just won't go through. 

I might be repeating myself from the similar threads, but yeah I totally think we should have as much clarity as possible regarding any sorts of rules or guidelines, so I'll voice my support for this too.

Another bump...

I don't mean to be a pain with such a small request, but it *is* a small request that shouldn't really be hard to implement. I don't care if punctuation isn't allowed at the beginning/end of names, but I *do* care that the explanation-text is downright wrong. It's confusing and frustrating to be specifically told things are allowed, and then be told those exact things are 'invalid characters'. 

Quick examples:

This

screenshot1.png.7844dd8d59048adc013212e37724634a.png

could become:

screenshot2.png.cbcb227bfc17f5a562106f285331135c.png

And this:

screenshot3.png.7a30c34c378c9b5cf51372ae3756574f.png

Could be something like:

screenshot4.png.cd9bd4316491ae7973174975e1584734.png

TOTALLY support.

I wanted to name a hatchie Bleedin' Freezin'

It says

You try to write the name, but several characters disappear as you write, so you decide to try something else.

The name you tried to use contains invalid characters. Names can only contain letters, numbers, spaces, apostrophes, and dashes.

But that's exactly all I have in there. (No there is not a space at the end !) Why can I not end a name with an apostrophe ?

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

TOTALLY support.

I wanted to name a hatchie Bleedin' Freezin'

It says

But that's exactly all I have in there. (No there is not a space at the end !) Why can I not end a name with an apostrophe ?

Hm, what seems to be the case is that you can ONLY have a number or letter as the last character in a name--dashes and apostrophes are treated the same way a space at the end of the name is, as an invalid character

1 hour ago, KageSora said:

Hm, what seems to be the case is that you can ONLY have a number or letter as the last character in a name--dashes and apostrophes are treated the same way a space at the end of the name is, as an invalid character

Yes, that's exactly what I said in my OP. The text is wrong because it says those characters are allowed while also *not* allowing them at the end or beginning (and calling them 'invalid characters' even though they are completely valid if not at the beginning/end).

Just to add - this restriction confusingly doesn't apply for usernames. I just finally changed my cave name to -Starbit-. It's plain confusing you can call yourself something you can't call a dragon. Either punctuation like apostrophes and dashes be allowed at the end of dragon names, or the text changed. 

I would fully support the text being changed, or fully support the game following the text's rules.

Either cut off my spaces for me, or don't tell me that spaces will be cut off!  :)

I also support end punctuation either being mentioned in the text, or the game allowing ending punctuation.  Again, one way or another the rules should actually be the rules!  Nothing in the naming instructions right now says that you can't have a name like What's Cookin', which is frustrating and confusing when you try to create the name and get denied without even a hint as to why.

Support. I really don't like it when the written text is not what actually happens.