Curatrix

Themes Overhaul for Main Site

I've been around on DC for a long while now but I would like to switch up the feel of the website every now and then but quite frankly I just don't find the other themes as appealing as the main one except for the 1960's one. I also understand that it's difficult to make good themes and that it's probably very tedious but I feel that would give the site a breath of fresh air that would be refreshing for all. So, I'll offer a few suggestions and you all will have to let me know if they're any good or not.

Suggestions:

• DC has different background images for each biome, these images could be used as alternative backgrounds to the default theme.
  • A site-wide hosted event could be done where users could submit mockups or code (I'm assuming like a CSS file or something of the sort) into a competition where users can vote for the ones they like the most to be implemented into the site. (I think this option could be a lot of fun for the artists and web developers here).
    • Whether or not there'll be a prize or not isn't up to me but I would assume there would be for those whose themes are selected to be added.
  • Customization menu in which users can select different scroll styles (the paper just to clarify) and different backgrounds where they can mix and match.
    • Additionally, a blur effect could be added via a slider or input box where users can select how much blur they want for their background.
  • Or if nothing else, a simple recolor of the website to have a dark theme would be very welcome.

Misc Suggestions:

• Being able to choose from more than one main font for the site could be neat.
  • A darker version of the 1960's theme would be great in my opinion and could look really cool.

So those are my suggestions. Hopefully, you all can provide some feedback on this and maybe TJ will take it into serious consideration. Both ways it's just a suggestion, let me know what you think! :D 

Edited by Curatrix
Just adding a thing I forgot.

Why not just run with Stylish or similar (Stylish is evil, I do know this.)  You can also do weird things with fonts in your browser settings.

The only thing that interests me here is that we MUST keep a vanilla skin for those of us who don't like all the fancy stuff (and who find the default page nauseating because of the shifting background PcrjnqghXgoGjBUfiWbw.gif) and/or have dodgy connections. I know TJ says the default loads just as fast as - say - St Pat's - but it doesn't, in many users' experience.

Also TJ has said more than once that maintaining several skins is very time consuming.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Which is also why he *retired* some, a few years ago.

Yes - I DREAD the day he retires St Pat's without putting in a truly vanilla one. The default really makes me feel ill when I scroll down.

I still have the Dino Cave theme as I had never swapped out of it. I can show you pictures of you want via PM but I'm mostly on mobile so I use the mobile theme. It would be nice to have different mobile themss but hey, I'm not complaining

Why should things have to be different for mobile - you can always use web view... (I do; I hate the mobile payout !)

I'm unfamiliar with Stylish Fuzzbucket, what is it? Dino Cave theme? that would be interesting to see Dalek Raptor.

As for the maintaining themes, I realized it would be a bit tedious, which is why I suggested easy solutions such a simple background swap using images already on the site and a recolor so I thought it might be considered a feasible option.

I'll comment that I've heard recommendations to use Stylus, personally.

Also, mobile Chrome can't use plugins, but mobile Firefox can.

Oh okay, thanks Ruby Eyes and Fuzzbucket. But still, it would be nice to have the themes built into the site rather than having to try and do it myself (My coding skills are very poor).