Dragonfruiteen

Flamingo white alt

(I just joined the forums today and apologize if this isn't the right place. I spent a lot of time looking through forum rules to be sure I'm not breaking any, I hope >.< )

SoI was reading the Wiki page for Flamingo Wyverns and saw this bit.

(Fun fact: there was originally a pitch for a white alt flamingo that would have a one in ten chance of appearing in bred eggs. Sadly, it was scrapped.)"

I think a Flamingo alt like this would be a lot of fun, and I would love to see it added.

Haha, I agree, that would be pretty cool. However, the Flamingoes were released a long time ago in 2010, and two of its three spriters haven't been on the forums for over two years, so it might not be so likely that an alt/variant would be possible anyway, sadly.

@Corteo is the still-active spriter for the Flamingoes, so it'd be pretty cool to see what they have to say about why the white idea was scrapped? ^_^

It's been so long that I don't really remember, but I think the decision was made to simplify the concept.

@Corteo: Would you be willing to ask TJ to add a white alt to the flamingos? And, of course, be willing to make it, provided TJ is willing? Heck, even a recolor would be cool. :) 

13 minutes ago, olympe said:

@Corteo: Would you be willing to ask TJ to add a white alt to the flamingos? And, of course, be willing to make it, provided TJ is willing? Heck, even a recolor would be cool. :) 

I'm a big fan of the male flamingo sprite, so seconding this. A white alt would be amazing either way!

While I’m not sure how likely this would happen, it is something that would be really neat. I would definitely be in favor of it. ^_^

I would love this!

And on the spriter issue:  can't a white alt be a totaly diffrent sprite 'inspired' by flamingos? I mean, black alts barely resembles the standard sprite...

I don't know how much time it takes to do a dragon from scetches to coding, but a white alt for flamingo would be an awersome release for february-march (valentines and blossoms ya know)

The game sure could use a few more purely white dragons for lineage building. The White dragons we have now are alright, but their sprites just look... kinda uninteresting so I don't bother with using them in lineages. But this is entirely up to the spriter(s) to decide if they want to do it or not, and I'd be fine with either choice.

3 hours ago, camelia2 said:

I would love this!

And on the spriter issue:  can't a white alt be a totaly diffrent sprite 'inspired' by flamingos? I mean, black alts barely resembles the standard sprite...

I don't know how much time it takes to do a dragon from scetches to coding, but a white alt for flamingo would be an awersome release for february-march (valentines and blossoms ya know)

Blacks and Dark Greens (Vines) are a special case because they were the sprites created when replacing the original copyrighted sprites.  and with both dragons two versions were submitted and TJ decided to use both.

Presumably, the alt idea was dropped because it's harder to get into the cave with alts (or it was, we've had an influx of biome alts in recent years) Neutral on the idea of getting it back.  If we do, great another set of sprites to collect, if not, oh well.

3 hours ago, Sazandora said:

The game sure could use a few more purely white dragons for lineage building. The White dragons we have now are alright, but their sprites just look... kinda uninteresting so I don't bother with using them in lineages. But this is entirely up to the spriter(s) to decide if they want to do it or not, and I'd be fine with either choice.

Well, a white alt would probably still have the dark markings, just like the pink ones.

Just my hot stanky opinion, but I would love a flamingo alt possibility if it had a chance to hatch from CBs as well. As it stands now, CB flamingos seem kinda unwanted because they're easily mistaken for pinks, and the chance to play alt lotto with them could possibly make them a little bit more desirable, imo.

34 minutes ago, olympe said:

Well, a white alt would probably still have the dark markings, just like the pink ones.

Well okay, I might have slightly misworded my original post, my bad. But honestly, a white Flamingo with the dark markings intact sounds like a really cool idea. :D

A white alt sounds cool, but who would make it?

Editing or making sprites requires permission from all spriter parties.

Corteo already has permission so they could make an alt if they wanted.

That said.

A white alt would be nice! Like real flamingos.

istock000004767349small.jpg

Edited by Shokomon
Typos

10 hours ago, Malcorium said:

Just my hot stanky opinion, but I would love a flamingo alt possibility if it had a chance to hatch from CBs as well. As it stands now, CB flamingos seem kinda unwanted because they're easily mistaken for pinks, and the chance to play alt lotto with them could possibly make them a little bit more desirable, imo.

Oh, I like that! Also makes checkers easier?

If Corteo is on board then I think this would be really cool. I like the idea of them being able to be CB, like Dorsal and Ridgewing alts. Maybe the egg could be a pearly pink, so the description still sort of fits but it is visible right away like the other CB alts?

1 hour ago, GhostMouse said:

If Corteo is on board then I think this would be really cool. I like the idea of them being able to be CB, like Dorsal and Ridgewing alts. Maybe the egg could be a pearly pink, so the description still sort of fits but it is visible right away like the other CB alts?

You mean like Nebulas? Or Sweetlings? XD 

2 minutes ago, olympe said:

You mean like Nebulas? Or Sweetlings? XD 

...Oh, right! :lol: 

Nebulas are a good example of why I would like an indicator at the egg stage, though!

Agreed. I love to know what I'm getting - and I also prefer alts that are available as CB, too. For lineage purposes and all that.

Hmm, I'd have to re-breed my marrow x flamingo lines for the white alt, too. I think they'd look pretty good, too.

Technically flamingos get their pink color from thier diet, turning white when they don't get enough of thier particular foods, so somthing similar could happen with the eggs.

A female Flamingo doesn't eat enough of the algae/plankton and lays an egg that isn't as pink as it should be. That would be the indicator for the altm It would still be pink to march the description, but a much lighter pink.

- Pink egg: Pink_egg.gif

- Flamingo egg: Flamingo_egg.gif

- Alt color: 

Pale Pink

Something like this? Idk

Well, flamingo dragons don't have to be exactly the same as flamingo birds - or all flamingo eggs would be white anyway. 

They could be non-pink from eating only white Flamingoes XD

I'd like a non-pink egg or some way to tell they are alt immediately after hatching (like undines). Nebs are great, but it's a killer to wait for them to gender.

I’d prefer the S1 hatchling to be white, like how you can tell alt Undine hatchies from S1. The egg has a lot of white highlight on it so it’d kinda make sense for it to hatch from the egg I guess :)