tjekan

BSA: Certify

"This hatchling's egg has been given an influence to hatch male/female."

The word "influence" alone should give a hint that this is not accurate science. But, again, it fails SO RARELY that I'm sure we will manage to deal with the handful of additional questions in TLQ regarding this.

Fact is, outside the hub, traders already ask to be given a screenshot of that specific information - and screenshots can be faked rather easily. Having the site itself give access to that information will also remove this option for scamming. If the note is not there, the hatchling in question hasn't been influenced OR precognized.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I would love the info to be shown where it can be comfirmed by any party, as mentioned earlier. When they get sick, there's a little note at the bottom of the description. A similar note to appear for used BSAs seems possible. (This egg has been influenced to be ____.) Then there's no constant worry someone has or hasn't, and if someone has and it failed, the blame is on the BSA itself failing. Having to have yet another BSA to confirm whether the first BSA worked seems excessive, however. Just a note as basic functionality to aid trading (and as a reminder for the forgetful among us) would be very helpful.

Plus, in the trade hub, we're not allowed to ask for communication via forum. So there *has* to be another way to get that information.

Please no BSA. I really don't see the point of an important trading feature being attached to a relatively rare dragon...

I would love the site having a BSA like this as long as it would be on a common dragon like the formerly suggested Script dragon. I generally don't even trade for ungendered hatchlings right now unless they're CBs and the gender doesn't matter to me. Having a BSA like this would wipe out any doubt when considering accepting an ungendered hatchling that is supposedly going to gender correctly.

I really like the idea of having a record of BSAs used that is visible on the egg/hatchling's page. I don't really see a reason for it to be a BSA itself.

If I traded for a hatchling and was told it had been influenced, only to have it misgender, I would suspect I had been lied to and would probably not trade with that user again. If I traded for a hatchling and could know it had been influenced, and then had it misgender, I would be disappointed but would understand that the influence had failed, and that it was no one's fault.

I don't do much trading at all but I would still find this very useful just for my own notes. It would be much quicker and easier than sifting through the action log to check which egg I influenced to be which gender.

I'm with Ghostmouse. No BSA, just the information.

On 11/2/2018 at 8:58 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

It succeeds often enough that it would help tremendously if that information could simply be tacked onto each hatchling trade.

On 11/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, HeatherMarie said:

But then we'd get people complaining that the site gave misleading information, or that the trader was being misleading, or simply 'why did it say that and then gender like this??'... The 'note' or whatever would have to make it clear that Influence *can* fail, that an Influenced gender is not 100%. 

Quoting both of these for truth.

I Can SEE the value of being able to tag it onto a trade ( And DOUBLE for precog which CANNOT fail AFAIK?).

BUT I DO think a disclaimer that influences can fail might b helpful for those that don't already know. ;)

3 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

I really like the idea of having a record of BSAs used that is visible on the egg/hatchling's page. I don't really see a reason for it to be a BSA itself.

If I traded for a hatchling and was told it had been influenced, only to have it misgender, I would suspect I had been lied to and would probably not trade with that user again. If I traded for a hatchling and could know it had been influenced, and then had it misgender, I would be disappointed but would understand that the influence had failed, and that it was no one's fault.

I don't do much trading at all but I would still find this very useful just for my own notes. It would be much quicker and easier than sifting through the action log to check which egg I influenced to be which gender.

Agreed! All of it!

On 11/2/2018 at 7:12 AM, Ruby Eyes said:

It would make sense to just attach an influence or precog note with a hatchling in a teleport. After all, you also attach the hatchling's whole lineage "papers," if it has any.

I like this idea. Not as a BSA, but as Ruby Eyes suggested; a note along with the lineage "papers."  

This would be nice...

suggestion_add_note_to_teleport.png

The actual text of the note that other users can read on the teleport page afterwards would have to be very clear about what "influenced" means and that it can fail as long as there is no precog confirming it.

The checkboxes would only be available for hatchlings. There would probably have to be an explanation for users who influenced an egg and don't understand why they can't add that information to a trade.

On 11/1/2018 at 12:22 PM, tjekan said:

Reason: I'm so sick of getting traded non-influenced or mis-influenced hatchlings. There isn't even space in the tiny trading box to ASK for correctly influenced things, and there certainly is no way to inform anyone you're trading TO that you've influenced something properly. The more trade shifts off the forums and onto the site, the less information anybody has or can ask for or volunteer, and it's annoying.

I have seen a lot of "influenced" eggs being offered in trades, too, and I think this is really just a problem with the Influence action.  It ought to state after influencing something along the lines of 'this action will be void if you abandon or trade an egg' or something that gives an indication of the limits of the action.  It's kind of backwards that it DOESN'T tell you anywhere that Influence can be undone, and in fact deliberately implies that it cannot, via the "this action is irreversible" message.  No wonder many players think they can influence an egg and then trade it as guaranteed to gender that way!  They were basically told they could by the game itself.

I also strongly feel that revealing a hatchie's gender with Precog should cause the "Gender:" field to appear on its page.  I can understand why it won't show if "it may still be influenced," but for eggs under 3 days and for hatchlings I really don't get why revealing the gender doesn't... reveal the gender!  On the actual dragon, not in my personal Actions Log that only I can see.  This setup seems specifically designed to confuse (you can't tell if you already precogged something by looking at it, so you could easily mix up which egg you're offering) and to lend itself to deliberate trading fraud (you can say "precog F" in the text box, but you can't link to any kind of image as proof and potential partners have no way to verify that you did the precog, so you can easily lie).

Having the "Gender:" field show up once an ineligible-for-influence dragon is precogged just seems sensible from both a personal and a trading perspective. 

8 hours ago, sorenna said:

It's kind of backwards that it DOESN'T tell you anywhere that Influence can be undone

https://dragcave.net/help/actions#bsa-influence

Incubate

Can be performed on: Eggs with over 3 days left
Usage Limitations: Once per two weeks per dragon, each egg can only be incubated once.
Wears off after abandonment or teleporting.

Incubating an egg removes one day from its timer, enabling it to hatch faster.

Influence

Can be performed on: Eggs with over 3 days left
Usage Limitations: Once per week per dragon, each egg can only be influenced once
Wears off after abandonment or teleporting.

This action enables you to increase the chance of an egg being the same gender as the dragon that uses this action. This allows you to essentially choose which gender you would like an egg to be.

^ how many players, particularly new ones actually read the help page though?  It really should have note of that along with the other warnings on the page where you use it.

That IS their choice. I speak as one who missed a LOT by not reading it !

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

how many players, particularly new ones actually read the help page though?

No idea. I did, back then. I always do on new sites.

I did too, but there was a whole lot less info then as well.  (Kinda miss the disclaimer about being pelted with moldy cheese if you broke the rules. lol)

has been for years.  TJ took it out because it apparently confused a lot of people.  Always made me laugh.

on topic, Id prefer to just have the info somewhere rather than a bsa.  The idea of it appearing on the view page actually makes  a lot of sense.

I support a BSA or just text added somewhere - either way, I think this would be a nice feature to have.

Another nice feature, to get around the influence failure problem, is to just get rid of the stupid minuscule fail chance that's so minimal some people who've played this game for years and never seen it so we can have ease of mind/trading. 

I have actually seen it. And yes it's infuriating. But I am not in favour of making everything totally failproof. That's too easy.

I'd be cool with this as a BSA if it was given to the Script and not the Paper.

I'd also be cool with it just being a site feature, though that brings up the occasional privacy concern if it's NOT being used for trading.

tl;dr I could go for either but prefer Script BSA.