TheOldHat

Where's our Diamond Trophy?

2 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

I dunno... this game has absolutely nothing in terms of long-term gameplay. There's literally nothing here to keep users coming back unless you keep releasing new dragon breeds for the rest of forever. There's no activities, no goals to work towards... once you have the sprites/lineages you want, what are you supposed to do?

Other features of the site are unnecessarily difficult/inflated for keeping people here - zombies, ratios, etc - so why not have higher trophies be like that? 

There's no real benefit to being a long term user - why not let people have a reward for long term investment when there's literally nothing else on this entire site that's a reward for being here so long. 

Lineages are FUN. MUCH more fun than "aiming" for a trophy. I've got well over 7000 dragons, and any new trophy is likely to pass me by with automatic arrival. I wouldn't exert myself to get one though, I have lineages to build.

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Lineages are FUN. MUCH more fun than "aiming" for a trophy. I've got well over 7000 dragons, and any new trophy is likely to pass me by with automatic arrival. I wouldn't exert myself to get one though, I have lineages to build.

I think lineages are fun, but I will say they are certainly not fun for everyone. I've known for years that if you don't find lineages fun, this game pretty much has nothing else to offer you.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I think lineages are fun, but I will say they are certainly not fun for everyone. I've known for years that if you don't find lineages fun, this game pretty much has nothing else to offer you.

And you think that a couple of new trophies will be able to keep people going where lineages won't? I seriously doubt that.

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

And yet you play on.

Obviously people want them. Wouldn't be asking if they didn't. I know enough people who will do things in games just to get the trophy.

@Fuzzbucket I said I find lineages fun. I think you missed that part. I said others don't.

4 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Obviously people want them. Wouldn't be asking if they didn't. I know enough people who will do things in games just to get the trophy.

But do people want trophies because they want something to work towards, or do they want them because they inevitably come with benefits that they actually want (i.e. more egg slots)?

Because it's those benefits that I'm concerned about (giving more eggs to a small handful of people while everyone else needs to play for years to get there), but I also suspect that just the trophy itself doesn't really carry much weight.

One thing I might dig more into is egg slot utilization. It's possible that the people who use their egg slots the most are the same people who are working towards that type of trophy anyways. If missing out on egg slots doesn't actually inconvenience people who don't collect huge amounts of dragons, then it's irrelevant to claim any unfairness.

where did I say anything about fun?

You can, however, make the exact same lineage on day 1 as day 38299238 assuming you have the right dragons. Lineages are not a long-term goal. You're just breeding dragons; if you have the right dragons, the activity takes 2 seconds. 

I mean the only other "long term" goals are JUST as inflated - zombies, for example. And ratios making long-term lineage building unnecessarily unfair depending on the breeds you want to use. Raffles.

What's so wrong about wanting an end goal that takes a long time to work towards? from my experience it would take ~2 years to get a 2.5k diamond trophy. Somewhere between 4 and 5 years for a further 5k trophy. I don't think that's unreasonable considering collecting all the prizes from the raffle is theoretically impossible/infinite. And even everyone getting just one (assuming no double winners) was calculated out at what? 52 years?

My point is that there are other things in the game that are JUST as stupidly skewed / long term but they're fine. I don't see "because people would need to work for it" as an excuse to not add a logical end-game step. 

13 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

But do people want trophies because they want something to work towards, or do they want them because they inevitably come with benefits that they actually want (i.e. more egg slots)?

Because it's those benefits that I'm concerned about (giving more eggs to a small handful of people while everyone else needs to play for years to get there), but I also suspect that just the trophy itself doesn't really carry much weight.

One thing I might dig more into is egg slot utilization. It's possible that the people who use their egg slots the most are the same people who are working towards that type of trophy anyways. If missing out on egg slots doesn't actually inconvenience people who don't collect huge amounts of dragons, then it's irrelevant to claim any unfairness.

Please explain what you would think of doing with "utilisation". I use my slots a LOT; I'm usually locked (I'm only not at the moment because of LIFE...) and am not particularly interested in another trophy. Sure more slots is always nice, but still.

Personally I wouldn't mind a trophy-goal that doesn't come with any actual benefits, the 'benefit' just being earning that nice shiny trophy. I'm pretty sure a few other people have expressed that as well, that more egg slots are *not* the only reason more trophies may be wanted. (Actually I'd much rather have some other sort of benefit, like more kill slots or better chances at zombies.....)

Also, I have to jump in re the idea that DC doesn't have any sort of long-term gameplay. DC is *very* much a 'what you make of it' game. Sure, if all you want is to collect 2-4 of each type of dragon, then long-term gameplay may be boring and offer no real benefits or challenges. If you aren't interested in breeding or lineages, you may have a harder time finding reasons to stick around. But that's all your choice. Some people have much higher goals that keep them here for *years*, and if you *do* make lineages there are very pretty holiday pairings and rare pairings that will get you to stick around for quite awhile!

As for me, I've been here 10 years now and I still have *over 100 breeds* that I need more of for my scroll-goals. Over 100 breeds! (Though that counts different types, like Nebulas, separately.) I won't be getting tired of DC, or feeling like there is nothing to do, for a LONG time, because I have deliberately set my goals in a way that *gives* me something to do. That's the main thing, I think. DC is the kind of game where it *can* be totally fulfilling and fun for *years*, but it all depends on what you decide your personal goals are. 

Regardless, it could certainly be fun/beneficial for people to simply have another goal to work towards. But I certainly understand TJ's points.

Personally, if another trophy is added my reaction would probably be "oh no..." and a deep sigh. I'm working towards diamond (800/1000) and I just want to have it so I feel free afterwards. XD 

I've been playing for close to 10 years and I would love more egg slots and a trophy. As something new to shoot for. I use DC as a way to help curb my ADHD collection urgers. So I'm not filling my house with junk. ^^; So more egg slots and another trophy I am all for. ^_^

WB 

1 hour ago, Cinspawn said:

Personally, if another trophy is added my reaction would probably be "oh no..." and a deep sigh. I'm working towards diamond (800/1000) and I just want to have it so I feel free afterwards. XD 

Well, it's the other way round for me. I'd probably have the trophy as soon as it gets released. It was the same for the platinum, too. I'm not 100% sure about the gold, whether I reached it shortly before or shortly after implementation, but it wasn't long."Oh, another trophy without even trying. Yay me! :huh:"

8 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, it's the other way round for me. I'd probably have the trophy as soon as it gets released. It was the same for the platinum, too. I'm not 100% sure about the gold, whether I reached it shortly before or shortly after implementation, but it wasn't long."Oh, another trophy without even trying. Yay me! :huh:"

This too. BUT - if a new trophy, I would like it tied to more kill and freeze slots. THAT would be useful. Especially with all he new zombie sprites. I don't really do "scroll goals" but I do want to collect all of those, and with the VERY poor fail/dodge rate (I'm looking at you, TJ; there's a thread) it will take me years. With the current kill limits, it would do anyway.

Generally, kill slots should be tied to trophies, like freeze slots. It's kind of overdue!

So more trophies should definitely increase both as well! :D

I could imagine a couple of ways higher trophies could give benefits without increasing the egg slots, either directly or indirectly (=hatching eggs quicker).

Like already mentioned, additional kill slots or freezes, sure.

Shorter cooldown on breedings.

Shorter cooldown for abandoning CB eggs, 

Other ideas?

higher chances at zombification XD

higher modifier for Fertility?

higher chances at same-colour babies for breeds with random hatching colours ...

Unlocking all breeds in the encyclopedia? Adding info on every breed with every trophy?

Better timers? ;) 

53 minutes ago, olympe said:

Better timers? ;) 

That should not be tied to trophies, I think.

Market price reduction on random breeds? XD

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Market price reduction on random breeds? XD

Make that commons only... Buy one, get one free for breeds that cost 100 shards.

Just now, olympe said:

Make that commons only... Buy one, get one free for breeds that cost 100 shards.

haha I'd love a 'bogo' for market eggs! ... I actually like the concept of 'sales' on market eggs in general, not the regular price fluctuations but limited-time sales would be so cool. I agree only for commons, though.

9 minutes ago, olympe said:

Only if that comes with a free temporary slot for it, too!

Actually, the general ability to buy temporary eggslots in the market for a market-bought egg could be a bonus to come with higher trophies.

Edited by Ruby Eyes